Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Ball.
Cincy progressively gets worse against the average as the game progresses. This might be because they get off to hot starts, but the stats prove what we see. Quintessential Marvin Ball.

1st quarter - 4th in points
2nd quarter - 10th in points
3rd quarter - 12th in points
4th quarter - 16th in points

New England (the team that doesn't give a shit about the scoreboard):
1st quarter - 5th in points
2nd quarter - 2nd in points
3rd quarter - 4th in points
4th quarter - 3rd in points

Arizona (leading the league in TDs, I believe) - look how they close and open the half.
1st quarter - 6th in points
2nd quarter - 1st in points
3rd quarter - 1st in points
4th quarter - 13th in points (probably time for them to take the pedal off)
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Given we have the best scoring defense, I'd love to see the same breakdown for the same team showing points allowed. Are the other teams playing hard because they have to or because they want to?
Reply/Quote
There are some really interesting statistics that go along with this, if we only look at the top tier teams.

Otherwise for example, Pittsburgh is almost at the bottom of the league in 1st quarter points, but they're #1 in 4th quarter (probably because they're trying to catch up!). At the same time, they're #1 in the league in time of possession for the 1st quarter. They like to do sustained long drives in the 1st quarter (get no points), but they score in the 2nd.

I'll try to calculate the statistics for what you asked.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see this over the last 5 years.

Obviously, it's somewhat misleading this year. Raiders, Bills, Chiefs, Browns, Rams, Browns and 49ers. All games where the Bengals had 3 TD leads...it's hard to expect much 4th quarter (or even 2nd half production).

I also think this is a game flow thing. Like last night...we started great. When you happen to get a big lead, don't pack it in against good teams (if you're up 3 TD's on a terrible team like Cleveland, okay). It's clear that the Bengals tried to nickel and dime a win last night...and it bit them.
Reply/Quote
Here's the defensive points per quarter for those teams:

Cincy: - as we all suspected, 3rd quarter defensive problems. Could be correlated to 3rd quarter offensive struggles (hand in hand) or a failure to adjust (because typically their defense is playing lights out in the 1st half, maybe they're not seeing a need to adjust although the other team is certainly going to try something new. Bengals lead the league in overall points allowed per game, but they're 13th in the 2nd half and 1st in the 1st half. i.e. Bengals usually go into halftime with a dominant lead):
1st quarter - 4th in points allowed
2nd quarter - 3rd in points allowed
3rd quarter - 20th in points allowed
4th quarter - 7th in points allowed

New England: - seems like teams are trying to catch up in the 2nd half. Seems to have no correlation on NE's offense, as we originally suspected.
1st quarter - 2nd in points allowed
2nd quarter - 7th in points allowed
3rd quarter - 19th in points allowed
4th quarter - 15th in points allowed

Arizona: - fairly consistent:
1st quarter - 10th in points allowed
2nd quarter - 6th in points allowed
3rd quarter - 8th in points allowed
4th quarter - 10th in points allowed
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:16 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: I also think this is a game flow thing.  Like last night...we started great.  When you happen to get a big lead, don't pack it in against good teams (if you're up 3 TD's on a terrible team like Cleveland, okay).  It's clear that the Bengals tried to nickel and dime a win last night...and it bit them.

I heard this morning that the broncos coming out the second half and running their two minute offense took the Bengals by surprise. That's why they marched down the field on that first drive. After that the D settled in, but the altitude finally got them. The D had to stay on the field longer because the broncos went to a zone D in the second half also. This caused McCaroon to hold the ball longer. The broncos D also committed to stopping the run in the second half. So I think it was more a combination of broncos adjustments, and the altitude than the Bengals trying to nickel and dime them.
Reply/Quote
3rd quarter is a bit worrisome.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I hope Carson goes to the SB, wins it, and puts a giant exclamation point on "Marvin Ball".

Seriously, that's what it has come to

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:31 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I hope Carson goes to the SB, wins it, and puts a giant exclamation point on "Marvin Ball".

Seriously, that's what it has come to

C'mon.  How could a real Bengals fan root for a guy who quit on this franchise?  I'd rather Brady or Roethlisberger win another ring over Carson.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:11 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Given we have the best scoring defense, I'd love to see the same breakdown for the same team showing points allowed.  Are the other teams playing hard because they have to or because they want to?

The Cardinals had their backup QB in to mop up during at least 3 blowouts in the 4th, I know.

(12-29-2015, 02:33 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: C'mon.  How could a real Bengals fan root for a guy who quit on this franchise?  I'd rather Brady or Roethlisberger win another ring over Carson.

