Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mccarron for jones
(08-18-2016, 12:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Draft picks won't help us win any games if Dalton gets injured again.

I don't think many of you realize how important it is to have a good back up QB.

I did consider that, to be honest.  But I'm not overly concerned that he gets hurt again this year.  So in my mind, I don't put having a quality backup QB that high on my list of important components to this year's team.  I completely agree about generally being a huge asset to have a backup QB who can win games for you, but in this hypothetical scenario, I would be OK with getting some good draft picks in the future for McCarron this season.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 12:24 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: I did consider that, to be honest.  But I'm not overly concerned that he gets hurt again this year.  So in my mind, I don't put having a quality backup QB that high on my list of important components to this year's team.  I completely agree about generally being a huge asset to have a backup QB who can win games for you, but in this hypothetical scenario, I would be OK with getting some good draft picks in the future for McCarron this season.

No way man. Look no further than Dallas last year. I don't think McCarron is great and can win games for us, but he's certainly capable of not losing them for us. I say we keep him til he walks., Or right before he can walk at the earliest.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 01:12 PM)jason Wrote: No way man. Look no further than Dallas last year. I don't think McCarron is great and can win games for us, but he's certainly capable of not losing them for us. I say we keep him til he walks., Or right before he can walk at the earliest.

Durability-wise, Tony Romo and Andy Dalton are at opposite ends of the spectrum.  I definitely understand where you're coming from insofar as your view of the importance of a backup QB, I can't see the Dallas scenario from last year being overly relevant to our season this year.  If Andy had accrued the injury history of Tony Romo at this point in his career, I'd be screaming to keep McCarron.  But in 2016/17, I just don't see the need being as great as a couple of round 2/3 picks in the future...   but that's just my take on the thing.  I can certainly see a point to be made for keeping a McCarron around too
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 01:18 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: Durability-wise, Tony Romo and Andy Dalton are at opposite ends of the spectrum.  I definitely understand where you're coming from insofar as your view of the importance of a backup QB, I can't see the Dallas scenario from last year being overly relevant to our season this year.  If Andy had accrued the injury history of Tony Romo at this point in his career, I'd be screaming to keep McCarron.  But in 2016/17, I just don't see the need being as great as a couple of round 2/3 picks in the future...   but that's just my take on the thing.  I can certainly see a point to be made for keeping a McCarron around too

Yeah Dalton has been durable but in the nfl you never know what can happen. I would rather have a QB backing up Dalton that can actually step in know our offense and play at a good enough level that the rest of the talent can carry the team if need be.  Not saying McCarron cant make plays cause he can and will get better with more experience. 

McCarron has proven he can step in and play if needed.   When your comparing to a cardelle jones who is probly a 3rd string QB for the bills its not a good deal for us. if Dalton lost any time we would be in trouble I think.      More draft picks are good...  But even now we have quiet a few comps coming in 2017 and probly not enough roster room for all of them their rookie year either.
Reply/Quote
Id keep McCarron around until the last year of his contract, then trade him to a QB needy team.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 01:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yeah Dalton has been durable but in the nfl you never know what can happen. I would rather have a QB backing up Dalton that can actually step in know our offense and play at a good enough level that the rest of the talent can carry the team if need be.  Not saying McCarron cant make plays cause he can and will get better with more experience. 

McCarron has proven he can step in and play if needed.   When your comparing to a cardelle jones who is probly a 3rd string QB for the bills its not a good deal for us. if Dalton lost any time we would be in trouble I think.      More draft picks are good...  But even now we have quiet a few comps coming in 2017 and probly not enough roster room for all of them their rookie year either.

That's actually a good point, and one that I had forgotten.  In light of this new evidence, I have changed my thoughts on this.  Keep McCarron and scrap any trade deals for him, unless it is for a legit #2 WR, which would seem slightly unrealistic
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 01:44 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Id keep McCarron around until the last year of his contract, then trade him to a QB needy team.

That was generally the Green Bay and New England formula, although they would get the guy under contract THEN trade him. It gave them more leverage in the deal. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I must admit that when I read the OP, I thought: What Jones is he talking about?

Quite a few went through my head but none were 12 gague.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Um, seems pretty clear that the only reason for this thread is your want of Cardale Jones. I mean, you propose a 2nd, a 4th, and Cardale Jones for AJ McCarron. How is the 2nd rounder not mentioned in the title? "McCarron for 2nd rd + 4th rd and Jones". Yet it just says Jones. Gee, wonder why?

And the icing on the cake is that of all teams to propose a trade with, one who is willing to pony up that amount for AJ McCarron, you pick the Buffalo Bills? THEY JUST SIGNED TYROD TAYLOR TO A 96 MILLION DOLLAR DEAL LESS THAN A WEEK AGO! They still have former first round pick EJ Manuel for 3 more seasons too. Why in the hell would they want McCarron? To the point of unloading a 2nd, and a 4th, and Jones for him.

I mean, c'mon, man. Be better than this. This has nothing to do with us getting the appropriate value, looking at realistic trade partners, and discussing what makes sense or could work. You're an OSU homer, who wants Jones, and you just threw in some random picks attached to his name, so you could pretend like this is a legitimate talking point.

I'm honestly kinda wondering now if you're the guy that went nuts about us not taking Carlos Hyde.
Reply/Quote
McCarron for Forgetful Jones? Come on Mikey, make it happen!

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 12:16 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: No, No No

I'd be all for getting a few good draft picks for McCarron.  But keep Jones away from this team!  I am a Buckeye homer as much as the next guy, but even I could admit that Elliott was running all over everyone during that late season championship run.  And Devin Smith made Jones look good, IMO.  But the following season, we saw what Jones could do on a regular basis, which was be average, if that.  So nix the component where we get Jones, but keep the part with 2-3 quality draft picks (and they could even be in future years, too) and I think that would be a deal I would be on board with....
That is my point I feel he could be a good qb when he has a deep threat he did not have a deep threat in 2015
(08-18-2016, 12:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Draft picks won't help us win any games if Dalton gets injured again.

I don't think many of you realize how important it is to have a good back up QB.
He is not a backup he is a starter who is playing backup and we need to trade him and get something for him before he walks
(08-18-2016, 03:14 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Um, seems pretty clear that the only reason for this thread is your want of Cardale Jones. I mean, you propose a 2nd, a 4th, and Cardale Jones for AJ McCarron. How is the 2nd rounder not mentioned in the title? "McCarron for 2nd rd + 4th rd and Jones". Yet it just says Jones. Gee, wonder why?

And the icing on the cake is that of all teams to propose a trade with, one who is willing to pony up that amount for AJ McCarron, you pick the Buffalo Bills? THEY JUST SIGNED TYROD TAYLOR TO A 96 MILLION DOLLAR DEAL LESS THAN A WEEK AGO! They still have former first round pick EJ Manuel for 3 more seasons too. Why in the hell would they want McCarron? To the point of unloading a 2nd, and a 4th, and Jones for him.

I mean, c'mon, man. Be better than this. This has nothing to do with us getting the appropriate value, looking at realistic trade partners, and discussing what makes sense or could work. You're an OSU homer, who wants Jones, and you just threw in some random picks attached to his name, so you could pretend like this is a legitimate talking point.

I'm honestly kinda wondering now if you're the guy that went nuts about us not taking Carlos Hyde.

No never wanted Carlos Hyde and to your point they signed an average to below average qb who had 1 decent season to a insane deal who more thank likely they will cut in 2 seasons once he has his average to below average season. And maybe I should have put it in the title but the reason for the thread was this in exact terms. We are not gonna get more than 3 draft picks for mccarron when we trade him. One of those will have to be used on a backup qb. So only 2 draft picks in reality so out of all the backup and drafted I went with the bills bc thought after tryed and Manuel suck they might go for mccarron for jones trade with 2 draft picks while we get a legitimate back up qb with the strongest arm in the nfl yes I am a jones fan but doesn't mean I wanna waste a draft pick on another backup qb rather get 1 and 2 draft picks
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 07:51 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I agree with every part of it i just know we are going totrade mccarron obviously bc hes gonna be a starter so we will need a quality backup to replace mccarron and were not getting 4 draft picks like people on here thimk we will for mccarron

Maybe not 4 draft picks, but we have the #1 rated backup QB and someone that a team might be willing to trade a 2nd round selection for next season.  

I consider that a really good piece of work for the Bengals on a guy they drafted toward the end of the 5th round.  
Reply/Quote
Macaroni isn't going anywhere this year. We need a solid backup in case Dalton gets injured.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 08:00 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Maybe not 4 draft picks, but we have the #1 rated backup QB and someone that a team might be willing to trade a 2nd round selection for next season.  

I consider that a really good piece of work for the Bengals on a guy they drafted toward the end of the 5th round.  

Yeah but then we have to use that pick or a pick later in the draft for a back up so essentially the pick is wasted i would love to keep him but I just don't see that as a possibility 
Reply/Quote
We shouldn't trade McCarron. He is arguably one of the top 5 backup QBs in the league if not even top 3. With that being said, he does have a high value as backup who proved he can come in and win games (and as far as I am concerned, he won the Playoff game. That loss was a result of bad play calling).

Everyone needs to be aware of the Pittsburgh/Cincinnati rivalry of 2015. We successfully injured their starting QB, RB, and WR1. I don't feel comfortable trading away McCarron because we all know that Andy and AJ will be taking some late/questionable shots this season.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 10:48 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: We shouldn't trade McCarron. He is arguably one of the top 5 backup QBs in the league if not even top 3. With that being said, he does have a high value as backup who proved he can come in and win games (and as far as I am concerned, he won the Playoff game. That loss was a result of bad play calling).

Everyone needs to be aware of the Pittsburgh/Cincinnati rivalry of 2015. We successfully injured their starting QB, RB, and WR1. I don't feel comfortable trading away McCarron because we all know that Andy and AJ will be taking some late/questionable shots this season.

I think he is the top backup up problem is when his contract runs out someone will give him osweiler money to start which is what he wants that's why I think we should trade him and get something back while we still can
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 08:31 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Macaroni isn't going anywhere this year. We need a solid backup in case Dalton gets injured.

One might say... 

[Image: 1202251863_pastahead.jpg]

he passed the "stick test".

[Image: th?id=OIP.M1d713359fc12e3e6e4a96a0ec49e2...=243&h=167]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 11:02 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I think he is the top backup up problem is when his contract runs out someone will give him osweiler money to start which is what he wants that's why I think we should trade him and get something back while we still can

So lets say we are able to trade him before the beginning of the season. Week 2 comes along and he takes a cheap shot from Pittsburgh. He gets a substantial injury that pulls him out for the rest of the season. Are you ready to trust our season to Weinning or Licata? Nope. Don't get rid of McCarron. He is valuable but is a very important piece of our team. I'd rather see him ride pine all year and get nothing out of him than live through 14 weeks of agony. There is no guarantee that he is offered starter money anywhere, whereas he could easily become the highest paid back up if elects to stay here and have job security.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 03:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I must admit that when I read the OP, I thought: What Jones is he talking about?

Quite a few went through my head but none were 12 gague.

I'd trade him for Julio in a heartbeat Ninja
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I respect all the ideas when it cones to McCarron, but he's signed through next year. Unless one of the younger qbs really shines, McCarron will stay in stripes until his contract expires.
Reply/Quote