Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis hopes to sign contract extension
Marvin Lewis hopes to sign contract extension

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000779185/article/marvin-lewis-hopes-to-sign-contract-extension

For much of the last decade and a half in Cincinnati, three things have been constant: the sun rising and setting, winter coming and going, and Marvin Lewis remaining entrenched as the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals.

That's quietly been questioned in recent years, especially after yet another first-round exit from the playoffs at the end of the 2015 season, and a regression year in 2016 following the departure of several key free agents. The ceiling in the Lewis era seems to be Wild Card playoff berth and prompt end to the campaign.

That isn't stopping the coach from seeking more security, though.

"We'd like to agree to something at some point," Lewis said about a desire to receive a contract extension, via the Cincinnati Enquirer. "It puts, I think, everybody's mind at ease going forward for their futures. A lot of the people in the building, it makes it easier on them."

Lewis went on to reiterate his desire to chase a championship in Cincinnati and feels well enough to do so. The bar has been lowered slightly by the down year, but from that season came a bit of encouragement, most notably the development of rookie wideout Tyler Boyd. Plus, the average person would take near-perennial contention and multiple playoff appearances. Ask fans of the Browns and Bengals what they'd give up in exchange for a playoff berth.

But if the Bengals finish out of the playoffs, or sputter to another first-round exit, most on staff will be looking over their shoulders. That last line about folks in the building, then, makes much more sense, as does framing it as being about more than securing Lewis' own job. It's about keeping the culture in place, even if the culture hasn't produced a Lombardi Trophy.

But a team that found more ways to lose in 2016 than in past seasons (and didn't get help from injuries) needs a bounce-back season, which begins in finding a way to add another playmaker for Andy Dalton, solving the situation at kicker (which flew off the rails when Mike Nugent suddenly lost his accuracy), and bolstering a front seven that finished 21st in rushing yards allowed. Accomplish two of these tasks and it'll be reasonable to expect to contend for the AFC North in 2017. It'll also mean a raising of the bar and the increased pressure that comes with it, which will be easier to operate under if not a lame duck coach.
When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
cleveland hopes to become a legitimate team at some point in the distant future
Reply/Quote
They will probably  win a playoff game before the Bengals do.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 01:19 AM)Vambo Wrote: They will probably  win a playoff game before the Bengals do.

Why don't you shoot for winning more than 1-2 games a season first. You have to walk before you can run.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 04:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why don't you shoot for winning more than 1-2 games a season first. You have to walk before you can run.

Even at that pace they will win a playoff game before the Bengals do!  [Image: 99c73272e50b5bfafc95_4.gif]

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 01:19 AM)Vambo Wrote: They will probably  win a playoff game before the Bengals do.

Since it takes more than four wins to get into the playoffs, that seems unlikely.  And don't forget, your HC has the stink of Marvin on him too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 03:28 PM)McC Wrote:   And don't forget, your HC has the stink of Marvin on him too.

Another reason he wanted out of Cincinnati so bad. Hilarious  

The Bengals have 5 all-time playoff wins.

Cleveland Browns 11 20 .355 629 728

Cincinnati Bengals 5 13 .278 320 415

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 09:40 PM)Vambo Wrote: Another reason he wanted out of Cincinnati so bad. Hilarious  

The Bengals have 5 all-time playoff wins.

Cleveland Browns 11 20 .355 629 728

Cincinnati Bengals 5 13 .278 320 415

Yeah, but how much do the 50's and 60's count?  At least Marvin has step one pretty well down.  He may suck at step two but you guys aren't even close to step one.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 08:14 AM)McC Wrote: Yeah, but how much do the 50's and 60's count?  At least Marvin has step one pretty well down.  He may suck at step two but you guys aren't even close to step one.

They're too busy laying on the ground drooling, in front of the steps. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I look forward to the Bengals hiring a new head coach in 2070.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 08:14 AM)McC Wrote: Yeah, but how much do the 50's and 60's count?

Well when your team actually wins one you will know the answer to that question. [Image: 4b7a0565d7618996158b_1.gif]

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 06:32 PM)Vambo Wrote: Well when your team actually wins one you will know the answer to that question. [Image: 4b7a0565d7618996158b_1.gif]

You really can't compare two teams by citing things that happened before one of the teams existed.  I realize finer points are lost on you and all.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 06:32 PM)Vambo Wrote: Well when your team actually wins one you will know the answer to that question. [Image: 4b7a0565d7618996158b_1.gif]

Look at it this way.  We won 6 games and were pissed about it.  You guys won one and thanked your lucky stars to get all the way to one.  That's really all that matters.

If Jim Brown winning playoff games(never the big one, mind you) soothes the pain of supporting that giant pile of crap you call a franchise, I can understand that.  We once totally sucked from the top down too.

Reply/Quote

Because your one win season means theyre on the right track?
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2017, 05:55 PM)Beaker Wrote: Because your one win season means theyre on the right track?

Hey, they won titles in the 50's.

Reply/Quote
This isn't suppose to be the smack forum but at least compare apples to apples.

Since the Bengals entered the league in 1968:

Bengals Playoff wins:  5
Browns Playoff wins:  6

Bengals last playoff win: 1990 Wildcard over the Houston Oilers (1/6/91)
Browns last playoff win: 1994 Wildcard over the New England Patriots (1/1/95)
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2017, 07:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: This isn't suppose to be the smack forum 

/thread
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 11:38 PM)Vambo Wrote: Marvin Lewis hopes to sign contract extension

I sincerely hope he does. I have a great respect for him. He has been great for the AFC North and it would be sad to see him go. 
Reply/Quote
Of course he wants an extension. He knows that once he leaves Cincinnati he's done as a coach. No other franchise will have a head coach that has proven he can't win a playoff game. He has no shot at going back to being a DC after his comment about in game adjustments being something made up by the media and there is no way he'd take a demotion all the way back to a position coach. He'll be lucky to get hired somewhere as a peewee coach.
Reply/Quote