Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McShay predicts Bengals' first 3 picks
I know the mock I just posted looks alot different than this

Quote:Cincinnati Bengals

Round 1 (9): Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
Round 2 (41): JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
Round 3 (73): Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma

but I think I could be ok with it. I have my doubts about Barnett, I'm honest. If he could be as productive for us as he was at UT, breaking Reggie White's record, I'd be ecstatic!  He has one hell of an outside move, but that's about it. Otherwise, I think he's pretty average. Could we help him develop other aspects of his game? How high is his ceiling? What's our history or Jacob Burney's history of developing young talent on the dline (or anywhere)? I'd take Foster over him. I know I have a history of wanting us to take a top LB in the draft to replace Maualuga, but I think I could name 8-10 other players whom I'd take over Barnett. I'll have an open mind about him and wish the best for/from him. And I'd be happy to be proven wrong. I think it's boom or bust with this guy. It's a gamble. Could pay off, but which names would we leave on the draft board after we took Barnett? Is it worth the risk?

Juju looks like a perfect match with AJ Green. He's physical. He's strong. Doesn't go down easy. Works hard for YAC. And he's got plenty of speed. 

Samaje Perine is a guy I hadn't pad attention to. I did a little poking around on YouTube and found some footage. The dude's a truck with a high gear. He just flattens DBs when they try to tackle him. He can lower his shoulder, and he drives hard with his legs trough tackles. There's no arm tackling this guy. 

I think we'd be alot better offensively, but we'd have to look for a quality Olineman at 4a, and maybe another at 4b or 5a. Maybe our Oline will be alright, but maybe it won't. But I doubt that we won't miss Whit and Zeitler. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Let me preface this by saying that as an older (ahem) gentleman I no longer dream about the things I once did. But a couple of months ago I had a dream in which we selected Samaje Perine in the third round. You can go ahead and write it down. We WILL take Perine in the 3rd. When I receive visions of other picks I will let everyone know.
Reply/Quote
It is a little early for that RB and I don't care for JuJu at all.

I would much rather go for Curtis Samuel and a G like Isaac Asiata.
Reply/Quote
I'd be okay with the draft. Perine is a a rotational back so if we are going to stay with committee and expect Gio back it makes sense. Shuster's ceiling to me is a high end #2 in the league who can moonlight as a #1. He is never going to be a top level guy but can be a very good Robin to a Batman like AJ Green. I am not sure though that he really brings you a ton more than a Cody Core or Tyler boyd, but it does add another option.

I was down on Barnett early, but the more I watch him the more I realize that Barnett may actually have the best technique of the guys at the top. When you start looking at his measurables you question how he got the production, but then you turn on the tape and realize he was doing it with sound technique and that sound technique has a better chance of translating over physical attributes. I now feel like Barnett is the safest of the 1st round rushers in my mind, but may have a slightly lower ceiling. I am okay with that as I don't think you have to have an all pro at 9, but you have to have a pro bowl level player and he can be that.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 08:03 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Let me preface this by saying that as an older (ahem) gentleman I no longer dream about the things I once did.  But a couple of months ago I had a dream in which we selected Samaje Perine in the third round.  You can go ahead and write it down.  We WILL take Perine in the 3rd.  When I receive visions of other picks I will let everyone know.

Well that's enough for me...book it.

I would dig this draft.  Juju is on my want list.  Can't argue with Samaje in the 3rd.  If they take Barnett at 9 I will trust them on it
Reply/Quote
I hope he's wrong. I was excited about juju during bowl season. There are probably better wrs in 2 or 3. Perine seems like a reach in 3.
Reply/Quote
Im not too sure about this. I think Perine is a beast. Dude breaks tackles and he's strong as shit too. Would prefer OJ in the first if 3 DE's are already gone and maybe D.Walker in the 2nd. But at the end of the day either way would make us better. So why not.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 08:03 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Let me preface this by saying that as an older (ahem) gentleman I no longer dream about the things I once did. But a couple of months ago I had a dream in which we selected Samaje Perine in the third round. You can go ahead and write it down. We WILL take Perine in the 3rd. When I receive visions of other picks I will let everyone know.

If we do in fact take Perine in the 3rd, I will have a few questions for you when the draft is over.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 08:03 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Let me preface this by saying that as an older (ahem) gentleman I no longer dream about the things I once did.  But a couple of months ago I had a dream in which we selected Samaje Perine in the third round.  You can go ahead and write it down.  We WILL take Perine in the 3rd.  When I receive visions of other picks I will let everyone know.

Could you dream me up some winning power ball numbers too ?

Would rather see a OL taken somewhere in top 3 picks but could live with it.

Too many holes, we need an extra pick in 2nd somehow, cough, cough, AJM. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2017, 12:27 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Could you dream me up some winning power ball numbers too ?

Yeah Asiata or Moton in the 2nd would be nice...with the extra pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2017, 12:27 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Could you dream me up some winning power ball numbers too ?

I agree. We need to at least get back into the 3rd before the run on comp picks. Still can't believe there are 11 comp picks at the end of the 3rd. The positions I would like to see us address in the first 3 rounds are DE, RB, OL, LB I would be fine with a TE/WR In place of LBer. I've given up on C cause I just don't see them drafting one before the 4th round anyway. I think this draft is going to be insane with trades now that comp picks can be delt. Not sure if it will make the draft more exciting or be such a mess to where they go back to not being able to trade them again. I guess we will see.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2017, 12:47 AM)pulses Wrote: Yeah Asiata or Moton in the 2nd would be nice...with the extra pick.

If there was a way to get one of the OT prospects that would be a good fit at Guard (Cam Robinson, Forrest Lamp) by trading AJM for that pick....

OK, here is the scenario:  One of those two players doesn't go in Rd 1.  We know there will be a lot of jockeying with the Browns to get the first pick of Day 2.  We could offer AJM after Rd 1 for that pick if we know that player is there!

Robinson or Lamp could push Ced at LT and if Ced somehow wins the job, they move to RG to be our future there.  

Drafting a guard only helps ensure depth behind Andre Smith and Westerman...not much of a front line improvement.  If Robinson steals the LT from Ced, we know we will not need to extend Ced and he becomes a FA that someone will overpay and we would likely get a compensatory pick that everyone at One Paul Brown Way seems to get very excited about.

More importantly, the weakness becomes a strength overnight.  

I just don't see taking Ramcyzk or Robinson at #9.  

Give me the best playmaker in the draft (Ross) at #9, Trade AJM after Day 1 for the #33 pick and get Forrest Lamp, and then take Jordan Willis or Demarcus Walker with our original 2nd rounder.  

You have Ross, Lamp, and Willis with an additional 9 picks in the next 6 rounds to address RB, LB, DT, TE, CB, etc.  
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2017, 08:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If there was a way to get one of the OT prospects that would be a good fit at Guard (Cam Robinson, Forrest Lamp) by trading AJM for that pick....

OK, here is the scenario:  One of those two players doesn't go in Rd 1.  We know there will be a lot of jockeying with the Browns to get the first pick of Day 2.  We could offer AJM after Rd 1 for that pick if we know that player is there!

Robinson or Lamp could push Ced at LT and if Ced somehow wins the job, they move to RG to be our future there.  

Drafting a guard only helps ensure depth behind Andre Smith and Westerman...not much of a front line improvement.  If Robinson steals the LT from Ced, we know we will not need to extend Ced and he becomes a FA that someone will overpay and we would likely get a compensatory pick that everyone at One Paul Brown Way seems to get very excited about.

Give me the best playmaker in the draft (Ross) at #9, Trade AJM after Day 1 for the #33 pick and get Forrest Lamp, and then take Jordan Willis or Demarcus Walker with our original 2nd rounder.  

You have Ross, Lamp, and Willis with an additional 9 picks in the next 6 rounds to address RB, LB, DT, TE, CB, etc.  
When Ross turned in the all Time fast 40......he shot up.  So?    So I see AJ,Ross,Eifort and in the slot, Boyd or LeFall and that gives Andy a nice bunch of targets. I think Fisher could emerge as the LT. Ced?  Maybe or maybe he'd thrive as a G. Smith can do RT.  That said, we'd want to add a OL guy who's got upside...even if a sleeper or project.  We want a SPEED RUSH guy.  If we traded AJM we'd pick a QB somewhere.   In SOME respects... we want to look for the guy who's the " Best Available, the guy who could have gone higher. I remember Bill Walsh drafts.... he was not just scoring on rd 1... he had drafts that were LOADED.  The Peak Niner teams had MANY stars who had been rd 3 and later.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2017, 08:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If there was a way to get one of the OT prospects that would be a good fit at Guard (Cam Robinson, Forrest Lamp) by trading AJM for that pick....

The problem is I like Asiata and Moton better than Robinson. I think Lamp goes in round 1.  I don't think we'll draft an OT high this year with the class being pretty weak....i see one later on who we may be able to develop. (davenport,Ugokwe...etc)
Reply/Quote
lurker first post. I just went and watched a 7 minute video of Samaje and all I can say is "wow". He looks like Zeke Elliot breaking tackle after tackle. I would take him all day long. I know nothing else about him except that I want him on my team.

Like most I fear Barnett will simply be an average pro due to lack of superb physical skill set, but who knows. If he learns some other technique he could be solid. Is it worth the risk at 9 to get an average Defensive End? I have seen other scouts who think he will be great so who knows.

Allen is the guy you watched during the season and never imagined the Bengals would get a chance to draft at 9. I know the criticism about being a 3-4 End but hell, if you draft him you change to a 3-4 or whatever. He's just a beast that makes plays. I doubt he makes it to us though.

I would be happy with Howard.

I am really torn at what to do if Hooker slips which I think will happen.
Reply/Quote

Have you had any dreams about the Kentucky Derby?
Reply/Quote
After seeing that Eifert is once again going to possibly miss part of the season due to injury, I am all in for Howard at #9.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 08:01 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: After seeing that Eifert is once again going to possibly miss part of the season due to injury, I am all in for Howard at #9.

This pick intrigues me.  It is kind of like insurance for Eifert, which the Bengals thought they had in Ced for Whit, but....well, that's another story.  I think Howard is a stud, and he doesn't have a ton of wear and tear, as Bama's spread didn't really utilize him as a primary weapon.  He sure showed up in big games, though.  I don't like what I hear about him as a blocker.  To be the #9 pick overall as a TE, you should be off the charts in every facet of the game.

My real issue is that the upcoming season, we would have him and Eifert together.  #9 overall has to be a starter.  Does Zampese even have a multiple TE formation?  I never saw it despite the surprising talent in Uzomah.  

I would rather go with Uzomah and Eifert, and hope Kroft looks dramatically different when completely healthy.  

Give me a guy that can take the top off the defense like no WR we have had since Chris Henry.  Give me a guy that would scare the shit out of opposing defenses.  Give me John Ross.  To make it even better, slide down a few picks, get an additional 2nd rounder we can use on one of the top Guard prospects and THEN get Ross.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 08:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This pick intrigues me.  It is kind of like insurance for Eifert, which the Bengals thought they had in Ced for Whit, but....well, that's another story.  I think Howard is a stud, and he doesn't have a ton of wear and tear, as Bama's spread didn't really utilize him as a primary weapon.  He sure showed up in big games, though.  I don't like what I hear about him as a blocker.  To be the #9 pick overall as a TE, you should be off the charts in every facet of the game.

My real issue is that the upcoming season, we would have him and Eifert together.  #9 overall has to be a starter.  Does Zampese even have a multiple TE formation?  I never saw it despite the surprising talent in Uzomah.  

I would rather go with Uzomah and Eifert, and hope Kroft looks dramatically different when completely healthy.  

Give me a guy that can take the top off the defense like no WR we have had since Chris Henry.  Give me a guy that would scare the shit out of opposing defenses.  Give me John Ross.  To make it even better, slide down a few picks, get an additional 2nd rounder we can use on one of the top Guard prospects and THEN get Ross.
You make a good argument for Ross.  I don't think we can count on having Eifert early in the season and I'm tired of him missing so much playing time.  I definitely would not give him a big contract after this year.   Right now we can't go with Uzomah and Eifert because Eifert's hurt again and we need to let him move on after this season and build for next year. He's not worth the big payday he is sure to want. If we don't take Howard, then we need to look at taking a TE later.  This is supposed to be a strong draft for TEs.  
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 02:32 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: You make a good argument for Ross.  I don't think we can count on having Eifert early in the season and I'm tired of him missing so much playing time.  I definitely would not give him a big contract after this year.   Right now we can't go with Uzomah and Eifert because Eifert's hurt again and we need to let him move on after this season and build for next year.  He's not worth the big payday he is sure to want.  If we don't take Howard, then we need to look at taking a TE later.  This is supposed to be a strong draft for TEs.  

That it is...I haven't totally given up on Kroft.  He was supposedly dealing with a lot of injuries last year but tried to play through them.  I really liked what I saw out of Uzomah, and the forgotten man is Hewitt.  Dude catches everything thrown at him, yet got $5 million last year to mostly sit on the bench.  I don't get it.  He got about half a million per touch.  

I think our base formation should be 3 WR, 1TE, and 1RB.  That is what Zampese has been under the longest (Brat and Gruden) so I think he will have more designs for that.  If Eifert isn't careful, Uzomah might steal his thunder and he would become another...wait for it....compensatory pick! 
Reply/Quote