Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin had the defense practicing tackling
(11-16-2018, 01:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is about nothing more than sending a message.  I like it.  No matter what happens Sunday, Marvin is trying to light a fire under these guys' asses.  Back to the basics shouldn't be something you have to do at this point in any season, but they were not very good at that.  I think he will simplify things, and have them just go out there and play without thinking.  The talent available may not show the changes immediately, but you gotta start somewhere.

Although I make fun, I totally agree. When a coach in the NFL takes a defense and says, "You guys forgot what got you here" and makes them go back to basic drills, how could that not send a msg. We can say the tackling has been atrocious and any good leader would do the same thing. Not saying ML is a good leader, but damn, even he knows this is the only way to fix it. I love this move by ML. Let's just hope he spent more that 15 minutes on sending the msg and made them focus on it all week.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So marvin never suggested to t. austin that he needed to do this? Marvin is no good as an HC. He is what Draymond Green says Kevin Durant is.
Reply/Quote
Paul Brown on first Bengals camp ever in 1968 walked in and said to the players, " Men, this is a football ". Talk about starting at the basics. The 2018 Bengals are very close to needing this. So some on here say these players have been tackling since pee wee football. OK, so why can't they tackle ? I am all for Coach Lewis taking them back to How To Tackle if they have to go all the way back to Pee Wee basics. Yes, they are that bad on defense. OK, we can blame it on the rule changes, but how come it's the Bengals worst in defense in NFL ? Other defenses are still tackling, rule changes and all. Coach Lewis is right to take them back to tackling practice and maybe kick some tail doing it.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2018, 08:33 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Although I make fun, I totally agree. When a coach in the NFL takes a defense and says, "You guys forgot what got you here" and makes them go back to basic drills, how could that not send a msg. We can say the tackling has been atrocious and any good leader would do the same thing. Not saying ML is a good leader, but damn, even he knows this is the only way to fix it. I love this move by ML. Let's just hope he spent more that 15 minutes on sending the msg and made them focus on it all week.

You'd think these players would be embarrassed AF just watching game tape.

I guess when you get paid either way, it's no biggie... ?

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 07:00 PM)Trademark Wrote:
Good stuff

Wow what a concept.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 10:54 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Wow what a concept.
A good concept.  Worth a Try.   Fire Austin.  Hue in as Assistant to Head Coach.  Free's up Marvin to take over Defense rest of year.  Marvin has them in tackling practice and hopefully kicking some rear ends that need kicked.  It's worth a try. If it works, this could still be a 9 or 10 win season. It is worth trying. I didn't think Bengals would be smart enough to fire Austin and try to save the season. I hope it works.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
https://youtu.be/_ifVEasCFgs

Sounds like Marvin Lewis back when he was coaching the Baltimore Ravens in 2000.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 11:51 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: This is a serious problem around the NFL just not a Bengal issue.

The whole "worst defense in NFL history" thing leads me to believe it's an extra big issue for us.

(11-16-2018, 08:57 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif]

(11-16-2018, 12:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tackling is a lot like rebounding in basketball.  There are some basic techniques that need to be mastered but it is mostly about desire and effort.

Every player on our defense knows the proper technique for tackling.

(11-16-2018, 01:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is about nothing more than sending a message.  I like it.  No matter what happens Sunday, Marvin is trying to light a fire under these guys' asses.  Back to the basics shouldn't be something you have to do at this point in any season, but they were not very good at that.  I think he will simplify things, and have them just go out there and play without thinking.  The talent available may not show the changes immediately, but you gotta start somewhere.

Hey Fred. What Wyche said.

(Dammit Wyche, if I had a nickel for every time you stole my thunder, I could buy the Bengals and hire a GM, plus build a practice facility made of solid gold)

Tongue

(11-18-2018, 12:18 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: https://youtu.be/_ifVEasCFgs

Sounds like Marvin Lewis back when he was coaching the Baltimore Ravens in 2000.

The only thing this does is remind me just how long Marvin has been coaching the Bengals. Marv used to look very young for a 40 year old.

Now he looks like some Sith Lord that's been on the dark side for far too long. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 12:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The only thing this does is remind me just how long Marvin has been coaching the Bengals. Marv used to look very young for a 40 year old.

Now he looks like some Sith Lord that's been on the dark side for far too long. 

[Image: Marvin%20Lewis_640px_1450393024152_28578...40_480.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote