Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis blasts 'phantom call' at end of game
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/11/23/domata-peko-penalty-cincinnati-marvin-lewis/76247242/

Quote:GLENDALE, Ariz. – On television, you could see Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle Domata Peko waving his hand in front of his face as the Arizona Cardinals prepared for one final spike before attempting a game-winning field goal.

On the field, game officials heard Peko calling out the Cardinals’ snap count, and threw a flag after the noise made an Arizona offensive lineman jump.

Had the penalty been called as a false start, the result would have been a 10-second run-off, effectively sending the game to overtime. Instead, referee Terry McAulay called Peko for a personal foul – moving the line of scrimmage for the Cardinals’ game-winning kick 15 yards closer. Chandler Catanzaro nailed the 32-yarder with two seconds remaining.

It was a rare penalty, and one that Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis angrily described after the game as a “phantom call.”

“I trust what our player said. He’s alerting a run and not anything to do with what they’re saying,” Lewis said. “I don’t see how they make that call at that point in the game like that.”

But Cardinals players said that kneel down wasn’t the only time they heard Peko calling out the Cardinals’ snap count.

“They were very loud and demonstrative with their shifts. The line shifts like that, it sounded like a cadence,” Arizona receiver Larry Fitzgerald said. “I’m just glad they finally caught it later in the game.”

Palmer, who was Peko’s teammate in Cincinnati for six years, said the call was “obvious.”

“The ref was right there,” Palmer said. “They obviously said the snap count and that’s a 15-yarder.”

Well, at least it was the refs fault they lost. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
Doing his best John Harbawl impersonation.

Side note: maybe he should blast himself for not calling a run on that last 3rd down.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If the game comes down to one play, then you didn't do your job the rest of the damn game.

A 3pt loss, on the road to one of best teams in the league ?
I'm not ashamed.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:41 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: If the game comes down to one play, then you didn't do your job the rest of the damn game.

A 3pt loss, on the road to one of best teams in the league ?
I'm not ashamed.

Agree, but it wasn't over time. Still no shame they showed they could play in pt. especially if they would do away with the 3rd quarter.  Ninja
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:36 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Doing his best John Harbawl impersonation.

Side note: maybe he should blast himself for not calling a run on that last 3rd down.

Agree.  You run the ball, and if you don't make it you are kicking the FG with about 15 secs left, and that penalty never comes up.  Marvin just trying to deflect another moronic decision.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Im still scratching my head as to how an official behind Peko, can 100% sure know he simulated the signal. I mean its not like hes looking right at Peko's mouth as he was yelling it out. Granted whether he actually did or not, it could have been anyone on the defensive line if your staring at their backs. Without a 100% shadow of a doubt certainty can you justify throwing the flag?
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:36 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Side note: maybe he should blast himself for not calling a run on that last 3rd down.

I do believe he DID call a run on 3rd but Dalton saw the AJ mismatch and audibled out of it.  I suppose Marvin and Dalton could start screaming at each other, though.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 11:49 AM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/11/23/domata-peko-penalty-cincinnati-marvin-lewis/76247242/

Well, at least it was the refs fault they lost.  Ninja

I'm not on-board with blaming one call for losing a game, regardless of whether you think it was a good call or not.

That said, a general comment: What is up with the officials? They've been pretty lousy in most the games around the league I've seen this year.

The NFL needs to pony up and make them full-time league employees, dam cheapskates.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
BTW- If I were Peko, I would have been calling out their count. That's an unofficial part of the game: give yourself a chance to put them out of field goal range.

And F*** Carson. Like his guys wouldn't have done the same thing.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 03:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I do believe he DID call a run on 3rd but Dalton saw the AJ mismatch and audibled out of it.  I suppose Marvin and Dalton could start screaming at each other, though.

It was an option play...QB read one on one with AJ and threw it...bad throw.  Thing is, don't even have that be an option.  Unbalanced line, bring in Hewitt, and smash it in for the first.  

Maybe it was a bad penalty, maybe not.....sounds like sour grapes from Marv to me.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 04:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: It was an option play...QB read one on one with AJ and threw it...bad throw.  Thing is, don't even have that be an option.  Unbalanced line, bring in Hewitt, and smash it in for the first.  

Maybe it was a bad penalty, maybe not.....sounds like sour grapes from Marv to me.

True, but I said in another post that we want Dalton to be a swaggering leader of a QB with confidence and blah blah blah.  Well, he made a big-boy move and it didn't pay off.  So it goes.  Not every gutsy call is going to be a winner...that's what makes said calls gutsy.  On a lighter note, Erik Kramer was the backup QB for the Lions who came in due to injury and audibled out of a run play to Barry Sanders (on his first offensive series as their QB) to take advantage of a WR matchup he liked.  It was a TD and the right call, but the fact that he pulled rank was noteworthy.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 04:12 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I'm not on-board with blaming one call for losing a game, regardless of whether you think it was a good call or not.

That said, a general comment: What is up with the officials? They've been pretty lousy in most the games around the league I've seen this year.

The NFL needs to pony up and make them full-time league employees, dam cheapskates.

The officials are just getting worse as the fans have a chance to see replays better and more often.

I did not watch the game last night (except I flipped over and saw the Carson long TD pass to the rookie) but I was on twitter and saw they missed a H2H on a hit on Green.  MEANWHILE they take a pick 6 away from the Redskins on a "close" hit on a defenseless Wr.  AND missed pulling the Rams QB after he had a concussion. 

The NFL sucks.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 05:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: The officials are just getting worse as the fans have a chance to see replays better and more often.

I did not watch the game last night (except I flipped over and saw the Carson long TD pass to the rookie) but I was on twitter and saw they missed a H2H on a hit on Green.  MEANWHILE they take a pick 6 away from the Redskins on a "close" hit on a defenseless Wr.  AND missed pulling the Rams QB after he had a concussion. 

The NFL sucks.

True that.

BTW- That Nelson rookie is something else. He can really blow the lid off of a D!
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 05:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: The officials are just getting worse as the fans have a chance to see replays better and more often.

The NFL sucks.

The missed call on AJ was pretty bad considering they call anything that looks like it may be illegal, but the Rams QB was damn near criminal.  Dude could barely get up and then was wobbling all around.  The spotter must have been trying to get a last hot dog before the concession stands closed. 
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

The NFL sucks.

The calls in that Ravens Ram game were just comical. 11 flags in the first half. Dumervil went to sack Keenum at one point. Keenum gets the throw off as Dumervil goes to wrap him up. The two walk back a number of steps with Dumervil wrapping him up still and Keenum falls back bringing Dumervil with him.

Roughing the passer. Prevents 4th down. 

A Ravens back up on the o line gets beat bad and falls down and the Rams defender falls over him.

Tripping. Negates a big 1st down run on 3rd.

Not that this had anything to do with it being close as the Ravens also had some glaring penalties on the D that were correctly called, but it's comical sometimes.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 06:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The missed call on AJ was pretty bad considering they call anything that looks like it may be illegal, but the Rams QB was damn near criminal.  Dude could barely get up and then was wobbling all around.  The spotter must have been trying to get a last hot dog before the concession stands closed. 
The refs have the power to take a player out as well, it doesn't have to just be the brain surgeon dude. I'm not sure how the refs can flag a h2h hit while determining there is no chance either player is anything less than 100%.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The incompetence of NFL referees is staggering. I once saw Jerome Boger signal 3rd down looked up at his fingers to make sure he had 3 of them up there, then he adjusted his fingers accordingly.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 08:29 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: The incompetence of NFL referees is staggering. I once saw Jerome Boger signal 3rd down looked up at his fingers to make sure he had 3 of them up there, then he adjusted his fingers accordingly.

"One two three...yup that's it.  Third down."

Reply/Quote
Officiating this year is flat out laughable. None the less nothing will happen because Goodell is terrified of holding the refs accountable.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 11:00 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Officiating this year is flat out laughable. None the less nothing will happen because Goodell is terrified of holding the refs accountable.

I would nor sat the Bengals loss was on the refs, they did not make the plays needed to win the game.

I will say officiating is the major obstacle in the last few years making and keeping the NFL the number one sport in the US. It still amazes me the NFL chooses part time employees to mold the outcome of too many games each week.

Every fan should write Goodell and voice their displeasure so he can convince the owners full time officials are needed, then use the part time guys to review plays in New York at slow motion. The y have proven they are really bad making calls at full speed.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote