Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis Is A Top 25
In head coaching losses. Which isn't that bad, until you look at some facts.

He ranks 24th all time with 102 losses.

However, within the top 25, only three coaches have a worse winning percentage than he. Norv Turner, Sam Wyche, and Dick Vermeil.

Within the top 25, Marvin Lewis is one of six of those head coaches to have never have won a Conference game.

Within the top 25, Marvin Lewis is one of TWO head coaches to have never won a playoff game. The other is Jim Mora.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 09:13 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: In head coaching losses. Which isn't that bad, until you look at some facts.

However, within the top 25, only three coaches have a worse winning percentage than he. Norv Turner, Sam Wyche, and Dick Vermeil.

Within the top 25, Marvin Lewis is one of six of those head coaches to have never have won a Conference game.

Within the top 25, Marvin Lewis is one of TWO head coaches to have never won a playoff game. The other is Jim Mora.

Also, a bit of perspective on his 0-7 record: 

Of the 24 coaches that have lost 7 or more playoff games, 19 of them have also won at least 7, and they've all won at least 2...except Marvin. 

Marvin is also one of 8 coaches to have appeared in exactly 7 playoff games. The other 7 have at least 3 wins. 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 09:13 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: However, within the top 25, only three coaches have a worse winning percentage than he. Norv Turner, Sam Wyche, and Dick Vermeil.

Not true.  Weeb Eubank, Jeff Fisher, and Tom Coughlin all have more losses and a lower winning percentage than Marvin Lewis.
Reply/Quote
Marvin is a true anomaly. I think it is fair to say that there has never been a coach with the same amount of regular season success and post season failure as Marvin. Bad coaches usually don't make the playoffs as much as Marvin and good coaches usually win some postseason games.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin is a true anomaly.  I think it is fair to say that there has never been a coach with the same amount of regular season success and post season failure as Marvin.  Bad coaches usually don't make the playoffs as much as Marvin and good coaches usually win some postseason games.

The epitome of average then really.

Not bad enough to ruin a talented group of players , or lose their discipline and focus.

Not good enough as a HC to be a differentiator and turn a talented group of players into a consistent playoff force.

He's just so middle of the road and conservative and seems to lack dynamism.  

Sometimes i guess that's an asset (i think the job he did in the 2009 season was great ..to win the division with all the other stuff going on - Zim's wife, Chris Henry, 2008 season)....most of the other time i see him as a passenger just reacting to circumstances too slowly and predictably
Reply/Quote
Marvin is currently 83-84 against the AFC during his tenure. (83-91 counting the postseason)

The breakdown is interesting.

He's 29- 49 (.372) in the regular season against the top 5 most consistently successful teams since '03: 
Pats, Steelers, Broncos, Ravens, Colts. These 5 teams account for 58% of his total AFC regular season losses.

He's 54- 35 (.607) in the regular season against the other ten teams, none of which have appeared in a SB since '03. 

If you take away his 20-8 record against the hapless Browns, his record versus the rest of the AFC is 63- 76.
(63-83 if you include the postseason)

He's been much more successful against the NFC: 34- 19- 3.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 05:58 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He's been much more successful against the NFC: 34- 19- 3.

You sold me.

Let's trade him to an NFC team.

Mellow
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 07:16 PM)Benton Wrote: You sold me.

Let's trade him to an NFC team.

Mellow

Well, the Saints are looking to trade Payton.  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 07:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Well, the Saints are looking to trade Payton.  Smirk

Let's get er done
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 09:13 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: In head coaching losses. Which isn't that bad, until you look at some facts.

What are Marvin's legacy wins? He doesn't really have any. He has lost all his playoff appearances so the next best thing would be a win against Pittsburgh. His biggest career victories are regular season Steeler games.  And out of 30 games he has only managed 8 wins. That's it. That is the highlight of his career. Am I right?
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 08:44 PM)Antares Wrote: What are Marvin's legacy wins? He doesn't really have any. He has lost all his playoff appearances so the next best thing would be a win against Pittsburgh. His biggest career victories are regular season Steeler games.  And out of 30 games he has only managed 8 wins. That's it. That is the highlight of his career. Am I right?

Sadly, his biggest legacy game is now last year's Wild Card implosion against the Steelers.  
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 08:44 PM)Antares Wrote: What are Marvin's legacy wins? He doesn't really have any. He has lost all his playoff appearances so the next best thing would be a win against Pittsburgh. His biggest career victories are regular season Steeler games.  And out of 30 games he has only managed 8 wins. That's it. That is the highlight of his career. Am I right?

I'd say his biggest legacy win would be upsetting the 9-0 Chiefs to get to 5-5 and a share of the lead in the AFCN. That happened in his very first season. Sad that a regular season win from 14 seasons ago is still a top candidate for his biggest W ever. Here I thought that was the beginning of big things.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote