Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe some DT depth on the way
Backup DE. Why not? I hope we look at the character concerns under the microscope first, but maybe he's just been humbled, or the evil empire can't stand independent personalities.

NE has no luck with Gators, do they?
Reply/Quote
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 3m3 minutes ago

The #Bengals are working out former #Patriots first-round DL Dominique Easley today, source said.

Ian is reporting he is here today? Thought the visit already took place prior to the draft...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 10:12 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals will very likely go with nine DL, as they did last year.

I think Easley fits that Gilberry role well and can be a quality rotational rusher. Hopefully by being in such a rotation, he could stay healthy. Hardison, IMO, should focus on DT and grow to be a rotational DT at both UT and NT.
Thought we had 10 last year.

Dunlap, MJ, Gilberry, Hunt, Clark
Atkins, Peko, Sims, Thompson, Hardison
Reply/Quote
Just read that he works out with Carlos D. in the off-season. Dunlap describes him as very explosive. He's a 3 technique, like Geno. That could be an awesome rotation, but where does that leave Williams?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 02:44 PM)Shady Wrote: Just read that he works out with Carlos D. in the off-season. Dunlap describes him as very explosive. He's a 3 technique, like Geno. That could be an awesome rotation, but where does that leave Williams?

Not sure why there is a notion that Williams is an important player on this football team. He had a good preseason last year, and he showed some promise. We need to stop acting like he is a bonafide contributor though. Right now he is just another PS player. He is getting the B. Ghee treatment, ugh.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 09:44 PM)Camdaddy08 Wrote: I have thought of that and believe he is quick enough to play DE, when he is not hobbling of course. Either way our depth across our d-line would be sick. I can see him beating out Sims though and it would be a good fight with Williams.

wouldnt be competeing with Sims really if a DE role... or DE/DT sims is a run stuffer. it would one of the other guys getting the ax.
Reply/Quote
apparently not a great run stuffer but good on 3rd downs as an interior pass rusher. If billings really is only a 2 down player (and I'm not sure about that). A combo of billings and Easley
May net you a very very good overall DT.

When you can get after the qb without having to blitz your defense can go to another level.
Reply/Quote
If he can stay on two feet and perform he'd do well in the DE rotation..They need to make sure he stays away from dogs though.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 02:26 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Thought we had 10 last year.

Dunlap, MJ, Gilberry, Hunt, Clark
Atkins, Peko, Sims, Thompson, Hardison

You're right, it was 10. Either way, should be more than eight.

EDIT: I went back and looked at a depth chart. There were only five LBs (Maualuga, Burfict, VRey, Hawk, Dawson), allowing for 10 DL to be kept. I expect the Bengals to keep at least six LBs this year (Maualuga, Burfict, VRey, Dansby, Dawson, Vigil), so that would leave 19 more spots if the team splits it evenly 25/25 between offense and defense. The Bengals would have to then either roll with nine DBs or DL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 04:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You're right, it was 10. Either way, should be more than eight.

EDIT: I went back and looked at a depth chart. There were only five LBs (Maualuga, Burfict, VRey, Hawk, Dawson), allowing for 10 DL to be kept. I expect the Bengals to keep at least six LBs this year (Maualuga, Burfict, VRey, Dansby, Dawson, Vigil), so that would leave 19 more spots if the team splits it evenly 25/25 between offense and defense. The Bengals would have to then either roll with nine DBs or DL.

Your forgot Burfict will be out a few games early so we may have 5 LB's again early in the year. I think Thompson also is slated to start the year on PUP list so another DL roster spot available. From 2015, we would start the year with no Gilberry, No Thompson at a minimum. Sims will be in a fight with Williams for a roster spot in camp possibly.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 04:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You're right, it was 10. Either way, should be more than eight.

I think you are forgetting Chris Carter.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 04:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Your forgot Burfict will be out a few games early so we may have 5 LB's again early in the year

I didn't forget. I just planned for the Bengals to have six LBs if all stay healthy when Burfict returns.

But because of Burfict being out for three games...do you think the Bengals keep someone like Marquis Flowers as a sixth LB or go 10 DL and 10 DBs while he's out?
And who would get dropped once Burfict returns and the Bengals go with six LBs?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 04:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think you are forgetting Chris Carter.

He was cut before the end of the season. I also forgot Emmanuel Lamur, so the Bengals did have at least six LBs on the roster at some point last year. But this depth chart last year shows 10 DL, five LB, 10 DBs.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/cin/formation/4-3-defense

Did the Bengals promote Lewis-Harris and go down to five LBs? I can't remember now and having trouble finding an article explicitly stating when CLew was added.

So perhaps the Bengals will go with just nine DBs to start the season this year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I thought CC made the team and was cut mid season.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 04:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't forget. I just planned for the Bengals to have six LBs if all stay healthy when Burfict returns.

But because of Burfict being out for three games...do you think the Bengals keep someone like Marquis Flowers as a sixth LB or go 10 DL and 10 DBs while he's out?
And who would get dropped once Burfict returns and the Bengals go with six LBs?

Pretty good odds that injuries will answer this question for us by the time 4 preseason and 3 regular season games pass by. Not going to worry about it until/if the situation actually comes around.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 05:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty good odds that injuries will answer this question for us by the time 4 preseason and 3 regular season games pass by. Not going to worry about it until/if the situation actually comes around.

Only exception to this was last season, where we were healthy and had to release that snakebit A&M linebacker whose name I forget, then a rash of secondary injuries happened the 2nd half of the year.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 03:01 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Not sure why there is a notion that Williams is an important player on this football team. He had a good preseason last year, and he showed some promise. We need to stop acting like he is a bonafide contributor though. Right now he is just another PS player. He is getting the B. Ghee treatment, ugh.

He looked like one in pre-season, but I get that there is usually a difference between a 1st rounder and a UDFA. Still, Williams looked pretty good in preaseason...better than Devon Still, who was a 2nd round pick. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 06:26 PM)Shady Wrote: He looked like one in pre-season, but I get that there is usually a difference between a 1st rounder and a UDFA. Still, Williams looked pretty good in preaseason...better than Devon Still, who was a 2nd round pick. 

Preseason should be a reason to give a guy a closer look, but certainly not a reason to expect anything from the guy.

In 11 preseason games, Margus Hunt has 28 tackles, 6.0 sacks, and 1 FF.
In 29 regular season games, Margus Hunt has 12 tackles, 1.5 sacks, and 1 Pdef.

Not sure "better than Devon Still" is a great selling point though, Shady. Haha

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 12:05 AM)Shady Wrote: Same here. Plus he was rumored to have been a headache in the locker room. I know he has talent, but we seem to have a good mix of talent at DT right now. I trust our FO to make the right call on this, but I'm pulling for Williams (final 53) and even Dean (PS) to back up Geno, Peko, and Billings. 

(05-09-2016, 08:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The "locker room cancer" thing, as you said, was from multiple sources and players. When you have "multiple sources and players" saying you are a locker room cancer, chances are you are a locker room cancer. Pass.....

As I first mentioned the locker room cancer seems like it was overblown. I have read interviews with players that stick up for him as a person and his work ethic. Just like multiple sources said the Bengals players were tired of Pac and Burficts play but then hear everyone sticking up for them. Media hype because of "anonymous" person who spouts off at the mouth.
I think if there was a problem the Bengals wouldn't be trying him out. They have a pretty good relationship with Pats and Bellichik and I am assuming asked them about him. Injury problems I believe is what has scared away most of the teams. We will see.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2016, 03:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: wouldnt be competeing with Sims really if a DE role... or DE/DT sims is a run stuffer.  it would one of the other guys getting the ax.

Bolded is my answer.

Not really saying competing with Sims as a DT but Sims would be one to look at as a whole for the line that might get cut because they have too many d-lineman.

Right now

MJ
Dunlap
Hunt
Clarke
Atkins
Peko
Billings
Sims
Thompson
Hardison
Williams

If you add Easley that is 12. They will not carry 12 d-lineman. So overall Sims might be one that goes because he cannot fill the UT spot like Easley. So it was more of an overall he might be one cut because of the numbers game. Right now we have 4 true DT if you can cut one of them to have an extra UT than that's what they would have to do. Sims might be that guy.
Reply/Quote