Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCarron Needs To Play Against Tampa, or forget about it
(08-16-2015, 12:33 PM)McC Wrote: Really?  He misses one game and that's it? 

Nope.  Just said PS him.  That means he's still part of the team.

Not sure if either of these guys could be a decent back up(meaning playing more than a partial game or short stint)... and that's with seeing JJ. LMAO
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 01:30 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Nope.  Just said PS him.  That means he's still part of the team.

Not sure if either of these guys could be a decent back up(meaning playing more than a partial game or short stint)... and that's with seeing JJ. LMAO

Right now Sam Bradford and Bob Sanders look like a duo of reliable tanks compared to McCarron, but I do find it pretty odd that one rib injury and we are ready to pull the plug on the guy.  Or is the notion that there is something about McCarron that just makes him hurt himself by practicing?  Welp, I guess it's all non-contact injury so far.  Yuck.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I simply can't care about a guy who hasn't played NFL snaps. Sure he's hitting a nice piece of trim and played at a big school, but this isn't a popularity contest. I just hope our receivers stay healthy this year and I don't have to hear about how terrible dalton is when he has 2 viable receivers in a playoff game.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 12:10 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I'm disappointed McCarron just can't get on the field after over a year BUT I don't see the point in giving pre-season time to a QB we picked up for the sole reason of having experience within the system.  Pulling the plug on McCarron would mean we get to see more Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo than we need and 0 of McCarron so that we are (probably) looking at a 2016 pre-season where McCarron would have 0 snaps of any sort.

What the fudge good does that do anyone?

What do you have against Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo? I read somewhere he is the next Tom Brady.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 01:46 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right now Sam Bradford and Bob Sanders look like a duo of reliable tanks compared to McCarron, but I do find it pretty odd that one rib injury and we are ready to pull the plug on the guy.  Or is the notion that there is something about McCarron that just makes him hurt himself by practicing?  Welp, I guess it's all non-contact injury so far.  Yuck.

Who knows, maybe Maualuga sucker punched him at a bar Ninja

And please stop with the Bradford more durable than McCarron stuff, cuz that's a huuuuuge stretch.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 06:11 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Who knows, maybe Maualuga sucker punched him at a bar Ninja

And please stop with the Bradford more durable than McCarron stuff, cuz that's a huuuuuge stretch.

How is Bradford being more durable than McCarron a stretch? Bradford has started 61% of the time (not including pre-season), and McCarron has started 0% of the time (including pre-season, and time as a 2nd stringer)
Reply/Quote
Brownshoe
How is Bradford being more durable than McCarron a stretch? Bradford has started 61% of the time (not including pre-season), and McCarron has started 0% of the time (including pre-season, and time as a 2nd stringer)

The Bengals drafted him knowing they would not play him last year, which means he really has missed one preseason game, which he said he could have played in.  Yes, he has played 0%, but it's 0/1 and not 0/17.  

We'll see what the future brings.  Lotta minds made up already.  I'm missing the logic of that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 06:22 PM)McC Wrote: Brownshoe

The Bengals drafted him knowing they would not play him last year, which means he really has missed one preseason game, which he said he could have played in.  Yes, he has played 0%, but it's 0/1 and not 0/17.  

We'll see what the future brings.  Lotta minds made up already.  I'm missing the logic of that.

We can't afford to put McCarron on the 53 roster, and him not able to play. There is no way we are keeping 3 QBs this season, because we are already going to have to put a few good players on the PS.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 12:26 PM)McC Wrote: Remember it well.  If the armchair GM's had their way, DreK would be playing for someone else.

The moral of the story is "act in haste, repent at leisure."

From what AJ said, he could have played but the coaches figured there was no point rushing things for a preseason game.

So he strained a muscle making a throw.  It happens on hot days, like a back or receiver straining a hamstring.

Still don't get the vitriol toward this guy.  Seems unearned to me.

I have no idea how good he'll be but I can't see writing anybody off sight unseen.

I wonder why they keep Porter around or keep bringing Ghee back if neither can get on the field.  They must see something worth holding onto, right or wrong.

Who said we should cut DreK? I was one of his biggest critics after his rookie season, but I never said he should be cut. Either way, a 1st round pick should and does get a longer leash than a 5th rounder. Although I think it's a little early to panic on McCarron, people are only early by a week or two. 

If McCarron isn't healthy real soon, he'll miss out on more game reps. For a guy who hasn't seen live action since the BCS championship game almost 2 years ago, that's a pretty big deal. I don't see much "vitriol" towards McCarron. Just realistic and fair concerns. Hopefully he's ready to go for the next game and he isn't always nicked up going forward.

(08-16-2015, 01:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Has Dre lived up to that 1st round pick enough so far to be smug about this?  Just asking.

Fair question. Dre has improved, but some people need to pump the brakes a bit. He's still never been a starter and some talk like he's all-pro.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 06:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fair question. Dre has improved, but some people need to pump the brakes a bit. He's still never been a starter and some talk like he's all-pro.

You have to give Dre credit though. Even though he wasn't in the game a lot he made an impact when he was in. Considering that he's only had a very limited amount of snaps he's had 6 INTs (two of which were pick 6s) the past two years and that's impressive.
Reply/Quote
I think I would be comfortable with JJ running the option if Andy were to go down. To be fair we haven't really seen what he can do with the #1's. I think it could be successful.

Moreso than handing the ball to McCarron at this point anyway.

Reply/Quote
I hope McCarron plays and takes the number 2 spot but at this point his situation is worrisome.

Because I think it is a horrible idea to have to carry 3 QBs on a roster loaded with talent.
Johnson is not the answer at backup on his best day but at the same time you have to have someone if your
guy gets hurt every time the wind blows.

It's not comparable to DreK at all.... period.
The team carries 5-6 CBs with 1 on the PS as a rule.
With Dre coming in as the number 4 or 5 it doesnt hurt if he rides the pine.

With QBs there is always huge drop off between the starter and back up as a rule and usually the 3rd guy going into the game is nightmare land.

Anyone who is comfortable with the situation right now is a little too optimistic.
Id rather have a SWilliams or a Little/Derron Smith on the roster than Josh freakin Johnson but if McCarron cant get healthy we may have our hand forced.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 06:54 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I think I would be comfortable with JJ running the option if Andy were to go down. To be fair we haven't really seen what he can do with the #1's. I think it could be successful.

Moreso than handing the ball to McCarron at this point anyway.

That would be a nightmare scenario.

Johnson is a 1/4 or 50/50 passer at best even on shorter throws.
Its been the knock on him his whole career.... the guy cannot hit the broad side of a barn 2 times in a row.

Running the option with no threat in the passing game will not work in today's NFL.

Gotta have a guy who can at least sort of chuck it.
Reply/Quote
Look guy's I don't care who the backup is as long as its not JT O'Sullivan.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 07:19 PM)Okeana Wrote: Look guy's I don't care who the backup is as long as its not JT O'Sullivan.

Sucked that the Jets got Fitzbeard in the trade.

I wouldve welcomed the beard back with open arms.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 06:17 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: How is Bradford being more durable than McCarron a stretch? Bradford has started 61% of the time (not including pre-season), and McCarron has started 0% of the time (including pre-season, and time as a 2nd stringer)

Because ACLs are way worse than rib injuries and a ... was it strained shoulder? I don't even think there was anything that wrong with it.

I think the chance of recovery on McCarron is much greater than on Bradford at this point, that's what made it seem like a stretch to me.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 08:24 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Because ACLs are way worse than rib injuries and a ... was it strained shoulder? I don't even think there was anything that wrong with it.

I think the chance of recovery on McCarron is much greater than on Bradford at this point, that's what made it seem like a stretch to me.

and that rib injury and sprained shoulder made him miss every game of his pro career. It has to say something that minor injuries have been holding McCaron back from doing anything other than being on the pup list.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 06:48 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: You have to give Dre credit though. Even though he wasn't in the game a lot he made an impact when he was in. Considering that he's only had a very limited amount of snaps he's had 6 INTs (two of which were pick 6s) the past two years and that's impressive.

No doubt. He's really turned it around after a rough start to his career. I'm optimistic, but I want to see how he fares with an increased role before I say he's a complete success or that he's lived up to his draft status.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 11:38 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: JJ doesn't make the team over McCarron.  Too young and too much upside even with the injuries, of which he's only had 2.  Last year was a redshirt year anyway so they got the shoulder fixed, this year is just a ding and no use to push it this early.

This thread isn't about Dalton. Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 04:51 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Can you keep a guy who isn't going to be available to play if something happens to the starter? Keeping 3 QBs is a terrible decision, and if McCarron doesn't find the field, how can you justify keeping him on the 53 over a guy who is on the bubble and producing?

(08-16-2015, 10:12 AM)JADefense Wrote: Not sure I agree that the coaches know what kind of player he is without doing it in live action against a real opponent.  It would be a huge risk to head into the regular season with AJ as the sole backup if he doesn't play at all in the pre-season.
1.) If he is one of the 53 most talented players on the roster then its not a terrible decision.
2.) Is keeping Josh Johnson or kieth Wenning any more comforting? Might as well keep the most talented QB out of the three in AJ or sign Jason Campbell.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote