Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Jones may be gone...
(02-04-2016, 05:31 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Considering that Kirkpatrick was a complete luxury pick at the time Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram, and Dont'a Hightower all look like very good options.

Yeah, trading out of the pick that the Patriots used to get Chandler Jones is a bit of a bummer. Also, since this was 2012, at the time their #1 RB was a guy coming off a 667 yard (3.7 YPC) season named Benjarvus Green-Ellis, and they hadn't drafted Bernard yet, so Doug Martin wouldn't have been a bad pick instead of Kirkpatrick either. Or do what I wanted them to do at the time and that was either trade up for Luke Kuechly (woulda been nice to later end up with Kuechly AND Burfict) or double up on guards by taking both DeCastro and Zeitler and laugh at the Steelers by both taking their pick and then using it to run all over their faces for a decade.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 05:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Second round DE (Discus End?) Margus Hunt thinks you give the bengals a BIT too much credit there. As does 1st round "Can't backpedal" CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Darqueze "Best Rookie I've Ever Seen (So great he can't get on the field) Dennard... and to top it off, one of the two OT they just drafted, who will be sitting on the bench again.

1. Hunt was still the third pick of the Bengals, and they had hedged their bets with very solid choices in Eifert and Bernard.
2. Dre Kirkpatrick was regarded as the 3rd best corner in that draft (by CBS). He was also a 3 year starter for Alabama at corner... Stephen Gilmore went 7 spots before Dre.
3. Dennard was ranked as the best corner in his draft class (by CBS).

Braxton is currently listed as the 10th best WR prospect (by CBS). He has very few starts at the position, has less than a season of starts at that position (I believe), and is projecting right now based on athleticism. I don't think that kind of project is something the Bengals will go for in the first round, and probably not in the second.

We'll see.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 05:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So that'd be more like a rich man's Sanu then, yeah? A Sanu fast enough to get separation?

Bingo.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 05:31 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Considering that Kirkpatrick was a complete luxury pick at the time Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram, and Dont'a Hightower all look like very good options.

Was very vocal about not wanting Kirkpatrick along with a couple others posters on here. 

But the majority wanted him if available. He was not supposed to be a project as someone else comparing him to Hunt though. 

Wanted Hightower desperately that year. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 06:01 PM)gobobro Wrote: 1. Hunt was still the third pick of the Bengals, and they had hedged their bets with very solid choices in Eifert and Bernard.
2. Dre Kirkpatrick was regarded as the 3rd best corner in that draft (by CBS). He was also a 3 year starter for Alabama at corner... Stephen Gilmore went 7 spots before Dre.
3. Dennard was ranked as the best corner in his draft class (by CBS).

Braxton is currently listed as the 10th best WR prospect (by CBS). He has very few starts at the position, has less than a season of starts at that position (I believe), and is projecting right now based on athleticism. I don't think that kind of project is something the Bengals will go for in the first round, and probably not in the second.

We'll see.

Oh, sorry for not being clearer. I wasn't actually arguing FOR Braxton Miller. I was just arguing against the concept that the Bengals don't draft development guys in the first two rounds. I actually haven't really formed an opinion on who they should draft in the first and second yet. I guess once the combine rolls around and more accurate information is available. Short people tend to be "taller", thin people tend to be "heavier", fat people tend to be "thinner" if you go by college stats/records. Plus everyone is faster in college records than they really are. Lol

Not sure who'd fit yet, but I wouldn't mind something like... LB, WR, DT, S, FB (yes a real FB, not a HB), K, WR... roughly in that order or so.

Side Note Edit: CBS also thinks that people should enjoy being subjected to Phil Simms for hours at a time, so their opinions aren't exactly golden. Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 06:06 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Was very vocal about not wanting Kirkpatrick along with a couple others posters on here. 

But the majority wanted him if available. He was not supposed to be a project as someone else comparing him to Hunt though. 

Wanted Hightower desperately that year. 

I was really shocked when I heard that he needed to learn to backpedal.  I know that Saban teaches a different technique, but I was still surprised that it took Kirkpatrick so long to get playing time.  To be honest, both Kirkpatrick and Dennard bother me a little bit... if they were not needed, there were other first round picks that could have contributed immediately.  I personally think a first round guy should be playing.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 03:03 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: He also got $15 million guaranteed from Seattle, more than he had made in his entire career as a Bengal.  Money like that sets your family up for life, it guarantees your future.  I don't blame anyone for cashing in when they can, especially in the NFL.  These guys are always one play away from their career being over... get paid while you can.

Agree 100% and will never blame anyone for trying to get theirs. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 06:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Oh, sorry for not being clearer. I wasn't actually arguing FOR Braxton Miller. I was just arguing against the concept that the Bengals don't draft development guys in the first two rounds. I actually haven't really formed an opinion on who they should draft in the first and second yet. I guess once the combine rolls around and more accurate information is available. Short people tend to be "taller", thin people tend to be "heavier", fat people tend to be "thinner" if you go by college stats/records. Plus everyone is faster in college records than they really are. Lol

Not sure who'd fit yet, but I wouldn't mind something like... LB, WR, DT, S, FB (yes a real FB, not a HB), K, WR... roughly in that order or so.

Side Note Edit: CBS also thinks that people should enjoy being subjected to Phil Simms for hours at a time, so their opinions aren't exactly golden. Ninja

Not sure why you felt the need to clarify. I didn't believe you had an agenda for Miller. You argued the bengals grab projects early, and I was trying to rebut...  I was defending my position, arguing against your examples, and pointing out just how significant a project Miller is in relation to your examples of " projects.

I don't think we draft a converting player in the first round.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 06:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Oh, sorry for not being clearer. I wasn't actually arguing FOR Braxton Miller. I was just arguing against the concept that the Bengals don't draft development guys in the first two rounds. I actually haven't really formed an opinion on who they should draft in the first and second yet. I guess once the combine rolls around and more accurate information is available. Short people tend to be "taller", thin people tend to be "heavier", fat people tend to be "thinner" if you go by college stats/records. Plus everyone is faster in college records than they really are. Lol

Agree with this too and just threw those names out per a mock draft on CBS. 

Have no opinion on who should be drafted this year yet at all. Just think it is silly to think Jones can not be replaced. 

Really have not seen Miller play much at WR and is why I asked for OSU fans feedback. 

Do like Coleman though for sure if the position becomes a need. But hope we do not even have to take another offensive player in the 1st again. Begged for a LB last year early and was ridiculed off the board. 

But Marvin Jones is probably going to force an early WR selection. This is why taking two OT's last year was foolish instead of plugging an immediate need and taking 1 OT. After FA the needs may be greater than can be filled with draft this year because of it.  

Hope not though. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 05:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't think I have ever heard of a 17th overall pick CB not knowing how to backpedal before the Bengals drafted Kirkpatrick. That seems like a pretty important skill for a drafted CB, let alone a drafted CB in the first 20 picks of the first round of the draft. As soon as I saw that quote after he was drafted, I knew it was a project pick. Sure enough, it took 4 years for him to get any significant starting time.

Leon Hall was 2nd team All-Pro by his third year.

4 years is a long time. Especially considering hes been in perfect health.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 12:04 AM)milksheikh Wrote: From this interview, It seemed like to me that he wanted to become a #1 receiver and not be in the shadow of A.J. Green.

Dear Marvin Jones,

Please talk to this guy:

[Image: 3311-80Fr.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think mj will get more attention now that andy is looking at other recievers instead of knowing who he is going to regardless when he breaks the huddle.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 01:24 PM)Go Cards Wrote: CBS has Bengals drafting either Corey Coleman "Baylor" or Braxton Miller "OSU".

Looking for thoughts from the OSU nation on Miller as a Bengals WR.

Believe both are legitimate personally.

I saw this as a first round projection, which I can't believe.  Miller is freak athlete, but he has VERY little experience in the WR role.  I  think he could be developed in to a solid slot receiver, but there is no way I would use a first round selection on him.  If the Bengals got him in the third, I would be thrilled.  Losing Jones could push Sanu outside and have Miller develop as a slot, but that is the more realistic place for him to be selected.

I am a big fan of his, and was flat-out amazed by what I saw him do as a true freshman in high school, but he doesn't have the deep ball tracking ability of a true WR and I think that will hinder his status.  
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 11:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I saw this as a first round projection, which I can't believe.  Miller is freak athlete, but he has VERY little experience in the WR role.  I  think he could be developed in to a solid slot receiver, but there is no way I would use a first round selection on him.  If the Bengals got him in the third, I would be thrilled.  Losing Jones could push Sanu outside and have Miller develop as a slot, but that is the more realistic place for him to be selected.

I am a big fan of his, and was flat-out amazed by what I saw him do as a true freshman in high school, but he doesn't have the deep ball tracking ability of a true WR and I think that will hinder his status.  

I saw the same thing.  I am by no means some sort of draft expert, but have to believe there are WAY better wide receiver options than Braxton Miller.
Reply/Quote