Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis Number 1 failure
(10-09-2016, 11:13 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How may new head coaches have entered the NFL since ML became head coach? How many won Super Bowls? Good luck finding the needle in a hay stack.

How many coaches hired since Marvin have won a single playoff game?  That's the next step for Giggles.  A step he is literally incapable of taking.  He lacks so much it makes me naesous.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 09:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No I do not have to admit that.  Last year we looked like a Super Bowl team until Dalton got injured.

Even you can not dispute this simple fact.  

Looked like a Superbowl team until the pants filling 6 points they put up at home on MNF. A "performance" which cost them the #1 seed in the AFC. Then losing at AZ WITH AD.

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane (when it matters) isn't a reputation to hang a hat on. There is no progress. Marvin has done what he is capable of.

Anyone else remember when the ex coaches/players who are now on TV who used to say "Marvin's a good coach, he'll figure it out."? They stopped saying that crap a while ago. No one is stumping for the guy and sticking their neck out any more. It's because (R.I.P, Denny Green) "He is who we thought he was"
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 12:08 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Looked like a Superbowl team until the pants filling 6 points they put up at home on MNF. A "performance" which cost them the #1 seed in the AFC. Then losing at AZ WITH AD.

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane (when it matters) isn't a reputation to hang a hat on. There is no progress. Marvin has done what he is capable of.

Anyone else remember when the ex coaches/players who are now on TV who used to say "Marvin's a good coach, he'll figure it out."? They stopped saying that crap a while ago. No one is stumping for the guy and sticking their neck out any more. It's because (R.I.P, Denny Green) "He is who we thought he was"

Man, imagine if we had Zimmer. Why do you let him leave and leave giggles here? It's saddening. I don't give a D*mn what happens on that field, all you going get is the "Blank stare" and the "Let's Go". 

Hopefully, if we get a lead today against the Cowboys, he allows the team to stomp on their neck. Mr. Lewis loves these 10 point leads, that turns into a defecit, which turns into a 2 minute drive to win the game. The last 2 minutes of the game should all be quarterback kneels because you stomped out the other team, no reason you should be fighting back to regain the lead after leading for the 95% of the game because your team started relaxing.  
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 03:56 PM)JumboTron Wrote: 13 seasons.  0-7 in postseason play.  Still employed.  Humiliating a fan base nationally every year.  Oh wait I forgot, just getting there is awesome because you know....the '90s.

Marvin is the embodiment of fail as a Head Coach.

Marvin is only one of the 12 coaches who does that to Cleveland, so don't pin that all on him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 10:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: At a point where he consistently has better talent but loses anyway.

You want to fire Marvin for losing to the Texans when they had the number one defense and the nuber two rushing offense in the league while Marvin had starters like OG Mike McGlynn and WR Ryan Whalen on offense and a defense full of cheap retreads like Chris CRocker, Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard.

Personally I think that was a good coaching job instead of something he should be fired for.

This is ridiculous. 

I could go through every team we lost to and pick out a few players that sucked. For example, we lost to teams quarterbacked by Sanchez and the great TJ Yates. Who were the Jets starting receivers again? I remember they had the mighty Shonn Greene at RB. The Chargers were just an awful playoff team outside of Rivers/Gates. Indy is devoid of talent on defense and we got ran over by a practice squad RB (Boom Herron). The Steelers had a terrible defense and we couldn't move the ball on them. The Steelers had to rotate 3rd and 4th string RBs because Bell and Williams were out.

The Bengals had plenty of talent. Enough to win 10+ games and beat plenty of other great teams during regular season. Teams like NE, GB, Seattle, Denver, Indy, etc. They swept a great division in '09.

Not buying that argument, and I'm certainly not buying it for 7 games. Even if we were outmatched in all 7 - we most definitely weren't - we still should have stumbled into at least one win with some of these teams that were talented enough to make the playoffs and win divisions repeatedly.

I'll end by asking this: how was Marv able to coach these junk teams to 10+ wins when they (according to you) lacked talent? Does lack of talent only become evident in the playoffs?

(10-09-2016, 11:13 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How may new head coaches have entered the NFL since ML became head coach? How many won Super Bowls? Good luck finding the needle in a hay stack.

Idk man. This reads like you're saying we should be content with "pretty good" because there's not much chance of finding "great". I think all sports teams should strive for greatness.

Right now, there are 7 head coaches who have won Super Bowls. I'm sure all those teams had to hire/fire quite a few before they found those gems.

Now what would have happened if the Ravens had stuck with Billick and not hired Harbaugh? What if the Broncos had stuck with John Fox? Sometimes you have to move on. That doesn't mean hiring a new HC every year ala the Browns, but you shouldn't keep a HC who can't win a playoff game for 14 years either. There is middle ground.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 12:08 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Looked like a Superbowl team until the pants filling 6 points they put up at home on MNF. A "performance" which cost them the #1 seed in the AFC. Then losing at AZ WITH AD.

