Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe some DT depth on the way
You guys have mentioned the names and the scenario pretty much. Easley is a guy you take a flyer on for possible depth and nothing to hang a plan on. Even if he looks explosive today, who knows if he holds up but a cheap body to battle for a roster spot is fine. From the looks of things, they may not carry an edge rusher type at all. If they liked the flashes of Hardison at DE in preseason and see improvement, he may get actual reps at that position as a backups.
Reply/Quote
We can think twice about keeping 3 run stuffers with Thompson able to come back mid season. If he can fill the Gilberry role for a no risk contract, shouldn't hurt. Health and character a question, but shouldn't be no guarantee he makes the roster if they sign him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 10:14 PM)Joelist Wrote: The only way I see Easley making the squad is as a reserve DE.

DT is set with Peko, Atkins, Sims and Billings. DE has an opening as Dunlap and MJ are locks, and you figure Clarke probably is in. Easley can be the rotation with MJ. That leaves Hardison and Hunt out, but right now we have too many D linemen so someone is getting cut.

I don't see Sims being a lock like you think. Someone would be getting cut, that's the breaks. I see us keeping 9 d-lineman. Maybe it is just Hunt, Sims, Thompson or maybe all of them and we bring Williams up. Whatever puts us in the best position is fine with me.

Nine kept
MJ
Dunlap
Clarke
Easley
Hardison
Peko
Atkins
Billings
Williams

I would not be mad about this lineup.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 10:35 PM)phil413 Wrote: You guys have mentioned the names and the scenario pretty much. Easley is a guy you take a flyer on for possible depth and nothing to hang a plan on. Even if he looks explosive today, who knows if he holds up but a cheap body to battle for a roster spot is fine. From the looks of things, they may not carry an edge rusher type at all. If they liked the flashes of Hardison at DE in preseason and see improvement, he may get actual reps at that position as a backups.

Exactly. We always want the most competition there could be. If they can upgrade your team great. If not then you move on.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 10:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: We can think twice about keeping 3 run stuffers with Thompson able to come back mid season. If he can fill the Gilberry role for a no risk contract, shouldn't hurt. Health and character a question, but shouldn't be no guarantee he makes the roster if they sign him.

Absolutely. They have the run stoppers. Even MJ would be considered more of a run support DE to me. We are usually good at run stopping. Let's get some more penetration in the middle now.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 08:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Easley couldn't stay healthy in college and he hasn't stayed healthy in the pros. I'd rather roll with what we have.

Bingo. Wayyyy too big of an injury risk. If we were desperate for DT depth i wouldnt mind a flyer. But we arent. We have some tough decisions to make already. I would say injury risk is the reason he isnt on a roster.
Reply/Quote
If it's for the gilberry role then yes,I didn't know he played DE in college too,I think that's why they'd be interested. But can he stay healthy is the key.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 11:46 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Bingo. Wayyyy too big of an injury risk. If we were desperate for DT depth i wouldnt mind a flyer. But we arent. We have some tough decisions to make already. I would say injury risk is the reason he isnt on a roster.

Same here. Plus he was rumored to have been a headache in the locker room. I know he has talent, but we seem to have a good mix of talent at DT right now. I trust our FO to make the right call on this, but I'm pulling for Williams (final 53) and even Dean (PS) to back up Geno, Peko, and Billings. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 12:05 AM)Shady Wrote: Same here. Plus he was rumored to have been a headache in the locker room. I know he has talent, but we seem to have a good mix of talent at DT right now. I trust our FO to make the right call on this, but I'm pulling for Williams (final 53) and even Dean (PS) to back up Geno, Peko, and Billings. 

But can any of them play end too like gilberry did,i don't think so except Hardison. If easly can,then he's definitely worth bringing in to camp.remember he is a 1st rounder,and just looking him up on YouTube, somebody said he would of been top ten if not for injury,that's his whole problem pretty much is getting injured,maybe he'd be better off just coming in on third downs, might be good for him.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 08:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Easley couldn't stay healthy in college and he hasn't stayed healthy in the pros. I'd rather roll with what we have.

Then you sign him for camp and the preseason and he takes the injury that would have hit someone else.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 10:14 PM)Joelist Wrote: The only way I see Easley making the squad is as a reserve DE.

DT is set with Peko, Atkins, Sims and Billings. DE has an opening as Dunlap and MJ are locks, and you figure Clarke probably is in. Easley can be the rotation with MJ. That leaves Hardison and Hunt out, but right now we have too many D linemen so someone is getting cut.
Sims can be supplanted.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 07:40 PM)Camdaddy08 Wrote:   The locker room cancer thing from multiple sources and players was way overblown. What do you guys think of Easley joining.

The "locker room cancer" thing, as you said, was from multiple sources and players. When you have "multiple sources and players" saying you are a locker room cancer, chances are you are a locker room cancer. Pass.....
Reply/Quote
Did he play with Carlos Dunlap at Florida? If so, I am sure they got an honest character evaluation to figure out the locker room possible issues. Also, I thought he was like Gilberry and could play a DE or DT in a base 4 defense. No risk if contract friendly since he was cut so no impact on compensary picks in 2017 so why not bring him in and let him compete for a job.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 07:40 PM)Camdaddy08 Wrote: Listening to Sirius XM reports say Dominique Easley worked out for the Bengals and that there is interest on both sides. He has had some injuries but if he can come through I think he could be a nice addition.  The locker room cancer thing from multiple sources and players was way overblown. What do you guys think of Easley joining. I think he was just coming in to his own and were about to see his upside. I am excited.

We don't need DT depth we have plenty of that... We need DE depth. Hunt and Clark scare the crap out of me. Both guys aren't coming along at all.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
So, if we sign Easley, our depth could be:

DT:
Atkins
Williams
Peko
Billings
Easley

DE:
Johnson
Dunlap
Hardison
Hunt/Clarke

With cuts being Clarke or Hunt, Sims and Thompson.

That is if we carry 9 defensive lineman, which I think we will. In my projections, we likely carry 2 QB, 5 backs (HB and FB/H-back), 6 WR, 3 TEs, 9 Olinemen, 9 Dlinemen, 6 LB, 6 CB, 4 S, 3 ST.

Now, we can maybe sacrifice a safety, since Shaw can double as a safety, meaning we can bring back a 10th DLineman like Clarke/Hunt. Or we could possibly run 5 WR or maybe even 8 Olinemen, with Westerman being a backup guard and center and Winston doubling as a back up guard as well.

It could work out and could make our Dline even more dangerous.

But it could also destabilize other position groups if done incorrectly.
We'll see if it works out.
Reply/Quote

Bengals will very likely go with nine DL, as they did last year.

I think Easley fits that Gilberry role well and can be a quality rotational rusher. Hopefully by being in such a rotation, he could stay healthy. Hardison, IMO, should focus on DT and grow to be a rotational DT at both UT and NT.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Hardison should def focus on DT. No qb is going to fear a 315lb DE.

Sims won't be cut. They signed him to a 2 year contract. When's the last time the FO signed a player in the offseason to a 2 year contract just to cut him?

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 10:02 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That is if we carry 9 defensive lineman, which I think we will. In my projections, we likely carry 2 QB, 5 backs (HB and FB/H-back), 6 WR, 3 TEs, 9 Olinemen, 9 Dlinemen, 6 LB, 6 CB, 4 S, 3 ST.

I think we will go with 4 back.... Gio, Hill, Hewitt and Burkhead. Not much reason to carry a fifth imo....
on edit: I forgot about Peerman, so you may be right and we carry 5. Peerman is too good on ST to let go...
Reply/Quote
You cutting the "running reverend" (Peerman)?

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 11:10 AM)jj22 Wrote: You cutting the running reverend?

Naw, I fixed it. I just forgot about him for a minute...
Reply/Quote