Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Jones
(08-08-2015, 06:41 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: Yeah, Bfine, and I like the Alford draft.  I just meant at No.1, although I admit I would have been torn between a wr and a front seven.

I think it was risky for management to bank on the return of a guy with bad legs to a level that was the same or better than before. 700 yards is nothing really special either. 10 TD's is ok but everyone is concentrating on aj too. I think we're weak at WR still. Sanu isn't the answer either.

Marvin sounds frustrated and I wouldn't blame him if jones injury is due to lack of preparation or if he's simply avoiding the contact or practice itself. I think they truly missed a great opportunity to get better at WR during the draft.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 12:24 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I think it was risky for management to bank on the return of a guy with bad legs to a level that was the same or better than before.  700 yards is nothing really special either.   10 TD's is ok but everyone is concentrating on aj too.  I think we're weak at WR still.   Sanu isn't the answer either.

Marvin sounds frustrated and I wouldn't blame him if jones injury is due to lack of preparation or if he's simply avoiding the contact or practice itself.   I think they truly missed a great opportunity  to get better at WR during the draft.

Which rounds and which receivers are you talking about?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 12:24 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I think it was risky for management to bank on the return of a guy with bad legs to a level that was the same or better than before.  700 yards is nothing really special either.   10 TD's is ok but everyone is concentrating on aj too.  I think we're weak at WR still.   Sanu isn't the answer either.

Marvin sounds frustrated and I wouldn't blame him if jones injury is due to lack of preparation or if he's simply avoiding the contact or practice itself.   I think they truly missed a great opportunity  to get better at WR during the draft.

Everyone concentrated on Dez Bryant. Terrance Willianms had 621 yards and 8 TDs.

Plus, Dalton spread the ball around a ton in 2013. He had six players with 445 or more yards, and seven players with 4 or more touchdowns.

Comparing to last year:
Matt Ryan had four players with more than 238 yards, and three players with more than 3 touchdowns.
Tony Romo had five players with 416 yards or more, and five players with 4 or more touchdowns..
Matthews Stafford had two players with more than 254 yards, and three players with 4 or more touchdowns.

Many players in the league relied on two main receivers, but Dalton spread the ball around a ton in 2013. Obviously that wasn't the case in 2014. But Marvin Jones was able to put up those stats with that much going on around him, and that's hard to do. Marvin Jones does deserve credit for that year.

Was it a one year wonder? Who knows. But he played well and was one of the few who actually played well in the San Diego playoff game.
Reply/Quote
Looks like he's officially lost (if he ever had it officially, I can't remember honestly) his number 2 spot on the updated depth chart.

http://www.bengals.com/team/depth-chart.html
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 12:24 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I think it was risky for management to bank on the return of a guy with bad legs to a level that was the same or better than before. 700 yards is nothing really special either. 10 TD's is ok but everyone is concentrating on aj too. I think we're weak at WR still. Sanu isn't the answer either.

Marvin sounds frustrated and I wouldn't blame him if jones injury is due to lack of preparation or if he's simply avoiding the contact or practice itself. I think they truly missed a great opportunity to get better at WR during the draft.

Well greg little has looked better this camp and the TEs with Eifert (who will probly be #2 on the team with receptions when all is said and done)

And they will probly use some gio and burkhead at WR.

At this point its to early to panic on Jones i think. if hes not playing by preseason game 2 it might be time to start looking at whats out there (hasnt really changed in a few weeks) or maybe they keep an extra WR to cover for the first few weeks.

Then you have Alford and Kamerow and some guy named brandon Tate (who made some decent catches last year)
Reply/Quote

When you have a RB that is 7th in the NFL in receptions, 2 TEs involved in the passing game, and a team that's playing "musical WR2" for half of the year, I'd say 700 yards and 10 TDs is where you want a WR to be behind your #1.

44 NFL WRs had 700+ yards in 2013. 10 WRs in the entire league had double digit TD receptions. Saying "10 TDs is ok" is just ridiculously underselling it to make your preconceived opinion sound better.

Complain about the injuries or the perceived lack of motivation or whatever else you'd like off the field, but it's crazy to pretend that he isn't a very valuable #2 receiver when he's playing.

I also believe that 9 of his 10 TDs were in the red zone, and having another solid RZ target would be very beneficial for Andy and the offense in general.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 03:51 PM)jj22 Wrote: Looks like he's officially lost (if he ever had it officially, I can't remember honestly) his number 2 spot on the updated depth chart.

In preseason, isn't the depth chart still fairly speculative?
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 04:10 PM)Benton Wrote: In preseason, isn't the depth chart still fairly speculative?

Pretty much. There's not much to take from the first chart. I believe Marvin has said the only reason he releases it is because he has to.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 04:58 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Pretty much. There's not much to take from the first chart. I believe Marvin has said the only reason he releases it is because he has to.

That's what I was thinking. There was some eyebrow raising a few years ago over TE or LBers and that was Marvin's answer, 'I don't really care, it's just preseason.'
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 03:51 PM)jj22 Wrote: Looks like he's officially lost (if he ever had it officially, I can't remember honestly) his number 2 spot on the updated depth chart.

Seriously, why is this a surprise to anyone?

He did not play in 2014 thus handing the #2 to Sanu. He has been injured so no chance to beat out Sanu for the #2 so far in camp.

But, the good news is it is still over 30 days away until game #1 so if he gets healthy, he will have plenty of time to win his 2013 #2 position back.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 05:06 PM)Benton Wrote: That's what I was thinking. There was some eyebrow raising a few years ago over TE or LBers and that was Marvin's answer, 'I don't really care, it's just preseason.'

Exactly. Anytime there's a "surprise" it's usually injury related. Marvin Jones is the example this year. Sanu is our #2 right now, but we know Jones will move into the #2 role, as long as he stays healthy, by the end of preseason.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Marvin is just trying to light a fire under the other Marvin. No need to freak out over the depth chart.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 04:10 PM)Benton Wrote: In preseason, isn't the depth chart still fairly speculative?

Marvin hates them, so they really don't say much, I honestly don't look during the season. I normally check it out once and that's it.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Marvin Jones practiced today: http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/8/10/9127659/marvin-jones-rey-maualuga-bengals-practice-pat-sims
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 08:22 PM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: Marvin Jones practiced today: http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/8/10/9127659/marvin-jones-rey-maualuga-bengals-practice-pat-sims

It's about damned time!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 02:19 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Marvin Jones needs to play through his injury he's been out long enough who knows if he'll even be the same 10 td player he was

Didn't he get 4 of those in one outlier game against the Jets?
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 12:55 AM)Utts Wrote: Didn't he get 4 of those in one outlier game against the Jets?

Even if he would have just had 2 TDs that game 8 TDs is good for a #2 receiver.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 05:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: Marvin hates them, so they really don't say much, I honestly don't look during the season. I normally check it out once and that's it.

Marv probably gives zero ***** that anyone can see he has Peerman over Burkhead.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 02:56 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Marv probably gives zero ***** that anyone can see he has Peerman over Burkhead.

this time of year the vets normally are placed ahead of the rest.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 01:10 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Even if he would have just had 2 TDs that game 8 TDs is good for a #2 receiver.

Yeah but when you look at it this way

1 game 4 TDs

15 games 6 TDs

Is good but not great. But still for a rotating #2 that year(with sanu) its pretty decent numbers on the year.
Reply/Quote