Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin #12
(07-04-2015, 04:10 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Fisher - Currently no, overall yes.

Overall does not matter.  That has been one of my biggest points all along.  You say what Marvin did 10 years ago matters now, but not with Fisher.

No one would consider Fisher a "Super Bowl" coach when he has only had 2 winning seasons in the last 11 years.  When judging coaches we have to look at what is happening now.  Not 11 years ago.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2015, 11:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Overall does not matter.  That has been one of my biggest points all along.  You say what Marvin did 10 years ago matters now, but not with Fisher.

No one would consider Fisher a "Super Bowl" coach when he has only had 2 winning seasons in the last 11 years.  When judging coaches we have to look at what is happening now.  Not 11 years ago.

Sure, fine, Fisher stinks. He turned the team with Injury Bradford and Kellen Clemens as their QBs into a team that can give Seattle fits, but whatever, ill let you have that one.

Good job dodging my question about John Fox tho. A guy who has had success in the past and present and was also available to replace Marvin THIS OFFSEASON. ThumbsUp

Sounds like he meets your criteria of replacing Marvin? A proven coach who has done it in the past, in the present, with good QBs with not so good QBs, and was available for hire.
OH WELL.

I'm sure its because "Peyton Manning carried the team" and "Elway put together a great team before he got there" and a bunch of other reasons why John Fox isn't a good coach, regardless of his history.

I don't even like John Fox, but ill be eagerly awaiting your explanation as to why John Fox isn't quite as good as the great Marvin Lewis :snark:

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2015, 12:16 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Harbaugh was for a short time.  He'll spend the next few years turning around Michigan then the next 7-8 owning the Big 10.

If Urban Meyer is still coaching in the Big 10, that will be near impossible to 'owning' the Big 10.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2015, 01:38 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I don't even like John Fox, but ill be eagerly awaiting your explanation as to why John Fox isn't quite as good as the great Marvin Lewis :snark:

I wouldn't hire John Fax because you don't like him.

Honestly I would say that Fox is probably a better coach than Marvin, but at the same time I feel we would have been much better the last three years with Peyton Manning at QB.

So it is hard to say that Fox could achieve more with this team in '15 than Fox.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2015, 02:01 PM)EatonFan Wrote: If Urban Meyer is still coaching in the Big 10, that will be near impossible to 'owning' the Big 10.

And Harbaugh will probably not last 7-8 years.  He seems to wear out his welcome pretty quickly.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Dom Capers was 32 games under .500 as a head coach (48-80).  He only made the playoffs one time in his 8 seasons.  Does the fact that he won a playoff game make him better than Marvin?

Lewis is better than average simply because of the changes he's brought to Cinci and the fact that the team does get to the playoffs regularly. That's a vast improvement over the Mike Brown Ouija (WeeGee) board show of the 90's.

The Bengals went from the worst run team in all of professional sports to one that has a chance most years.

That's the good.

However, Lewis gets knocked down the list for his teams showing so poorly in prime time and playoff games. We aren't just talking about not winning a playoff game here, we're talking about getting their asses kicked 6 times in row, being out coached 6 times row, being unprepared 6 times in a row and having no answers in the second half 6 times in a row. These games weren't even close and that knocks him down the list and it should.

Many other teams would have canned him by now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Can't really argue this. Lewis helps to get his teams to the playoffs every single year, and then lets them fall apart in the big games. I like that he's changed the feel of the organization, but honestly, it needs changed again.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-04-2015, 10:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: How do you win it all if you don't make the playoffs?

This poll is about who is the best coach right now, not 6 years ago.

Excellent point.

With that in mind, I would put most of the coaches ahead of him. If we're going by their ability in a single, specific game and not just an overall look at their career, then Marvin is very unreliable. 
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 11:09 AM)Benton Wrote: Excellent point.

With that in mind, I would put most of the coaches ahead of him. If we're going by their ability in a single, specific game and not just an overall look at their career, then Marvin is very unreliable. 

Lots of bad coaches have won a playoff game.  Lots of good coaches have lost playoff games.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2015, 09:13 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Many other teams would have canned him by now.

Many other teams might have fired him after the '10 season, but not very many would fire him now.
Reply/Quote
Marvy not in the top 5? This list is garbage.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 01:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lots of bad coaches have won a playoff game.  Lots of good coaches have lost playoff games.

Ergo: lots of bad coaches have lost playoff games and lots of good head coaches have won playoff games.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rex Ryan was handed a talented, winning team.  He had some success for a couple of years and then ran it into the ground.

He has accomplished more than than Marvin, but I am not really that impressed.

In fairness, I think Woody and Tannenbaum had way more to do with the fall of the Jets.

From everything I've read, it didn't seem like Rex was the one assembling the "talent" on the Jets. 

For example, I read that Rex hated the Stephen Hill pick, and we didn't hear anything about Rex being interested in Sanchez when he was available this year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 01:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lots of bad coaches have won a playoff game.  Lots of good coaches have lost playoff games.

How many good or bad ones have lost 6 in a row?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
It's fitting that Marvin is #12 because he led us out of the dark ages and to the promised land of 6 12th place finishes in 12 years. Seriously, 6 12th place finishes in 12 years and some people have the gall to think anyone could come in here and do better.

For shame.
Reply/Quote