Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Jones may be gone...
(02-04-2016, 12:04 AM)milksheikh Wrote: From this interview, It seemed like to me that he wanted to become a #1 receiver and not be in the shadow of A.J. Green.

"I want to be a great receiver in this league", that stuck out to me like he wants to be a #1 receiver and show he's a top receiver (to himself).

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/0ap3000000632041/Marvin-Jones-on-Bengals-No-hometown-discount

I thought it was interesting... also... No hometown discount... I feel like a team will overpay for him because I have a feeling Bears will franchise/sign Alshon Jeffrey making MJ the #1 receiver out there in FA.
It didn't sound like he was determined to leave.  He even said he would like to stay.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I can't blamr Marvin for wanting to be a number one. I'd love to keep him, but we can't pay him like a #1.

the bad thing is that way too many people are saying it is "easy to find a WR in the draft". That just is not true. 2013 was an outlier for rookie WRs. They are not really that easy to find.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 12:09 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As much as I like Marvin Jones, and would love for him to remain with the Bengals, I can't see the team paying him top tier money.  The abundance of WR talent around the league, and coming out of college each year, makes it easy to fill the WR2 spot at an affordable rate.

This. I like Jones, but he has a tendency to disappear at times and be inconsistent. If he wants to be a number 1 wide reciever in this league and get paid like one, he better start playing like one. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I honestly see him going to Cleveland or Washington.  Just because he has experience with the two HC.  I see him fitting in with Cleveland in the same role as now.  They have their AJ Green with Josh Gordon.  Jones will be a WR2.
Reply/Quote
I read somewhere Jones said he would definitely test the free agent market. If we lose him, I hope it's in the first day or two, and for a boatload of cash. I don't want to lose him at all, but I want it to happen quickly if it happens at all. I'd also like to hurt the wallet of the team that grabs him (and ease the minds of Bengals fans who can quickly call the Bengals cheap. If he goes for elite cash, few will blame the Bengals).

If he goes, I'd try to poach Travis Benjamin from Cleveland. I like his game. Others I'd look at are Hakeem Nicks, Reuben Randle, and Jermaine Kearse (I'd assume Alshon is totally out of the realm of possibility).
Reply/Quote
"I want to be a great receiver in this league" in a contract year sounds better than "I want to be incredibly average."

Will he look for a bigger paycheck? Sure. And he'll get one. But that doesn't mean he's getting #1 money.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 11:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I can't blamr Marvin for wanting to be a number one.  I'd love to keep him, but we can't pay him like a #1.

the bad thing is that way too many people are saying it is "easy to find a WR in the draft".  That just is not true.  2013 was an outlier for rookie WRs.  They are not really that easy to find.

Agree with this but they seem to be coming in more ready out of college than ever before.

But it should be not that daunting of a task if Sanu is kept and really Eiffert and AJ are the first two options anyway. 

Do not blame Marvin for wanting to be a #1 either. Just not sure he will handle the defenses focusing on removing him from the offensive equation with their best cover guys and double teams. 

But one has to find out for themselves because certainly I have been wrong before and being #1 definitely pays better.

In the end the money is what it is about anyway in the NFL who can be known to hand out short careers for a variety of reasons. Hope he gets his even though I want to retain him. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 11:37 AM)Football Bender Wrote: I honestly see him going to Cleveland or Washington.  Just because he has experience with the two HC.  I see him fitting in with Cleveland in the same role as now.  They have their AJ Green with Josh Gordon.  Jones will be a WR2.

The Vikings are in desperate need of WR's as well and are the better team of the three. 

He certainly knows this coach too. Even if they were on different sides of the ball. 

He will have suitors. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Maybe he should have a chat with Housh.

He was twice the receiver Jones is and he couldn't cut it in Seattle.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 12:45 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Maybe he should have a chat with Housh.

Yeah, Housh could have played another 5 years for the Bengals, only by the time he figured out that he made a mistake, the Bengals had already moved on.

Jones doesn't seem to be burning any bridges though and that's good.

Reply/Quote
It's a weak free agent market and weak draft (which sucks for the Bengals because they may need 2). Also with Eiferts injury history, it can quickly become AJ as our only receiving option once again. Marvin will get big bucks this offseason, so he's as good as gone.

We just need to focus on our safety's, and Adam Jones to free up the early rounds of the draft. We will have to draft a wideout in the 1st or 2nd round because there just isn't that many options this draft class like in the last two years. Rough year to need a wideout.

There are actually some good safety options in free agency, and that may help retain one of ours. Preferably Iloka. Although Williams is more Iloka then he is Nelson.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 12:45 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Maybe he should have a chat with Housh.

Houshmandzadeh's problem was age, not ability.  He had 79 catches for 911 yards in Seattle which was basically the same production he had with the Bengals, but he was 32.  he declined quickly after that due to age.
Reply/Quote
CBS has Bengals drafting either Corey Coleman "Baylor" or Braxton Miller "OSU".

Looking for thoughts from the OSU nation on Miller as a Bengals WR.

Believe both are legitimate personally.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 01:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Houshmandzadeh's problem was age, not ability.  He had 79 catches for 911 yards in Seattle which was basically the same production he had with the Bengals, but he was 32.  he declined quickly after that due to age.

Housh left Seattle to become a #1 receiver and the money. One year later he fizzled out. Most people argue it was never a good fit.

He had a similar skill set as Anquan Boldin (Who is 35.) with less injuries so I don't buy that. Housh still had decent numbers even after Seattle but his number of targets dropped. If he would've stayed with Cincy he'd have been better off. Not to mention his veteran presence would've been nice for Dalton and Green.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 01:24 PM)Go Cards Wrote: CBS has Bengals drafting either Corey Coleman "Baylor" or Braxton Miller "OSU".

My question is, isn't Braxton a poor man's Marvin Jones?

MJ is a quality 2nd WR, I think. How much can we improve on with him? He makes so many catches that I think only him and AJ can.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 08:04 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I've vote 2nd or 3rd, and then sign Anquan Boldin. AJ Green, Anquan Boldin, Draft Pick WR, Tyler Eifert, Giovani Bernard. QBs have won Super Bowls with less/worse passing targets than that.

Boldin can still ball, wouldn't likely require big money, and would give the Bengals a possession-type receiver who aggressively goes after and fights for the ball and move the chains on third down that they haven't had since Housh left. Boldin fighting for jumpballs is what got Flacco that ridiculous contract, and the Ravens the SB trophy. So we also know he won't vanish in the playoffs.

In 16 playoff games he's played in, he has put up 63 / 1,119 / 9

Not shabby.

I way prefer to sign a young Jones over a old Boldin (age 35).  Boldin will be overpriced also with the slim FA WR market.  I like Jones fighting for the balls at his age than Boldin now.  Jones knows the system also.. much rather have him than a unproven draft pick.  Of course it will come down to how much Bengals will pay but I would offer him a good fair contract .
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 01:28 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: My question is, isn't Braxton a poor man's Marvin Jones?

MJ is a quality 2nd WR, I think. How much can we improve on with him? He makes so many catches that I think only him and AJ can.

Some think he is the best athlete in the entire draft. 

Love Marvin as our #2 ! But if he is trying to break our bank and get paid like #1 ? Then believe he becomes detrimental to the overall team strength. 

Trust the Bengals scouting department on this subject because they have a great track record of finding them.

In the last 15 drafts they have scored on most WR drafted in first 5 rounds, 

Chad Johnson 2nd, ....Chris Henry 3rd,...... Sanu 3rd, .......Marvin Jones 5th,....... AJ Green 1st,.....Eiffert 1st, .....Gresham 1st.
All have contributed nicely right out of college.

But missed on ......Jordan Shipley 3rd,......Orson Charles 3rd,......and Kelly Washington 3rd. 

7 out of 10 were hits that were drafted to make catches. Someone in the organization knows what to look for here it seems.  
Hit on Hush Puppy (Houshmandzadeh) in the 7th round too, but do not think anybody expects a player past the 5th round to be anything more than a gamble pick. So will not count. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 12:50 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, Housh could have played another 5 years for the Bengals, only by the time he figured out that he made a mistake, the Bengals had already moved on.

Meh, I really doubt we would have kept a 33 year old Housh around after the 2010 debacle.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 12:04 AM)milksheikh Wrote: From this interview, It seemed like to me that he wanted to become a #1 receiver and not be in the shadow of A.J. Green.

"I want to be a great receiver in this league", that stuck out to me like he wants to be a #1 receiver and show he's a top receiver (to himself).

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/0ap3000000632041/Marvin-Jones-on-Bengals-No-hometown-discount

I thought it was interesting... also... No hometown discount... I feel like a team will overpay for him because I have a feeling Bears will franchise/sign Alshon Jeffrey making MJ the #1 receiver out there in FA.

Yeah, i just watched this as well.

He will definately test the waters and there might be a few teams out there that think he could be a #1.

But he still has not proven that he can be, and that takes nothing away from MLJ.

I want him back but not for #1 WR kind of dough, draft a replacement and bring back Sanu if this happens.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 01:24 PM)Go Cards Wrote: CBS has Bengals drafting either Corey Coleman "Baylor" or Braxton Miller "OSU".

Corey Coleman is my #1 receiver in this Draft so i would love to have him.

If he lasts to our pick i would be very surprised. Best receiver i saw in college last year by far.

Miller is a speedster who can beat teams deep but i would take Coleman over him all day.
Reply/Quote