Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin told the players to “be careful what they wished for”
(11-14-2018, 02:04 PM)Lucidus Wrote: Players looked rather lost at times in Austin's defense. While I don't think Austin was ever a good fit with our current defensive talent, I also must allocate a fair share of blame on the players themselves, many of whom exacerbated the schematic struggles by routinely missing tackles and dropping potential interceptions.

Back when Austin was hired, many on here were quite skeptical of his merit for the position.  All it really takes is to look at how he did in Detroit.  He took over a star-studded defense in 2014, they had Suh, Fairely, Ziggy Ansah, Kyle Van Noy, and others.  He did well that year, and quickly went downhill there after.  Anyone who was anyone quickly left town via free agency.  Sure, you're always going to lose some guys to free agency, but a mass exodus like they experienced in a few short years points more to players just wanting out of town on the first thing smokin'.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 11:17 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: ...The sad thing is despite the D's short comings, they were keeping us in the game and even winning us games, from the squeeler game on, it turned 180. What happened?

Well, the D was always walking the razor's edge.  I think just a few key injuries, combined with loss of morale after that gut-wrenching defeat, plus Teryl Austin's unwillingness to be aggressive, was all it took to push them over the edge and into the abyss.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 01:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How I take that statement is "Get ready to work your tails off", alluding to the idea that perhaps the players told Marvin that Austin was soft, and than now the defense is going to get a shot of hardcore discipline.  (No, not the bdsm type, either.. Ninja )

We can only hope. 
Reply/Quote
To me marvin was showing his ego off a little how he was talking ,saying hes going to rock their world and other stuff. Hope it works,which i think itll definitely look better, i kind of still feel like this is a storyline right out of wwe, how convenient this happens right before baltimore. And hues story line will be against the browns twice which i bet we split, one revenge game for hue,one revenge game for the browns.

Also one other thing,whst d voordinator goes up in a booth i mean you cant explain to the players what they did wrong or motivate anyone up there or show what they need to do. I remember zimmer on the sideline having them huddled up shouting directions of what to do.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 11:43 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Oh please. Austin was a worthless sack of s*it. Sounds like the players realized this and Marvin, more or less, listened to them. Now Marv is sayin "be careful what you wish for"? Like Austin was some sort of defensive genius?? Get a freakin clue, Marv Whatever

I think it was more of a warning of "Ok you wanted him to leave, now you have to deal with me and I am going to see if you guys were the problem" type thing.

You could tell the D was not mentally prepared before games but at the same time you should still be able to tackle on your own.
Reply/Quote
First practice for our new DC....and first thing the defense did was have a basic tackling drill

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Marvin's words mean nothing. His actions are the only thing that matters.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 03:48 PM)pally Wrote: First practice for our new DC....and first thing the defense did was have a basic tackling drill

Good.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 04:20 PM)treee Wrote: Good.

They sure as hell needed it!  I would have them doing that shit all day long, until they got tired of hearing me harp fundamentals in their ear all day long.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If all he does is improve the tackling and by using schemes they know cuts down on the confusion things will improve.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 10:53 AM)jj22 Wrote: I wondered if the players had turned on Austin (sounds like they might have). This group wasn't used to playing so poorly.

This group also wasn't used to adjustments. And from what I recall reading, Austin was trying to be reactive and the players weren't buying into it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 03:30 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I think it was more of a warning of "Ok you wanted him to leave, now you have to deal with me and I am going to see if you guys were the problem" type thing.

You could tell the D was not mentally prepared before games but at the same time you should still be able to tackle on your own.

IMO some of the players also were a terrible fit for Austin's scheme. His scheme needs fast, twitchy guys whereas the Bengals have typically picked up the bigger, hold-your-ground guys. Austin also needs very instinctual players (especially DBs) who can anticipate plays to try to force turnovers. Do the Bengals really have many of those guys outside of maybe Atkins, Dunlap, and Burfict?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 02:04 PM)Lucidus Wrote: Players looked rather lost at times in Austin's defense. While I don't think Austin was ever a good fit with our current defensive talent, I also must allocate a fair share of blame on the players themselves, many of whom exacerbated the schematic struggles by routinely missing tackles and dropping potential interceptions.

It really was kinda hard to tell which was the bigger culprit because both sides were so bad.  The schemes didn't work and were horribly executed. 

Tackling has to be the first thing fixed. How did these guys forget how to do anything in less than a year?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 06:31 PM)Joelist Wrote: If all he does is improve the tackling and by using schemes they know cuts down on the confusion things will improve.

Good tackling would change so much.  If you're giving up five yards on first down, it's no wonder you can't get off the field on third down.  And if you have them in third and long, playing back to give up the short pass doesn't work if you can't come up and take the guy down.  Which game was it with third and forever and a three yard pass turned into a twenty yard gain?  Actually, it probably happened more than once.  But that one...I don't come screaming up out of the chair much any more, but I did on that one.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 11:43 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Oh please. Austin was a worthless sack of s*it. Sounds like the players realized this and Marvin, more or less, listened to them. Now Marv is sayin "be careful what you wish for"? Like Austin was some sort of defensive genius?? Get a freakin clue, Marv Whatever

I think he's more saying you guys wanted him gone and now I'm going to crack the whip on you all and install discipline and demand excellence.

I'm not at all convinced after 15 years Marvin is going to do anything, sorry.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 07:29 PM)McC Wrote: Good tackling would change so much.  If you're giving up five yards on first down, it's no wonder you can't get off the field on third down.  And if you have them in third and long, playing back to give up the short pass doesn't work if you can't come up and take the guy down.  Which game was it with third and forever and a three yard pass turned into a twenty yard game?  Actually, if probably happened more than once.  But that one...I don't come screaming up out of the chair much any more, but I did on that one.

They are at or near the top of the league in giving up 3rd and long. They've gave up a ton of 3rd and 10+, super long.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 06:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: IMO some of the players also were a terrible fit for Austin's scheme. His scheme needs fast, twitchy guys whereas the Bengals have typically picked up the bigger, hold-your-ground guys. Austin also needs very instinctual players (especially DBs) who can anticipate plays to try to force turnovers. Do the Bengals really have many of those guys outside of maybe Atkins, Dunlap, and Burfict?

I would add Jackson, Williams,  Dennard,  Lawson (when healthy) and Bates to that list of playmakers. The biggest problem Austin had was A.) Losing 4 starters for multiple games and B.) Having to play the 4 best offenses in the NFL in a row. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Austin deserves most of the blame but the tackling has been atrocious. That is completely on the players.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 06:31 PM)Joelist Wrote: If all he does is improve the tackling and by using schemes they know cuts down on the confusion things will improve.

You betcha, things will improve.  Taking things back to basic fundamentals, executing schemes that they can run blindfolded, putting the fun back into playing the game.  Things like that can boost discouraged players' confidence more than many realize.  Sometimes "great" football minds can come up with the most elaborate of schemes and game plans, only to have made the game way too cerebral for players to have confidence in knowing what they're doing out there.

A perfect example is the number of times that we had CBs and Safeties looking at each other, wondering who was supposed to be responsible for the catch that was just made, while playing in Austin's Zone Coverage.  Virtually all of our players in the secondary come from a man coverage background.  Just let them do what they know how to do, you'll get the most out of them that way.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 10:53 AM)jj22 Wrote: I wondered if the players had turned on Austin (sounds like they might have). This group wasn't used to playing so poorly.

Yeah it definitely sounds like it after reading stuff like this. I'm glad we got rid of him. I think Marvin is going to help them play better. Simple addition by subtraction should help.
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/13/teryl-austin-lost-bengals-defense-steelers-game/
Reply/Quote