Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Lewis and Bengals agree on contract extension
(04-09-2016, 03:14 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Should have been let go or promoted to GM after the SD loss. (Strong on this one)

Should have been let go or promoted to GM when it was clear Zimmer was leaving after the Indy loss. (Strong on this one)

Should have been let go or promoted to GM after it was clear Hue was leaving after "the debacle". (meh why not try on this one)

I just can't care any more. Rah Rah win one for Marv.

According to reports, Marvin offered Hue a deal where after 2 years Marvin would step down and Hue would take his place but Hue chose Cleveland but Mike Brown didn't like that idea so Hue chose Cleveland.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000651626/article/marvin-lewis-bengals-agree-to-extension
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Here Marv, we're going to give you an extension, but we want you to know that we are growing impatient with your lack of post season success!
Reply/Quote
Don't get your hopes up for a playoff win this year, not gonna happen...and after the latest news tack the following year on.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2016, 09:09 PM)Awful Llama Wrote:
Won't somebody please think of the '90s?!!! 

[Image: helen.jpg]

Truth. I keep thinking man the 80s seem really nice now....
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2016, 11:14 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I just do see the upside to this from an organizational standpoint. Why take away all of the leverage that you have and put some pressure on Marv to have some postseason success next season? I don't get it.

This. I was meh when they did it two years ago with all the FA this post season. Doing it now? Why? Let him earn it this year.

If they're so happy with how he's handling it, then why not just come out and give him a 5 year deal? Keep giving him these one or two year deals like "yeah, sure, why not?".

Just sign him to a longer deal so we don't have to keep going thru this every two years or so.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

I felt exactly like Ben Affleck in this video when I heard the news...
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I used to joke that Marvin would be the head coach here for at least 20 years. Now, I'm starting to think that may not be a joke after all.   Shocked
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2016, 03:14 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Should have been let go or promoted to GM after the SD loss. (Strong on this one)

Should have been let go or promoted to GM when it was clear Zimmer was leaving after the Indy loss. (Strong on this one)

Should have been let go or promoted to GM after it was clear Hue was leaving after "the debacle". (meh why not  try on this one)

I just can't care any more. Rah Rah win one for Marv.

We simply aren't allowed to have a GM.  Can you imagine what the Ravens would have become if Ozzie Newsome had to be the HC in order be the team's "GM" too?  Oof.  The Bengals just do things differently.

(04-09-2016, 01:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I used to joke that Marvin would be the head coach here for at least 20 years. I'm starting to think that may not be a joke after all.   Shocked

I said this a few seasons ago, but success or no I can totally see Marvin hitting the 20 year mark because we may as well keep the stability and consistency to groom Dalton's replacement.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2016, 09:09 PM)Awful Llama Wrote:

I agree, but dear God can we please get over the hump and make a run in the playoffs.

When it comes to football smarts, Marvin Lewis >>>> Mikey Brown. But that only last so long when Marvin can't get it done on the big stage (meaning playoffs).

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2016, 09:09 PM)Awful Llama Wrote:

[Image: helen.jpg]

Bengals have the Longest streak without a playoff win, the 2000's and 2010's are just a continuation  of the 90's. Maybe by the 2020's Marvin will be gone and we can actually get over the hump. The mistake people make is assuming the 90's ever really ended for this franchise, unfortunately that decade is close to carrying on for the 3rd time in a row 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2016, 08:41 PM)Big Boss Wrote: [Image: 04262678-483d-4fd1-9beb-709b2d86e890]

This is our last 6 seasons
Reply/Quote
I think Brown gave Lewis an extension out of spite because of the article saying they were getting inpatient.
Reply/Quote
Is anybody really surprised?
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2016, 06:57 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Is anybody really surprised?

No. And at this point considering the best in house replacement options have all left, I suggest we just go with it to keep our sanity. GO Marvin
[Image: tumblr_inline_o4rvjqILHT1reygjb_500.gif]

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2016, 06:48 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think Brown gave Lewis an extension out of spite because of the article saying they were getting inpatient.

Which I think is awesome. The media tried making a big deal out of nothing with their 'unnamed sources" and Brown made them look like fools.

I don't see this as a guarantee he's even here next season either. Coughlin signed his extension the off-season before he got canned.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2016, 07:39 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I don't see this as a guarantee he's even here next season either. Coughlin signed his extension the off-season before he got canned.

Yeah, but the Maras know what the **** they're doing.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2016, 01:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I used to joke that Marvin would be the head coach here for at least 20 years. Now, I'm starting to think that may not be a joke after all.   Shocked

Heck, I've always thought 20+ years was very realistic.  Mellow

(04-09-2016, 07:10 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: No. And at this point considering the best in house replacement options have all left, I suggest we just go with it to keep our sanity. GO Marvin
[Image: tumblr_inline_o4rvjqILHT1reygjb_500.gif]

Pretty much. I've wanted Marv replaced after 2007, 2008, 2010, 2013 & 2014, and even I'm trying to rationalize it at this point.

Would Paul Guenther be any better than Marv? We don't have any thrilling in-house candidates any more. May as well keep rolling with Marv and hope for a miracle.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2016, 07:39 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Which I think is awesome. The media tried making a big deal out of nothing with their 'unnamed sources" and Brown made them look like fools.

Mike Brown extended a HC who can't get a single playoff win out of one of the most talented rosters in the NFL and it's the media that looks like fools?  Come again?

MEDIA:  This just in, unnamed sources say Mike Brown might FINALLY have gotten the message everyone else has gotten years ago and might FINALLY be on to the notion that Marvin Lewis might be a reason the Bengals are setting new records for underachieving!

MIKE BROWN:  Oh yea?  I'll show you!  Marvin Lewis FOREVER!!! Ha, that'll show those idiots who be smart!
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 01:47 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Mike Brown extended a HC who can't get a single playoff win out of one of the most talented rosters in the NFL and it's the media that looks like fools?  Come again?

MEDIA:  This just in, unnamed sources say Mike Brown might FINALLY have gotten the message everyone else has gotten years ago and might FINALLY be on to the notion that Marvin Lewis might be a reason the Bengals are setting new records for underachieving!

MIKE BROWN:  Oh yea?  I'll show you!  Marvin Lewis FOREVER!!! Ha, that'll show those idiots who be smart!

I don't know why most people think the Bengals have the most talented roster. In previous years I don't think we had the best roster in the NFL. I think that we had a good enough roster to win a playoff game, but we didn't have the best.
Reply/Quote