Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCarron Needs To Play Against Tampa, or forget about it
And the overreacting train has left the station.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 08:59 AM)McC Wrote: And the overreacting train has left the station.

People were saying the same things about Kirkpatrick a couple years ago.

Except at least he had the dignity to be out because of surgery and contact injuries unlike the 5th round Golden Boy.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 01:06 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Oh, well I guess it's Andy and Josh Johnson forever.  Sigh.

I'm not comfortable with our fate resting in the hands of Josh Johnson if Andy goes down.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 04:26 AM)J24 Wrote: The Coaches know enough about him from practice to know what type of player he his. I am sure they want to see him play in a preseason game but I doubt it keeps him off the roster if he doesn't play in one.

Not sure I agree that the coaches know what kind of player he is without doing it in live action against a real opponent.  It would be a huge risk to head into the regular season with AJ as the sole backup if he doesn't play at all in the pre-season.
Reply/Quote
Looking like we should've kept Captain Checkdown.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 11:22 PM)kevin Wrote: I see people just having him as the #2 QB....I guarantee you the coaches don't. He has never played in one snap of a preseason or regular season game since drafted in 2014.  If he doesn't get healthy and play in preseason game 2, he has again missed too much time. There will be little time for the back-ups in preseason game 3.  If McCarron can't go against Tampa, you really have to go with Johnson who has at least been in preseason games the last 2 years. .......I hope McCarron can play and do good, but it's kind of a time is running out on him again in 2015 situation.

I agree the coach's won't hand him a roster spot.

Is strongly disagree he lost his day in the sun. There are 3 pre-season games left. He also has looked much better in camp so it is not like the coaches have not seen him go against NFL talent (our first team defense for example).

I wanted to see him live Friday too, but his window is still open as we likely know the ceiling or close to it of JJ and JJ likely will not make another NFL roster so would remain available if AD were hurt, so I think a healthy AJ beats out JJ.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 10:12 AM)JADefense Wrote: Not sure I agree that the coaches know what kind of player he is without doing it in live action against a real opponent.  It would be a huge risk to head into the regular season with AJ as the sole backup if he doesn't play at all in the pre-season.

I have no idea the extent of his injury, but if it is so serious no play in pre-season, my guess is he earns a second trip to the IR and out for the 2015 season versus risking him to the PS where he likely gets plucked by a team like the Jets or maybe the bills.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The backup QB situation is a worry. If McCarron pans out, fine. But as it stands today, it's pretty ugly. I thought Josh Johnson played about as well as I have seen him play for the team, which is a positive, but should he have to be called upon to start, we won't win more than a handful of games max.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 10:31 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree the coach's won't hand him a roster spot.

Is strongly disagree he lost his day in the sun. There are 3 pre-season games left. He also has looked much better in camp so it is not like the coaches have not seen him go against NFL talent (our first team defense for example).

I wanted to see him live Friday too, but his window is still open as we likely know the ceiling or close to it of JJ and JJ likely will not make another NFL roster so would remain available if AD were hurt, so I think a healthy AJ beats out JJ.

Hopefully he's healthy by the 24th. If he's not playing in the Tampa Bay game I honestly don't think he will make the team.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 10:41 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: The backup QB situation is a worry. If McCarron pans out, fine. But as it stands today, it's pretty ugly. I thought Josh Johnson played about as well as I have seen him play for the team, which is a positive, but should he have to be called upon to start, we won't win more than a handful of games max.

I agree JJ looked good at times and average or bad at others. But, he had no time with any of our first team offense (OL or receivers) so it is very hard to judge just how well he would do with them and against other team's starters with them.

Reply/Quote
Just PS the dude.  He really can't be that alluring to other teams as others have said.  Always injured, with no tape other than college.

Who is to say he'd even be better than other QBs that get released or are on other practice squads?

Maybe he needs to drop trow so he can show his worth and leadership abilities.   I dunno. [Image: unsure.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 01:06 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Oh, well I guess it's Andy and Josh Johnson forever.  Sigh.

JJ doesn't make the team over McCarron.  Too young and too much upside even with the injuries, of which he's only had 2.  Last year was a redshirt year anyway so they got the shoulder fixed, this year is just a ding and no use to push it this early.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 10:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: Looking like we should've kept Captain Checkdown.....

Perhaps he will be back.  Or is he one of those "thanks but no thanks" sort of retirees? Perhaps it's just me, but Josh Johnson is sort of like that Bryan Adams song about asking if you have really really loved a woman; there is nothing inherently awful about either of them but each time I see/hear them I just feel a wave of nausea and want to remove myself from the situation.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure he will get playing time this week.

No reason to worry quite yet unless he misses the preseason in its entirety.

I think he will come in next week and do fine.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 09:18 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: People were saying the same things about Kirkpatrick a couple years ago.

Except at least he had the dignity to be out because of surgery and contact injuries unlike the 5th round Golden Boy.

Remember it well.  If the armchair GM's had their way, DreK would be playing for someone else.

The moral of the story is "act in haste, repent at leisure."

From what AJ said, he could have played but the coaches figured there was no point rushing things for a preseason game.

So he strained a muscle making a throw.  It happens on hot days, like a back or receiver straining a hamstring.

Still don't get the vitriol toward this guy.  Seems unearned to me.

I have no idea how good he'll be but I can't see writing anybody off sight unseen.

I wonder why they keep Porter around or keep bringing Ghee back if neither can get on the field.  They must see something worth holding onto, right or wrong.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 10:46 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree JJ looked good at times and average or bad at others. But, he had no time with any of our first team offense (OL or receivers) so it is very hard to judge just how well he would do with them and against other team's starters with them.
What I get from JJ is that he might be able to gut you out a win or two but you wouldn't want a season in his hands.

He makes some throws and some plays with with his legs but he is pretty much a 50-55% passer and if defenses can keep him in the pocket, he will struggle mightily.

Reply/Quote
Forget about what exactly? What if he plays in week 3 and 4?

Look, I think the people who think McCarron is going to be great and is a better option than Dalton are really getting their hopes up about a guy who slid to the 5th round for a reason. But to insinuate that if he doesn't play next week that his chances at being the number 2 are over seems incredibly stupid to me.

We know what we have in Josh Johnson. An absolute bum. A veteran guy who was out of the league last year. A veteran guy who was out of the league prior to us picking him up the first time. A guy who hasn't completed a pass in five years. Five ***** years!!!! And you what to gripe about McCarron potentially missing two preseason games and lacking experience in year 2? Are you kidding me? Josh Johnson has a 57 career QB rating and has no business ever being on an active roster at this point in his career.

Remember, this is an organization that employed their starting QB's BROTHER as their back-up for a number of season. A guy who hasn't seen a regular roster since. The team approached the position like they were running a lemonade stand or a local hardware store. This is a team that has put zero pressure on Andy in regards to competition, and won't even entertain the thought of needing to push him or bringing in more help.

So sorry, but the idea that they need to pull the plug on McCarron if doesn't play is laughable. As long as he knows the playbook and he's healthy that's enough for me to give him the spot of the other two options. Pre-season football and the fake vanilla reps matter very little over practice reps.

IMO the OP is getting his panties in a bunch over something that makes little sense.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 11:01 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Just PS the dude.  He really can't be that alluring to other teams as others have said.  Always injured, with no tape other than college.

Who is to say he'd even be better than other QBs that get released or are on other practice squads?

Maybe he needs to drop trow so he can show his worth and leadership abilities.   I dunno. [Image: unsure.gif]

Really?  He misses one game and that's it? 

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 09:18 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: People were saying the same things about Kirkpatrick a couple years ago.

Today I learned certain legitimate injuries are more "dignified" than others.  Hmm.  Good to know. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote

Has Dre lived up to that 1st round pick enough so far to be smug about this?  Just asking.
Reply/Quote