Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Cannot control his players/time to go
I was never at a lower point in my over 40 year support of the Bengals than the playoff loss last year.

Not coaching up Hill to secure the ball and the flameout by Burfict and Adam Jones convinced me at the time that Marvin needed to be fired the next day.

frankly, he should have resigned the next day.

What has transpired this year makes it clear that everything is too comfortable with Marvin and his coaches and their relationship with his players and that are not being coached up up to control their emotions.

Some of the personal fouls by us yesterday were sophomoric.

Pats, Steelers and Broncos do not continually have dead ball fouls by the same guys game after game.

Nugent missed the kicks but he tried his best. How many times are there no consequences for the same players making the same stupid and out of control emotionally charged personal fouls which change the course of the game.

It is far past time for a complete house cleaning and it should have happened after the sixth consecutive playoff loss last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Peko's penalty kind of bothered me. It wasn't like it was a grey area. Not a push out of bounds personal foul where the boundary was close. Or an unintentional, both heads go down clash of heads. Peko was just dirty on the play lifting that RB's leg for no reason. That was the kind of stuff i wish was disciplined. Stupid stuff.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 12:16 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Peko's penalty kind of bothered me.  It wasn't like it was a grey area.  Not a push out of bounds personal foul where the boundary was close.  Or an unintentional, both heads go down clash of heads.  Peko was just dirty on the play lifting that RB's leg for no reason.  That was the kind of stuff i wish was disciplined. Stupid stuff.

I kind of thought the running back flopped and made a bigger deal out of it than it was.  That said, Marvin's teams have always had trouble maintaining their composure, especially in bigger games.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:31 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I was never at a lower point in my over 40 year support of the Bengals than the playoff loss last year.

Not coaching up Hill to secure the ball and the flameout by Burfict and Adam Jones convinced me at the time that Marvin needed to be fired the next day.

What has transpired this year makes it clear that everything is too comfortable with Marvin and his coaches and their relationship with his players and that are not being coached up up to control their emotions.

Pats, Steelers and Broncos do not continually have dead ball fouls by the same guys game after game.

Nugent missed the kicks but he tried his best. How many times are there no consequences for the same players making the same stupid and out of control emotionally charged personal fouls which change the course of the game.

It is far past time for a complete house cleaning and it should have happened after the sixth consecutive playoff loss last year.

I think that atleast some of the issues from this season stem from the team mentally breaking from the playoff meltdown last year. They had the game won, and lost.

Had this been a young teams 1st playoff experience and that happened...maybe they come back hungrier...but it was the 5th year in a row.

That breaks a team.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 12:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that atleast some of the issues from this season stem from the team mentally breaking from the playoff meltdown last year. They had the game won, and lost.

Had this been a young teams 1st playoff experience and that happened...maybe they come back hungrier...but it was the 5th year in a row.

That breaks a team.

Well, hopefully we can slide into the playoffs, then the question will be will a playoff game re-ignite that fire one more time, but I do think that if this team makes the playoffs after rebounding from this bad start and losing again, they may all be mentally broken for the rest of their careers.  I haven't been right since the playoff loss last year honestly lol. 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 12:23 PM)740Bengal Wrote: Well, hopefully we can slide into the playoffs, then the question will be will a playoff game re-ignite that fire one more time, but I do think that if this team makes the playoffs after rebounding from this bad start and losing again, they may all be mentally broken for the rest of their careers.  I haven't been right since the playoff loss last year honestly lol. 

I see no scenario where we make the playoffs.

We're 3-4-1 with 8 games to go. Even if we finish 6-2...that's probably not good enough.

Can anyone honestly say that they expect us to finish 6-2?
Reply/Quote
Don't disagree with most of this, however, for those minuscule few that may not know it .... Marvin leaves when Marvin retires.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 12:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that atleast some of the issues from this season stem from the team mentally breaking from the playoff meltdown last year. They had the game won, and lost.

That breaks a team.

A lot of wisdom here.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 12:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I see no scenario where we make the playoffs.

We're 3-4-1 with 8 games to go. Even if we finish 6-2...that's probably not good enough.

I expect the bengals to finish 6-2 and make the playoffs.

The only first place team left on the schedule is Pittsburgh and that is in Cincy.  
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 12:16 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Peko's penalty kind of bothered me. It wasn't like it was a grey area. Not a push out of bounds personal foul where the boundary was close. Or an unintentional, both heads go down clash of heads. Peko was just dirty on the play lifting that RB's leg for no reason. That was the kind of stuff i wish was disciplined. Stupid stuff.

Completely agree Peko also had a stupid penalty in the playoff loss last year . He ran onto the field from the sidelines with his cape on to push a steelers player from behind if I remembered correctly and this guy is supposed to be a team captain. Lewis just stands on the sidelines doing nothing letting these moronic plays continue to happen.
Reply/Quote
Has ML ever controlled his players? I am thinking about CJ antics and lack of control for his narcissistic display on lack of coverage by CB. ML has his style and it is relaxed. He is the antithesis of Zimmer. But as out of control the players were Sunday in London, that is not what cost them the game. It is maintaining a kicker who cannot make an extra point. It is a defense that cannot tackle with authority and consistency. It is a QB who had a bad day with ball placement and holding onto the ball. It is an Offensive line that has a rookie RT who gets bull-rushed.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
9-6-1 should be good for a #6 wildcard seed this year in the AFC. Ironically, that would be the best chance at finally winning a first round game against your choice of Texans/Titans/Colts and a one year head coaching extension.

Winning the AFCN will put someone in the driver's seat, as New England is really the only dominant team in the conference, and that matchup wouldn't occur until the AFC title game.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
I'm tired of the lack of discipline along with players not seemingly playing with any passion or love out there. I've had my moments in the past where I was all but done with this team and the NFL in general and with the way the season is going, not only the Bengals players issues, but the coaching issues, the officiating issues, and the lack of respect shown by several other douche bag players, I've been watching less and caring even lesser. Sooner or later, I'm just going to stop watching all together. Marvin Lewis is a terrible coach and so is Paul G., they both need to be replaced, but they will probably get extensions.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 12:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I see no scenario where we make the playoffs.

I think 6-2 is completely within the realm of possibility. I know I'll get crap for this but I honestly think we could even finish the season 8-0. The defense is pretty damn bad but the offense is on the up and up and I think they'll be able to keep us in every game going forward.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:31 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I was never at a lower point in my over 40 year support of the Bengals than the playoff loss last year.

Why resign when he knows the Brown family is dumb enough to keep signing paychecks for him when he is clearly disinterested in coaching this team?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I know people here dislike Marvin...but what he has accomplished her has been nothing shy of a miracle.

The Bengals were essentially the Cleveland Browns and he came in here and turned us into a playoff contender.

Largely the same front office and organizational structure are in place that made us terrible in the 90's.

What other GM keeps his job after not winning a playoff game for 24+ years???
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 02:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I know people here dislike Marvin...but what he has accomplished her has been nothing shy of a miracle.

The Bengals were essentially the Cleveland Browns and he came in here and turned us into a playoff contender.

Largely the same front office and organizational structure are in place that made us terrible in the 90's.

Have to agree with this Pistons.    I respect and am grateful for all Marvin has done.   And I will add that I respect and admire the Brown family.  It is a classy organization.

But I can't help but feel that the front office has always picked head coaches that they feel comfortable with at best and feel they can control at worst.   Totally understandable really, especially when the family has been immersed in pro football since they were in diapers  - and Mike actually played the game at the college level.

But I'd like to see them make a hire that is a little "unsafe".  Someone who won't necessarily dance to their tune.  Someone like Walsh was, Wyche was and (I'm thinking) Gregg was.  The first was not hired as head coach, the 2nd was terminated or allowed to leave, and I thought Gregg made a pretty quick exit after his Super Bowl year.

I don't know who that would be, but find someone who is really smart, unconventional and successful.

As much as I love and respect Marvin, it's time for a change.   We're going to lose the hearts of our best players (read AJ Green).  Unfortunately for timing sake we lost 2 really good prospects.  We need to find another.
Reply/Quote
This was obvious after the playoff loss.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Marvin should have been gone after San Diego. That said we don't have anyone left in house to replace him with.

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 02:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I know people here dislike Marvin...but what he has accomplished her has been nothing shy of a miracle.

What other HC keeps his job after 13+ years without winning a playoff game? 

Mike Brown isn't going anywhere. He owns the team. Head coach is a change that CAN be made though. And it's long overdue at this point. 

I think everyone is grateful to ML for changing the culture here and making us a winning team. But he's proven time after time he can't get his team to the next level. He's had his chance(s). It's time for someone else to get a shot. Unfortunately we all know he'll be coaching this team next season since he has one more year on his contract. 

Reply/Quote