Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin #12
http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000499554/nfl-coach-power-rankings

NFL.com

Not sure he's overly deserving of that rank, but it's about as high as I'd put him.

Amazing that he's the second longest tenured coach now. 0-6 in the playoffs.... ouch.

Thoughts?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
He's Marvin Lukewarm.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 12:18 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: He's Marvin Lukewarm.

Marvin Milquetoast?

At least in the playoffs.  Sad

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
More like the #12 best coach in NFL HISTORY!

It's a QB driven league where it's almost impossible to win consistently without an elite or top level QB. Everyone says we have a horrible starting QB - and yet Marvin still gets us to the playoffs year after year. Name one other coach who has done that the last 4 years without a Hall of Fame level QB.

So, either Marvin is a much better coach than he's getting credit for, or Andy is a much better QB than he's getting credit for.
Reply/Quote
I agree with Joe. I might get frustrated at times with the loses in big games but he's brought in talent and good coaches and id take our success over the last 10 or so years over the the 90's any day. We actually have built a team that free agents want to look at and some of that credit has to be on his shoulders. But so too I suppose the criticsm over game planning in those playoff losses. But id say he's ranked about where he deserves.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 01:00 AM)Joe Pong Wrote: More like the #12 best coach in NFL HISTORY!

It's a QB driven league where it's almost impossible to win consistently without an elite or top level QB. Everyone says we have a horrible starting QB - and yet Marvin still gets us to the playoffs year after year. Name one other coach who has done that the last 4 years without a Hall of Fame level QB.

So, either Marvin is a much better coach than he's getting credit for, or Andy is a much better QB than he's getting credit for.

To be fair, Wilson isn't really a top level QB, but then of course they have that defense and, more importantly, they have Lynch, which we didn't have Hill for the playoff game last season.

Marvin might not be elite, but, for how he's put this team together and how he's coached us into the playoffs the last four years, he's an above average coach, so 12th is about right.

If we (Hill, most importantly) can stay healthy this year, I fully expect us to get a playoff win with no doubt in my mind.
Reply/Quote
It's funny how all the coaches that beat him in the playoffs rank lower than him.
Reply/Quote
About right for Marvin Lewis. I would maybe place him a couple higher.
But Tomlin... #6 sort of discredits this ranking.

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 04:02 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: To be fair, Wilson isn't really a top level QB, but then of course they have that defense and, more importantly, they have Lynch, which we didn't have Hill for the playoff game last season.

Marvin might not be elite, but, for how he's put this team together and how he's coached us into the playoffs the last four years, he's an above average coach, so 12th is about right.

If we (Hill, most importantly) can stay healthy this year, I fully expect us to get a playoff win with no doubt in my mind.

Wilson is, at the very least, a top ten QB. He might even be a bit higher.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 05:34 AM)MrRager Wrote: Wilson is, at the very least, a top ten QB. He might even be a bit higher.

No he's not.

10 QB's that are better: Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, Matthew Stafford and Tony Romo.

There's even a few more I could list. Dial me when Wilson carries his team year after year like the players listed above and you might have something that resembles an argument. For now, Wilson is ~ a top 15-12 QB who plays on a historically good team.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 04:54 AM)orangeandblackblood Wrote: About right for Marvin Lewis. I would maybe place him a couple higher.
But Tomlin... #6 sort of discredits this ranking.

Been to two Super Bowls and won one of them.  I'd say he deserves that #6 ranking.  He does ride the coattails of Roethlisberger though.  But most of these top coaches do.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
This seems about right to me. Marvin is not elite, but he is obviously as pretty good head coach. I'd be willing to replace him if an upgrade was available, but those type of guys are rarely looking for jobs.

There could have been a good argument for him to be fired after the '10 season, but now he is clearly one of the better coaches in the league.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 04:26 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It's funny how all the coaches that beat him in the playoffs rank lower than him.

Not really.  Some people think that winning a playoff game is some magical feat, but the fact is that some below average head coaches have won a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 11:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Not really.  Some people think that winning a playoff game is some magical feat, but the fact is that some below average head coaches have won a playoff game.

Meh, they just made the poll at the right time. In 2009 Rex Ryan would surely rate higher than Marvin Lewis... he outcoached him 2 weeks in a row.

Sure the Jets went down a bad road towards the end of his tenure, but it's not like a Marvin Lewis team has never hit rock bottom either.

At least Ryan got his team to the AFCC twice.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 11:42 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Meh, they just made the poll at the right time. In 2009 Rex Ryan would surely rate higher than Marvin Lewis... he outcoached him 2 weeks in a row.

Sure the Jets went down a bad road towards the end of his tenure, but it's not like a Marvin Lewis team has never hit rock bottom either.

At least Ryan got his team to the AFCC twice.

Dom Capers was 32 games under .500 as a head coach (48-80).  He only made the playoffs one time in his 8 seasons.  Does the fact that he won a playoff game make him better than Marvin?
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Dom Capers was 32 games under .500 as a head coach (48-80).  He only made the playoffs one time in his 8 seasons.  Does the fact that he won a playoff game make him better than Marvin?

Am I talking about Dom Capers? No I'm talking about Rex Ryan.

I don't think Mike McCoy is a better coach even though he beat Marvin in the playoffs.

I'm talking Rex Ryan, who was with Marvin in Baltimore, hence having the same background before becoming a head coach. Who has done more between Rex Ryan and Marvin?

Sure Marvin has been to the playoffs more frequently, but who has accomplished more?
Reply/Quote
Id put him in the 10-12 range at the most so yeah no problem with this ranking. If he would have a playoff win or two or more under his belt, he would definitely be in the top 5-10 range.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 12:04 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Am I talking about Dom Capers? No I'm talking about Rex Ryan.

Then why did you quote my comment that said nothing about Rex Ryan?

Lighten up Francis.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 12:04 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Sure Marvin has been to the playoffs more frequently, but who has accomplished more?

Rex Ryan was handed a talented, winning team.  He had some success for a couple of years and then ran it into the ground.

He has accomplished more than than Marvin, but I am not really that impressed.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 01:00 AM)Joe Pong Wrote: More like the #12 best coach in NFL HISTORY!

Name one other coach that has won a playoff game without a HOF QB in the past 4 years.

Here's some: Gary Kubiak (against the Bengals twice, with QBs TJ Yates and Matt Schaub). John Fox with Tim Tebow. Jim Harbaugh with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. Ron Rivera with Cam Newton.

They all didn't have to make it to the playoffs the past 4 years, but they've all had more success the past 4 years than Marvin Lewis has had his entire head coaching career.

Troll harder next time.
Reply/Quote