Not to start another 10+ page fight about Palmer, but the guy didn't want to play for Marvin his entire career; that's not quitting, it's a career decision.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:33 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: C'mon.  How could a real Bengals fan root for a guy who quit on this franchise?  I'd rather Brady or Roethlisberger win another ring over Carson.

I hate to break it to you but if you root for those things then you are the one who isn't a real bengals fan. Carson quit because of Marvin, to win important games.

Reply/Quote

No way I'd rather Roethlisberger win than Carson. :boo:
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:37 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I hate to break it to you but if you root for those things then you are the one who isn't a real bengals fan. Carson quit because of Marvin, to win important games.

The quitter is 5-0 in prime-time this year with wins over the Ravens, Seahawks, Bengals, Vikings, and Eagles.  Marvin Lewis is 1-3 with a win over Austin Davis and the Browns.  Quitters never win, my ass! Ninja

Remember in the pre-season when some of us were concerned with the game against the Bucs? Hmm, here we are, stinking in prime-time for what, the 13th year in a row? Astounding.
Reply/Quote
Oh hell while were at it. Hue Jackson appears to be about a 8 game wonder as well and then he loses his fricken mind. See Oakland and not to bring up Palmer again but that stupid ass "panic mode" trade..

Bunch of clowns on our sideline.

(I'll wait to tear into Pauly G)

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:49 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Oh hell while were at it. Hue Jackson appears to be about a 8 game wonder as well and then he loses his fricken mind. See Oakland and not to bring up Palmer again but that stupid ass "panic mode" trade..

Bunch of clowns on our sideline.

(I'll wait to tear into Pauly G)

Hue was a lousy GM, but the Raiders fired him to hire the worst HC of the past 20 years who completely undid the "not worth the price, but still productive" Palmer trade.  Again, I'm sure I'm just a Marvin-hater, but Hue, Zimmer, and even Gruden have shown similar success to Marvin (sort of) as HC's with less talent to prop them up.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The quitter is 5-0 in prime-time this year with wins over the Ravens, Seahawks, Bengals, Vikings, and Eagles.  Marvin Lewis is 1-3 with a win over Austin Davis and the Browns.  Quitters never win, my ass! Ninja

Remember in the pre-season when some of us were concerned with the game against the Bucs?  Hmm, here we are, stinking in prime-time for what, the 13th year in a row?  Astounding.

Yep!!!  I remember being basically told it was a pre-season game and didn't mean anything.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 03:00 PM)PApinhead Wrote: Yep!!!  I remember being basically told it was a pre-season game and didn't mean anything.

It didnt mean anything.

This whole prime time thing is tiresome. You realize we won our first prime time game this season....beat denver in prime time last season.....and beat the steelers in prime time the season before that? That's a prime time win every year for the last 3 years. We simply lost a close game to a desperate team, with our second string QB, starting TE and starting S out, and against the number 1 D....by 3 points....in overtime.
Reply/Quote
14 points scored on our first 2 drives, then 3 points scored for the rest of the game.....yep, playing it safe is Marvin ball and it kills us every time.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:08 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Cincy progressively gets worse against the average as the game progresses. This might be because they get off to hot starts, but the stats prove what we see. Quintessential Marvin Ball.

1st quarter - 4th in points
2nd quarter - 10th in points
3rd quarter - 12th in points
4th quarter - 16th in points

New England (the team that doesn't give a shit about the scoreboard):
1st quarter - 5th in points
2nd quarter - 2nd in points
3rd quarter - 4th in points
4th quarter - 3rd in points

Arizona (leading the league in TDs, I believe) - look how they close and open the half.
1st quarter - 6th in points
2nd quarter - 1st in points
3rd quarter - 1st in points
4th quarter - 13th in points (probably time for them to take the pedal off)

I really appreciate you putting this together. I would love to see where the Bengals sit in this stat through Marvin's whole tenure.

The fact that this is where the Bengals rank with all of the talent on offense is a shame and totally indicative of coaches running an outdated mentality.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The quitter is 5-0 in prime-time this year with wins over the Ravens, Seahawks, Bengals, Vikings, and Eagles.  Marvin Lewis is 1-3 with a win over Austin Davis and the Browns.  Quitters never win, my ass! Ninja

Remember in the pre-season when some of us were concerned with the game against the Bucs?  Hmm, here we are, stinking in prime-time for what, the 13th year in a row?  Astounding.

(12-29-2015, 03:00 PM)PApinhead Wrote: Yep!!!  I remember being basically told it was a pre-season game and didn't mean anything.

Same here.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote