Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Media Bias
(11-02-2015, 03:28 PM)jj22 Wrote: The Defense certainly won the game. But I can't believe folks are holding fans emotions during the gameday thread against them. Really? It's our spot to go through the ups and downs of a game together. No need to attack folks for typing their emotions in real time. I'd be more concerned about the "fans" that didn't have any feelings about the way the game was unfolding... I for one appreciate the gameday thread. Some very passionate fans in there. Not just those who show up the next day after the game is over and won and bash those who had the audacity to worry about losing during the game....

people should learn to control their emotions and not let there emotions make them say things they shouldnt. Life Lesson applies more than to just football game days

I prefer to watch the entire game.... and not OVER react to every single snap or play.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 01:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Exactly, it is a 2 way street. Our Defense took advantage of Ben yesterday and his terrible throws.

Shawn Williams made an awesome Interception, one of the best i have seen.

At least a couple of those bad throws were due to pressure.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 04:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I still don;t understand what you are trying to say.

You don't think there is any difference between having a 12-4 season and losing in the playoffs and going 4-12?

Is that really what you are trying to say?  Is this because you never pay attention to any of the games until playoff time?

My original post was a reply to a person bashing Cincinnati Bengal fans "belief," but since you want to sway the context of the conversation...

In response to your reply, YES that is precisely what I am saying! Do you not hold a Juris Doctorate of Law? Can you not understand the English language and reasoning?

You may not agree with the position, but it is easily understandable and valid. In NFL play success is determined by one thing, the Lombardi trophy, a championship!

There is no difference between a 4-12 team and a 12-4 team dumped in the first round of the playoffs, neither will be Champion, and if that is truly the goal then both are failures!

You say you are an attorney, in a trial requiring a 12-0 jury verdict is there any difference between an 11-1 verdict or a 6-6 verdict?? Both lose, correct?
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 04:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Big difference is that 12-4 team should have a shot to win it all as they should be in the playoffs baring any super wierd seeding issues  while that 4-12 team was out of the running in october most like.

EXACTLY!!! Thats what this whole coversation is about!
Reply/Quote
Back to the actual sports media.

NFL Network actually did the most balanced job I saw except for Deion Sanders. They were cracking jokes about sportswriters having negative things about the Bengals and Andy pre-typed and saved to tweet as soon as an INT was thrown, but the butt of the jokes was the writers not the Bengals or Andy as their follow up was "with this team you have to wait till the closing gun before saying that stuff".

In their postgame they noted that the Bengals have been down in the fourth three times this year and won every time. They also (on the critical side) did take Hue to task for the offense trying to be too cute in the redzone. Steve Mariucci basically said we had the personnel to just line up in the redzone and play power football - so do it.

Now I did say "except for Deion Sanders" and that was true. He was his usual bombastic self making stupid statements about playoff games which his cohosts even called him on. So he was the bad point in an otherwise nicely done presentation.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 04:30 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: You may not agree with the position, but it is easily understandable and valid. In NFL play success is determined by one thing, the Lombardi trophy, a championship!

Sorry, but it is not easily understandable that there is no difference between a 4-12 team and a 12-4 team.

Does the NFL cancel all games when both teams have been eliminated from the playoffs?

Do experts rank the teams at the end of the year as #1 and 31 other teams tied for last?

The fans of a 12-4 team that makes the playoffs will be much happier than the fans of a 4-12 team.  To argue anything else is just absurd.

If what you said was true then no one would even be watching any of these regular season games.  They would not start watching until the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 05:10 PM)Joelist Wrote: Now I did say "except for Deion Sanders" and that was true. He was his usual bombastic self making stupid statements about playoff games which his cohosts even called him on. So he was the bad point in an otherwise nicely done presentation.

I saw that also.  the funny thing is that later in the evening when Deion does his top ten list he had the Bengals being undefeated as the #2 story in the league.  So I think he was trying to backtrack a little on what he said earlier.
Reply/Quote
So I guess glass-half-empty fans are now responsible for media's perception of the team? LOL

Look, it's really pretty simple. What's more likely?

A) The Bengals 25 year streak without a playoff win and 0-6 playoff record under Marvin Lewis are the reasons why media and fans have doubts? Or...

B) The media and fans are just a bunch of haters and look for any reason to bash the team. The 0-6 playoff record has no significance, and no other team except the Bengals would be doubted under the same circumstances?

The 7-0 start is amazing, but lets face it, the media has hopped on the Bengals' train before, only to get burned. Multiple times. If you can't see why they're a bit apprehensive, then the problem is you. Not "negative fans" or anything else. I've allowed myself to get my hopes up for playoff success...again. That said, I think we all have SOME doubt based on previous playoff games. In fact, I'd say that anyone who claims to have no doubts is a liar and has some kind of agenda.

Btw, it's ridiculous to bring up things said in a game day thread. Not everyone stays 100% calm and collected during games. Some get emotional and say ridiculous things that they wouldn't say if they waited and collected their thoughts.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 05:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So I guess glass-half-empty fans are now responsible for media's perception of the team? LOL

Look, it's really pretty simple. What's more likely?

A) The Bengals 25 year streak without a playoff win and 0-6 playoff record under Marvin Lewis are the reasons why media and fans have doubts? Or...

B) The media and fans are just a bunch of haters and look for any reason to bash the team. The 0-6 playoff record has no significance, and no other team except the Bengals would be doubted under the same circumstances? :rollseyes:

The 7-0 start is amazing, but lets face it, the media has hopped on the Bengals' train before, only to get burned. Multiple times. If you can't see why they're a bit apprehensive, then the problem is you. Not "negative fans" or anything else. I've allowed myself to get my hopes up for playoff success...again. That said, I think we all have SOME doubt based on previous playoff games. In fact, I'd say that anyone who claims to have no doubts is a liar and has some kind of agenda.

You are correct.

The point is that fans have no right to squeal about the media doing the exact same thing they are doing.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 03:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not just the gameday thread.  

Compared to the national media that everyone is crying about being biased, what percentage of Bengal fans here still say they can not believe that the Bengals can win a postseason game until they actually see it happen?

That's true.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 05:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are correct.

The point is that fans have no right to squeal about the media doing the exact same thing they are doing.

Agreed. What I'm adding is that the media and fans who express doubt aren't wrong for doing so. The Bengals have earned that doubt. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
You make a great point about how he says "right to Reggie Nelson" and "Bad decision by Andy". Great comparison and great proof of the bias
Season ticket holder since 2003. Lifetime Bengals fan, through thick and thin.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 05:10 PM)Joelist Wrote: Back to the actual sports media.

NFL Network actually did the most balanced job I saw except for Deion Sanders. They were cracking jokes about sportswriters having negative things about the Bengals and Andy pre-typed and saved to tweet as soon as an INT was thrown, but the butt of the jokes was the writers not the Bengals or Andy as their follow up was "with this team you have to wait till the closing gun before saying that stuff".

In their postgame they noted that the Bengals have been down in the fourth three times this year and won every time. They also (on the critical side) did take Hue to task for the offense trying to be too cute in the redzone. Steve Mariucci basically said we had the personnel to just line up in the redzone and play power football - so do it.

Now I did say "except for Deion Sanders" and that was true. He was his usual bombastic self making stupid statements about playoff games which his cohosts even called him on. So he was the bad point in an otherwise nicely done presentation.

You hit the nail on the head....and so did they....except for Deion.  Even Faulk was giving props.....and that's odd.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry, but it is not easily understandable that there is no difference between a 4-12 team and a 12-4 team.

Does the NFL cancel all games when both teams have been eliminated from the playoffs?

Do experts rank the teams at the end of the year as #1 and 31 other teams tied for last?

The fans of a 12-4 team that makes the playoffs will be much happier than the fans of a 4-12 team.  To argue anything else is just absurd.

If what you said was true then no one would even be watching any of these regular season games.  They would not start watching until the playoffs.

I believe the point here Fred was there are face painted fans that live and breathe for their football teams that see one winner every year and 31 losers, regardless of their records!

Not my cup of tea. Yes, every fan would love to see a championship, however, for me, being a fan since day one, its nice to finally have a favorite team that, for the most part, has a good chance to win every week.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry, but it is not easily understandable that there is no difference between a 4-12 team and a 12-4 team.

What??? YES, The NFL cancels all games for teams eliminated from the playoffs, as they have no more games that year!!! LOL LOL  Hilarious (thought you were smarter than that)

So, here is your list of NFL "success" other than a championship:

1. Because "experts" rank teams 1-32 for the upcoming year.
2. Because fans of a 12-4 team will be "happier"
3. Because no one would watch the regular season

Sorry, but we fundamentally disagree on what "success" is!!! Ninja Your life goals must be lofty!!  Yawn
Reply/Quote
Interesting to note that Michal Irwin has been solidly in the Bengals corner for several weeks. Far earlier than most of his companions. Lets be real....how many of us said "Bad Andy" when he threw that interception in the end zone. Its not bias to point that out...its reporting. The playoff history is real and will be real until post season..then the narrative will change to Super Bowl Champions

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 05:59 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: Sorry, but we fundamentally disagree on what "success" is!!! Ninja Your life goals must be lofty!!  Yawn

Have fun spending your entire life calling yourself, your children, and all your friends "failures".

Sounds like a miserable way to live to me, but at least you can pretend that it makes you sound superior to other people on a message board. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 06:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Have fun spending your entire life calling yourself, your children, and all your friends "failures".

Sounds like a miserable way to live to me, but at least you can pretend that it makes you sound superior to other people on a message board. Smirk

Sorry just joking about the whole "life goals" comment, but we definately fundamentally disagree on what "success" in the NFL, and for the Cincinnati Bengals, is!!
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 06:51 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: Sorry just joking about the whole "life goals" comment, but we definately fundamentally disagree on what "success" in the NFL, and for the Cincinnati Bengals, is!!

It has nothing to do with the life goals comment.  It is just absurd to say there is no difference between a 12-4 season and a 4-12 season.

Teams recognize the difference.

Fans recognize the difference.

Pretty much everyone gets it except you.  I would be embarrassed if I could not tell any difference between a 12-4 team and a 4-12 team.
Reply/Quote
No need for personal attacks, just an opinion of course. I'm one to say that 2nd place is the 1st loser...not saying it's a bad year in that case, but there really is only 1 SB champ. Some teams have more to work on than others. I think most people have trouble remembering who won the superbowl 5 years ago let alone who was the "other" team, lol.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote