Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin's main concern.....from Sportscenter interview
Giving Gio more touches would certainly help that. He's much better running out of the shotgun than Hill is. With that said I still like Hill, and he still needs to get carries, but he is just going through a cold spell like Gio did last year.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 05:20 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: I'd like them to stubbornly give Hill 3-4 straight drives and 10-15 carries early to see if he can get it going.  I think he thrives with consistent work, even if it starts slow.  The offense is too dynamic and Gio is too good to commit to this though.  So I see why they haven't.

I agree, and with Andy under center.

He might run for 1, 6, 3, 14, 2, 1, but he'll eventually break one for 60.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 06:12 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Giving Gio more touches would certainly help that. He's much better running out of the shotgun than Hill is. With that said I still like Hill, and he still needs to get carries, but he is just going through a cold spell did last year.

I actually feel that Hill, like Gio last year, is suffering from 2nd year syndrome. A lot of sports people have a less productive year in their 2nd year when compared to their rookie year. This can be due to a number of factors including; opposing teams having a better idea how to nullify their effectiveness or the player becoming complacent following a strong rookie season.

Most players overcome this moving into their 3rd season.
Reply/Quote
Hill just isn't getting it done. Luckily Bernard has more than picked up his slack so far, but it'd be great if Hill could stop tap dancing like a scared little girl every time he gets the ball and actually start running like an NFL halfback.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 05:20 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: I'd like them to stubbornly give Hill 3-4 straight drives and 10-15 carries early to see if he can get it going.  I think he thrives with consistent work, even if it starts slow.  The offense is too dynamic and Gio is too good to commit to this though.  So I see why they haven't.

So he can only thrive if we hand him the ball over and over for 2 yards and 3-and-outs and neglect the rest of our offense that's actually effective? 

Then he is not even a decent RB.
Reply/Quote
He just needs to break one stinking 45 yard run and he'll get going. You watch.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 02:46 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: He averaged over 5 ypc last year and is at 3.3 this year.  It has been debated why, but he is nowhere near where he was last year.

I still think it is his knee.

One of his first fumbles was due to having his knee bent quite awkwardly, he just straight up dropped the ball in pain.  He was down for a little while and left the game, but he did later return.

I'm convinced there is something going on in there keeping him from being able to drive his leg the way he could last season.  It seems to me that is why he isn't quite hitting the whole as hard, and instead dancing in the backfield.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You've all made great points.

Might I add that Gio has been killing it on pass-pro.

You gotta give him credit.  The guy has stepped his game up on all phases.

So outside of Hill's slump he's also dealing with an opposing RB on the roster clicking.

Which certainly can't help the frustration for Jeremy.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 04:49 PM)CoCoNuT Wrote: I was always told you shouldn't rush into things :|     ...unless it's your job or what not.

Halfway through the season is not rushing into things Coco.

I see what i see and i relay it. Last year i was crying for more Hill, this year Gio has been gettin the job done...
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 05:19 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think we need to put Andy under center and hand Hill the ball running downhill because that shifty running style that is required from the shotgun just isn't Hill's style and it's stupid not to utilize him to his strength.

We benched him after the two fumbles in the one game, which might seem legit, except one of the fumbles was when he mishandled a pitch and never had it secured, so it wasn't like it was an issue of him not wrapping up protecting the ball.

It seems like a waste of talent and waste of a key part of our offense to bench him for fumbling the pitch.
It's how we've been trying to make him run that's been the difference.

When he gets the ball going downhill, he's still been a pretty hard runner.  It's when we hand him the ball while he's basically flat-footed that he seems to dance around.

It would be foolish to do this. I do not understand why people want to rework our entire offense just so Hill can "get going" when our offense has been great this year. Sure Hill might be better from under center, but maybe more shotgun is why Andy has gone off and is a way to create mismatches for Eifert, Green, and Jones? Why would you jeopardize a young QB playing at an elite offense for a RB. Especially when our other running back is picking up the slack just fine. It makes zero sense. 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 04:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Hill is still used to having a fullback in front of him, and when he's the lone back that's where he struggles.

Yep
Reply/Quote
Honestly, it just seems like a lot of people on the boards don't want to look silly for crowning Hill as the next great RB prematurely.

I promise you guys that it's fine if you're occasionally wrong about something. We all are. It happens. No biggie.

It makes zero sense to change what this offense is doing right now. Everyone should be able to admit that.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 08:44 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: He just needs to break one stinking 45 yard run and he'll get going. You watch.

This^  And, it will happen.  Teams have been game planning for the running game, and Andy and company have responded well.  There will come a game or two, where the running attack will dominate, and Hill will break a defense down.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 02:43 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I hope we see more dominate play from Jeremy Hill...  My expectations were really HIGH on him after the last season, the end of it anyways...  Someone posted some stats that show him having just as good of a season, but something feels a miss with him... Hope to see him with more power..  just doesn't seem he is having as good of a year..

The biggest difference I see with Hill this year and when he became the starter last year is that he was generally given 20-25 carries a game and he was a able to hit his stride and wear teams down.

He's just one of those backs who hits a stride and becomes more dominate the more he carries it. I'm just not sure that opportunity will arise this year the way the offense is going with Eifert and AJ are getting open the way they are.

Reply/Quote
Our biggest concern is staying healthy.

Reply/Quote
I like Marvin's response. My own personal thoughts are:

1. Last couple of games I've started to see a hint of the "bad andy" where he holds the ball too long in the pocket - typically first half's of both games before he hits his stride.

2. Little of O line breakdown under pass rush - largely in part to 1. above.

3. Still think they are thin at LB (starter quality talent only - back ups are solid), if TEZ comes on and stays healthy (agree totally with post before this) were ok. I guess by being limited to a 53 man roster all teams can't have starter caliber back ups at all positions - but if you have a great D, sure makes it easier to deal with occasional mediocrity or errors by the O. If you're in a shootout a good percentage of the time - it can be awfully hard to win consistently. To date were good but Tez will always have somewhat of a bothersome knee issue (Deteriating Joint Disease DJD - been there, done that - have on knee replaced) and he's concussion prone ( which is sad - probably the best LB talent they've had since Odell). So that's a worry bead for me.

Hope they can just keep it rollin'!
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 03:22 PM)tigerseye Wrote: JH seems to me he isn't a fake people out all the time kind of runner. He seems to be more of a North-South "steamroller" type with an occasional juke. My opinion he needs to quit thinking so much. See a hole open up (the first hole) and hit it with everything you got. He waits and never seems to get his power moving down field. Not going to hit the big runs until he starts getting the 4 ,5 and 6 yarders first. Be more like Pete Johnson and less like Archie.

This might be the week.  The Bengals may put Dalton under center more this week to keep JJ Watt from pinning his ears back.  If this is the case we might see the traditional FB/RB set up where J Hill was very successful last year.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 10:37 PM)MrRager Wrote: It would be foolish to do this. I do not understand why people want to rework our entire offense just so Hill can "get going" when our offense has been great this year. Sure Hill might be better from under center, but maybe more shotgun is why Andy has gone off and is a way to create mismatches for Eifert, Green, and Jones? Why would you jeopardize a young QB playing at an elite offense for a RB. Especially when our other running back is picking up the slack just fine. It makes zero sense. 

Because you need to establish the fun in order to control the game, especially because the weather will start getting bad here in Cinci.  

Andy being in the shotgun or under center makes no difference in creating mismatches for Eifert, Green, Jones, etc.  Do you think a team is going to say "oh, shit, Andy's in the shotgun, so we better double AJ"?

Hill has proven that he can be an elite runner, he just needs to hang on to the ball.  Being able to beat teams with the run or the pass makes our team so much more unstoppable than only being able to beat them with the pass.

Plus, take this week, if we don't establish the run, JJ Watt will just tee-off on a pass rush and eat us alive.
Reply/Quote
As you get into the last 1/3 of the season and the playoffs the importance of the run game always jumps way up. The weather turns cold and wet and the passing game just slowly loses its pop.

The problem with Hill isn't just one thing, it rarely is. And I think (hope) it's a problem that will solve itself.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 10:52 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: This might be the week.  The Bengals may put Dalton under center more this week to keep JJ Watt from pinning his ears back.  If this is the case we might see the traditional FB/RB set up where J Hill was very successful last year.

Last year Hill was more effective as the lone setback (90 car, 485 yds, 5.5 avg, 4 tds) than running out of the I-formation (67 car, 353 yds, 5.3 avg, 3 td)
Reply/Quote