Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Micah Parsons Why Not?
Seems like the options everyone leans on for the upcoming draft is Sewell, Chase, Pitts or trade out.

My question is, why is Parsons not in consideration? I don’t know all the details of him as a player, but I still think we could use a good/great LB...

First step in turning this franchise around will be winning the division. The AFCN has 2 of the best running teams in the league with Bal and Cle... could Parsons be a surprise pick at 5?
Reply/Quote
He has some fairly serious character concerns stemming from this story

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abc27.com/sports/former-penn-state-player-details-fight-with-micah-parsons-claims-james-franklin-told-him-not-to-talk-to-police-according-to-espn/amp/

And there are other positions that are more valuable than a LB at 5. Sewell, Chase, Smith/Pitts are all guys who play a more valuable position than Parsons.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 12:14 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: He has some fairly serious character concerns stemming from this story

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abc27.com/sports/former-penn-state-player-details-fight-with-micah-parsons-claims-james-franklin-told-him-not-to-talk-to-police-according-to-espn/amp/

And there are other positions that are more valuable than a LB at 5. Sewell, Chase, Smith/Pitts are all guys who play a more valuable position than Parsons.

I personally think LB is undervalued right now. The Buccaneers made it to the super bowl on the back of Devin White and again we play in a division where the two top contendors ran all over us in recent years.

I’m still hoping for Sewell, but I think if we want to win now we need to fix the defense instead of grabbing another offensive playmaker.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 12:08 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Seems like the options everyone leans on for the upcoming draft is Sewell, Chase, Pitts or trade out.

My question is, why is Parsons not in consideration? I don’t know all the details of him as a player, but I still think we could use a good/great LB...

First step in turning this franchise around will be winning the division. The AFCN has 2 of the best running teams in the league with Bal and Cle... could Parsons be a surprise pick at 5?

He has potential be the best LB in the draft and will probably go in the range of 5 to 15 in draft.. and I believe also we are missing that impact LB and it has showed for years.. but with the drafting of 3 LBs last year.. im guessing the Bengals will not use their 1st pick for an LB.. but if they did pick Parsons.. he sure seems to be the type of player that could really impact our Defense and I would not complain but only if we add another starter to our Oline in FA ... if not I don;t see how we can;t go anything but Oline in the 1st round...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 12:14 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: He has some fairly serious character concerns stemming from this story

This.

No reason to gamble on a player that has such significant character concerns with a top 5 pick. Especially at a non premium position.

We also need to let our young guys play and develop.

Reply/Quote
Character Concerns aside Parsons as a prospect has everything you want in a linebacker size, speed, length....except every thing above the shoulders. He has questions about reading his keys and coverage because it's not something Penn State asked him to do. Parsons job at Penn was see gap attack gap.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 12:56 PM)Synric Wrote: Character Concerns aside Parsons as a prospect has everything you want in a linebacker size, speed, length....except every thing above the shoulders. He has questions about reading his keys and coverage because it's not something Penn State asked him to do. Parsons job at Penn was see gap attack gap.

I don’t understand his extremely high rating as a prospect then. Just a weak LB class? How does someone with so many concerns show up in the top 10 of so many drafts.

The way you guys describe him I expect him to be the guy that falls pretty far.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 01:01 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I don’t understand his extremely high rating as a prospect then. Just a weak LB class? How does someone with so many concerns show up in the top 10 of so many drafts.

The way you guys describe him I expect him to be the guy that falls pretty far.

Isaiah Simmons went #8 last year he had the same issues as ADG only experienced making half box reads not playing true linebacker. Devin White went #5 with the same issues as Parsons. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 01:23 PM)Synric Wrote: Isaiah Simmons went #8 last year he had the same issues as ADG only experienced making half box reads not playing true linebacker. Devin White went #5 with the same issues as Parsons. 

Devin White looked great on the Buccs playoff run, not sure he is a great story for passing on Parsons.

Perhaps Parsons isn’t the guy for us, but I’m not sold on “we fixed the LBs last year” narrative. Still a major weak spot from my viewpoint.
Reply/Quote
I’d probably be interested in Zaven Collins if we needed a LB, but like I said, we need to let our young guys play.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 01:27 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Devin White looked great on the Buccs playoff run, not sure he is a great story for passing on Parsons.

Perhaps Parsons isn’t the guy for us, but I’m not sold on “we fixed the LBs last year” narrative. Still a major weak spot from my viewpoint.

White is an excellent blitzer slightly above average as a run defender but straight up awful in coverage.

Reply/Quote
Devin White did not have the same issues as Parsons. The big asterisk is that Parsons only played two years and it was clear that they asked him not to do certain things on the field as not to develop bad technique/tendencies. It is to be assumed that his role would have increased this year but we did not get to see how well he progressed and because of that I don’t think he is worth the risk at 5.

Devin White was the best linebacker prospect since Keuchley - he had elite athleticism at OLB but could play MLB and didn’t make consistent mistakes. We don’t know how well Parsons does in coverage. He made mistakes in the run game that may have been in the middle of fixing. The potential is there but I would rather take Pitts who I think is a future HOF.
Reply/Quote
If we go Defense I rather us trade down and get a Couple of picks back. A guy like Jaelan Phillips (yes I know about the concussions) at edge would do wonders for this team.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 01:31 PM)Synric Wrote: White is an excellent blitzer slightly above average as a run defender but straight up awful in coverage.

Awful in coverage is a stretch. I watched the guy essentially shut kamara down one week and then handle Kelce in the Super Bowl...
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 01:52 PM)J24 Wrote: If we go Defense I rather us trade down and get a Couple of picks back. A guy like Jaelan Phillips (yes I know about the concussions) at edge would do wonders for this team.

If we trade back and get a combo of DE/LB or DT/LB I would be extremely happy. I’d even be ok with DE/DT.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 01:53 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Awful in coverage is a stretch. I watched the guy essentially shut kamara down one week and then handle Kelce in the Super Bowl...

On the year he allowed 70 receptions on 84 targets (83% completion %) 626 yards 3 TDs 9 Yards per completion and a 109 passer rating. 

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 02:00 PM)Synric Wrote: On the year he allowed 70 receptions on 84 targets (83% completion %) 626 yards 3 TDs 9 Yards per completion and a 109 passer rating. 

He must’ve really turned it around those last few weeks. Curious to hear the same stat line for the playoffs.

Either way, can’t argue those numbers, pretty horrid lol.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 12:56 PM)Synric Wrote: Character Concerns aside Parsons as a prospect has everything you want in a linebacker size, speed, length....except every thing above the shoulders. He has questions about reading his keys and coverage because it's not something Penn State asked him to do. Parsons job at Penn was see gap attack gap.

I have read the opposite that teams and scouts don;t seem to judge much of the 1 incident couple years ago and see a well rounded LB that could be a force in their LB unit.  I would be shocked he goes anywhere outside top 15 to 20 and depending on a couple picks early in draft could still go in top 10
Reply/Quote
Azeez Ojulari is the best LB in this draft class. I’d take Jaelan Phillips over him too
Reply/Quote
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If it wasn't for this forum I'd never know anything about the incident with Parsons. I have never seen it mentioned in a draft analysis of merit. Seems some are over-blowing it because we don't like the prospect and are just looking for something.

If anyone watched the Superbowl they see what great athletic LBs can do. We only play 2 LBs in the vast majority of our formation; it'd be great if one of the was All Pro caliber. Parsons can cover, tackle, and rush,
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote