Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McDaniels says No Thanks
Apparently Josh McDaniels has declined to be interviewed by the Bengals.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/josh-mcdaniels-reportedly-rejects-bengals-request-for-a-head-coach-interview/
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 06:33 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Apparently Josh McDaniels has declined to be interviewed by the Bengals.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/josh-mcdaniels-reportedly-rejects-bengals-request-for-a-head-coach-interview/

Oh well.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Good. If I remember right it was a mess when he was the head coach in Denver wasn’t it?
Reply/Quote
Good. We dodged a bullet on that one. After the fiasco with the Colts last year the only person I wanted less was Hue.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 07:06 PM)Jojo the Circus Boy Wrote: Good. We dodged a bullet on that one. After the fiasco with the Colts last year the only person I wanted less was Hue.

The Colts owner probably wanted to snort a line off his ass, or something.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 06:34 PM)McC Wrote: Oh well.

Yep...

jason says didn't want your punk ass around here anyway.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Man, it just breaks my heart, that a wishy-washy guy like McDaniel doesn't want to interview with my favorite team. Rolleyes

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Probably a very good coordinator but don't think he showed he's got what it takes to be a hc .
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 07:46 PM)Benton Wrote: Probably a very good coordinator but don't think he showed he's got what it takes to be a hc .

He certainly did fail in grand fashion the last time around.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Smart move by him. I won’t lose any sleep over it though, not a huge fan.
Reply/Quote
Will make a good storyline when we win conference next year and knock New England out of the playoffs. Bamn McDaniels. Eat that!

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 07:51 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Smart move by him. I won’t lose any sleep over it though, not a huge fan.

Yeah, it's a case of he's happy and we're happy.  

My only concern with this, and it's a slight one at most, is that this might cause a bit of a ripple.  I believe it was Mo yesterday who was discussing that possibility:  Someone high profile rejects us and other high profile candidates see that and think "Hmmm....he might be on to something.  Now, I can reject the Bengals without looking so bad, 'cause, that other guy."   Now, Mike's reputation precedes him, so, any rejections from this point may have been already thought out/planned.  And, in the rest of the world, blowing off a Bengal interview might be seen as a prudent move for your career, not a reason for consternation.  But, now it's happened and that brought Mo's question to mind.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 06:33 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Apparently Josh McDaniels has declined to be interviewed by the Bengals.

Maybe he will change his mind.

Again.

Smirk
Reply/Quote
No shock there. Mike Brown will be a deterrent to anyone who is sought after.
Reply/Quote
Funny...I said the same thing about McDaniels.....No. Thanks.
Reply/Quote
This is probably a good thing in the long run. I think of Josh McDaniels as a parallel to Matt Patricia.
Reply/Quote
He was like hell naw lol
Reply/Quote
Isn't he pretty much Head Coach In Waiting in NE? I thought that was part of the deal with him stiffing the Colts?
Reply/Quote
It's about perception here. McDaniels is perceived by many fans to be a back stabber, wishy washy or what have you and there's the perception also about his last term in Denver. His time in Denver was quite some time ago in football years which doesn't necessarily mean he's learned absolutely nothing since then so that's where the perception comes in. Fans perceive him as a loser despite being the OC for a very successful franchise while on the same hand many fans might perceive another guy from another team with even less experience and a lesser winning record as the better candidate.
There's nothing that says every coach from losing teams is unqualified to win. We've seen several coaches leave Cincinnati to go to other teams and still not really win. Zimmer comes to mind. Many here thought Minnesota was on the fast track to win the super bowl, but of course that hasn't happened. Some thought Jay Gruden was going to turn Washington into a juggernaut as well and even a few thought Hue would turn the Browns into a powerhouse.  Thinking of perception, last place Raiders picked up Jay's brother for reasons I still don't get. Many fans perceived him as the quintessential football genius despite the fact that his last job before going to the Raiders was selling beer on commercials. 
The popular perception seems to be that Hue is instant failure personified and he's directly responsible for ALL their failures since they began winning with the last guy.(name escapes me for now)
The way I see it is that every coach in the NFL from superbowl winners to cellar dwellers comes from winning systems somewhere else along the way just like most players in the league. Nearly all of them have tasted winning big at some level be it high school, college or even the league itself, but once they're with a losing team for any time they seem to become perceived as always being losers from there forward. That's unfortunate. 
I think many very talented people have been burnt by the stain of having been with losing teams which doesn't necessarily make them losers and likewise, some very lousy coaches have ridden the coat tails of better coaches, risen up some ranks only to get exposed after it's too late..
I was heading somewhere with all this, but seem to have lost focus, but the bottom line is most of this is purely perception based and little to do with whether these guys are actually great football coaches.
We'll just have to wait and see how things pan out in the coming years. It is possible, though improbable that the Bengals hit pay dirt and land a great coach who can take us to the promised land, but if they do it won't be because of perception. It'll be because someone actually did their job right and found the right guy(s) for the job of bringing a championship to Cincinnati for once. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 10:14 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Isn't he pretty much Head Coach In Waiting in NE?  I thought that was part of the deal with him stiffing the Colts?

This.  He reportedly has been promised the NE job when Belichick (eventually) retires, so it doesn't really surprise me that he turned us down.  Nor does it particularly bother me, considering the mess he made in Indy, quitting after he had already hired assistants, etc.  I'm actually kinda glad Reich was able to get everything up and running there, making the playoffs despite the cluster-f McDaniels left in his wake.
Reply/Quote