Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe we need to clean house after the season if things go bad...
I saw a lot of the same tendencies we have for years.

In the 1st game, we statistically dominated...yet found a way to not win.

In the 2nd game, team strengths totally abandoned themselves.

This team can't be that bad. The team culture needs to change and unfortunately it starts at the top.

Time will tell...but IF we finish like 4-12 or 5-11, we seriously need to strongly consider a reboot. Guys like AJ, Geno, and Dunlap are 30/31. We need to get a bunch of young guys on cheap rookie contracts.
Reply/Quote
Just thinking out loud here, but does anyone here like bananas on their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

How about cutting your grass in the rain? I mean, if it's just sprinkling, it's not really a problem...but when it's raining hard, it's difficult to cut. 

Also, while i'm at it, i have this rash...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just thinking out loud here, but does anyone here like bananas on their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

How about cutting your grass in the rain? I mean, if it's just sprinkling, it's not really a problem...but when it's raining hard, it's difficult to cut. 

Love bananas on PB but not jelly  

The grass thing is tricky. What tends to happen is when it sprinkles and I start it starts friggin pouring and now I have to balance having a half mowed yard or getting my mower clogged with globs of grass.. 

Need more information on the rash to be helpful. 
Reply/Quote
The front office has to do a better job of acquiring outside talent instead hoping to just hit on every draft pick. We added B.W. Webb and Kerry Wynn to the worse defense in the league and thought that was good enough. We hope linebackers like Pratt pan out even though Tobin has showed he can’t draft them. John Miller was our biggest offseason addition and he stinks.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just thinking out loud here, but does anyone here like bananas on their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

Not really, the texture throws me off.

It's a situational playcall depending on upcoming schedule.

If it's from my ex, Im sorry.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
who is cleaning the brown house? need to start there.
Reply/Quote
What do you expect when you win 5 games n then the following season add scrubs like Webb, Miller , Andre Smith, and then draft Sample in round 2 it’s not going to improve the team. Then you have the great Dalton leading the way with his pre game speeches.
Reply/Quote
I don't mind a "build through the draft" philosophy, but when the plan goes off the rails due to bad picks or injuries and you don't do something to seriously address it then you're essentially writing off seasons. "Next man up" doesn't fly when the next man isn't good enough.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I saw a lot of the same tendencies we have for years.

In the 1st game, we statistically dominated...yet found a way to not win.

In the 2nd game, team strengths totally abandoned themselves.

This team can't be that bad. The team culture needs to change and unfortunately it starts at the top.

Time will tell...but IF we finish like 4-12 or 5-11, we seriously need to strongly consider a reboot. Guys like AJ, Geno, and Dunlap are 30/31. We need to get a bunch of young guys on cheap rookie contracts.

Well we cannot have 'cleaned house' much more than we did in this offseason surely!?

Fired the second longest tenured HC with a rookie HC to replace  ,  New OC, New DC, pretty much new OL, New LB coach, etc.

They are going to have to give ZT some time - you cannot start over again every season.

Where i agree and think there are big decisions to be made is regarding Dalton and Green. If this season continues more life SF than SEA than we will really see what ZT is made of and whether he wants to start up with 'his' QB
Reply/Quote
I think an epically bad year will result in some staff turnover. Taylor isn't going anywhere, nor should he. He deserves time to get his roster where he wants it.

Dalton and Green are the big questions. I think this team has a legitimate shot at winning less than 5 games this year. That puts them in the first round quarterback conversation. A that point, if Zac wants a guy to groom, you let him pick him. This team isn't constructed well enough to help a 30 mil per year Andy Dalton succeed. Draft a rookie with upside on an affordable contract, then build the line with the 30 million instead.

I think that there are enough skill players on the roster that paying Green 20 or 22 mil per year isn't a necessity, either. Take some mercy on him. Let him pursue a title before his career ends. He's been the consummate good soldier.

A lot of people here like to ask if we as fans would really want to spend 18 mil on "Trent freaking Brown" or give Roger Saffold a 44 million dollar deal. Well, I'm here to tell you that I absolutely would at this point. We need established commodities on the line, not retreads and roster backfill. We've tried the cheap approach for 3 years now and it gets worse and worse. Spend money to fix the problem instead of extending a guy like AJ to be a hood ornament on a one dimensional offense or Andy to watch him get obliterated when other teams pin their ears back and tee off due to lack of run game.

We're going to get beat a lot until we start winning at the line of scrimmage. Yesterday's game illustrated that perfectly. SF doesn't have a great QB or skill players. I'd take ours over theirs all day long. What they do have is a legit o-line and defensive front seven, some of which they spent a lot of money on in free agency. Nobody was laughing at the Kwon Alexander overpay yesterday as their defense shut our offense down.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 09:49 AM)samhain Wrote: Dalton and Green are the big questions.  I think this team has a legitimate shot at winning less than 5 games this year.  That puts them in the first round quarterback conversation.  A that point, if Zac wants a guy to groom, you let him pick him.  This team isn't constructed well enough to help a 30 mil per year Andy Dalton succeed.  Draft a rookie with upside on an affordable contract, then build the line with the 30 million instead. 

That's all well and good if you trust the team to actually put that money towards the offensive line.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 09:52 AM)Big Boss Wrote: That's all well and good if you trust the team to actually put that money towards the offensive line.  

Oh, I never said I trusted them, I just said it's what they should do.  All of these skill guys will be wasted on a team with an o-line like this.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 07:42 AM)sonofstat Wrote: Well we cannot have 'cleaned house' much more than we did in this offseason surely!?

Fired the second longest tenured HC with a rookie HC to replace  ,  New OC, New DC, pretty much new OL, New LB coach, etc.

They are going to have to give ZT some time - you cannot start over again every season.

Where i agree and think there are big decisions to be made is regarding Dalton and Green. If this season continues more life SF than SEA than we will really see what ZT is made of and whether he wants to start up with 'his' QB

That's kind of what cleaning house entails...Moving on from Dalton and possibly trading Green and some of our aging stars for draft picks.

But, we need better people drafting.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 09:52 AM)Big Boss Wrote: That's all well and good if you trust the team to actually put that money towards the offensive line.  

Right. We saw them overpay guys like Hart, Gio, and Webb so far.
Reply/Quote

Well, I got caught in the rain halfway through mowing on the only day I could fit mowing into my schedule once this summer. I persevered, and the yard looked pretty damn good!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:20 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Then you have the great Dalton leading the way with his pre game speeches.

Still better than Jameis Winson's "Eat a W" nonsense.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:58 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's kind of what cleaning house entails...Moving on from Dalton and possibly trading Green and some of our aging stars for draft picks.

But, we need better people drafting.

Quite the conundrum isn't it? 

Reply/Quote
Here's a take, maybe in left field, but it's a take nonetheless. Zac gets to see how bad/good the team is at all positions. A real front office would take his evaluation and address it accordingly. Get active in FA, and have a good draft and the team may take off. Pipe dream, I know, but I think that's what I'd do. I believe in Jonah Williams. His tape and track record says he is what we all hope he will be. That loss did hurt us. Still, you can't fix the team in a draft. There has to be some help, real help. If they want to win games with the skill players they currently have, that's what needs to happen.

Reply/Quote
Nothing is going to change with this FO setup. Nothing. We've been through the replacing the Franchise Qb and star WR. We've been through replacing the HC and coaching staff. We've flipped the roster.

It's changed nothing.

Nothing will change with the franchise with this FO.

It's time to find a new team, or just focus on appreciating the sport of football.

But wishing for more from the Bengals is a useless exercise.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
You know at some point this year the team will win to give the fanbase hope. It happens in the NFL. We won't go 0-16.
Reply/Quote