Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin, Marvin, Marvin...
Get back to me when Zimmer or Hue or Gruden wins something.

Until then we are talking about guys that are in the same boat. It's 3 games into the season, let's remember Atlanta was 5-0 last year and they went on to win the Sup... never mind, division.... never mind, made the play.... never mind.
Reply/Quote
Marvin should have been gone after 2010. It's pretty telling that your franchise QB would rather retire than play football for your team anymore right after you give your HC an extension.

In b4: Well Palmer sucks. Yeah, I'm glad we have Andy too, but Palmer has something Marv probably never will...a playoff win.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 05:29 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Get back to me when Zimmer or Hue or Gruden wins something.

Until then we are talking about guys that are in the same boat.  It's 3 games into the season, let's remember Atlanta was 5-0 last year and they went on to win the Sup... never mind, division.... never mind, made the play.... never mind.

Much smaller sample size. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 03:27 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I have wanted to get rid of Marvin since the 2009 playoff loss. The I really wanted to get rid of him after the 2013 playoff loss.

He's was hired as our HC when I was in Jr high. I think that's long enough.

No wonder you're so childish, you just a baby. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 05:29 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Get back to me when Zimmer or Hue or Gruden wins something.

Until then we are talking about guys that are in the same boat.  It's 3 games into the season, let's remember Atlanta was 5-0 last year and they went on to win the Sup... never mind, division.... never mind, made the play.... never mind.

Because of tenure, there is only one current coach you can compare to Marvin, and that is Belichick.  Belichick has won his division 13 times, has been to the AFC Championship Game 10 times, the Super Bowl six times, and has won four of them.  As we are all well aware, Marvin has not won a single playoff game.
Reply/Quote
Marvin is here until HE decides otherwise and it's beyond a shame.
Reply/Quote

I won't put my neck out for Gruden, but why don't you get back to me when Zimmer has been a HC for 12 years and hasn't won a playoff game. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not sold Marvin would have lasted this long without the Zimmer era. We'll never know, but Zimmer gave him his D, and Marvin is still making a living off of it.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
What really gets me about this, is that you know people in the organization HAVE to be saying something about this.

If the Bengals were confident in Lewis, why not sign him to a longer deal; why only give him one year extensions to his contract?
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 10:42 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I've never felt that there is an urgency to win with this organization.  There does not seem to ever be an "all in" mentality.  There is a "we did some good things, need to improve on a few, but it just did not go our way" thought process in both Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis.  In many ways I feel they are sort of kindred souls.  I don't think any other owner would have kept Marvin for this long, and I'm not sure that any other coach could have gotten Mike to relinquish some of the control.

I often hear about how much things will change once Mike finally steps down and Katie assumes full control, but I wonder if that is the case.  She is after all his daughter; she grew up in his house and has learned the business by working with him every day of her adult life.  She seems extremely frugal, extremely private, set in her ways.  Does this sound like anyone else we know?

She has a husband that has the key (wink wink) to make her reconsider.

Troy Blackburn and Duke Tobin: Magic will happen when Mike finally dies.
Reply/Quote
The inside replacements are gone, who could we realistically be looking at to replace Marvin?

I'd take a shot at Josh McDaniels.

http://nesn.com/2016/09/josh-mcdaniels-reportedly-plans-to-leave-patriots-pursue-head-coaching-job-in-2017/

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 08:49 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: The inside replacements are gone, who could we realistically be looking at to replace Marvin?

I'd take a shot at Josh McDaniels.

http://nesn.com/2016/09/josh-mcdaniels-reportedly-plans-to-leave-patriots-pursue-head-coaching-job-in-2017/

Ehh, the last time McDaniels was a HC he had the QB and #1 WR demanding trades and then he spent a 1st rounder on Tim Tebow, started the season 6-0 and then collapsed to finish 8-8.  I just don't think the seeds of the Bellichick tree work outside of NE. He wanted to replace Cutler with Cassel, so maybe he comes here and gets on the phone about replacing Dalton with Gororolpopololpolo. Wacky.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 04:13 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Its called Metathesiophobia. This is the issue with this franchise. Maybe we should all pitch in to pay for a commercial for Metathesiophobia awareness. We can get Sarah McLachlan to sing some depressing shit as Morgan Freeman narrates something like, Morgan" Every year 31 NFL teams go about their day without living in fear, confident in the decisions they make in everyday operations, but there is one team that desperately needs your help. Please wont you help save this franchise by saving your money. For the small price of one Peko jersey you could be making a difference. So please help Mr.Brown so he can overcome this tragic condition. Together we can all make a difference.

I literally lol'd at this well done sir! Bengals football=Cleveland Indians baseball

Metathesiophobia side effects may include but not limited to Prime time loses, Playoff droughts, lack of motivation, sudden game loss, unnecessary flags, prevent defense, unwillingness to play Sundays, Cramps to Jones, dropped int's, failure to protect your QB, failure to sack a QB, unprepared preparation to face other teams, anal leakage, Shawn Williams, lack of awareness, lack of focus when trying to catch, poor clock management, refusal to challenge plays, If your not sure about a fumble that last for more than two weeks please call you doctor. If Metathesiophobia has caused you to lose a loved one in FA please seek medical attention. 
Reply/Quote

You think it will take Zimmer 14+ years to win a playoff game? I don't. 

