Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Maybe the Brits are just having us on': the world reacts to Boris Johnson as foreign
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/14/maybe-the-brits-are-just-having-us-on-the-world-reacts-to-boris-johnson-as-foreign-minister

Quote:The world of politics, diplomacy and celebrity has reacted with a mixture of amusement and horror to the news that Boris Johnson has been appointed Britain’s new foreign secretary.

Johnson himself said he was “excited” to take up the new role , which will involve travelling the globe, meeting foreign leaders and representing Britain on the international stage.

However, his track record when it comes to interacting with other cultures is patchy to say the least, and politicians around the world will no doubt be intrigued by the prospect of working with a man who once wrote a poem about the Turkish president having sex with a goat.

In the US, the official reaction was one of carefully restrained laughter.

When State Department spokesman Mark Toner heard the news, he struggled to keep a straight face – a broad smile breaking out more than once – before saying the US “looked forward” to working with Johnson.

More at the link, including a video of Mr. Toner.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
And if Trump gets elected, they can share hair care tips and ways to offend people. I'm seeing this as a loss for the world, but a win for the U.S.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Do you think this was possibly a token of appeasement ?
(07-14-2016, 01:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/14/maybe-the-brits-are-just-having-us-on-the-world-reacts-to-boris-johnson-as-foreign-minister

I believe the actual quote was, "We look forward to working with Britain's Johnson. He may be difficult to swallow, but he's not that difficult to handle."  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
(07-14-2016, 01:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/14/maybe-the-brits-are-just-having-us-on-the-world-reacts-to-boris-johnson-as-foreign-minister

Isn't he a Jersey boy?  
http://www.thelocal.de/20160714/germany-bemused-at-reckless-con-artist-boris-johnson-appointment

From the article, an interesting take.

Quote:A writer for Der Spiegel magazine, the bastion of the liberal establishment, described Johnson scathingly as “a snake oil salesman” and a “reckless con artist” who had led a “campaign of deception”.

“The appointment is sensational, at first sight it comes across as crazy.”

But the liberal magazine journalist explains the appointment as a clever ploy on the part of May to scapegoat the former mayor of London.

“Johnson has to clean away the debris that he himself offloaded in front of 10 Downing Street… May brought those responsible for Brexit out from behind the bushes they were hiding behind and stuck them in the front row.”

Conservative Die Welt also sees the choice of Johnson as having more than meets they eye, suggesting May wants to be entertained by watching Johnson’s buffoonery play out on the biggest stage of all.

The new prime minister has constrained Johnson's power by creating two new posts that concern foreign issues - a minister responsible for Brexit negotiations and a minister for international trade - Die Welt notes.

“His job will be limited to what he does best - charming people. As foreign minister he will play a similar role to the one he played as mayor of London, only on a bigger stage. And why should May deny herself this show, this unique talent to advertise for Britain?"
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-15-2016, 11:51 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Isn't he a Jersey boy?  

No idea. I'd never heard of him before that article.

(07-15-2016, 12:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: No idea. I'd never heard of him before that article.

Frankly, I'm really surprised that you don't?   I do know that he is American born (I thought New Jersey, I could be wrong though), was Mayor of London, conservative, a leader in the "Brexit" movement and considered to be the next nominee for the PM position, when Cameron stepped down (he opted not to run).   He was appointed to a cabinet position with the New PM.  Some have compared him to Trump.  You really haven't heard of him?

(07-15-2016, 11:51 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Isn't he a Jersey boy?  

(07-15-2016, 12:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: No idea. I'd never heard of him before that article.

Errr...wait I was talking about Johnson not Toner. LOL
(07-15-2016, 01:14 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Frankly, I'm really surprised that you don't?   I do know that he is American born (I thought New Jersey, I could be wrong though), was Mayor of London, conservative, a leader in the "Brexit" movement and considered to be the next nominee for the PM position, when Cameron stepped down (he opted not to run).   He was appointed to a cabinet position with the New PM.  Some have compared him to Trump.  You really haven't heard of him?

Boris was even a guest on Top Gear, a BBC America show in which he was the butt of many jokes over the years. One of the likely reasons he backed away from running for PM was expose' of his misrepresentation of the money Britain would save by exiting. From my view, the world would be better served if this guy wasn't in any official capacity at all.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(07-15-2016, 01:20 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Boris was even a guest on Top Gear, a BBC America show in which he was the butt of many jokes over the years. One of the likely reasons he backed away from running for PM was expose' of his misrepresentation of the money Britain would save by exiting. From my view, the world would be better served if this guy wasn't in any official capacity at all.

To be fair, I hadn't heard of him either until the whole "Brexit" thing.  I did find it hilarious that  the "ugly American" became the Mayor of London. LOL
(07-15-2016, 01:19 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Errr...wait I was talking about Johnson not Toner. LOL

LOL I definitely thought you meant Toner.

(07-15-2016, 01:20 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Boris was even a guest on Top Gear, a BBC America show in which he was the butt of many jokes over the years. One of the likely reasons he backed away from running for PM was expose' of his misrepresentation of the money Britain would save by exiting. From my view, the world would be better served if this guy wasn't in any official capacity at all.

I just find it interesting that the man who wrote a poem about the Turkish president ***** a goat is now in charge of diplomacy for the UK.

(07-15-2016, 01:46 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: To be fair, I hadn't heard of him either until the whole "Brexit" thing.  I did find it hilarious that  the "ugly American" became the Mayor of London. LOL

Oh, I've known about Johnson for a while. But he definitely became more interesting with Brexit.

(07-15-2016, 01:20 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Boris was even a guest on Top Gear, a BBC America show in which he was the butt of many jokes over the years. One of the likely reasons he backed away from running for PM was expose' of his misrepresentation of the money Britain would save by exiting. From my view, the world would be better served if this guy wasn't in any official capacity at all.

I really don't know much about him other than what I posted.  Though I found it interesting that he was American born but a British politician.