Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCarthy 'fed up' w/ Packers FA approach
"Bob McGinn, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, one of the most plugged-in NFL reporters in the country, reported over the weekend that McCarthy is "fed up" with Thompson's conservative approach to free agency.

"According to several sources, McCarthy is fed up with his boss' unwillingness to take a chance and reinforce the roster with veteran players that might be unknown to the Packers but have the talent to contribute," McGinn wrote in a column that lambasted both the GM and coach for a lost season."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000628115/article/mccarthy-fed-up-with-packers-freeagency-approach

The reason I am posting this in the Front Office sub-forum of Jungle Noise is because many fans have had the same complaints with the Bengals FA approach too. While the Bengals have had good consistent success following the same approach as the Packers do, they have still plateaued.

Is the Bengals FO feeling the same heat that the Packers FO is feeling to "win now"? Do they do anything at all to change their approach?

What would the Bengals have/need to do in FA to take that next step? Any players specifically that they should try to sign?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well they said they did last year and there biggest signing was Michael Johnson...

Not bad... I hope so..

We NEED to win now.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 04:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: "Bob McGinn, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, one of the most plugged-in NFL reporters in the country, reported over the weekend that McCarthy is "fed up" with Thompson's conservative approach to free agency.

"According to several sources, McCarthy is fed up with his boss' unwillingness to take a chance and reinforce the roster with veteran players that might be unknown to the Packers but have the talent to contribute," McGinn wrote in a column that lambasted both the GM and coach for a lost season."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000628115/article/mccarthy-fed-up-with-packers-freeagency-approach

The reason I am posting this in the Front Office sub-forum of Jungle Noise is because many fans have had the same complaints with the Bengals FA approach too. While the Bengals have had good consistent success following the same approach as the Packers do, they have still plateaued.

Is the Bengals FO feeling the same heat that the Packers FO is feeling to "win now"? Do they do anything at all to change their approach?

What would the Bengals have/need to do in FA to take that next step? Any players specifically that they should try to sign?

Hard to say what we need in free agency till we see who of our own we resign.

LB Depth with Vontaze out and V Rey testing the market again(i think) a vet LB would help

Center If we can improve this position the line will be wall

Kicker Nugent can definately be upgraded hard cause love having them local boys on the squad

CB/S depends on who departs and who we keep this probly gets addressed in the draft unless we lose more than 1 starter next man up

RB I say this just because soon Gio and Hill will need contracts and i dont think we pay both

TE Maybe not high on the priority list with Eifert Hewitt and Kroft looking well

But someone to compete for the back end spot and give us a better option if Eifert is hurt again

DT Geno and Sims played well we have some young guys waiting but with still gone and thompson at contract time a replacedment upgrade could be needed

Backup QB if we trade AJ

Also import some cheerleaders from dallas.

WR if we could snag a viable #2 for next season with the possibility of Sanu jones or both leaving.
Reply/Quote
I don't want the Bengals to break the bank via free agency because we've seen year after year teams do this and it not work, however they do need to approach free agency with mindset to get better, they need a few better players and there are several who would help out, but we know the front office over values aging vets so I expect them to resign old players or bring in someone else's declining players.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 05:59 PM)Crowe Wrote: I don't want the Bengals to break the bank via free agency because we've seen year after year teams do this and it not work, however they do need to approach free agency with mindset to get better, they need a few better players and there are several who would help out, but we know the front office over values aging vets so I expect them to resign old players or bring in someone else's declining players.

Fans who are fans of FA, like myself, aren't looking for us to go out and spend like the Browns and Bucs. Those teams are always blowing their cap within the first week of free agency. What most of us are looking for, is the Bengals signing ONE player who looks like he can come in and contribute for a while. I mean, half the board nearly went into shock when we were meeting with Nick Fairley.

There's a magical mixing point where you can use free agency and the draft to help improve your team.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
It rarely works when a team signs several big free agents. In some cases all it takes is one huge contract to hurt a franchise's ability to keep a talented, deep roster.

We could use some work, sure. I don't think we should have let MJ walk when he did, and I think there's usually a player or two we could have picked up that would have been better here and there. At the start of this season, it was backup QB as I didn't really want to have AJ as the only one, but I was wrong about that one.

But overall, I'll take the Bengals' approach of pick up a veteran or two, or someone who wasn't used right, over teams that sign a big name and hope it works out.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 06:04 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Fans who are fans of FA, like myself, aren't looking for us to go out and spend like the Browns and Bucs. Those teams are always blowing their cap within the first week of free agency. What most of us are looking for, is the Bengals signing ONE player who looks like he can come in and contribute for a while. I mean, half the board nearly went into shock when we were meeting with Nick Fairley.

There's a magical mixing point where you can use free agency and the draft to help improve your team.
If cincy could add a few guys like trevathian at LB, a space eating DT like Damon harrison, terrence Knighton or mebane and the some depth guys i'd be happy
Reply/Quote
They SHOULD take that approach and actually go after free agents.

Look at the Broncos. They drafted well AND added great free agent talent.

Talib, Ward, and Ware had great moments in that Championship game. As did Roby, Wolfe, and Miller.

Think yesterday's game further proves you need to take risks on big time free agents sometimes.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 06:11 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: They SHOULD take that approach and actually go after free agents.

Talib, Ward, and Ware had great moments in that Championship game. As did Roby, Wolfe, and Miller.

Think yesterday's game further proves you need to take risks on big time free agents sometimes.

Yep. If you look at almost any SB winner, you're going to see a balance of good drafting with some smart FA pickups mixed in.

Last year the Pats had Revis and Browner at CB. Those signings helped push them over the top.

Here we are after a 5th straight one-n-done and there's no sign that the Bengals will ever alter their approach to FA. Last year we had some lip service that amounted to nothing.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 06:11 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: They SHOULD take that approach and actually go after free agents.

Odds are stacked against you.. Denver had some success with FA's but we can also point to many failures by good teams also.  

I like the Bengals approach.. don;t sell all the equipment on the farm or you can;t farm at all.  They have had some quite success in FA's.. Nelson, Jones, Newman to name a few.  You also still have to develop the FA's... Denver seemed to do a good job there.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 06:04 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Fans who are fans of FA, like myself, aren't looking for us to go out and spend like the Browns and Bucs. Those teams are always blowing their cap within the first week of free agency. What most of us are looking for, is the Bengals signing ONE player who looks like he can come in and contribute for a while. I mean, half the board nearly went into shock when we were meeting with Nick Fairley.

Jesus F'n Christ.

Are we really going to do this carousel of rational to irrational thought again?

That this needs to be explained and debated by numb nuts who think we want Mike Brown to be a overboard spender in FA?

It's the same damn thing every year. 

It can't hurt to add experienced outside talent.  They did it with Nelson/Newman/ etc etc...

Why not add one or two who are still relatively young and near there prime sometime?

Is that really asking too much?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 07:32 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Jesus F'n Christ.

Are we really going to do this carousel of rational to irrational thought again?

That this needs to be explained and debated by numb nuts who think we want Mike Brown to be a overboard spender in FA?

It's the same damn thing every year. 

It can't hurt to add experienced outside talent.  They did it with Nelson/Newman/ etc etc...

Why not add one or two who are still relatively young and near there prime sometime?

Is that really asking too much?

hard to argue overall what they have been doing the last few years has not been effective.. they have a lot of room in the cap to resign valuable FA's of their own first.. and then look outside for couple FA's like last year.
Reply/Quote
Re-sign Iloka and Marvin Jones.
Offer pacman a cheap one year deal.

Use the money from Hall and Nelson leaving to go get one real FA signing.
A LB or DT. Make the draft that much less of a necessity to hit on so many picks.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 07:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yep. If you look at almost any SB winner, you're going to see a balance of good drafting with some smart FA pickups mixed in.

Last year the Pats had Revis and Browner at CB. Those signings helped push them over the top.

Here we are after a 5th straight one-n-done and there's no sign that the Bengals will ever alter their approach to FA. Last year we had some lip service that amounted to nothing.

Are we 1 or 2 players away from greatness, yet?

Seriously, we have the talent on this roster.  Had Andy not broken his thumb, I completely believe that we could be watching the Bengals VS. Panthers in the SB, this year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If a player is a good fit I'm all for it as long as we can still keep our guys we desire to keep. I think the Bengals play FA intelligently but can be too conservative at times. IMO though there are really only a handful of guys in each FA class that are guys that will fit in seamlessly with the rest of the team and I'd rather see them be conservative then break the bank on a top tier free agent that isn't your ideal guy in every way.

Some fans seems to get so bent out of shape about our FA approach that they end up losing it and bashing the franchise big time over guys like...Nick Fairley like he was gonna make or break our season. LOL
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 10:57 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Some fans seems to get so bent out of shape about our FA approach that they end up losing it and bashing the franchise big time over guys like...Nick Fairley like he was gonna make or break our season. LOL

I remember that. What an annoying few weeks. 

I personally like our FA approach. We take care of our own and I think players appreciate the loyalty. I don't need a big name FA every year, I'd much rather build through the draft and sign depth from the FA.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 11:23 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: I remember that. What an annoying few weeks. 

I personally like our FA approach. We take care of our own and I think players appreciate the loyalty. I don't need a big name FA every year, I'd much rather build through the draft and sign depth from the FA.

Not one person on here is asking for that, and everyone agrees on "building through the draft".

Honestly, there are no teams that try to build through FA. All teams try to build through the draft. The problem is that some teams aren't good at drafting, thus they have plenty of $ to spend in FA. That's what gives FA such a bad rep. Bad teams are the ones who are drafting poorly and spending tons of $ in FA. Then people such as yourself ignore that FA is also utilized by many good teams, just not to the extent of teams like the Redskins and Bucs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 02:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not one person on here is asking for that, and everyone agrees on "building through the draft".

Honestly, there are no teams that try to build through FA. All teams try to build through the draft. The problem is that some teams aren't good at drafting, thus they have plenty of $ to spend in FA. That's what gives FA such a bad rep. Bad teams are the ones who are drafting poorly and spending tons of $ in FA. Then people such as yourself ignore that FA is also utilized by many good teams, just not to the extent of teams like the Redskins and Bucs.

Right. Most of us want a solid FA addition who can be a contributor in more than just being present (AJ Hawk) 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 02:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Right. Most of us want a solid FA addition who can be a contributor in more than just being present (AJ Hawk) 

Exactly. I don't expect marquee FA signings. Not with this roster. I would like to see a mid-tier signing at a weak spot every now and then.

AJ Hawk was a bottom tier signing. 31 years old and likely washed up. Signed for peanuts.

I don't mind a signing like that as long as it's an afterthought rather than a highlight.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 03:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly. I don't expect marquee FA signings. Not with this roster. I would like to see a mid-tier signing at a weak spot every now and then.

AJ Hawk was a bottom tier signing. 31 years old and likely washed up. Signed for peanuts.

I don't mind a signing like that as long as it's an afterthought rather than a highlight.
See... This is exactly what I'm talking about Shake.

It's like speaking to a brick wall about FA.

What's so really hard to underunderstand for these posters?

Just to wish for a mid-tier FA that is younger and better than Hawk and an experienced Center who could solidify the line would have made most happy.

That's two signings to supplement the team that could have made impacts.

Yet we still have people "turtling" for free agents.

What a damn joke.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote