Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin had the defense practicing tackling
NFL level and he has to teach them how to tackle? The situation is MUCH worse than we all thought. My memory tells me basic tackling was drilled into us in the 7th grade level. I mean seriously this is just article space isn't it? Watching some college games I see DB, safeties zero in on a back and make a beautiful wrap up tackle in the backfield for a loss. It's like they recognize run play, come out of the defense backfield and in a flash is on the ballcarrier for little to no gain or a loss. Not all the time but lots of times.

If Marvin has to take time to teach tackling at this level then this defense is lost in the woods.
Reply/Quote
This is a serious problem around the NFL just not a Bengal issue.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Journalistic jargon
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
I am no fan of ML but one would assume the tackling drills was a 'reminder' to players not anything they did not know. Just essentially telling them how important it is.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Perhaps someone with a better memory can help out, but I cannot recall a defense under ML (other than Zimmers) that was good at tackling. It seems to have been a constant issue.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 10:13 PM)J.Moore Wrote: NFL level and he has to teach them how to tackle? The situation is MUCH worse than we all thought. My memory tells me basic tackling was drilled into us in the 7th grade level. I mean seriously this is just article space isn't it? Watching some college games I see DB, safeties zero in on a back and make a beautiful wrap up tackle in the backfield for a loss. It's like they recognize run play, come out of the defense backfield and in a flash is on the ballcarrier for little to no gain or a loss. Not all the time but lots of times.

If Marvin has to take time to teach tackling at this level then this defense is lost in the woods.

those are the good players. We don't get those very often. Their too expensive! Yawn

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 10:13 PM)J.Moore Wrote: NFL level and he has to teach them how to tackle? The situation is MUCH worse than we all thought. My memory tells me basic tackling was drilled into us in the 7th grade level. I mean seriously this is just article space isn't it? Watching some college games I see DB, safeties zero in on a back and make a beautiful wrap up tackle in the backfield for a loss. It's like they recognize run play, come out of the defense backfield and in a flash is on the ballcarrier for little to no gain or a loss. Not all the time but lots of times.

No you don't stop lying man!!! There are points and more yards in college Football right now than there are in the NFL. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
They have to practice tackling. There is the old Vince Lombardi clip as he yells at defense, " What the heck is going on out there. Grab, grab, grab. That's all you are doing. " Well, the Bengals don't even grab. Watching Williams, Kirkpatrick, Jackson just stand there as players right next to them go by for touchdowns. Girls play better touch football. The entire defense acts like they are afraid to get hit. They have to practice tackling.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 09:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Poor form, 15 yard penalty for targeting the head and neck area...

Yea, but the refs thought he was a pukesburg mascot, so that makes it ok....
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 07:00 PM)Trademark Wrote:
Good stuff

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 10:03 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yeah I know.

I just thought the Gif was funny. Wink

LOVED the Gif!

The "crane" following the "tackle" was my favorite part.

I'd love to see  a revitalized defense doing the crane after tackles...

Of course they'd be called for  taunting - geez, where has our NFL gone?
Reply/Quote
Marvin: "Ok guys, first you put on your underwear then pads.. Pants on the bottom, shirts on top, shoes go on your feet OUTSIDE of your socks..Helmet goes ON your heads not in them.." and work your way from there. 
I would think that the first player who even so much as thinks of taking a selfie during a game should be immediately cut. That group selfie stuff was a tad premature don't ya think?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Tackling is a lot like rebounding in basketball.  There are some basic techniques that need to be mastered but it is mostly about desire and effort.

Every player on our defense knows the proper technique for tackling.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2018, 12:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tackling is a lot like rebounding in basketball.  There are some basic techniques that need to be mastered but it is mostly about desire and effort.

Every player on our defense know the proper technique for tackling.

Exactly, most of these guys have been playing organized football for 10, 12, 15 years or more. It's not like they just got off the bus.

Their heart has to be in it ! 
Reply/Quote
This is about nothing more than sending a message.  I like it.  No matter what happens Sunday, Marvin is trying to light a fire under these guys' asses.  Back to the basics shouldn't be something you have to do at this point in any season, but they were not very good at that.  I think he will simplify things, and have them just go out there and play without thinking.  The talent available may not show the changes immediately, but you gotta start somewhere.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2018, 08:57 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

What is that cat's current FA status and can he cover a TE or RB?
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 11:51 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: This is a serious problem around the NFL just not a Bengal issue.

The new rules plus the read and react as well as zone/space assignment aspect of the scheme, compounded the tackling issues here.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2018, 01:16 PM)Whatever Wrote: What is that cat's current FA status and can he cover a TE or RB?

First of all, that's a Bengals Tiger "grr."

However, after watching the replay, looks like a horse collar tackle to me. 15yd penalty and first down. Yep, sounds about right.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2018, 01:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly, most of these guys have been playing organized football for 10, 12, 15 years or more. It's not like they just got off the bus.

Their heart has to be in it ! 

For sure! But humans are creatures of habit. If you don't fall into a routine or habit, things don't always go as well as you'd like. They should of been doing form tackling drills during camp, and probably touch on it at least weekly (or bi-weekly) to keep them sound. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2018, 01:16 PM)Whatever Wrote: What is that cat's current FA status and can he cover a TE or RB?

Too late, Steelers signed him yesterday. 4.35 40yd. time. Led his team in tackles the last 3 years. LMAO
Reply/Quote