See, this is a perfet example of the criticism of the Bengals around here.  Everyone claims that every other good team in the league NEVER loses a single game.  But in fact every other good team also loses games.  Last year Patriots lost to the 7-9 Eagles and then with home field advantage on the line lost to the Jets and Bills in the final two games of the season.  Broncos lost to the Raiders and Colts.  None of those teams made the playoffs, but when the Bengals lose to a playoff team like the Texans it is worse than what all other winning teams are doing.

So many haters have zero perspective.  they think that every ther good team goes undefeated or at least never loses to a lesser team.  They just don'tknow how the NFL works.

(10-09-2016, 12:08 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane (when it matters) isn't a reputation to hang a hat on. There is no progress. Marvin has done what he is capable of.

Marvin ha sshown a lot of improvement against good teams.  Over the last 3 full seasons only 4 teams have more wins against teams that finished with a winning record then the Bengals 10 and only 3 teams have a better winning percentage against teams that finished with a winning record.  the Bengals .579 winning percentage against teams that finished with a winning record is one of only 6 teams that have won more than half of such games.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 12:34 PM)mhbsavant Wrote: Hopefully, if we get a lead today against the Cowboys, he allows the team to stomp on their neck. Mr. Lewis loves these 10 point leads, that turns into a defecit, which turns into a 2 minute drive to win the game. The last 2 minutes of the game should all be quarterback kneels because you stomped out the other team, no reason you should be fighting back to regain the lead after leading for the 95% of the game because your team started relaxing.  

This is another example of a hater who just does not watch other NFL games.  Marvin is no more conservative with a big lead than most other NFL coaches.

And even better Marvin's strategy works.  Over the last 3 full seasons the Bengals have only lost 7 games in which they held the lead.  Only ONE team has fewer such losses and that is the Patriots with only one fewer (6).  If Marvin is so stupid and all these other NFL coaches are so much smarter then why are they all losing games they lead more often than Marvin?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 01:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: See, this is a perfet example of the criticism of the Bengals around here.  Everyone claims that every other good team in the league NEVER loses a single game.  But in fact every other good team also loses games.  Last year Patriots lost to the 7-9 Eagles and then with home field advantage on the line lost to the Jets and Bills in the final two games of the season.  Broncos lost to the Raiders and Colts.  None of those teams made the playoffs, but when the Bengals lose to a playoff team like the Texans it is worse than what all other winning teams are doing.

So many haters have zero perspective.  they think that every ther good team goes undefeated or at least never loses to a lesser team.  They just don'tknow how the NFL works.

Marvin ha sshown a lot of improvement against good teams.  Over the last 3 full seasons only 4 teams have more wins against teams that finished with a winning record then the Bengals 10 and only 3 teams have a better winning percentage against teams that finished with a winning record.  the Bengals .579 winning percentage against teams that finished with a winning record is one of only 6 teams that have won more than half of such games.

Comparing the multi World Champion Patriots and their coach to the Bengals and their coach is like comparing.... Well, the World Champion Patriots to the freaking Bengals.

The Pats have EARNED the right to slip every so often because they climb back up to excellence.

The 2015 Bengals collapsed after 1/2 a season and played .500 ball only to be booted out in the 1st round yet again. Only this time, in the biggest and worse implosion in NFL playoff history.

I am not a hater. I supported Marvin through most kf last season. But after the collapse, the reversion back to conservative junk offense, and failing to beat the two good teams they have played this season I think it's back to the same ol Marvin.

Lastly, I wasn't saying that good teams win every game or can't lose to lesser ones. I am saying that the Bengals cannot win big or important games more often than they lose them. In fact, nowhere close.

Last year, the backup QB thing is bogus, frankly. Lots of teams have won big with backups throughout NFL history. Lots of teams over come. And, quite frankly, AJ played better than Andy ever has in a playoff game and looks to be very bit as competent after just 5 games vs Andy's 5 seasons. It's a pathetic EXCUSE at this point.
Reply/Quote
The time management has improved this season though. besides for the Chinese fire drill against Jets
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 12:08 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Anyone else remember when the ex coaches/players who are now on TV who used to say "Marvin's a good coach, he'll figure it out."? They stopped saying that crap a while ago. No one is stumping for the guy and sticking their neck out any more. It's because (R.I.P, Denny Green) "He is who we thought he was"

Wrong again.  here is a list of experts who predict the bengals will make it to the Super Bowl this year

ESPN's Dan Graziano and Ryen Russillo,

Sports Illustarted's Ben Baskin

CBSSports' John Breech and Sean Wagner-McGough

Naters just hear what they want to hear.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 01:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: See, this is a perfet example of the criticism of the Bengals around here.  Everyone claims that every other good team in the league NEVER loses a single game.  

I've never seen anyone on this board say that...ever.

As for the rest of your post, of course good teams some times lose to lesser teams.

Guess what also happens sometimes? 

Lesser teams sometimes beat better teams in the postseason.
Less talented teams sometimes beat more talented teams in the postseason.
Less healthy teams sometimes beat more healthy teams in the postseason.
The road team sometimes beats the home team in the postseason.
The underdog sometimes beats the favorite in the postseason.
Hell, sometimes...less talented or injury riddled teams win the Super Bowl.

Yet somehow, in 7 opportunities...as a favorite, an underdog, healthy, with injuries, at home, on the road, with more talent, with less talent...with different QB's, different RB's, different coordinators, etc...Marvin and his teams have found a way to lose in pretty much every type of situation in the playoffs. 

Unfortunately, instead of discussing that time the Bengals won a playoff game or two with Marvin, we are left with a mountain of excuses and the continuous explaining away why Marvin-led teams have failed in every chance they've had in the postseason.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 01:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: See, this is a perfet example of the criticism of the Bengals around here.  Everyone claims that every other good team in the league NEVER loses a single game.  But in fact every other good team also loses games.  Last year Patriots lost to the 7-9 Eagles and then with home field advantage on the line lost to the Jets and Bills in the final two games of the season.  Broncos lost to the Raiders and Colts.  None of those teams made the playoffs, but when the Bengals lose to a playoff team like the Texans it is worse than what all other winning teams are doing.

LOL.  Not even you believe this load of crap.  
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 01:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong again.  here is a list of experts who predict the bengals will make it to the Super Bowl this year

ESPN's Dan Graziano and Ryen Russillo,

Sports Illustarted's Ben Baskin

CBSSports' John Breech and Sean Wagner-McGough

Let's hope they are right!!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 01:30 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I am saying that the Bengals cannot win big or important games more often than they lose them. In fact, nowhere close.

And you are wrong.  Not even close.

(10-09-2016, 01:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  Over the last 3 full seasons only 4 teams have more wins against teams that finished with a winning record then the Bengals 10 and only 3 teams have a better winning percentage against teams that finished with a winning record.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 01:44 PM)JumboTron Wrote: LOL.  Not even you believe this load of crap.  

What load of crap?

Are you really going to argue that no other good teams other than the Bengals lose gamesin the regular season?

Are you going to argue that the bengals do not have one of the very best records against the best teamns in the league over the last 3 years?

Which part are you claiming is a load of crap?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 01:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I've never seen anyone on this board say that...ever.

As for the rest of your post, of course good teams some times lose to lesser teams.

Guess what also happens sometimes? 

Lesser teams sometimes beat better teams in the postseason.
Less talented teams sometimes beats more talented teams in the postseason.
Less healthy teams sometimes beat more healthy teams.
The road team sometimes beats the road team in the postseason.
The underdog sometimes beats the favorite in the postseason.
Hell, sometimes...injury riddled teams win the Super Bowl.

Yet somehow, in 7 opportunities...as a favorite, an underdog, healthy, with injuries, at home, on the road, with more talent, with less talent...with different QB's, different RB's, different coordinators, etc...Marvin and his teams have found a way to lose in pretty much every type of situation in the playoffs. 

Unfortunately, instead of discussing that time the Bengals won a playoff game or two with Marvin, we are left with a mountain of excuses and the continuous explaining away why Marvin-led teams have failed in every chance they've had in the postseason.

Holic, as a board Admin. are you flattered, creeped out or indifferent to the fact that Mike Brown (fred) is an active member on your board?  I really don't know of any message board anywhere on the net where a team's owner just posts willy-nilly on a public forum for the fans of said team.  Pretty groundbreaking if you ask me.
Reply/Quote
@Pdub: Agree 100% that we should have won with McCarron at home with the more talented team. Heck, Yates was a 3rd stringer who beat us in the playoffs.

That said, no McCarron is nowhere near Dalton's level. He averaged 160 yards per start and was AWFUL in the playoff game. You can't blame Marvin for poor performance in the playoffs, yet somehow not include the QB in that. QB's are players just like anyone else, and they've all been awful. McCarron included.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 01:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I've never seen anyone on this board say that...ever.

Then go back and read the post where it is claimed that our loss to a playoff team (Texans) proved that we were not capable of winning a championship.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 01:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: @Pdub: Agree 100% that we should have won with McCarron at home with the more talented team. Heck, Yates was a 3rd stringer who beat us in the playoffs.

That said, no McCarron is nowhere near Dalton's level. He averaged 160 yards per start and was AWFUL in the playoff game. You can't blame Marvin for poor performance in the playoffs, yet somehow not include the QB in that. QB's are players just like anyone else, and they've all been awful. McCarron included.

Yates also threw for less than 160 yards in his playoff game against the Bengals.  But he had the #2 overall defense and the #2 rushing offense to help him.  Dalton had a good defense (#7) and a poor rushing game (#21).  Dalton was forced to throw the ball 42 times while Yates had an easy time with Arian foster rushing for 153 yards and keeping the defensive pressure off of him.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 01:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then go back and read the post where it is claimed that our loss to a playoff team (Texans) proved that we were not capable of winning a championship.

We are incapable of winning a championship with Lewis at the helm because we did lose to the Texans.  And lost to them again, and lost to the Steelers, and lost to the Jets, and lost to the Chargers, then lost to the Colts, then lost to the Steelers again.....0-7.  13 seasons. 

Lewis sucking a*s is not an anomaly that can be applied to losing a big game here or there.  It's a trend.  A trend that will not be broken as long as Marv roams the sidelines with a headset on.
Reply/Quote