Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Brown, please step down..
(12-20-2016, 12:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: I had the 30 for 30 "Catholics vs. Convicts" on my DVR, so I watched it last night, and on it, Jimmy Johnson brought up a pretty valid point.  Being a Noles fan, I obviously have no love for ANYTHING 'canes, but he was talking about why he never took the foot off the pedal when he got a big lead.  It seems he had lost a couple of big leads early on while he was at Miami, and he was always fearful of letting his opponent back in the game as a result.  I just always assumed him to be a prick, but that was some interesting insight into his philosophy, albeit 30 years later. Smirk

Being a Seminoles fan, I'm sure that you're familiar with the quote from Bobby Bowden, when asked about running up the score on opponents?  "It's not my job, to stop my team from scoring."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Like it or not Mikey doesn't run the team based on public opinion nor should he. I'm not saying he's right in keeping Marvin as head coach, but he is the team owner and not an elected official.  You can beg, throw temper tantrums, fly banners over the city or any number of things to try to influence him, but the bottom line is that the team is profitable and will continue to be profitable win, lose or draw. Your only real recourse is to not spend a dime to enrich the bank account of one Mike Brown.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 11:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's hard to let go.

[Image: tumblr_mfdy2vdgU41rujpd6o1_500.gif]

Then she lets Go!  and lets him sink to the bottom of the ocean.  
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 12:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Being a Seminoles fan, I'm sure that you're familiar with the quote from Bobby Bowden, when asked about running up the score on opponents?  "It's not my job, to stop my team from scoring."

"They're good kids....." LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 11:43 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: We need a online petition lol it might not do anything,but if he hears about it, it might send him a message

Nah, if you see him in the supermarket or something, cuss him out and tell him the truth about himself. If he hears it from enough people everywhere he goes around the city, eventually he'll snap and leave town.
Reply/Quote
Why does the only football team I love have a FO that offers literally no hope of success. So sad and frustrating on so many levels. I really hate that I have zero excitement or hope as far as Bengals football goes. I cannot handle another year of Giggles, MB and zero change. A big fat checkbook and stale old non-winning ways FTW!

Damn, how did I get so negative about this team!? Damn you ML and MB! It will be fun watching the current set of star players go through their career and not win anything. I feel real bad for anybody playing for the Bengals who cares about winning more than a paycheck. Bengals and winning are like oil and water.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 12:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: I had the 30 for 30 "Catholics vs. Convicts" on my DVR, so I watched it last night, and on it, Jimmy Johnson brought up a pretty valid point.  Being a Noles fan, I obviously have no love for ANYTHING 'canes, but he was talking about why he never took the foot off the pedal when he got a big lead.  It seems he had lost a couple of big leads early on while he was at Miami, and he was always fearful of letting his opponent back in the game as a result.  I just always assumed him to be a prick, but that was some interesting insight into his philosophy, albeit 30 years later. Smirk

There were similar quotes from the Patriots recently, as to why they keep their foot on the gas. It was said that they had a couple close calls once. Never again.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 01:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There were similar quotes from the Patriots recently, as to why they keep their foot on the gas. It was said that they had a couple close calls once. Never again.

We once had a coach who thought like that..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 11:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't think that the problem with Marvin is a lack of desire to win, but too much of a desire to win his way.  He is just too nice of a guy to step on the throat, when his team has an opponent down.  His philosophy seems to be to get up on an opponent in the 1st half, and just hope to bore them into submission in the 2nd half.

We've seen it all, too many times.  Championship coaches have no problem with burying an opponent, embarrassing them, making them fearful to face their team in the future.  Not Marvin, he wants to win with class, offer the foe dignity in defeat..

And it's so frustrating, it reminds of the game several years ago against San Diego, when we were up by 5 td's in the first half and lost. We see this every year under Lewis and I personally don't think that it bothers him or Brown. I could be wrong, but man I wish we had a coach and an owner that had a killer mentality.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 03:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We once had a coach who thought like that..

Yes we did. That was a little before my time, but I've heard all about his rivalry with Glanville. Didn't we beat his Oilers 62-7 or something like that? And Glanville was all hot over it? Man I wish I were old enough to remember that era of Bengals football.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 04:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yes we did. That was a little before my time, but I've heard all about his rivalry with Glanville. Didn't we beat his Oilers 62-7 or something like that? And Glanville was all hot over it? Man I wish I were old enough to remember that era of Bengals football.

Yeah, 61-7! That came a year after the Oilers put a 41-6 whoopin' on the Bengals in Houston. That was one helluva rivalry at the time, and very entertaining to watch because of the two coaches.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 04:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yes we did. That was a little before my time, but I've heard all about his rivalry with Glanville. Didn't we beat his Oilers 62-7 or something like that? And Glanville was all hot over it? Man I wish I were old enough to remember that era of Bengals football.

Wish you could've seen it too. As much respect I have for Paul Brown and Forrest Gregg, Sam Wyche is my favorite Bengals coach to date. He could go from a reasonable soft-spoken man to 'hair on fire' in a heartbeat. Losing him was step one toward futility. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote

Dude, we were kicking onsides kicks in the 4th quarter. LMAO Pretty sure he lined up for a FG with seconds remaining on the clock. Sammy was my dawg!

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 05:14 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Wish you could've seen it too. As much respect I have for Paul Brown and Forrest Gregg, Sam Wyche is my favorite Bengals coach to date. He could go from a reasonable soft-spoken man to 'hair on fire' in a heartbeat. Losing him was step one toward futility. 

Some quotes from the day before that game...

Sam: ''We've never taken anything off anybody. We'd rather let the other guy make the dumb mistakes. If you're going to win a championship, somewhere along the line you have to take a smart pill.''

Glanville: ''Cincinnati said we're scared because we're close to winning the division. Scared? We haven't been scared of no one and nothing in a long time. Around here and across the border we're known as the bad boys, and in England, they call us the hooligans."

Boomer: "''It's always more of a fight than a football game."

Robert Lyles: ''Do they want to show up and play physical? Or do they want to try to trick us the sissy way?''

Then, from after the game...

Sam: ''I just don't like Jerry Glanville. I don't like phonies, and I don't think Jerry is a very genuine guy. The cheap shots they tried after our quarterback was down, their big mouths. Jerry tries coming up and talking to me before the game and when the cameras start rolling he puts his arm around you and smiles behind those dark glasses. When your football team is so talented and yet so undisciplined, you got to be ready to get kicked and the score run up on you. And that's exactly what happened today.''

Lewis Billups: ''I saw defeat in their eyes."

Glanville: ''They played an excellent game and we have no alibis, no excuses."

Good times!  :andy:
Reply/Quote

(12-20-2016, 04:53 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, 61-7! That came a year after the Oilers put a 41-6 whoopin' on the Bengals in Houston. That was one helluva rivalry at the time, and very entertaining to watch because of the two coaches.

(12-20-2016, 05:14 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Wish you could've seen it too. As much respect I have for Paul Brown and Forrest Gregg, Sam Wyche is my favorite Bengals coach to date. He could go from a reasonable soft-spoken man to 'hair on fire' in a heartbeat. Losing him was step one toward futility. 

(12-20-2016, 05:23 PM)Wyche Wrote: Dude, we were kicking onsides kicks in the 4th quarter. LMAO Pretty sure he lined up for a FG with seconds remaining on the clock. Sammy was my dawg!

(12-20-2016, 05:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Some quotes from the day before that game...

Sam: ''We've never taken anything off anybody. We'd rather let the other guy make the dumb mistakes. If you're going to win a championship, somewhere along the line you have to take a smart pill.''

Glanville: ''Cincinnati said we're scared because we're close to winning the division. Scared? We haven't been scared of no one and nothing in a long time. Around here and across the border we're known as the bad boys, and in England, they call us the hooligans."

Boomer: "''It's always more of a fight than a football game."

Robert Lyles: ''Do they want to show up and play physical? Or do they want to try to trick us the sissy way?''

Then, from after the game...

Sam: ''I just don't like Jerry Glanville. I don't like phonies, and I don't think Jerry is a very genuine guy. The cheap shots they tried after our quarterback was down, their big mouths. Jerry tries coming up and talking to me before the game and when the cameras start rolling he puts his arm around you and smiles behind those dark glasses. When your football team is so talented and yet so undisciplined, you got to be ready to get kicked and the score run up on you. And that's exactly what happened today.''

Lewis Billups: ''I saw defeat in their eyes."

Glanville: ''They played an excellent game and we have no alibis, no excuses."

Good times!  :andy:

How in the hell could our beloved team ever go from that, to where we are today?  Yes, we all know the real reason...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 06:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How in the hell could our beloved team ever go from that, to where we are today?  Yes, we all know the real reason...

Friggin' Son of Paul.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 06:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Friggin' Son of Paul.

Yes, that was the answer that I was alluding to.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 05:23 PM)Wyche Wrote: Dude, we were kicking onsides kicks in the 4th quarter. LMAO Pretty sure he lined up for a FG with seconds remaining on the clock. Sammy was my dawg!

I can't find any video for that game, but I did find this: 

Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 06:57 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I can't find any video for that game, but I did find this: 

Classic! :andy:

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 06:57 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I can't find any video for that game, but I did find this: 

For you younger folk, who may not remember that time period.  Cleveland had an endzone crowd called "The Dawgpound", they were the rowdiest of the Cleveland faithful.  They were loud, obnoxious, and had a reputation for throwing things from the stands.  In the Winter, they would throw snowballs with batteries inside, in an attempt to injure opposing players, or otherwise disrupt the environment of the game.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote