Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin's main concern.....from Sportscenter interview
Saw Marvin on Sportscenter last night. They asked him about his main concern. First he said he felt we had fixed some problems we had on defense. I assume he was talking about our tackling and run defense. Then he said his current concern was running the ball consistently. He was pretty honest. He said we had had some success running the ball, but were not consistent enough. We need to be able to run the ball consistently every play.

No groundbreaking news but better then "We just need to keep working together as a team on getting better and excuting more consistently, blah, blah, blah......."
Reply/Quote
I mean it's obvious that's are biggest issue right now and it hasn't been over emphasized bc were 8-0 but I'm glad Marv is concerned
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 02:12 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: I mean it's obvious that's are biggest issue right now and it hasn't been over emphasized bc were 8-0 but I'm glad Marv is concerned

yeah gonna need that run game in the coming months to help wind out the clock
Reply/Quote
I hope we see more dominate play from Jeremy Hill... My expectations were really HIGH on him after the last season, the end of it anyways... Someone posted some stats that show him having just as good of a season, but something feels a miss with him... Hope to see him with more power.. just doesn't seem he is having as good of a year..
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 02:43 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I hope we see more dominate play from Jeremy Hill...  My expectations were really HIGH on him after the last season, the end of it anyways...  Someone posted some stats that show him having just as good of a season, but something feels a miss with him... Hope to see him with more power..  just doesn't seem he is having as good of a year..

He averaged over 5 ypc last year and is at 3.3 this year.  It has been debated why, but he is nowhere near where he was last year.
Reply/Quote
Hill seems hesitant to hit holes this year. He is over thinking it or something.
Reply/Quote
JH seems to me he isn't a fake people out all the time kind of runner. He seems to be more of a North-South "steamroller" type with an occasional juke. My opinion he needs to quit thinking so much. See a hole open up (the first hole) and hit it with everything you got. He waits and never seems to get his power moving down field. Not going to hit the big runs until he starts getting the 4 ,5 and 6 yarders first. Be more like Pete Johnson and less like Archie.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 02:12 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: I mean it's obvious that's are biggest issue right now and it hasn't been over emphasized bc were 8-0 but I'm glad Marv is concerned

I think the running game will take care of itself soon enough. Hill has been too patient and he just needs
to hit the damn hole and quit overthinking. Gio has been running well. As the season goes on we should
get better running the ball more consistently, especially if Hill gets back to his rookie self.

It is weird how it is the exact opposite of last year though. Gio has been by far the better back this year.
Just like Hill was by far the best back last season. Kind of strange, but i think it won't last forever and one
day these guys will both start to run their best at the same time and look out when that happens...
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 02:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Saw Marvin on Sportscenter last night.  They asked him about his main concern.  First he said he felt we had fixed some problems we had on defense.  I assume he was talking about our tackling and run defense.  Then he said his current concern was running the ball consistently.  He was pretty honest.  He said we had had some success running the ball, but were not consistent enough.  We need to be able to run the ball consistently every play.

No groundbreaking news but better then "We just need to keep working together as a team on getting better and excuting more consistently, blah, blah, blah......."

Agree this is a way better response than past years and shows another step forward in growing into a winning team mentality. 

But this is how I interpret his response.......Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.... Jeremy Hill needs to get it in gear.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 03:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think the running game will take care of itself soon enough. Hill has been too patient and he just needs
to hit the damn hole and quit overthinking. Gio has been running well. As the season goes on we should
get better running the ball more consistently, especially if Hill gets back to his rookie self.

It is weird how it is the exact opposite of last year though. Gio has been by far the better back this year.
Just like Hill was by far the best back last season. Kind of strange, but i think it won't last forever and one
day these guys will both start to run their best at the same time and look out when that happens...

