Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McConnell says bill that would make Election Day a federal holiday is a ‘power grab’
(02-05-2019, 10:11 AM)michaelsean Wrote:  You don't get to the top of the House or Senate (I didn't mean the top of anything) by being a good guy.  

Accurate. You need to be cutthroat to make it to the top in that environment. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-05-2019, 11:38 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Accurate. You need to be cutthroat to make it to the top in that environment. 

You don't have to a soulless bastard who doesn't mind comparisons to those who turned a blind eye to Hitler.

And even if I accepted that that is what he "had" to do it doesn't make it right or make me dislike him anymore than I do for being that way.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-05-2019, 11:41 AM)GMDino Wrote: You don't have to a soulless bastard who doesn't mind comparisons to those who turned a blind eye to Hitler.

And even if I accepted that that is what he "had" to do it doesn't make it right or make me dislike him anymore than I do for being that way.

I don't know where the Hitler stuff played in, but I agree with what Michaelsean was saying about all Congressional leaders needing to be tough to make it where they are. 

(02-05-2019, 06:23 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I don't know where the Hitler stuff played in, but I agree with what Michaelsean was saying about all Congressional leaders needing to be tough to make it where they are. 

It's in the podcast I linked.

Tough is one thing.  Soulless, willing to ignore all ethics and morals is another.
(02-05-2019, 06:36 PM)GMDino Wrote: It's in the podcast I linked.

Tough is one thing.  Soulless, willing to ignore all ethics and morals is another.

Michaelsean's posts came before you linked the podcast, so I don't think he was endorsing anything related to Hitler. 

(02-05-2019, 08:39 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Michaelsean's posts came before you linked the podcast, so I don't think he was endorsing anything related to Hitler. 

I don't think he was either.  I was just reinforcing that that was what set me off against MM.  There's a difference between being tough and standing up for what you think is right and NOt refuting a comparison like that about yourself.
(02-05-2019, 11:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: I don't think he was either.  I was just reinforcing that that was what set me off against MM.  There's a difference between being tough and standing up for what you think is right and NOt refuting a comparison like that about yourself.

You see I think it's more than tough and standing up for what you believe.  I think they will go after someone in their own party as easily as someone in the other party.  You can say McConnell is worse than the rest, I can't stand the guy even without the Hitler stuff you posted, but I think they all are ruthless and more interested in their power than anything else.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-06-2019, 09:10 AM)michaelsean Wrote: You see I think it's more than tough and standing up for what you believe.  I think they will go after someone in their own party as easily as someone in the other party.  You can say McConnell is worse than the rest, I can't stand the guy even without the Hitler stuff you posted, but I think they all are ruthless and more interested in their power than anything else.  

I had this discussion at a meeting last night.  Across the political spectrum we agreed that you don't have to be a ruthless asshole to be in charge or to reach the top.  Maybe that's just people I know.

The refusal to say "no" when compared to a man who helped put Hitler in more power but rather to say he'll do whatever he has too is what bothers me.  Even if it's true a good person would be taken aback at the comparison and at the very least a good politician would have the sense to distance himself from it.

McConnell is neither.