Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis is 0-7 in the playoffs. So why is he still coaching the Bengals?
I would equate it to hiring a telemarketer and making them use a rotary phone; Or a mechanic with only wrenches and no impact guns. You get the point...
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 02:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Counting the postseason...he is 2-14 against the Steelers...AT HOME. 

Just think about that. 2-14 in your own house against your #1 rival - and you still have a job! 

Hell, his record against the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Colts and Broncos - the 5 most consistently successful AFC teams  during the last 15 years  (and a part of every SB during that time)- is a combined  31-54, including 0-3 in the playoffs.

So, just to sum up...

66-81 against AFC teams not located in Cleveland (66-88 if including PO's).
31-54 against the top 5 AFC teams during his tenure (including PO's).
8-30 in prime time games.
8-23 versus the Steelers.
2-14 against the Steelers at home.
0-7 in the postseason.
Owns the record for straight playoff losses without a win.
Owns the record for consecutive playoff losses without a win.
Owns the record for the most playoff losses without a win.

Sick

[Image: giphy.gif]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Hilarious

It is so sad it is funny.

Any coach on any other team would of been fired with Marv's 2nd half scoring differential and record against
their #1 rival in their own Division. You cannot continue to never make in game adjustments and continue to
lose at home to your Division rival and not be a complete joke.

Him talking down our first round pick almost makes me want MB to fire him right now and i wasn't for this
before. I am seriously starting to dislike Marvin Lewis as a person which i also never did before.

Just have to ride this dead horse for the rest of the season. We can make it through guys. Sick
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 02:47 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I would equate it to hiring a telemarketer and making them use a rotary phone; Or a mechanic with only wrenches and no impact guns. You get the point...

What is sad is then the mechanic goes and throws his wrenches away...
Reply/Quote
Why did I read this thread? It's depressing the hell outta me! Sad
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 03:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hilarious

It is so sad it is funny.

Any coach on any other team would of been fired with Marv's 2nd half scoring differential and record against
their #1 rival in their own Division. You cannot continue to never make in game adjustments and continue to
lose at home to your Division rival and not be a complete joke.

Him talking down our first round pick almost makes me want MB to fire him right now and i wasn't for this
before. I am seriously starting to dislike Marvin Lewis as a person which i also never did before.

Just have to ride this dead horse for the rest of the season. We can make it through guys. Sick

The Bengals accept that same mediocrity from players too in many cases. It's what is meant by a toxic organizational culture.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 05:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals accept that same mediocrity from players too in many cases. It's what is meant by a toxic organizational culture.

Not with John Ross for some weird reason.

He let Marv, Andy and the whole team down on that one play lol

Crickets when Og and Bodine play terrible all year.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 05:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not with John Ross for some weird reason.

He let Marv, Andy and the whole team down on that one play lol

Crickets when Og and Bodine play terrible all year.

I think Alexander wanted OG and Bodine so he plays them.

Lewis didn't want Ross so he doesn't play him.

It's why the coaches scouting fails.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 01:56 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Why does Mike have such a hardon for terrible coaches? And why is he so against firing them or letting them quit? 

He is to the front office as PA is to our Oline: loyal to a fault, no matter the incompetence. 

Someone beat me to the punch, but it's all about his Dad getting fired. #MikeBrownLogic

To the OP, this reminds me of when I compared the Mervin-Era Bengals to a GF who always lets you get to 2nd base, then shuts you down as you're heading for 3rd.

We had playoff blue balls. 7 times.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 05:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Someone beat me to the punch, but it's all about his Dad getting fired. #MikeBrownLogic

To the OP, this reminds me of when I compared the Mervin-Era Bengals to a GF who always lets you get to 2nd base, then shuts you down as you're heading for 3rd.

Well, that makes sense... But that's just plain stupid. There's a difference between firing someone for personal reasons (what happened to Paul in Cleveland) and firing someone for sheer incompetence (every coach we've had since Mike took over). You'd think an "educated man" like Mike Brown would understand that.

I also can't wrap my head around why he wouldn't let an underachieving head coach walk. He actually tried to talk a couple of 90's coaches out of quitting? Are you kidding me? He had to realize that they weren't getting the job done and them walking away isn't a bad thing... Is he simply terrified to get up off his butt and do search for a new coach?
Reply/Quote
Because our owner is a eunuch money counter.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 05:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think Alexander wanted OG and Bodine so he plays them.

Lewis didn't want Ross so he doesn't play him.

It's why the coaches scouting fails.

You should work with what you have regardless if you wanted the player or not.

This is borderline childish by both Marv and PA. Play the best players and use them to their strengths.

These guys just don't get this at all.

We needed speed so we drafted the fastest dude ever at the combine, use it.

He isn't all speed either, has a wide route tree. I mean, this stuff is pretty simple.

Same with PA and this Zone Blocking Scheme. Probably ought to draft players that fit it. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 05:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Someone beat me to the punch, but it's all about his Dad getting fired. #MikeBrownLogic

(11-16-2017, 05:46 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Well, that makes sense... But that's just plain stupid. There's a difference between firing someone for personal reasons (what happened to Paul in Cleveland) and firing someone for sheer incompetence (every coach we've had since Mike took over). You'd think an "educated man" like Mike Brown would understand that.

I also can't wrap my head around why he wouldn't let an underachieving head coach walk. He actually tried to talk a couple of 90's coaches out of quitting? Are you kidding me? He had to realize that they weren't getting the job done and them walking away isn't a bad thing... Is he simply terrified to get up off his butt and do search for a new coach?

To be honest, he allegedly fired Sammy over personal reasons/disagreements.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 02:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: Is it possible to be so accidentally stupid to make billions of dollars and always lose? You would really have to work at it. 

With the appreciation of an NFL franchise over the years and profit sharing, it's really not that hard. 

They had enough money in the beginning to get their foot in the door and shrewdly gobbled up all the shares...and here we(they) sit in 2017, rolling in the dough because they made smart plays over the years.

To bad they don't care about making smart plays on the field. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 06:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: To be honest, he allegedly fired Sammy over personal reasons/disagreements.

I'm sure. Wyche wanted to win at all costs, God forbid. Sammys way and the Mike Brown way are polar opposites. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't agree on a single thing.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 05:46 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Well, that makes sense... But that's just plain stupid. There's a difference between firing someone for personal reasons (what happened to Paul in Cleveland) and firing someone for sheer incompetence (every coach we've had since Mike took over). You'd think an "educated man" like Mike Brown would understand that.

Well like you're saying, it's common sense to see the difference.

(11-16-2017, 06:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: To be honest, he allegedly fired Sammy over personal reasons/disagreements.

Good point. Maybe the spiel about his pops just sounds good. Personally, I think Mike just lacks the testicular fortitude to fire people. Since Wyche, Mike has been witness to 15 losing seasons (counting this one) and an overall record of 173-233-3 (.427). That's a **** ton of losing, yet how many coaches has he fired?

David Shula - holds the record for quickest to 50 losses, due to Mike's unwillingness to fire him. Finished with a record of 19-52 (.267).
DlCK LeBeau - It took a 2-14 season to get him fired. Finished 12-33 (.267).

2 head coaches fired in the last 26 years...with a record like that.  Sick

He hasn't even allowed many coordinators or position coaches to be fired. 

Bob Bratkowski lasted 10 seasons. He was forced on Merv after the offense finished 31st and 28th in points. Then it took 3 straight years of terrible offense to get him fired, mercifully. We finished 32nd, 22nd and 22nd in point over his last 3 years.

Ken Zampese was only fired due to a mutiny headed by AJ Green.

Kenny Anderson had to rip off 3 terrible seasons in a row (including our worst ever offensive season - 185 points) to get demoted.

This old article about Kenny's demotion still holds true today:

http://amarillo.com/stories/122700/spo_bengals.shtml#.Wg4MMEqnGM8

Quote:Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2000

CINCINNATI (AP) - The Cincinnati Bengals demoted offensive coordinator Ken Anderson on Tuesday, their only significant move following their 10th straight season without a winning record.

The Bengals scored only 185 points this season, the fewest in franchise history, and had the least-effective passing offense in the NFL.
Anderson, who as a quarterback led the Bengals to the Super Bowl in 1981 and holds many of the club's passing records, has been the offensive coordinator for the last four seasons. He was offered the chance to stay as an assistant coach next season.

In an anticipated move, linebackers coach Mark Duffner was elevated to defensive coordinator. Duffner takes over for Dick LeBeau, who was promoted to head coach following the third game of the season and got a contract extension last week.
No other coaching changes were made Tuesday, though LeBeau said some could happen when the offensive coordinator is picked.

The Bengals (4-12) have the NFL's worst record since 1990, the last time they had a winning season.
LeBeau said the circumstances this season - Bruce Coslet quit after an 0-3 start - made it difficult on the staff.
"This was a very unusual season for us," LeBeau said. "Certainly we did not have the success that we wanted to have, but that our football team continued to compete, I think, is important. If we do not produce more, then I think we all will be held to a sterner judgment this time next year."

That's not likely. General manager Mike Brown rarely makes more than a couple of changes in his staff following a bad season, preferring continuity in coaching.

From 1997-99, the Bengals went 14-34 but made only two changes in their assistant coaching staff.
Anderson has long been one of Brown's favorites, playing for the Bengals from 1971-86. He became quarterbacks coach in 1993 and was elevated to offensive coordinator during the 1996 season.
Anderson was in charge of developing quarterbacks David Klingler and Akili Smith, both of whom struggled.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 02:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Counting the postseason...he is 2-14 against the Steelers...AT HOME. 

Just think about that. 2-14 in your own house against your #1 rival - and you still have a job! 

Hell, his record against the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Colts and Broncos - the 5 most consistently successful AFC teams  during the last 15 years  (and a part of every SB during that time)- is a combined  31-54, including 0-3 in the playoffs.

So, to sum up...

66-81 against AFC teams not located in Cleveland (66-88 if including PO's).
31-54 against the top 5 AFC teams during his tenure (including PO's).
8-30 in prime time games.
8-23 versus the Steelers.
2-14 against the Steelers at home.
0-7 in the postseason.
Owns the record for straight playoff losses without a win.
Owns the record for consecutive playoff losses without a win.
Owns the record for the most playoff losses without a win.

Sick

Just unfrigging believable record and still be employed.

What was the total 2nd half points for Bengals in playoffs before last Steelers game ? Like 16 or something ? just abysmal

Does anybody have the actual stats for Merv's overall 2nd half point differential ?
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 07:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well like you're saying, it's common sense to see the difference.

Good point. Maybe the spiel about his pops just sounds good. Personally, I think Mike just lacks the testicular fortitude to fire people. Since Wyche, Mike has been witness to 15 losing seasons (counting this one) and an overall record of 173-233-3 (.427). That's a **** ton of losing, yet how many coaches has he fired?

David Shula - holds the record for quickest to 50 losses, due to Mike's unwillingness to fire him. Finished with a record of 19-52 (.267).
DlCK LeBeau - It took a 2-14 season to get him fired. Finished 12-33 (.267).

2 head coaches fired in the last 26 years...with a record like that.  Sick

He hasn't even allowed many coordinators or position coaches to be fired. 

Bob Bratkowski lasted 10 seasons. He was forced on Merv after the offense finished 31st and 28th in points. Then it took 3 straight years of terrible offense to get him fired, mercifully. We finished 32nd, 22nd and 22nd in point over his last 3 years.

Ken Zampese was only fired due to a mutiny headed by AJ Green.

Kenny Anderson had to rip off 3 terrible seasons in a row (including our worst ever offensive season - 185 points) to get demoted.

This old article about Kenny's demotion still holds true today:

http://amarillo.com/stories/122700/spo_bengals.shtml#.Wg4MMEqnGM8

Personally....I think he fired Wyche because they butted heads over personnel.  He's the outlier.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 08:15 PM)Wyche Wrote: Personally....I think he fired Wyche because they butted heads over personnel.  He's the outlier.

Yup !

Sam wasn't a fall right in line "YES" man so he had to go.

Mike had some really good ideas he wanted to try - "lets try the DE's at TE, and why are we paying these interior O-linemen real money" ?
And Sam was like Mike "shut the hell up and let us football guys handle the players".
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 08:15 PM)Wyche Wrote: Personally....I think he fired Wyche because they butted heads over personnel.  He's the outlier.

Right. Wyche probably wouldn't buy what Mike was selling. So it's been a steady stream of yes-men ever since. In reward for their compliance, they get perma-jobs.
Reply/Quote