Hill is doing fine, the only one over thinking is this message board. The man has "less production" due to multiple factors. Andy having receivers to throw to and Gio being in the game. I should also keep my mouth shut about Gresham being a way better blocker than Eifert. But Eifert game is better complimenting Gio as he creates more room for his style of play. All just my amateur message board opinion of course :)
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 03:46 PM)CoCoNuT Wrote: Hill is doing fine, the only one over thinking is this message board. The man has "less production" due to multiple factors. Andy having receivers to throw to and Gio being in the game. I should also keep my mouth shut about Gresham being a way better blocker than Eifert. But Eifert game is better complimenting Gio as he creates more room for his style of play. All just my amateur message board opinion of course :)

Well that is your opinion but from what i have been seeing Hill has been too patient this year and
needs to hit the hole with more authority. That is just my opinion :)
Reply/Quote
Hill is still used to having a fullback in front of him, and when he's the lone back that's where he struggles.
Reply/Quote
Hill just isn't hitting any long runs this year. All those big gains were why he averaged 5.1 YPC last year. This year it feels like he's never getting anything over 10 yards, let alone those 50-60 yarders he used to break off fairly regularly. I have no idea what the problem is (none of us do), but Hill proved he's talented last year. His talent didn't just disappear.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 04:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hill just isn't hitting any long runs this year. All those big gains were why he averaged 5.1 YPC last year. This year it feels like he's never getting anything over 10 yards, let alone those 50-60 yarders he used to break off fairly regularly. I have no idea what the problem is (none of us do), but Hill proved he's talented last year. His talent didn't just disappear.

i feel likes its because hes looking for those big gains instead of just plowing forward make a guy miss or run over him than run down the open field like last year. it just seems like hes thinking to much right now and not hitting the hole and going.

(11-12-2015, 04:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Hill is still used to having a fullback in front of him, and when he's the lone back that's where he struggles.

i dont know where to look up the numbers but it seems hewitt is in a lot with hill... and gio gets more of the one back looks. but ill say now i havent been keeping tallies or anything like that so its just from memory of things i saw.
Reply/Quote
I can't fault Marvin for not divulging too many details on what we're working on. As much as we fans want to know everything, the element of surprise, no matter how little, could possibly mean the difference in a game. I'm okay with critiquing what everybody sees, but let's leave the minute details private with the coaches.

I'm with Fred on wanting to see our running game improve though. Imagine it being equal to our passing!
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 02:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: yeah gonna need that run game in the coming months to help wind out the clock

That's been my concern. It's going to start getting cold and we've got some big games where it's (probably) going to be very cold. If we can't move it running when we want, we might have some significant struggles.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 03:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well that is your opinion but from what i have been seeing Hill has been too patient this year and
needs to hit the hole with more authority. That is just my opinion :)

I was always told you shouldn't rush into things :|     ...unless it's your job or what not.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 04:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i feel likes its because hes looking for those big gains instead of just plowing forward make a guy miss or run over him than run down the open field like last year.  it just seems like hes thinking to much right now and not hitting the hole and going.

i dont know where to look up the numbers but it seems hewitt is in a lot with hill... and gio gets more of the one back looks.  but ill say now i havent been keeping tallies or anything like that so its just from memory of things i saw.

I don't dive into the stats that much either, but I do recall a lot of success with the Hewitt/Hill combination too. Maybe that started attracting more attention than what Hue wants, and he's mixing it up a bit to keep things fresh. Maybe that is taking longer than anticipated. And maybe some of the match-ups we've faced have tempered the results.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 02:43 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I hope we see more dominate play from Jeremy Hill...  My expectations were really HIGH on him after the last season, the end of it anyways...  Someone posted some stats that show him having just as good of a season, but something feels a miss with him... Hope to see him with more power..  just doesn't seem he is having as good of a year..
I think we need to put Andy under center and hand Hill the ball running downhill because that shifty running style that is required from the shotgun just isn't Hill's style and it's stupid not to utilize him to his strength.

We benched him after the two fumbles in the one game, which might seem legit, except one of the fumbles was when he mishandled a pitch and never had it secured, so it wasn't like it was an issue of him not wrapping up protecting the ball.

It seems like a waste of talent and waste of a key part of our offense to bench him for fumbling the pitch.
(11-12-2015, 02:46 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: He averaged over 5 ypc last year and is at 3.3 this year.  It has been debated why, but he is nowhere near where he was last year.
It's how we've been trying to make him run that's been the difference.
(11-12-2015, 03:06 PM)Pezmerga Wrote: Hill seems hesitant to hit holes this year. He is over thinking it or something.

When he gets the ball going downhill, he's still been a pretty hard runner.  It's when we hand him the ball while he's basically flat-footed that he seems to dance around.
Reply/Quote
I'd like them to stubbornly give Hill 3-4 straight drives and 10-15 carries early to see if he can get it going. I think he thrives with consistent work, even if it starts slow. The offense is too dynamic and Gio is too good to commit to this though. So I see why they haven't.
Reply/Quote