Reply/Quote
Marvin seems to lack a competitive streak.
Reply/Quote
Marvin should have been gone years ago ! And until he is gone it's just wash, rinse, repeat.

Sad thing is until Mike is gone nothings going to change. Mike's priority list:

1. Loyalty

2. Promote from within

3. Build from draft period - never spend money and fill gaps in FA

4. Win if we can
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 08:23 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm not sold Marvin would have lasted this long without the Zimmer era. We'll never know, but Zimmer gave him his D, and Marvin is still making a living off of it.
True. And Marvy was touted as a defensive whiz when he was picked by Mikey. I have not seen any whiz in over a dozen years. Oh, that's right. We fans are always fed the "used hay" when it comes to the draft, players, and coaches. We always take the bait. LMAO
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 04:44 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: My biggest gripe with Marvin is that hes an arrogant douche at times, and its not even deserved. Belichick is arrogant, but that guy has won super bowls and he has a right to be. Hes the smartest guy in the room when it comes to football knowledge.

Have you ever listened to one of Marvin's press conferences? People ask him questions and he just comes off like he is untouchable, he doesnt owe anything or an explanation to anyone about anything.

I get tired of his ass.

Nailed it.  This sums my feelings pretty well.  It's not just the performance on the field but his personality.  In fact, I may want him gone more for this reason than any other.  He just comes across as so smug.  He strikes me as incredibly condescending as almost put off by the fact that he has to address people he feels aren't worth his time. 

I mean, dude, you're making 2mil plus a year.  You're in the top 1% of the top 1%.  Dealing with the press and fans kind of comes with the territory.  And like you said, you don't always have to be a likeable character to be successful as a coach, but you better at least freaking win.

It's not like he's the coach of a team whose city paid a half billion dollars for the stadium his franchise enjoys.  Oh, wait he is.  And when asked what is response to those who are concerned with our lack of success in the playoffs, we get answers like "A lot of teams would just be happy to make the playoffs".  That's it.  No further clarification, no effort to expand on the topic, or to appease his fans.

He just seems like a smug prick.
Reply/Quote
I'm so glad you made this thread, and people share the same opinions as me, and I will go deeper in my reasons I dislike Marvin anymore. Would I love to see him finally do it for this city, yes I would. But I'm afraid we won't see it. My high expectations of this season is we might be able to win a playoff game, MIGHT. I don't think we'd do much if we did win. That's just my guess, I've lost faith in Marvin's coached team this year.

Reason number 1, Marvin doesn't replace anyone unless they are injured. We all know Bodine needs replaced, we got a guy riding the bench Westerman which I'm pretty sure would upgrade this line. If he can't play center I'm sure Boling can. I remember when there was a injury and big whit had to play guard,he looked like a all pro guard,our line looked even better and they raved at whitworth on tv getting down field on blocks.it takes a injury for any good move and i doubt marvin is even looking at fixing our bad o line. We got Cody Core who looked real good in preseason. He's also on the bench every week, and James wright gets one catch a game. He's no game changer. But coaches love him cause he can run all day I heard from the OC.

Reason 2, conservative play!! I havnt seen this team throw to the sticks on 3rd down since Carson Palmer was actually good. Man i miss them days. When the offense was on attack mode all the time,it didnt matter if we was up 14 ,or 50 seconds left in the half.the goal was to score everytime.Marvin was the coach so im not sure why he changed to take a knee. Throw a screen and punt. Maybe it was Bratkowski that did that. You simply cant just give up on 3rd down and longs all the time,even if we are getting screwed by the refs.

Reason 3- you guys already mentioned it,the post game press conferences are a joke on how he acts and what he says.he never points to the problem. He says things like we are close,we just got to fix stuff and be better and make big plays in big moments.ya think marvin? You are saying the most simplest shit? Its sickening listening to his smug dumb ass,maybe its the age and the wear and tear on him. He looks very tired of his job.

Reason 4- no fight for this team with the refs. Even the guy he tries to be like bill bellicheck argues with the refs and shows fight for his team.the good ones do.you cant just take it up the ass from the refs all the time with a blank look and clap and say nothing you can do in the interviews. Notice players will lobby for a flag and get one sometimes,coach lewis you need to argue the officials even if you go to the official meetings.thats why he dont argue.nobody talked about the officials in the pitt game.i would of loved for him to cause a scene and force the reporters to talk about the bad calls.nope not marvin. He didnt even show he cares after playoff losses,its just like see ya draft time.and im not even impressed with his drafting like everyone else is. I do give him big credit for snagging Burfict .that was his smartest move ive seen him make.

Also id like to add i did like marvin when he got here,the younger marvin that would promote games on tv and it was in marvin we trust.he did turn us arpund but we need a championship.we need playoff success and to beat good teams.im a tired fan and i started being a fan in 2002. Befpre that i loved the cowboys as a kid and it was awesome seeing them 3 peat.i had the cards,jersey,superbpwl season magazine,every thing.i want that with my hometown team.we deserve it.im emotionally invested, honestly i was saddened yesterday about pur coaching being so dumb and the refs.anyways who dey hope they get smarter and win big this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 05:47 PM)Fresno B Wrote: No wonder you're so childish, you just a baby. Sarcasm

Yeah it sucks that the Bengals never went to the SB in my lifetime. I was born 9 days after our last SB.... Kind of depressing honestly.
Reply/Quote