Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Jones...Road to Detroit
I didn't see this posted. I thought it was a good read.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/marvin-jones-lions-bengals-nfl-dad/
Reply/Quote
Really interesting read.  I love to hear about players' personal lives; it gives them such a human element that I never take the time to consider when watching them in uniform playing on Sundays.  I still don't understand how the Lions were his choice over us though.  My understanding was that the contract numbers were basically the same, weren't they?  (if I am mistaken on this, please let me know because if we were outbid by a reasonable amount, I could understand his leaving much better LOL)    And then in this article he talks about the Lions winning a championship, which seems ludicrous to me to consider them to have a better chance to do that than he would have had here.  Playing time would have been the same between the two teams.  So I guess at the end of the article, I just didn't really understand his reasoning for leaving any more than I had understood it before reading it.  I thought he was going to get to a point where he had a bunch of family in Detroit or something, but no...  it just kind of left me hanging.  and the worst part: I STILL DON'T REALLY KNOW WHY HE LEFT CINCY TO GO TO DETROIT!!  Sad
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 05:11 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: Really interesting read.  I love to hear about players' personal lives; it gives them such a human element that I never take the time to consider when watching them in uniform playing on Sundays.  I still don't understand how the Lions were his choice over us though.  My understanding was that the contract numbers were basically the same, weren't they?  (if I am mistaken on this, please let me know because if we were outbid by a reasonable amount, I could understand his leaving much better LOL)    And then in this article he talks about the Lions winning a championship, which seems ludicrous to me to consider them to have a better chance to do that than he would have had here.  Playing time would have been the same between the two teams.  So I guess at the end of the article, I just didn't really understand his reasoning for leaving any more than I had understood it before reading it.  I thought he was going to get to a point where he had a bunch of family in Detroit or something, but no...  it just kind of left me hanging.  and the worst part: I STILL DON'T REALLY KNOW WHY HE LEFT CINCY TO GO TO DETROIT!!  Sad
He didn't want to be in AJ Greens shadow. He wants to be a #1.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 05:16 PM)J24 Wrote: He didn't want to be in AJ Greens shadow. He wants to be a #1.

Did not want to sign in to site just to read but agree with this.

All NFL caliber athletes egos make them believe they should be the main guy until proven otherwise.

Understand completely yet hated to let that 5th round diamond in the rough Tobin found walk so easily. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 05:36 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Did not want to sign in to site just to read but agree with this.

All NFL caliber athletes egos make them believe they should be the main guy until proven otherwise.

Understand completely yet hated to let that 5th round diamond in the rough Tobin found walk so easily. 

I skimmed through the article and if I remember correctly, and if not, correct me, the Bengals offered him very close to the same deal that Detroit did?

Even if the Bengals offered more, I think it wouldn't have mattered, because he wants to be Number One.

Understand and don't blame him, and I hope the Lions move forward, because Detroit would not be my first choice to live, and it sure is nice playing on a team that, for now, seems to be in the hunt from year to year!
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 05:36 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Did not want to sign in to site just to read but agree with this.

Well I always think as long as we have Tobin there should be more diamonds to be found, but I see your point.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 05:16 PM)J24 Wrote: He didn't want to be in AJ Greens shadow. He wants to be a #1.

Bengals offered less guaranteed money than Detroit. It had nothing to do with AJ Green.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 07:26 PM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: Well I always think as long as we have Tobin there should be more diamonds to be found, but I see your point.

Agree and hope he found one this year in Core because we will need one to emerge.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 08:01 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and hope he found one this year in Core because we will need one to emerge.

Yes we do and I believe Core is looking the part. I'd say there's a fair chance he makes the 53.
Reply/Quote
The article said it...he wanted to go to Detroit if and only if Calvin Johnson retired. Every other place he mentioned had a confirmed #1. Once he heard Johnson retired he was done negotiating.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
[quote='bengalguy71' pid='250656' dateline='1471985189']

I skimmed through the article and if I remember correctly, and if not, correct me, the Bengals offered him very close to the same deal that Detroit did?

Even if the Bengals offered more, I think it wouldn't have mattered, because he wants to be Number One.

Understand and don't blame him, and I hope the Lions move forward, because Detroit would not be my first choice to live, and it sure is nice playing on a team that, for now, seems to be in the hunt from year to year
Yrah we offered him 5 years 40 million same as detroit
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 07:50 PM)jason Wrote: Bengals offered less guaranteed money than Detroit. It had nothing to do with AJ Green.
I am not saying they have beef but the guy wanted to be a #1 and that was never going to happen here as long as AJ was here. I honestly can't blame him if that was case.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
He made the right decision.

Reply/Quote
Marvin who????   (J/K....good luck in Detroit Marvin)
Reply/Quote
He made the best choice for him. Good Luck to him.
Reply/Quote

Funny, because I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes 3rd in receiving yards on that team. Golden Tate is one year removed from putting up 1,300 yards with Stafford, and I wouldn't sleep on Boldin.

Stafford is used to just lobbing it down the field and Calvin leaping up there and getting it. I think he tries it a few times with Jones who is his new deep threat, gets a couple INTs, and starts looking a lot more underneath.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Him and Stafford seem to have some chemistry going so I won't be surprised to see him finish as their #1 WR in terms of stats. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 02:04 PM)Static_Klingler Wrote: I didn't see this posted.  I thought it was a good read.

A good read, thanks for sharing.
Too bad Jones and GF did not know how to avoid being surprised by pregnancy. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 02:04 PM)Static_Klingler Wrote: I didn't see this posted.  I thought it was a good read.

I was a fan of Marvin's from day 1.  I loved that he always seemed to have his biggest games in big games.  However, I would not have paid him what the Lion's did, or what the Bengals apparently offered.  Too much for our #2 WR.  Love the guy, wish him all the success in the world, and I'm very happy for him that he will be financially stable the rest of his life...if he is smart. 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 07:50 PM)jason Wrote: Bengals offered less guaranteed money than Detroit. It had nothing to do with AJ Green.

There's the reason I really can't blame him for leaving.  I thought the overall numbers were very close to the same, if not the same, but didn't understand there was a difference in guaranteed money between the two offers.  Though the Bengals always seem very good with paying out to the end of most guys' contracts, guaranteed is guaranteed.  Cant say I wouldn't have done the same thing if I was in his shoes...  Thanks for that nugget to help me remember that situation more accurately!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote