AJ GREEN
16.79%
22 16.79%
Total 131 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Message Board All-Time Team (WR)
(06-06-2015, 02:45 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Absolutely agree. I do not understand how people are putting a guy on the All-Time team based on what he may do in the future. As I have already stated.....if this poll were going on 5 years from now then I very well would be voting for Green but at this point I just do not see how some are justifying it.

While I did not care for the attitude of Pickens you cannot deny what he did on the field. I see most had no problem voting for Corey Dillon even with his attitude and the way he left the organization.

Another thing folks must take into consideration when voting for AJ over Carl: Pickens was drafted in 1992 and didn't show as a malcontent until 8 years later. AJ has only been around for 4. Let's see if he gets frustrated over the next 4.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm cool with Chad, Isaac and AJ, but I would put Pickens ahead of AJ at the current time. I'm sure AJ will eventually overtake him. Also, I think Isaac should have been the top choice, but I think we have a lot of younger guys voting who may not be aware of what he could do on the field.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 01:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have no idea why AJ is currently 3rd. Of all the career stats (TDs, Yards, and Receptions) AJ ranks dead last in each category. If you don't like Pickens at least give Touchdown Eddie Brown some love.

If AJ isn't deserving due to his limited career at this point, why was he on the list?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 02:45 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Absolutely agree. I do not understand how people are putting a guy on the All-Time team based on what he may do in the future. As I have already stated.....if this poll were going on 5 years from now then I very well would be voting for Green but at this point I just do not see how some are justifying it.

While I did not care for the attitude of Pickens you cannot deny what he did on the field. I see most had no problem voting for Corey Dillon even with his attitude and the way he left the organization.

It might be kind of nit picking...but if it were only 3 years, i'd probably not pick him. What he's done in his first 4 years--with at least 2 more in stripes--and his arc, i don't think it's beyond reason to pick him at this point.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
OSUfan Wrote:I had to vote the following:

1) Chad Johnson - Let's just be honest.....before the Ocho crap got in his head he was just a very special talent that understood he was getting paid very well to play a game. He loved the fans and brought identity to the team. His hands and body control were absolutely amazing.

2) Isaac Curtis - While his typical season numbers were not as lofty as we see today it must be remembered that he played in a different era that is not as pass happy as today. Curtis was a stalwart of the team and left it on the field every time out a true gamer. As mentioned in the write up his speed changed the rules of the game.

3) Carl Pickens - this one was hard to vote for but his numbers made it nearly impossible not to. While I hated his attitude there is no doubt that when he was on the field he made a difference. He was a very talented receiver and I often think how could he could have been had he not seemed to be mad at the world.

I can understand many voting for Green but the tenure of the others trumps it for me. As far as "All-Time" goes I do not think he has earned that yet. In a few years I could vote differently. Yes he is a special talent and an extremely gifted receiver but just does not have the skins that the others have yet.

Those would be my 3 picks as well. Also IMO. Pick is one of the most under-appreciated talents to ever play in stripes. I know he could be sulky and temperamental, but the guy was the complete package at WR. 
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 02:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Another thing folks must take into consideration when voting for AJ over Carl: Pickens was drafted in 1992 and didn't show as a malcontent until 8 years later. AJ has only been around for 4. Let's see if he gets frustrated over the next 4.

I loved Pickens when he was here and i debated between him and AJ. I'm not going to lie, his attitude at the end probably did sway me away from him. Still think he was a great talent while he was here. 

I'd have no issue at all if he surpasses AJ on the list.

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 02:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Another thing folks must take into consideration when voting for AJ over Carl: Pickens was drafted in 1992 and didn't show as a malcontent until 8 years later. AJ has only been around for 4. Let's see if he gets frustrated over the next 4.

Yeah, I never even looked at Pick as a malcontent. I always saw him as an extremely talented WR, who's frustrations with losing, finally reached a tipping point. The guy busted his ass while he was in stripes, and played at a very high level...with nothing much to show for it in terms of team success. 
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 10:01 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Exactly why Green has not earned a spot on the All-Time team at this point. Again in a few years that very well will be a different story but I do not see the justification for it at this point.

I can understand that. Just wanted to give a different perspective as to why I voted for him.

(06-06-2015, 01:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have no idea why AJ is currently 3rd. Of all the career stats (TDs, Yards, and Receptions) AJ ranks dead last in each category. If you don't like Pickens at least give Touchdown Eddie Brown some love.

I voted for Eddie.

Because Green is ranked 8th in receiving yards, touchdowns, and receptions. He also played at least 40 less games than every player. Everybody in the top 12in receiving yards has played in over 100 games besides Green.

But he leads every Bengals receiver in average yards per game. He's #1 with 81.2. Chad Johnson is #2 with 71.4.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 04:31 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I can understand that. Just wanted to give a different perspective as to why I voted for him.

I voted for Eddie.

Because Green is ranked 8th in receiving yards, touchdowns, and receptions. He also played at least 40 less games than every player. Everybody in the top 12in receiving yards has played in over 100 games besides Green.

But he leads every Bengals receiver in average yards per game. He's #1 with 81.2. Chad Johnson is #2 with 71.4.

Mohamed Sanu has a perfect passer rating does he not? That is because he does not do it very often. The yards per game of Green could certainly drop the more games he plays. So that stat alone should not put him in the All-Time list.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 04:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If AJ isn't deserving due to his limited career at this point, why was he on the list?

Because he is statistically one of the top 8 WRs in franchise history.

Look, I get voting AJ the potential is through the roof. I just added my $0.02
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 04:46 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Mohamed Sanu has a perfect passer rating does he not? That is because he does not do it very often. The yards per game of Green could certainly drop the more games he plays. So that stat alone should not put him in the All-Time list.

Did you really compare a player who has thrown the ball less than 10 times to someone who was a #1 draft pick for his position and has been relied on heavily in his aspect of the game? Your comparison makes zero sense and is ludicrous.

But since you wanna talk about numbers, Green has played in 43 less games than TJ Houshmandzadeh, yet has 2 less TDs than him and less than 1,000 yards away from him. He's 1 touchdown away from tying Darnay Scott and Collinsworth, and they played more games than Housh has.

Green also has 33 less receptions than Eddie brown does in 42 less games.

Green averages at least 1,200 a season, even though he has missed games. So assuming he reaches that again (I mean, he DID play injured and still produced last year), that would give him 6,074 yards. That would shoot him up to #6 in receiving yards for a Bengals player while he hasn't played 80 games. Yet EVERYONE in the top 13 receiving yards has played in 102 games or more. Green has played 60.

Heck, Carl Pickens has played in 60 MORE games than Green, but Green only has 2,013 less yards than him. And Carl Pickens is ranked #3 in receiving yards for a Bengal.

So there are many players on this list that are "great", but Green could surpass them in categories after this year.
Reply/Quote

If AJ Green continues at his current pace, he will be 2nd all-time in yards, 4th in catches, and tied for 3rd in TD's after just 2 more seasons. Projecting that AJ Green will wind up going down as an all-time Bengals great isn't much of a stretch. I think it's a pretty safe bet. He's the only current Bengal I'd vote for, so it's not like I'm only voting for newer guys. I've voted for Boomer, CD, Pete Johnson and Bob Trumpy on the other polls, so I'm taking guys from all eras.

I agree 100% with you on Pickens though. I have no idea why folks hate on players who bashed the FO in the 90's. Were they wrong? The frustrations of those players may have pushed MB to make necessary changes. So maybe we should like them even more for voicing their concerns.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 12:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If AJ Green continues at his current pace, he will be 2nd all-time in yards, 4th in catches, and tied for 3rd in TD's after just 2 more seasons. Projecting that AJ Green will wind up going down as an all-time Bengals great isn't much of a stretch. I think it's a pretty safe bet. He's the only current Bengal I'd vote for, so it's not like I'm only voting for newer guys. I've voted for Boomer, CD, Pete Johnson and Bob Trumpy on the other polls, so I'm taking guys from all eras.

I agree 100% with you on Pickens though. I have no idea why folks hate on players who bashed the FO in the 90's. Were they wrong? The frustrations of those players may have pushed MB to make necessary changes. So maybe we should like them even more for voicing their concerns.

Nice post, hard to disagree with anything you say here Shake.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 03:01 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Did you really compare a player who has thrown the ball less than 10 times to someone who was a #1 draft pick for his position and has been relied on heavily in his aspect of the game? Your comparison makes zero sense and is ludicrous.

But since you wanna talk about numbers, Green has played in 43 less games than TJ Houshmandzadeh, yet has 2 less TDs than him and less than 1,000 yards away from him. He's 1 touchdown away from tying Darnay Scott and Collinsworth, and they played more games than Housh has.

Green also has 33 less receptions than Eddie brown does in 42 less games.

Green averages at least 1,200 a season, even though he has missed games. So assuming he reaches that again (I mean, he DID play injured and still produced last year), that would give him 6,074 yards. That would shoot him up to #6 in receiving yards for a Bengals player while he hasn't played 80 games. Yet EVERYONE in the top 13 receiving yards has played in 102 games or more. Green has played 60.

Heck, Carl Pickens has played in 60 MORE games than Green, but Green only has 2,013 less yards than him. And Carl Pickens is ranked #3 in receiving yards for a Bengal.

So there are many players on this list that are "great", but Green could surpass them in categories after this year.

Hmmm.....guess it is a good think I did not vote for TJ, Collinsworth, or Eddie. So if Green's career ended tomorrow he would still be over 2,000 yards behind Pickens correct?
Reply/Quote
Curtis, Johnson and AJ (Pickens a close 4th). I just believe AJ is more talented and will surpass them all before it is all said and done. That trio, hell those four in their prime on one team would be unstoppable.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 05:47 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Hmmm.....guess it is a good think I did not vote for TJ, Collinsworth, or Eddie. So if Green's career ended tomorrow he would still be over 2,000 yards behind Pickens correct?

Yes, he would be.

While playing in only 60 games, while Pickens played in 120.

So to say Green is only a little over 2,000 yards away from Pickens in receiving with only half the games is pretty impressive, right? Or should we overlook what Green has done?

But since you didn't vote for any of those players, then you picked Chad, Curtis, and Pickens; correct?
Chad played in 151 games as a Bengal. Curtis in 167, and Pickens with 120. Green has played in 60 games. So they have played double of Green's games.

Green is 88 receptions away from passing Curtis in receptions. He is 19 touchdowns away from passing him as well.

Green can surpass Curtis in receptions in just one more year. He would have more than half less of games and still surpass one of the players you voted.

You can sit here and say "Well if his career ended tomorrow...." But it's not. He's under contract for another year and the Bengals have expressed they will franchise tag him. But hey, if he only gets one year, he can still surpass one of the greats you voted for.
Reply/Quote