Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matching up against the North
Football is finally here two teams have started training camp and one actually happens to be part of the AFC North. I thought we could use a discussion thread about the other AFC North Teams and how the Bengals matchup against them. Since the Ravens are already in Camp I figured we could start there...

The defense is scary good. Theyhave a deep back end with Jimmy Smith (Injury news?) Brandon Carr, Marlon Humphrey, Tavon Young at corner and Eric Weedle, Tony Jefferson, and Rookie DeShon Elliott at Safety. To go along with Terrell Suggs and Za'Darius Smith they have two young pass rushers from the 2017 draft that didnt get many snaps last season in Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser. Along the defensive line they have guys like Brandon Williams, Michael Pierce, Carl Davis, Brent Urban, and Bronson Kaufusi. The Ravens biggest defensive question mark would probably be the other ILB spot next to one of the NFL best CJ Mosley.

To say the least they have a stacked defense that played at a high level in 2017. The Ravens biggest issue was the passing game on offense.

I know how most people feel about Joe Flacco and I agree I dont believe hes one of the NFL best but he is a solid vet that can beat you with a team around him. The Ravens did a good job of bringing in some key pieces to go along with a very good run game they had in 2017. Their Front office saw the need for pass catchers and brought in Michael Crabtree, John Brown, and Willie Snead and also drafted two tight ends early Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews. At running back they had a couple guys quietly breakout as a tandem in Alex Collins and Buck Allen. Collins is the definition of a power back he is really fun to watch while Allen catches passes out of the backfield. Id say the biggest offensive question mark for the Ravens is replacing Ryan Jensen at Center the spot will probably go to Matt Skura or possibly Rookie Bradley Bozeman.

I believe the Ravens will be a very difficult team to win against in 2018 because they have very few weak areas. The Bengals will need to score early and often to take the ball out of Alex Collins hands and make Joe Flacco beat them.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2018, 02:48 PM)Synric Wrote: Football is finally here two teams have started training camp and one actually happens to be part of the AFC North. I thought we could use a discussion thread about the other AFC North Teams and how the Bengals matchup against them. Since the Ravens are already in Camp I figured we could start there...

The defense is scary good. Theyhave a deep back end with Jimmy Smith (Injury news?) Brandon Carr, Marlon Humphrey, Tavon Young at corner and Eric Weedle, Tony Jefferson, and Rookie DeShon Elliott at Safety. To go along with Terrell Suggs and Za'Darius Smith they have two young pass rushers from the 2017 draft that didnt get many snaps last season in Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser. Along the defensive line they have guys like Brandon Williams, Michael Pierce, Carl Davis, Brent Urban, and Bronson Kaufusi. The Ravens biggest defensive question mark would probably be the other ILB spot next to one of the NFL best CJ Mosley.

To say the least they have a stacked defense that played at a high level in 2017. The Ravens biggest issue was the passing game on offense.

I know how most people feel about Joe Flacco and I agree I dont believe hes one of the NFL best but he is a solid vet that can beat you with a team around him. The Ravens did a good job of bringing in some key pieces to go along with a very good run game they had in 2017. Their Front office saw the need for pass catchers and brought in Michael Crabtree, John Brown, and Willie Snead and also drafted two tight ends early Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews. At running back they had a couple guys quietly breakout as a tandem in Alex Collins and Buck Allen. Collins is the definition of a power back he is really fun to watch while Allen catches passes out of the backfield. Id say the biggest offensive question mark for the Ravens is replacing Ryan Jensen at Center the spot will probably go to Matt Skura or possibly Rookie Bradley Bozeman.

I believe the Ravens will be a very difficult team to win against in 2018 because they have very few weak areas. The Bengals will need to score early and often to take the ball out of Alex Collins hands and make Joe Flacco beat them.
the one area where I see us as much better over the rat-birds is the QB position....
imo, Flacco is old & tired....
Dalton is in his prime....
so the Bengals should sweep them this year.....
as long as our O-line plays above average...
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2018, 02:48 PM)Synric Wrote: Football is finally here two teams have started training camp and one actually happens to be part of the AFC North. I thought we could use a discussion thread about the other AFC North Teams and how the Bengals matchup against them. Since the Ravens are already in Camp I figured we could start there...

Ravens defense is solid, but offense is bottom 3rd in league, but great kicker in Tucker. On defense, I loved to watch Dalton and Boyd burn the great Eric Weddle. Weddle is now 32 or 33 I believe ad may be losing a step which is not good for a safety needing to cover a lot of ground. Here's to Ross blowing by him in 2018.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
For the Bengals to match up favorably versus the Ravens, it's as simple as blocking.

Yep, if they can move a man in the running game, and slow a man in the passing game, the Bengals should own them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2018, 03:30 PM)Steve Wrote: the one area where I see us as much better over the rat-birds is the QB position....
imo, Flacco is old & tired....
Dalton is in his prime....
so the Bengals should sweep them this year.....
as long as our O-line plays above average...

They drafted Lamar Jackson, he could be good there.  Bengals tend to have difficulties against running QBs.  Maybe not this year, but next year, the Ravens may go with Jackson.  

To the OP, I think all four teams will have devastating defenses.  I think Big Ben has a little left but not much and Bell doesn't seem happy without new contract.  

I think it will come down to the offenses.  It will come down to how the Bengals' new offensive line plays.  I think Preston Brown at backer will help on defense.  My only concern for the Bengals at this point is the O-line.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
From the camp reports out of Baltimore, Flacco is finally 100% healthy and is moving around very well. The question is, will he stay that way for 16 games? He holds on to the ball too long and takes a lot of hits.

Lamar Jackson will be fun to watch, but won't be ready to run and NFL offense right away. They did get quite a few additions to help boost their offensive firepower, as guys like Perriman were huge busts.

I see Baltimore as a tough #2 battle in the division with the steelers the favorites.

It could be another season where all three make the playoffs, or only one with a 10-6 record. Either way, I think the Browns are poised for a couple wins in the division this year, but not quite ready for Prime Time.

If only Burfict were here at the start, I would be more confident.
Reply/Quote
Terrell Suggs likes to pour bleach on his family.  The Ravens have known about his instability and shittyness as a human being for years.  The Bengals owe it to humanity to keep the Ravens irrelevant.
Reply/Quote
There are already rumblings in Baltimore to play Jackson, and I think this pressure will get to Flacco. He's trying to become relevant again, and having Jackson pushing him, which for some QB's would be a good thing, will just hamper him....(IMO). While some may say Lamar is not ready, I think he probably is, and I'm pretty sure we are going to struggle to contain him. He's slipperier than most any QB the Bengals have played, and they don't do all that well with it in the first place.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 06:59 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Bell doesn't seem happy without new contract.  

People keep bringing this up, like he will just go through the motions because he is unhappy with his deal. I'm quite sure his agent has told him the only way to get the deal he wants next year is to light it up this year and prove he is still all he thinks he is. I expect to see Bell running hard.....
Reply/Quote

I almost forgot that they didn't re-sign him.  He got a 4 year, $42 million dollar deal from Tampa....hardly what I would call breaking the bank for a top rated (at least I thought he was) center.  That is a big hole to fill. 

For whatever reason, the Ravens have been the so-called "easier of the two" when it came to games vs. pitt and Baltimore.  The one thing I like about Baltimore improving is they always seem to give pitt a good game.  I hope they beat pitt twice.  Those are the only two times I am a ratbird fan.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 08:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: People keep bringing this up, like he will just go through the motions because he is unhappy with his deal. I'm quite sure his agent has told him the only way to get the deal he wants next year is to light it up this year and prove he is still all he thinks he is. I expect to see Bell running hard.....

Agreed.  He made his own bed (suspensions, injuries) and although I completely understand how much he means to that team, I can't believe he didn't sign the deal he was offered a year ago.  Reminds me a lot of Mike Wallace.  A total game-changer in pitt, they offered him something like $10 million a year, he turned it down, and has done very little since at Miami, Minnesota, and (I think) Baltimore.  

Granted, Bell is more important for what they do than Wallace was, but that deep threat of Wallace really made that rushing attack work...something I hope we are able to duplicate here in Cincy with Ross and our RBs.  I just think if the steelers look at how they did when they had Bell's backup (forget his name...the guy from Carolina) and how he performed, then they realize that although it might not exactly be a "plug and play" position they have a great system that is something most any RB would love to be a part of.  
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 08:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:   I just think if the steelers look at how they did when they had Bell's backup (forget his name...the guy from Carolina) and how he performed, then they realize that although it might not exactly be a "plug and play" position they have a great system that is something most any RB would love to be a part of.  

Agreed. DeAngelo Williams ran great in that system...
Reply/Quote
Word right now is that Lamar is still #2 but they are finding ways to have both QB's on field at once.

Lamar has been lining up at slot and taking handoffs and pitches and giving him option of running or passing.

Defenses will have to adjust.

Do think the Bengals match up well with all teams in the division and believe AFCN is going to be very solid from top to bottom.

We have best team I believe, yet have a ton of work cutout for us to win it.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 08:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: People keep bringing this up, like he will just go through the motions because he is unhappy with his deal. I'm quite sure his agent has told him the only way to get the deal he wants next year is to light it up this year and prove he is still all he thinks he is. I expect to see Bell running hard.....

See it this way as well. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Agreed. While I'm not a fan of his ego and personality I don't think he could let himself be anything than the best.

Edit: Ill get a similar roster write up for the Browns after I finish my paperwork today.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Your right. Bell will be playing for next year. Dude is not going to slack up even a little. 

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 08:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: There are already rumblings in Baltimore to play Jackson, and I think this pressure will get to Flacco. He's trying to become relevant again, and having Jackson pushing him, which for some QB's would be a good thing, will just hamper him....(IMO). While some may say Lamar is not ready, I think he probably is, and I'm pretty sure we are going to struggle to contain him. He's slipperier than most any QB the Bengals have played, and they don't do all that well with it in the first place.

RG3 was the best thing since sliced bread up until meeting the Bengals. We do ok with mobile QBs

I don’t think Lamar Jackson will be any better than deshaun Watson, who we held in check for 99% of the game except 1 big QB scramble.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 11:48 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: RG3 was the best thing since sliced bread up until meeting the Bengals. We do ok with mobile QBs

I don’t think Lamar Jackson will be any better than deshaun Watson, who we held in check for 99% of the game except 1 big QB scramble.

Lamar is twice as elusive than either RG3 or Watson, but they both are more accurate passers. 

Different style QB's. 

Yet agree Bengals should be formidable as well.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Yes, as always the Ravens have a good Defense, but Linebacker is now a question for them as you say outside of
Mosley. Brandon Williams is a very underrated DT in my opinion. We all know they have good pass rushers. I thought
they had Judon? Anyways i think their weakness is quite obvious which is why we need to extend Geno to terrorize
that interior. We switched, they had the stud Center we had the dud.

Now we have Billy Price. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 01:26 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Lamar is twice as elusive than either RG3 or Watson, but they both are more accurate passers. 

Different style QB's. 

Yet agree Bengals should be formidable as well.  

Right, I have watched Lamar a lot, and he is hands down the slipperiest QB I have ever seen play the game. Just when you think you have him 5 yds. deep in the backfield, he gains 20 yds.
Reply/Quote