Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Lewis misses practice today
Best wishes Marvin and hope to see you back soon.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Marvin was able to return last night via reports on social media. Will coach preseason game against Bucs.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 12:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: Marvin was able to return last night via reports on social media. Will coach preseason game against Bucs.

Good, these things can get scary.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 10:16 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Maybe Jack Del Rio. I might put him over Marvin at this point though. Marvin has a losing record w/o Dalton and hasn't ever won a playoff game. Sure, getting to the playoffs 7 times (5 with Dalton) is good, but he should have won at least once if he was better than mediocre.

wow.. that is all you have for judging a coach mediocre.. so  a coach that took over the worst team in the 90s decade that has taken his teams to the playoffs 7 out of 14 years, had only 4 losing seasons in 14 years, I believe 3 division championships, has a record of 118-110 , which the 118 wins ranks him 30th and could move to 25th with 10 wins this year is considered mediocre... does not add up mediocre...
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 03:35 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: wow.. that is all you have for judging a coach mediocre.. so  a coach that took over the worst team in the 90s decade that has taken his teams to the playoffs 7 out of 14 years, had only 4 losing seasons in 14 years, I believe 3 division championships, has a record of 118-110 , which the 118 wins ranks him 30th and could move to 25th with 10 wins this year is considered mediocre... does not add up mediocre...

Marvin only had 2 winning seasons w/o Dalton. Marvin never really had a lack of talent when he took over the team. What has Marvin done to make him above a mediocre coach? Have a horrible prime time/playoff record? Or is it because he took a crappy team and in 14 years only having 7 of those years above .500 (which 5 of them came when Dalton was the QB)? I don't see anything that Marvin has done that would put him above mediocre.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 11:22 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I'm not ready for a new HC for the sake of having a new HC...  if it was the RIGHT head coach then sure... but change for the sake of change isn't always good.

Change for the sake of change? How about change for the sake of he's 0-7 in the playoffs and went 6-9-1 last year?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 04:44 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Marvin only had 2 winning seasons w/o Dalton. Marvin never really had a lack of talent when he took over the team. What has Marvin done to make him above a mediocre coach? Have a horrible prime time/playoff record? Or is it because he took a crappy team and in 14 years only having 7 of those years above .500 (which 5 of them came when Dalton was the QB)? I don't see anything that Marvin has done that would put him above mediocre.

this is too funny.. all teams have talent.. few teams win without talent especially a good QB .. look at San Francisco, Bears etc.. I could go on and on.. you are just picking and choosing looking at the Bengals in a bias way... 

Compare what Marvin has done as a coach as a whole... so i guess if he had drafted terrible ie not drafted Dalton or Green or Geno or Dunlap or Johnson etc... and not been able to turn this team around that would mean the same for a mediocre coach.. your logic just does not make sense and lack real credible facts.. it is filled with opinion..

Coaches are judged as a whole by looking at hard core stats/facts such as wins/losses, division championships, getting to the post season, winning in post season, changing a losing team to a winning team or the opposite, 

Marvin is in the positive way more than the negative in these hard factual stats... 

A fair debate is where should he fall as a coach.. average to about average coach or a playoff run away from very good coach.. that is a reasonable debate.. but what you are debating is not... im done... 
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 05:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Change for the sake of change? How about change for the sake of he's 0-7 in the playoffs and went 6-9-1 last year?

And what is he , 8-29 in Primetime games and 7-30 against the steelers? Marv has shown that he knows enough about the game to put the pieces together (i.e. Acquire talent) but has no clue how to make them into a realistic contender. When it comes to 1:00 regular season games against anyone other than Pittsburgh one could argue Marvin is an elite coach. But when you look at his overall head coaching career as a whole? Mediocre might even be too generous.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 05:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: this is too funny.. all teams have talent.. few teams win without talent especially a good QB .. look at San Francisco, Bears etc.. I could go on and on.. you are just picking and choosing looking at the Bengals in a bias way... 

Compare what Marvin has done as a coach as a whole... so i guess if he had drafted terrible ie not drafted Dalton or Green or Geno or Dunlap or Johnson etc... and not been able to turn this team around that would mean the same for a mediocre coach.. your logic just does not make sense and lack real credible facts.. it is filled with opinion..

Coaches are judged as a whole by looking at hard core stats/facts such as wins/losses, division championships, getting to the post season, winning in post season, changing a losing team to a winning team or the opposite, 

Marvin is in the positive way more than the negative in these hard factual stats... 

A fair debate is where should he fall as a coach.. average to about average coach or a playoff run away from very good coach.. that is a reasonable debate.. but what you are debating is not... im done... 

Essex with his best Fred Toast impression, everyone!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 05:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: this is too funny.. all teams have talent.. few teams win without talent especially a good QB .. look at San Francisco, Bears etc.. I could go on and on.. you are just picking and choosing looking at the Bengals in a bias way... 

So Palmer wasn't a good QB? lol. So, what was Marvin's excuse for only having 2 winning seasons in the Palmer era?

Marvin has taken this team from one of the worst in the league to one that can't win in the playoffs. Any mediocre coach can do that if they had the time Marvin has had. A good coach would have at least have a playoff win. How does that not make sense or lack "credible facts"?

Marvin Lewis has a sub .500 record without Dalton. Lewis has only won 4 division championships in 14 years. Lewis been out coached 7 times in the playoffs. Lewis changed a losing team into a team that other teams LOVE to play in the playoffs, because they consider it a free win.

Just because Lewis raised the bar from horrible to mediocre doesn't make him a good coach. It makes him by definition a mediocre coach.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 10:33 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Marvin Lewis has a career winning percentage of .520 (counting the playoffs). While I believe that's the best among Bengals head coaches, that's still a basically .500 win-loss percentage. .500 is quintessentially mediocre.

Word

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 11:22 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I'm not ready for a new HC for the sake of having a new HC...  if it was the RIGHT head coach then sure... but change for the sake of change isn't always good.

0-7 in the playoffs with his abysmal record in prime time and against the Steelers, over 14 seasons, isn't just change for the sake of change. Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 05:58 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: So Palmer wasn't a good QB? lol. So, what was Marvin's excuse for only having 2 winning seasons in the Palmer era?

Marvin has taken this team from one of the worst in the league to one that can't win in the playoffs. Any mediocre coach can do that if they had the time Marvin has had. A good coach would have at least have a playoff win. How does that not make sense or lack "credible facts"?

Marvin Lewis has a sub .500 record without Dalton. Lewis has only won 4 division championships in 14 years. Lewis been out coached 7 times in the playoffs. Lewis changed a losing team into a team that other teams LOVE to play in the playoffs, because they consider it a free win.

Just because Lewis raised the bar from horrible to mediocre doesn't make him a good coach. It makes him by definition a mediocre coach.

perhaps it takes a little bit to build a winner from a perianal loser. You can say Marvin only had 2 winning seasons with Carson; however compare the Bengals record 6 years pre/post Marvin what do you come up with?

What is Mike Brown's record with/without Marvin?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 06:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: perhaps it takes a little bit to build a winner from a perianal loser. You can say Marvin only had 2 winning seasons with Carson; however compare the Bengals record 6 years pre/post Marvin what do you come up with?

What is Mike Brown's record with/without Marvin?

Yes, the Bengals were a bad team before Marvin. So what? He brought the team to the level that he is. Good enough to beat bad teams, but not good enough to beat good teams. That's pretty much the definition of mediocre. What has Marvin done to make him a good coach? His ceiling is mediocrity.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 12:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: Marvin was able to return last night via reports on social media. Will coach preseason game against Bucs.

These reports are almost always grossly oppisite of the truth. R.I.P. Marvin.

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 05:58 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: So Palmer wasn't a good QB? lol. So, what was Marvin's excuse for only having 2 winning seasons in the Palmer era?

When Marvin started coaching during the Carson Palmer years, Mike Brown was still interfering with the team in negative way.  Remember the billboards telling Mike Brown to hire a GM?

It wasn’t until the end of the Carson Palmer era that Mike Brown started to fully trust Marvin and the football people to run the team.
Reply/Quote
During Marvin's career it's been 8 years of mostly missing the post season (minus 05 and 09) and now 6 years of mostly one and dones in the post-season. Maybe next we can lose in the divisional round for 6-8 years.

Slowly but surely we will win the Superbowl under Marv. LOL
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 06:36 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: During Marvin's career it's been 8 years of mostly missing the post season (minus 05 and 09) and now 6 years  of mostly one and dones in the post-season. Maybe next we can lose in the divisional round for 6-8 years.

Slowly but surely we will win the Superbowl under Marv. LOL

That's his 30 year plan lol.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 06:40 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: That's his 30 year plan lol.

Imagine 88 year old Marvin hoisting the Lombardi trophy from his rascal.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 06:34 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: When Marvin started coaching during the Carson Palmer years, Mike Brown was still interfering with the team in negative way.  Remember the billboards telling Mike Brown to hire a GM?

It wasn’t until the end of the Carson Palmer era that Mike Brown started to fully trust Marvin and the football people to run the team.

This is a popular narrative, but I'm not sure there's much substance to it. Marv turned over 60% of the roster in his first year. He and Tobin (with input from position coaches) have been shaping this roster from day 1. Of course Mike probably plays a big role with coveting compensatory picks and avoiding free agency, but that's never changed.

Mike said himself that he's only overruled Marv on 1 decision, and I think we all know what decision that was.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote