Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin told the players to “be careful what they wished for”
(11-14-2018, 08:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: His other telling quote was "first, you change the coaches, then you change the players". I think he just put them on notice...,.

The head coach is still a coach. Can we start from there?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
He should tell them that they play on defense and not offense and if you’re not serious about tackling then you’re not too serious about getting playtime.
Reply/Quote
I get the impression that Lewis understands that many of his players feel as though their HC is not, and will never be, a super bowl caliber HC. He may be telling them that if he goes, so goes their job security. 
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 07:36 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: The biggest problem Austin had was A.) Losing 4 starters for multiple games and B.) Having to play the 4 best offenses in the NFL in a row. 

That's true...
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 08:40 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Yeah it definitely sounds like it after reading stuff like this. I'm glad we got rid of him. I think Marvin is going to help them play better. Simple addition by subtraction should help.
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/13/teryl-austin-lost-bengals-defense-steelers-game/

How has he not gotten himself involved in fixing this problem before now?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 09:49 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: How has he not gotten himself involved in fixing this problem before now?

Exactly !

You walk by your pool and there's a pin hole leak hitting you in the chest, you shrug your shoulders and go on. The next day it's twice the size, ignore it. A day later it's the size of your finger, you go on. The following day the size of your wrist, oh well. The whole side comes out of the pool, shocker huh !

Now you thump your chest and talk about how you're gonna fix it ?
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 09:49 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: How has he not gotten himself involved in fixing this problem before now?

After the TB game, apparently he figured, one more 500 yard game and I might have to do something.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 10:45 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly !

You walk by your pool and there's a pin hole leak hitting you in the chest, you shrug your shoulders and go on. The next day it's twice the size, ignore it. A day later it's the size of your finger, you go on. The following day the size of your wrist, oh well. The whole side comes out of the pool, shocker huh !

Now you thump your chest and talk about how you're gonna fix it ?

There's two scenarios I can think of to why it wasn't fixed:

Players didn't respect Austin
Marv is a poor leader

It's probably one of those two. If the players didn't respect Austin, they're not going to play as hard for him. If the players respected him and it was more of a communication/scheme/personal utilization, it's Marv being a poor leader and not stepping in and helping Austin fix it. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 01:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How I take that statement is "Get ready to work your tails off", alluding to the idea that perhaps the players told Marvin that Austin was soft, and than now the defense is going to get a shot of hardcore discipline.  (No, not the bdsm type, either.. Ninja )

This is how I take the comment as well. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 03:04 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Also one other thing,whst d voordinator goes up in a booth i mean you cant explain to the players what they did wrong or motivate anyone up there or show what they need to do. I remember zimmer on the sideline having them huddled up shouting directions of what to do.

This is exactly what I was thinking.
Why the hell was he in the booth when we are playing so bad, get down on the sideline and kick arse. If you can't tackle, sit your arse on the bench and I will put someone in that can.
Looking at Austin during the Saint's game, he looked like he knew the writing was on the wall.

Another thing I feel is that Marvin should have made the change straight after the Bucs game. We were never realistically going to beat the Saints so Marvin would then have had an extra 2 weeks to work with the Defence preparing for the Ravens.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 12:37 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: This is exactly what I was thinking.
Why the hell was he in the booth when we are playing so bad, get down on the sideline and kick arse. If you can't tackle, sit your arse on the bench and I will put someone in that can.
Looking at Austin during the Saint's game, he looked like he knew the writing was on the wall.

Another thing I feel is that Marvin should have made the change straight after the Bucs game. We were never realistically going to beat the Saints so Marvin would then have had an extra 2 weeks to work with the Defence preparing for the Ravens.

Exactly, this should have been nipped in the bud way before it was. It's not like we had a one bad game anomaly. Marvin should have known and acted way before he did. This wasn't a problem that was just gonna fix itself.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 12:37 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: This is exactly what I was thinking.

That team plays much differently outside of that dome; you don't tank a game.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 11:28 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: There's two scenarios I can think of to why it wasn't fixed:

Players didn't respect Austin
Marv is a poor leader

It's probably one of those two. If the players didn't respect Austin, they're not going to play as hard for him. If the players respected him and it was more of a communication/scheme/personal utilization, it's Marv being a poor leader and not stepping in and helping Austin fix it. 

Or it is both
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 12:59 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That team plays much differently outside of that dome; you don't tank a game.

I never mentioned tanking the game but is there anyone on here honestly going to say that after the Bucs game they thought we were going to beat the Saint?
You mention that they play much different outside the Dome, they have beat The Falcons, Giants, Ravens, Vikings before they played us all outside the dome Scoring 131 and conceding 98
In the 3 games before the bye we conceded 107 point scoring 68, Realistically we were never going to win with the way we were playing.
In my opinion the change should have been made after the Bucs so the defence had 3 weeks to get its confidence back a bit.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 01:21 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: I never mentioned tanking the game but is there anyone on here honestly going to say that after the Bucs game they thought we were going to beat the Saint?
You mention that they play much different outside the Dome, they have beat The Falcons, Giants, Ravens, Vikings before they played us all outside the dome Scoring 131 and conceding 98
In the 3 games before the bye we conceded 107 point scoring 68, Realistically we were never going to win with the way we were playing.
In my opinion the change should have been made after the Bucs so the defence had 3 weeks to get its confidence back a bit.

I don't disagree about WHEN it should've been done, just the part about overlooking the Saints.

You do realise that Atlanta and Minnesota play in domes, right? That makes 3 games (including us), out of 9, played in a dome.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 07:43 AM)Trademark Wrote: Marvin Lewis has publicly offered a warning of sorts for his players after the Cincinnati Bengals fired defensive coordinator Teryl Austin.

He kept it short and sweet in an exchange with reporters captured by the team’s official website: “Maybe this is what the players wanted. Asked how his players received the news, Lewis said, ‘Be careful what you wish for.'”

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/13/marvin-lewis-bengals-teryl-austins-firing-careful-what-you-wish-for/

We will see, i am liking the change so far and know the Defense will improve under Marv just wondering how much?
Reply/Quote
Marvin has been all talk for years..we see better than we hear
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote