Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McConnell wants to remove hemp from controlled substance list.
http://local12.com/news/nation-world/mcconnell-wants-hemp-removed-from-controlled-substance-list

Not the full step many support but it’s a step in that direction. Hard to be upset.

[quore]McConnell wants hemp removed from controlled substance list

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) - The U.S. Senate's top leader said Monday he wants to bring hemp production back into the national mainstream by removing it from the list of controlled substances.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told a group of hemp advocates in his home state of Kentucky that he will introduce legislation to legalize the crop as an agricultural commodity. The versatile crop has been grown on an experimental basis in a number of states in recent years.

"It's now time to take the final step and make this a legal crop," McConnell said.

Kentucky has been at the forefront of hemp's comeback. Kentucky agriculture officials recently approved about 12,000 acres to be grown in the state this year, and 57 Kentucky processors are turning the raw product into a multitude of products.

Growing hemp without a federal permit has long been banned due to its classification as a controlled substance related to marijuana. Hemp and marijuana are the same species, but hemp has a negligible amount of THC, the psychoactive compound that gives marijuana users a high.

Hemp got a limited reprieve with the 2014 federal Farm Bill, which allows state agriculture departments to designate hemp projects for research and development. So far, more than 30 states have authorized hemp research.

McConnell acknowledged there was "some queasiness" about hemp when the 2014 Farm Bill cleared the way for states to regulate it for research and pilot programs. There's much broader understanding now that hemp is a "totally different" plant than its illicit cousin, he said.

"I think we've worked our way through the education process of making sure everybody understands this is really a different plant," the Republican said.

McConnell said he plans to have those discussions with Attorney General Jeff Sessions to emphasize the differences between the plants. The Trump administration has taken a tougher stance on marijuana.[/quote]
(03-26-2018, 03:49 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://local12.com/news/nation-world/mcconnell-wants-hemp-removed-from-controlled-substance-list

Not the full step many support but it’s a step in that direction.  Hard to be upset.  

Quote:McConnell wants hemp removed from controlled substance list

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) - The U.S. Senate's top leader said Monday he wants to bring hemp production back into the national mainstream by removing it from the list of controlled substances.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told a group of hemp advocates in his home state of Kentucky that he will introduce legislation to legalize the crop as an agricultural commodity. The versatile crop has been grown on an experimental basis in a number of states in recent years.

"It's now time to take the final step and make this a legal crop," McConnell said.

Kentucky has been at the forefront of hemp's comeback. Kentucky agriculture officials recently approved about 12,000 acres to be grown in the state this year, and 57 Kentucky processors are turning the raw product into a multitude of products.

Growing hemp without a federal permit has long been banned due to its classification as a controlled substance related to marijuana. Hemp and marijuana are the same species, but hemp has a negligible amount of THC, the psychoactive compound that gives marijuana users a high.

Hemp got a limited reprieve with the 2014 federal Farm Bill, which allows state agriculture departments to designate hemp projects for research and development. So far, more than 30 states have authorized hemp research.

McConnell acknowledged there was "some queasiness" about hemp when the 2014 Farm Bill cleared the way for states to regulate it for research and pilot programs. There's much broader understanding now that hemp is a "totally different" plant than its illicit cousin, he said.

"I think we've worked our way through the education process of making sure everybody understands this is really a different plant," the Republican said.

McConnell said he plans to have those discussions with Attorney General Jeff Sessions to emphasize the differences between the plants. The Trump administration has taken a tougher stance on marijuana.

My complain would be that it took too long.  

Now to figure out how he is personally gaining from it since that is the only way he would make this move.  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Hell, even Goodlatte has been for this for a while.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-26-2018, 03:49 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://local12.com/news/nation-world/mcconnell-wants-hemp-removed-from-controlled-substance-list

Not the full step many support but it’s a step in that direction.  Hard to be upset.  

You have no idea who you are dealing with
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-26-2018, 04:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You have no idea who you are dealing with

Is it hard being so negative or does that come easily?

Every other response was positive.
(03-26-2018, 04:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You have no idea who you are dealing with

Hey I thought I would post something these guys liked to let them have a break from moaning about trump. Lol
Wink
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(03-26-2018, 04:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: My complain would be that it took too long.  

Now to figure out how he is personally gaining from it since that is the only way he would make this move.  Ninja

Kentucky would be one of the leading hemp growers in the country.

It never should have been on the controlled substance list to begin with, but DuPont didn’t want the competition for its new invention, nylon.

Besides all the products you can make and eat out of hemp, my favorite fact is, 1 acre of hemp can produce as much oxygen as 25 acres of forest. Also, it replaces nutrients like nitrogen back into the soil, it can be grown in dry and wet climates and is naturally pest and disease resistant. Pretty amazing plant.
(03-26-2018, 04:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: My complain would be that it took too long.  

(03-26-2018, 05:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: Is it hard being so negative or does that come easily?

Every other response was positive.

TeeHee
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-26-2018, 07:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: TeeHee

Okey dokey.
Is it worth it? I mean is it worth giving Woody Harrelson a win/
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

**** that turtle necked S.O.B.  NOW he wants to take up Gatewood's crusade?  PPPPFFFFFTTTTT!!!!!  FOR DECADES, he and his cronies used this as a way to demonize Galbraith to the Kentucky voters, now, all the sudden, he's on board?  I guess there's some big potential donor wanting to gobble up land and grow hemp now.  

If Mitch and the rest of the criminal syndicate had gotten on this sooner, we may have been able to turn our family farm to profit in order to save it when my father had his strokes.  It would have been about the only sustainable cash crop that could have been grown there (old cattle farm in hill country).

I guess they were right, Gatewood WAS about 25 years ahead of his time.  Too bad our "leaders" were too tied up in timber, petro-chemical, and big oil interest monies to listen then.

I will be anxious to see who is behind this push, because one thing's for certain....if it involves Mitch, there's a payout somewhere.  He sure couldn't be bothered with water shortages in Eastern Kentucky.

"Better send those refunds..."

(03-26-2018, 07:41 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Kentucky would be one of the leading hemp growers in the country.

It never should have been on the controlled substance list to begin with, but DuPont didn’t want the competition for its new invention, nylon.

Besides all the products you can make and eat out of hemp, my favorite fact is, 1 acre of hemp can produce as much oxygen as 25 acres of forest. Also, it replaces nutrients like nitrogen back into the soil, it can be grown in dry and wet climates and is naturally pest and disease resistant. Pretty amazing plant.

Quick growing tap root aides in erosion as well, perfect for crop rotations.  Also consumes more CO2 than any plant on the planet.  It's actually a crime that it's illegal.

You are spot on about DuPont, but you left out Randolph-Hearst and his timber interests. Wink

Fun Fact----during WWII, when....you know....Uncle Sam needed hemp, Nicholasville, Ky was one of the world's largest hemp producers for a brief time.

Kentucky was the largest producer of hemp in the country and hemp was its chief cash crop until 1915.

Trumps “let’s crack down on pot” hasn’t played well in the south. McConnell is trying to compromise and at least keep a few people happy while implying the gop isn’t just restricting pot at the behest of big pharma.
(03-27-2018, 10:31 AM)Benton Wrote: Trumps “let’s crack down on pot” hasn’t played well in the south. McConnell is trying to compromise and at least keep a few people happy while implying the gop isn’t just restricting pot at the behest of big pharma.

.....but hemp isn't pot.  Never has been, never will be.  In fact, if you tried to conceal a plot of marijuana in a hemp field, not only would it stick out like a sore thumb, in as little as two generations, the hemp will cross pollinate the pot and render it totally useless for getting high.  Mitch was one of the people who helped perpetuate this myth through the years.

(03-27-2018, 11:03 AM)Wyche Wrote: .....but hemp isn't pot.  Never has been, never will be.  In fact, if you tried to conceal a plot of marijuana in a hemp field, not only would it stick out like a sore thumb, in as little as two generations, the hemp will cross pollinate the pot and render it totally useless for getting high.  Mitch was one of the people who helped perpetuate this myth through the years.

THIS RIGHT HERE.

We can't let scumbags like mcconnell all of a sudden appropriate logic when he's been stifling progress in the name of personal gain for DECADES.

He should be tarred and feathered for pretending to be in the right when all he is doing is lifting his boot from the head of the drowning farmer which this opportunity would have benefited DECADES ago.
(03-27-2018, 03:27 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: THIS RIGHT HERE.

We can't let scumbags like mcconnell all of a sudden appropriate logic when he's been stifling progress in the name of personal gain for DECADES.

He should be tarred and feathered for pretending to be in the right when all he is doing is lifting his boot from the head of the drowning farmer which this opportunity would have benefited DECADES ago.

There isn't a politician I loathe anymore than Mitch McConnell......Matt Bevin is creeping up on him though.

As Gatewood used to say, Mitch and Newt were "aliens, not conservatives. They never met a bloated police state they didn't like."....often calling McConnell a ghoul.  He often ranted against the "petrochemical-pharmaceutical-military-industrial-transnational-corporate-fascist-elite SOBs."

good!
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]