Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvins Defense in Baltimore
What do you guys know about that teams defense? I tried to do my research and i watched a video on youtube about that years team. I cant believe how old the video seemed . And its really weird watching them with big shoulder pads.

Marvin on the little bits seemed to talk as simple as he does now adays haha. The defense really didnt look all that star dominant to me. Rey Lewis looked like the main guy on the defense. They had a aging rod woodson. Tony saragusa the big fat man in the middle. And another guy i forget his name but thats all i know. Like how was that one of the best of all time i dont get it.

As for offense,a rookie jamal lewis was a beast. Rocket ismael? Was their go to receiver, and shannon sharpe? That was about it. Like what did marvin do that was so special about the way he called the defense? Their main competition was the titans with mcnair. That year they also killed us and cleveland. All we had was dillon.
Reply/Quote
I’m just going to fill in what you missed about that 2000 defense.

- 2 elite pass rushers, McCrary and Boulware
- 2 elite run stopping DT’s, Siragusa and the guy that was actually better than him, Sam Adams
- Lewis, Boulware and Sharper were all pro-bowl caliber linebackers
- Shutdown corner in Chris McCallister
- Woodson was a run down old CB, but with the Ravens he became a pro-bowl safety

So, picture a defense that has a future “hofer” and all time record holder for turnovers, roaming center field. A shutdown corner taking away your top WR or half the field. All three starting linebackers are pro bowlers and a one is a future “hofer”. Three guys (McCrary, Burnett and Boulware) capable of double digit sacks. Lastly, you have two guys weighing 400lbs each, that take four to six men to move. Wouldn’t you kill for a Bengals defense like that, right about now?
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 11:38 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: What do you guys know about that teams defense? I tried to do my research and i watched a video on youtube about that years team. I cant believe how old the video seemed . And its really weird watching them with big shoulder pads.

Marvin on the little bits seemed to talk as simple as he does now adays haha. The defense really didnt look all that star dominant to me. Rey Lewis looked like the main guy on the defense. They had a aging rod woodson. Tony saragusa the big fat man in the middle. And another guy i forget his name but thats all i know. Like how was that one of the best of all time i dont get it.

As for offense,a rookie jamal lewis was a beast. Rocket ismael? Was their go to receiver, and shannon sharpe? That was about it. Like what did marvin do that was so special about the way he called the defense? Their main competition was the titans with mcnair. That year they also killed us and cleveland. All we had was dillon.

LMAO

That defense had 4 shutouts during the regular season.
They held opposing teams to 14 or less points in 12 of 17 regular season games.
They didn't allow more than 10 points in any of their playoff games and made the Giants look putrid in the SuperBowl.

They were incredible!
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 11:52 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’m just going to fill in what you missed about that 2000 defense.

- 2 elite run stopping DT’s, Siragusa and the guy that was actually better than him, Sam Adams
- Woodson was a run down CB, but with the Ravens he became a pro-bowl safety

Yes - The defense was absolutely loaded. For someone to look at it and say it wasn't start dominated...is not reality.

They played a 3-4 too...so Adams and Siragusa's jobs were to take up space to keep lineman off of the LB's.

McCrary was a sack machine. He had 14.5 sacks one season...as a DE in a 3-4. That doesn't happen much. In 75 games with the Ravens he had 51 sacks.
Reply/Quote
You absolutely could not run on them. No receiver wanted to catch a pass over the middle. Your QB had no time to throw. Forget going down the filed.

Seems like I remember the Bengals not scoring an offensive TD in either game one of those years.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 11:38 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: What do you guys know about that teams defense? I tried to do my research and i watched a video on youtube about that years team. I cant believe how old the video seemed . And its really weird watching them with big shoulder pads.

10 first rounders. Got McRary? From Seattle that year.

Had run stoppers in the middle, speed and power at second line, and playmakers in the secondary.

Coupled with Jamal Lewis, and the kid from Florida as first round picks, Sharpe as TE, and got Dilfer and the QB from Rams the same year.

They were loaded.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
it was a great defense for that ERA.
the Ravens defense was designed to stop the run 1st foremost.
Boulware Sharper Lewis were great at stuffing rbs in the hole.
Siragusa and Adams would tie up blockers allowing those LBers to
get downhill pursue unblocked.
McAliester would be in single man coverage press on 3rd and long and he was great vs the run too.
Lewis had great talent to work with.
great talent makes average coaches look great.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:09 AM)XsandOs Wrote: 10 first rounders. Got McRary? From Seattle that year.

Had run stoppers in the middle, speed and power at second line, and playmakers in the secondary.

Coupled with Jamal Lewis, and the kid from Florida as first round picks, Sharpe as TE, and got Dilfer and the QB from Rams the same year.

They were loaded.

Geno Atkins and maybe Dunlap are the only Bengals that could start on that team. And I'm not even sure that Dunlap starts.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 11:52 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’m just going to fill in what you missed about that 2000 defense.

- Woodson was a run down CB, but with the Ravens he became a pro-bowl safety

So, picture a defense that has a future “hofer” and all time record holder for turnovers, roaming center field. A shutdown corner taking away your top WR or half the field. All three starting linebackers are pro bowlers and a one is a future “hofer”. Three guys (McCrary, Burnett and Boulware) capable of double digit sacks. Lastly, you have two guys weighing 400lbs each, that take four to six men to move. Wouldn’t you kill for a Bengals defense like that, right about now?

Ok makes more sense,thanks. So whats so good about marvin as a DC ,his fundamentals?
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:11 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Ok makes more sense,thanks. So whats so good about marvin as a DC ,his fundamentals?

Imo, what made him good was his aggression.  He never stopped coming at you.  Yes, he had the talent to do that, but he also had the will to do it too.  He wanted to destroy you.  That, to me, was his calling card as a DC.  I ddn't even want to watch the Bengals play that defense.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:14 AM)McC Wrote: Imo, what made him good was his aggression.  He never stopped coming at you.  Yes, he had the talent to do that, but he also had the will to do it too.  He wanted to destroy you.  That, to me, was his calling card as a DC.  I ddn't even want to watch the Bengals play that defense.

Hopefully he brings some aggression to the playcalling then ,and hopefully tez can play better. We need a stud linebacker. 
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:16 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Hopefully he brings some aggression to the playcalling then ,and hopefully tez can play better. We need a stud linebacker. 

I hope so too.

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:05 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - The defense was absolutely loaded. For someone to look at it and say it wasn't start dominated...is not reality.

They played a 3-4 too...so Adams and Siragusa's jobs were to take up space to keep lineman off of the LB's.

McCrary was a sack machine. He had 14.5 sacks one season...as a DE in a 3-4. That doesn't happen much. In 75 games with the Ravens he had 51 sacks.

They were never a 3-4, always a 4-3; McCrary played 3-4 DE for all of half a season, then retired.

There's a reason why he's my favourite DE ever, after Dunlap.

I posted about it in the other thread. Their alignment was as follows (left to right):

Burnett-Siragusa-Adams-McCrary
Boulware-Lewis-Sharper
Starks-Woodson-Herring-McCalister

Duane Starks and Kim Herring were super underrated too; they weren't world beaters like the Woodsons, but they were like a Leon Hall and George Iloka, in terms of production, respectively.

As depth, you had:

- Cornell Brown (jack of all trades LB who is Vinny Rey on Steroids {not literally, of course} and from a better bloodline)
- Corey Harris (great 3rd S, who also was a fairly good returner; not needed of course, with Jermaine Lewis and Woodson on the team)
- James Trapp (active corner, with plenty of starting experience, prior to joining the Ravens)
- Keith Washington (great run-stuffing DE)
- Adalius Thomas (who didn't see the field much, but you know what he can do)

So aside from great/stud players as your starters, you have 5 depth players that could probably (and did) start on other teams.

Legendary defense.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:11 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Ok makes more sense,thanks. So whats so good about marvin as a DC ,his fundamentals?

Once again he was the coordinator with the best middle linebacker of all time n a team that was flat out loaded on defense. Scary good. They ran a 4 -3 defense. Those two in the middle were immovable. Then you have McCray. N Burnette at ends coming from the edge. Strong side backer would blitz a lot. Man that team was scary. Marvin gets way to much credit. Don’t forget ray Lewis made about 4 more head coaches from the d coordinator spot.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:25 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Once again he was the coordinator with the best middle linebacker of all time n a team that was flat out loaded on defense.   Scary good.  They ran a 4 -3 defense.  Those two in the middle were immovable.  Then you have McCray. N Burnette at ends coming from the edge.   Strong side backer would blitz a lot.  Man that team was scary.   Marvin gets way to much credit. Don’t forget ray Lewis made about 4 more head coaches from the d coordinator spot.

No denying all the talent.  But the way he coached it was a big part of it too.    He never stopped attacking, which is not the way he has been as a HC at all, which is kinda weird.

Reply/Quote
Their aces in the hole were Adams, Siragusa, Lewis and Woodson. Their base defense could shut down the run or pass. It's really that simple.

They made a mockery of Denver's offense.

The only analogy I can make is the Bearcats defense against New Mexico State in the first half of their elite 8 run in '93.

Just suffocating.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:14 AM)McC Wrote: Imo, what made him good was his aggression.  He never stopped coming at you.  Yes, he had the talent to do that, but he also had the will to do it too.  He wanted to destroy you.  That, to me, was his calling card as a DC.  I ddn't even want to watch the Bengals play that defense.

This.

In all of these posts about Marvin Lewis’ defense in Baltimore this one hits home. There was no passive play, ever, and giving wide receivers “cushion” wasn’t part of the scheme. The 2000 Ravens had in my opinion a better defense than the 1985 Bears. I’m sure Marvin saw a bit of himself in Mike Zimmer because the Z-Fense had aggressive, destructive qualities too. If I were the Ravens I would be on edge this week. There’s a new defensive sheriff in town.
Reply/Quote
In simple terms they were aggressive and when they arrived at the ball they arrived violently. You could just see teams just have no confidence that anything was going to work against that Ravens D. I think the hallmark of that defense is that they were all big guys who could move and they didn't have to think too much. One of the smallest ones of the whole bunch was Ray Lewis and I don't have to tell you a thing about him.

Last note about them. When they had an opportunity for a big play they didn't miss it often. If they could get a sack they didn't "whiff on it" If they could get their hands on a pass, they often intercepted it or knocked it down. They were scarily efficient in what they did and they always dictated the tempo and nature of the game.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 09:07 AM)Air Force 1 Wrote: In simple terms they were aggressive and when they arrived at the ball they arrived violently. You could just see teams just have no confidence that anything was going to work against that Ravens D. I think the hallmark of that defense is that they were all big guys who could move and they didn't have to think too much. One of the smallest ones of the whole bunch was Ray Lewis and I don't have to tell you a thing about him.

Last note about them. When they had an opportunity for a big play they didn't miss it often. If they could get a sack they didn't "whiff on it" If they could get their hands on a pass, they often intercepted it or knocked it down. They were scarily efficient in what they did and they always dictated the tempo and nature of the game.

I can't post it because I'm at work, byut just search up, "2000 Ravens Defense," on YouTube and the Superbowl will be the first thing to pop up. Its 12 minutes of viewing, but it indeed shows the constant attacking.

In that video though, in regard to the bolded, McCrary , Adams and Boulware whiffed a couple of times each, on near sacks; its the nature of the game, when you're 100 mph and then you need to cut or stop to grab a QB; you'll whiff half the time.

Its why its easier to tackle a guy that's moving, if you're moving as well.

Another interesting note, is that their nickel D (which was literally only played on 3rd downs, back in the day), had only 3 lineman rush; McCrary, Adams and someone else, while the 3 LBs stayed on the field and the extra DB.

Judging from that SB, it wasn't very effective from a pass rush POV (don't even think they got a pressure in that whole clip, in their nickel D, but may be wrong), but those LBs were just so good in coverage, it didn't matter.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
It really helped Lewis that he had the horses to pull the wagon  . Now he'll have 2 horses and 9 minurature poodles out there pulling the same wagon. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote