Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin, Marvin, Marvin...
(09-26-2016, 10:27 AM)GodFather Wrote: The thing I don't like about the mindset of Marvin Lewis and the Bengals are that Zimmer leaves and they hire Paulie G to continue with Zims system with Paulie running it because everyone is comfortable with it. Then Hue leaves and Z takes over because he knows the system and the players know the system.

Who runs that system the best? Zim running Zim and Hue running Hue. The OC/DC coach are like a Journey cover band. They can imitate whats already been done but creating their own identity and bringing the team to another level won't happen. Mike Brown is a lazy owner when it comes to these things, makes it easy for him to hire within, keep Marvin as HC because although he's not winning the big games, he's doing enough.

And really thats the Bengals...not doing it all..but enough to keep the money train rolling ahead full steam.

Honestly I was getting the feeling that Hue was more influential on the team last year then Marvin was. It felt like Hue was calling the shots on everything aside from defense and Marvin was just there.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I've never felt that there is an urgency to win with this organization. There does not seem to ever be an "all in" mentality. There is a "we did some good things, need to improve on a few, but it just did not go our way" thought process in both Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis. In many ways I feel they are sort of kindred souls. I don't think any other owner would have kept Marvin for this long, and I'm not sure that any other coach could have gotten Mike to relinquish some of the control.

I often hear about how much things will change once Mike finally steps down and Katie assumes full control, but I wonder if that is the case. She is after all his daughter; she grew up in his house and has learned the business by working with him every day of her adult life. She seems extremely frugal, extremely private, set in her ways. Does this sound like anyone else we know?
Reply/Quote
Where was this thread last year?
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 09:07 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: We made a mistake not firing Marvin in past seasons when we had decent coordinators. Should have done it with Zimmer, then we missed another chance with Hue.

Now we have two coordinators who I wouldn't trust to park my car.

The organization has made great strides in the last decade, but somehow the blind loyalty it sometimes displays comes back to bite us. Marvin is the perfect example of blind loyalty holding us back.

IMO, Mikey likes the team to be good enough to attract the fans, but not good enough to win post season games which in his mind costs him money. Mikey has a Goldilocks mentality - not too bad, not too good. And he has the right coaches to ensure that is the outcome every year. Sick
Reply/Quote
It all depends on who's available. I agree, Zimmer would have been preferable to keep as HC but that's not an option now. So if the Bengals don't make the playoffs, I'm not entirely sure I want Marvin gone if there's nobody else good enough.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 02:48 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: It all depends on who's available. I agree, Zimmer would have been preferable to keep as HC but that's not an option now. So if the Bengals don't make the playoffs, I'm not entirely sure I want Marvin gone if there's nobody else good enough.

There are plenty out there who could take this roster and win a playoff game or 2. Do I know who they are specifically? No. But I do know that Marvin is not one of those guys.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 02:54 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: There are plenty out there who could take this roster and win a playoff game or 2. Do I know who they are specifically? No. But I do know that Marvin is not one of those guys.

There are probably some high school coaches out there that could at least do that......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 02:48 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: It all depends on who's available. I agree, Zimmer would have been preferable to keep as HC but that's not an option now. So if the Bengals don't make the playoffs, I'm not entirely sure I want Marvin gone if there's nobody else good enough.
You're never going to find out if there's anyone else good enough if you don't roll the dice.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 10:42 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I've never felt that there is an urgency to win with this organization.  There does not seem to ever be an "all in" mentality.  There is a "we did some good things, need to improve on a few, but it just did not go our way" thought process in both Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis.  In many ways I feel they are sort of kindred souls.  I don't think any other owner would have kept Marvin for this long, and I'm not sure that any other coach could have gotten Mike to relinquish some of the control.

I often hear about how much things will change once Mike finally steps down and Katie assumes full control, but I wonder if that is the case.  She is after all his daughter; she grew up in his house and has learned the business by working with him every day of her adult life.  She seems extremely frugal, extremely private, set in her ways.  Does this sound like anyone else we know?

It does seem this way. I would imagine it's because Mike Brown does not want to gamble the future for the now.

In a related note, does it also seem like the Bengals never try to go down the field to get extra points near the end of the first half if they get the ball back at the second half? Specifically yesterday, when they just lost the lead and were down by just two due to blocked PAT, had ~30 seconds and two timeouts. Rather than try to at least get into FG range to try and have the lead at half and get the ball to start the 2nd half, they just took a knee. Yet another example of never seeming to have any urgency.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 10:45 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Where was this thread last year?

The day after the playoff game?
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 02:06 PM)Derrick Wrote: IMO, Mikey likes the team to be good enough to attract the fans, but not good enough to win post season games which in his mind costs him money. Mikey has a Goldilocks mentality - not too bad, not too good. And he has the right coaches to ensure that is the outcome every year. Sick

Winning post season games would make more money for Mike Brown.

This does not make any sense.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 03:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Winning post season games would make more money for Mike Brown.

This does not make any sense.

Tell that to him.  There's an old quote of his where he actually says that he makes more money by not advancing to the post-season.  Perhaps that's changed, but it's right from the horses mouth.  Making the playoffs costs him money.

Note: I don't believe that Mike currently doesn't want to win, or feels that money comes into play when looking at advancing.  I'm just pointing that he did indeed say this some years back.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 03:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Tell that to him.  There's an old quote of his where he actually says that he makes more money by not advancing to the post-season.  Perhaps that's changed, but it's right from the horses mouth.  Making the playoffs costs him money.

Note: I don't believe that Mike currently doesn't want to win, or feels that money comes into play when looking at advancing.  I'm just pointing that he did indeed say this some years back.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/01/04/nfl-playoffs-are-not-a-road-to-riches-for-teams/#19d3fd354a7b

This is why Mike Brown hates the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 04:07 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/01/04/nfl-playoffs-are-not-a-road-to-riches-for-teams/#19d3fd354a7b

This is why Mike Brown hates the playoffs.

First of all home teams in the playoffs make money.  So winning more means more money for Mike.

Second, Derrick was trying to argue that somehow Mike made more money from making the playoffs but not advancing.

So none of this argument makes any sense.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 07:58 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: The Problem with the Bengals........see sig image below.

Its called Metathesiophobia. This is the issue with this franchise. Maybe we should all pitch in to pay for a commercial for Metathesiophobia awareness. We can get Sarah McLachlan to sing some depressing shit as Morgan Freeman narrates something like, Morgan" Every year 31 NFL teams go about their day without living in fear, confident in the decisions they make in everyday operations, but there is one team that desperately needs your help. Please wont you help save this franchise by saving your money. For the small price of one Peko jersey you could be making a difference. So please help Mr.Brown so he can overcome this tragic condition. Together we can all make a difference.

Metathesiophobia side effects may include but not limited to Prime time loses, Playoff droughts, lack of motivation, sudden game loss, unnecessary flags, prevent defense, unwillingness to play Sundays, Cramps to Jones, dropped int's, failure to protect your QB, failure to sack a QB, unprepared preparation to face other teams, anal leakage, Shawn Williams, lack of awareness, lack of focus when trying to catch, poor clock management, refusal to challenge plays, If your not sure about a fumble that last for more than two weeks please call you doctor. If Metathesiophobia has caused you to lose a loved one in FA please seek medical attention. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 04:13 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Its called Metathesiophobia. This is the issue with this franchise. Maybe we should all pitch in to pay for a commercial for Metathesiophobia awareness. We can get Sarah McLachlan to sing some depressing shit as Morgan Freeman narrates something like, Morgan" Every year 31 NFL teams go about their day without living in fear, confident in the decisions they make in everyday operations, but there is one team that desperately needs your help. Please wont you help save this franchise by saving your money. For the small price of one Peko jersey you could be making a difference. So please help Mr.Brown so he can overcome this tragic condition. Together we can all make a difference.

Metathesiophobia side effects may include but not limited to Prime time loses, Playoff droughts, lack of motivation, sudden game loss, unnecessary flags, prevent defense, unwillingness to play Sundays, Cramps to Jones, dropped int's, failure to protect your QB, failure to sack a QB, unprepared preparation to face other teams, anal leakage, Shawn Williams, lack of awareness, lack of focus when trying to catch, poor clock management, refusal to challenge plays, If your not sure about a fumble that last for more than two weeks please call you doctor. If Metathesiophobia has caused you to lose a loved one in FA please seek medical attention. 

BENGALTA: A new FDA approved drug to treat the symptoms of Metathesiophobia. 

Ask your Commisioner if BENGALTA is right for you!
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 04:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First of all home teams in the playoffs make money.  So winning more means more money for Mike.

Second, Derrick was trying to argue that somehow Mike made more money from making the playoffs but not advancing.

So none of this argument makes any sense.

Straight from the article:

NFL teams generate a fraction of those revenues and sometimes even lose money during the playoffs as expenses and incentive payouts pile up.
Reply/Quote
My biggest gripe with Marvin is that hes an arrogant douche at times, and its not even deserved. Belichick is arrogant, but that guy has won super bowls and he has a right to be. Hes the smartest guy in the room when it comes to football knowledge.

Have you ever listened to one of Marvin's press conferences? People ask him questions and he just comes off like he is untouchable, he doesnt owe anything or an explanation to anyone about anything.

I get tired of his ass.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 04:39 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Straight from the article:

NFL teams generate a fraction of those revenues and sometimes even lose money during the playoffs as expenses and incentive payouts pile up.

Doesn't contradict anything I said.

Home teams make money in the playoffs.  So more wins means more money for Mike.

If Mike really was afraid of losing money by playing a road playoff game then we would not be making the playoffs every year.

So the argument that Mike wants to make the playoffs but not win because of money makes no sense at all.
Reply/Quote
My biggest gripe with Marvin is that hes an arrogant douche at times, and its not even deserved. Belichick is arrogant, but that guy has won super bowls and he has a right to be. Hes the smartest guy in the room when it comes to football knowledge.

Have you ever listened to one of Marvin's press conferences? People ask him questions and he just comes off like he is untouchable, he doesnt owe anything or an explanation to anyone about anything.

I get tired of his ass.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote