Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Message Board Discussion of Different Books
I would love to start a series of discussions on different books. Of course these different books would have to be free off of iBooks or something since I'm poor and don't have money. iBooks has many, MANY books free to download and think it would be fun to read them with you all and discuss them as we go chapter by chapter every week.

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in doing this?

Also suggestions on how to format something like this. Maybe read a chapter per week and discuss that chapter over the weekend. I'm thinking we can actually learn something from one another.

Books I'm thinking about
The Divine Comedy
Civil Disobedience
Paradise Lost
Communist Manifesto
Walden

Books that we can argue over and expand our minds.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2015, 06:02 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I would love to start a series of discussions on different books. Of course these different books would have to be free off of iBooks or something since I'm poor and don't have money. iBooks has many, MANY books free to download and think it would be fun to read them with you all and discuss them as we go chapter by chapter every week.

Also suggestions on how to format something like this. Maybe read a chapter per week and discuss that chapter over the weekend. I'm thinking we can actually learn something from one another.

Books I'm thinking about
The Divine Comedy
Civil Disobedience
Paradise Lost
Communist Manufesto
Walden

Walden is the only one of those books that I would even consider reading.  Just because stuff is old does not mean it is that brilliant.  

For example Civil Disobedience claimed that we would be better off if men did not follow the rules of government.  When I look at some of the stuff people say today i realize that is crazy talk.  I agree we should oppose injustice in government, but when you look at how stupid so many people are you realize we would be in bad shape without some laws and government control.
Reply/Quote
I tried reading Paradise Lost in high school. I did about as well as Delta House. The Divine Comedy I wouldn't have a prayer with.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's funny, I thought about doing something like this. The problem is that there are so many different tastes and preferences when it comes to literature on here that it would be difficult. Not putting down the idea, because obviously I am a fan, but I don't know how well it would work out.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 11:07 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's funny, I thought about doing something like this. The problem is that there are so many different tastes and preferences when it comes to literature on here that it would be difficult. Not putting down the idea, because obviously I am a fan, but I don't know how well it would work out.

Well, maybe in this thread we could come to an agreement on the first book. Have those who would like to participate offer up some books, that are free of course, and then vote on them.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
I've never read the entirety of the Communist Manifesto (at least I don't think I have, haven't read it since college) and I've never read Paradise Lost. Divine Comedy is great, but it takes a lot of work to read it.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 02:04 PM)Benton Wrote: I've never read the entirety of the Communist Manifesto (at least I don't think I have, haven't read it since college) and I've never read Paradise Lost. Divine Comedy is great, but it takes a lot of work to read it.

You sure talk like you have.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2015, 02:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You sure talk like you have.

:blush:

You say the nicest things.
Reply/Quote
Great idea for a thread!
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2015, 06:02 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I would love to start a series of discussions on different books. Of course these different books would have to be free off of iBooks or something since I'm poor and don't have money. iBooks has many, MANY books free to download and think it would be fun to read them with you all and discuss them as we go chapter by chapter every week.

Books I'm thinking about
The Divine Comedy
Civil Disobedience
Paradise Lost
Communist Manifesto
Walden

can we talk about books that arent free on your fruity device? cause i dont know whats free on ibooks
Reply/Quote
Quran
Reply/Quote
I started to read tale of two cities the other day and it was a bit laborious following the style of writing. However, I bet if I looked up the context of the book I'd be a bit more motivated to get acclimated to the style.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 03:19 AM)treee Wrote: I started to read tale of two cities the other day and it was a bit laborious following the style of writing. However, I bet if I looked up the context of the book I'd be a bit more motivated to get acclimated to the style.

The first part of the book can be a bit of a grind, but it gets better.  

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 09:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The first part of the book can be a bit of a grind, but it gets better.  

Speaking of a Grind lol.. Im about 400 pages into book 4 of "The Wheel of Time" Series... book 4/15 i think
Reply/Quote
Inferno (from the Divine Comedy) is pretty amazing.

Man's Search For Meaning is also a great book that helps put things in perspective.
Reply/Quote