Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meijers stores
They have opened a bunch and we got one next door to Walmart. They are kicking our butt in sales and everything so far but they have way higher prices and long checkout lanes. You guys ever been in any Meijer stores? What do you guys think of them?
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 10:33 PM)packerbacker Wrote: They have opened a bunch and we got one next door to Walmart. They are kicking our butt in sales and everything so far but they have way higher prices and long checkout lanes. You guys ever been in any Meijer stores? What do you guys think of them?

You work for Walmart?
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 10:33 PM)packerbacker Wrote: They have opened a bunch and we got one next door to Walmart. They are kicking our butt in sales and everything so far but they have way higher prices and long checkout lanes. You guys ever been in any Meijer stores? What do you guys think of them?

1. What Richmond said.

2. We had one in Florence when I lived there. The ex loved it. I liked it.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
We have one, and I like it ok.  I still am a loyal Kroger man when it comes to groceries.  I don't do business with Walmart.  I haven't been in one in almost 10 years.  I gladly pay a few cents extra.  

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 10:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: We have one, and I like it ok.  I still am a loyal Kroger man when it comes to groceries.  I don't do business with Walmart.  I haven't been in one in almost 10 years.  I gladly pay a few cents extra.  

I had Walmart as a client many years ago, and have yet to set foot in one since. Among other things, they specialized in ignoring consultant's invoices for at least 60 days, sometimes longer, then offering cents on the dollar as a settlement for what they owed. Prime POS, they are.

As for Meijers, best produce in my area. I split the rest of my grocery shopping between Krogers and Remkes, except for when local farmer's markets start up seasonally. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 10:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: We have one, and I like it ok.  I still am a loyal Kroger man when it comes to groceries.  I don't do business with Walmart.  I haven't been in one in almost 10 years.  I gladly pay a few cents extra.  

Curious, why the avoidance of Walmart?  They're easily cheaper than anyone else (unless someone's running a sale).  The only reason I go to Kroger is it's closer and in my neighborhood.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 12:41 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Curious, why the avoidance of Walmart?  They're easily cheaper than anyone else (unless someone's running a sale).  The only reason I go to Kroger is it's closer and in my neighborhood.

Last steak I bought at Walmart still had marks on it from where the jockey hit it  Ninja
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Better quality produce and meat. My wife refuses to buy meat from Walmart. She will buy canned goods if she needs too, but never meat and rarely produce.

Edit: Not to mention walmart has 30 cash registers and only 3-4 open and we always stand in line for a long period of time. In addition, the cashiers are poorly trained and mostly very slow.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 01:39 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Last steak I bought at Walmart still had marks on it from where the jockey hit it  Ninja

It was that fresh?!?! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 11:55 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: I had Walmart as a client many years ago, and have yet to set foot in one since. Among other things, they specialized in ignoring consultant's invoices for at least 60 days, sometimes longer, then offering cents on the dollar as a settlement for what they owed. Prime POS, they are.

As for Meijers, best produce in my area. I split the rest of my grocery shopping between Krogers and Remkes, except for when local farmer's markets start up seasonally. 

That was one of the first things I learned: Wal-Mart will **** you over if you're a vendor. They get behind on paying you for merchandise and then send you a check for 50-60% of what they owe you (which is already negotiated lower than you normally sell). Don't like it? Go somewhere else. Which we did.

No Meijers in my area, but I've seen them before while traveling.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 11:55 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: I had Walmart as a client many years ago, and have yet to set foot in one since. Among other things, they specialized in ignoring consultant's invoices for at least 60 days, sometimes longer, then offering cents on the dollar as a settlement for what they owed. Prime POS, they are.

(06-15-2017, 12:41 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Curious, why the avoidance of Walmart?  They're easily cheaper than anyone else (unless someone's running a sale).  The only reason I go to Kroger is it's closer and in my neighborhood.

Some of it has to do with exactly what wildcats refers to in his post.  Also, we took steaks to Bristol one year from Walmart, and a 3 hour trip back home turned into 6....we couldn't pass a bathroom.  Imodium would not stop it, we even stopped up the road and got cheese pizza with extra cheese to try and plug it....nothing. The four of us got sick, the rest of the campsite we met at the track did not get steaks from Walmart, and did not shit their guts out. LOL 

Without getting too much into PnR, they encourage their mgmt team to persuade employees to use government funded healthcare, childcare, and other assistance.  They cut hours to avoid full time bennies....they broker ridiculous tax breaks and subsidies to move into your town and run the mom and pops out of business.  I figure if they're gonna use my tax money to actively subsidize their employees and their cost of doing business, I'm not going to voluntarily give them more money.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I've always had a Meijers near where I live and never had a problem with them. I prefer Krogers but Meijers would be my 2nd choice.

I did retail merchandising for a while with all of the groceries around the area so I frequented all of them quite a bit and got to know the people etc. The Meijers that is competing with Walmart about 20 mins away has a better atmosphere and is a nicer experience to shop at. I think it's a combination of different things...

The store seems to move at a slower pace between employees taking their time and being available compared to running around like chickens with their heads cut off helps. Customers don't seem to be in such a hurry as well idk why. Walmart is usually more chaotic.

Compared to the competing Walmart it's cleaner and doesn't attract as shady looking people. Part of that has to do with location one is kind of tucked away and the other is right on the main strip of road.

I avoid buying meat at Walmart. I think their steaks are frankenmeat and I also suspect they might fill their meat with water and or dye. I get most of my meat from a local market though anyways.

What's kind of funny is the other Walmart 30 mins in the other direction is a lot more like the Meijers I've been mentioning minus the meat complaints.
Reply/Quote
Back when I lived in Ohio, I really liked Meijer stores. Always preferred them over any other grocery/retail stores. I say this even though I used to work for Kroger at one time. I haven't seen a Meijer store since I left Ohio, and many of the Walmart's just don't compare when it comes to how the stores are run and the type of people they have as customers. There have been a few exceptions though.
Reply/Quote

They're everywhere here.  We go to Kroger because there's one about five minutes from our house, but its not a super Kroger, so if we need more household-type items, we'll drive across town to shop at the Meijer. 

Same.  I consider that extra money I may pay at Kroger or Meijer a good investment.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
When I lived in Washington state there was a chain store called Fred Meyer(now owned by Kroger).

It was almost identical in appearance to the set up of Meijer stores here in Ohio.

So the first year after moving here I kept accidentally calling the place Fred Meyer.

People just looked at me like I was an alien. Smirk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Meyer

BTW:

Why do Kroger ads have to be the cheesiest things on earth? The holiday ones make me want to throw a brick through my TV !!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We have a Walmart, Meijer, and 3 Krogers within 10 minutes of where I live. I still prefer Kroger overall though. I like their fuel-points, online coopens, faster checkout lanes, and better deli. If Meijer improved on their checkout speeds, I would go there more often. As the main reason I do go there is to pick up a couple of things or so if they have a really good sale. Walmart, only reason I go to Walmart is for non-food stuff like birthday/xmas presents for kids, fishing section, auto stuff, etc. And I may go through see what they have grocery wise if its on sale.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 01:39 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Last steak I bought at Walmart still had marks on it from where the jockey hit it  Ninja

So you know it was fresh
Reply/Quote
I like Meijer.... Not sure what level position you have.. But it seems like that Meijer next door could be hiring lol if they are that busy maybe they pay a little more too..

If there was one closer to me id probly shop Meijer over Walmart. at least for some things.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 04:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: Some of it has to do with exactly what wildcats refers to in his post.  Also, we took steaks to Bristol one year from Walmart, and a 3 hour trip back home turned into 6....we couldn't pass a bathroom.  Imodium would not stop it, we even stopped up the road and got cheese pizza with extra cheese to try and plug it....nothing. The four of us got sick, the rest of the campsite we met at the track did not get steaks from Walmart, and did not shit their guts out. LOL 

Without getting too much into PnR, they encourage their mgmt team to persuade employees to use government funded healthcare, childcare, and other assistance.  They cut hours to avoid full time bennies....they broker ridiculous tax breaks and subsidies to move into your town and run the mom and pops out of business.  I figure if they're gonna use my tax money to actively subsidize their employees and their cost of doing business, I'm not going to voluntarily give them more money.

Yeah I get all that, But I've shopped at both stores and both are fine to me.  For me it all depends on what I need/want and where I'm at.  When I was married and lived in Lynn IN, Lynn is a very small rural town with no grocery.  The closest grocery was Walmart in Winchester to our north, so we shopped there if we were off work. We both worked in Richmond to the south of Lynn and there was a Meijer on the way home and we'd hit that a lot because it was on the way home.  After I got divorced I moved to Richmond within walking distance to Meijer, so I pretty much only shopped there.  Then I moved back to the Nati and there's a Kroger right here so I usually go there for grocery runs but I still go to both Meijer and Walmart depending on what I'm looking for.  I will say this though I've shopped at many a Walmart (as well as Meijer and Kroger), and bought dry goods as well as fresh meat and produce and don't recall ever having gotten sick from it.  Oh well to each their own.

However I can understand Wildcats refusal to not shop there, given his experience described above.
Reply/Quote
Meijer stores are ok. I visit them, when I go back to Ohio. However, Kroger Marketplace stores absolutely rock! Yeah, they cost a little bit more, but their meat is good quality.

I try to avoid Walmart, but still occasionally cave in for the cheaper shelf items.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote