Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Johnson
I was going to make a thread on MJ this morning but you beat me to it.

He looked soooo bad on Friday. They guy is trash. He needs to be cut.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 02:10 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think we have something with those guys (Lawson/Willis). Time to trim the fat.

I'd keep Clarke over MJ as he costs a lot less.

Or cut both and keep Chris Smith and Gilberry instead. Gilberry has experience too and can rush from the inside, and Chris Smith looked better than Clarke.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 10:11 AM)Au165 Wrote: Like I said, I think he gets cut but they are going to make sure the young guys can handle everything over the next couple weeks first.

I don't see it unless Marv is full-go, all-in mode. Even then I know how they value "locker room" guys, so I say he's safe unless he just flat out stops caring (like he did vs Tampa), but I have a feeling that won't be the case next game. He'll probably go HAM and be safe again.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 10:30 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I was going to make a thread on MJ this morning but you beat me to it.

He looked soooo bad on Friday. They guy is trash. He needs to be cut.

Why do we have to make attacks personal? I agree he did not play well, but I hate when we trash (call them names) our own players personally. I have met MJ and he is a great person and does not deserve a personal attack because he had a bad game.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Clarke will go before MJ, I would not cut MJ especially now.. long shot if his play does not improve through practice and preseason.. here is why: all we hear about is Lawson, Willis, Smith rushed the passer well, well we better be able to stop the run and none of them have sold me on that at all... I agree with a previous post, it could come down to MJ or Gilberry ( he can go inside and if more flexibility) making the team.

Smith could still be the next Chris Carter, great against 2/3 team but never produced against 1st team... 3 preseason games to go to see how it works itself out. In the end, injuries will probably decide this position.. someone always gets hurt before the season starts
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 11:27 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why do we have to make attacks personal? I agree he did not play well, but I hate when we trash (call them names) our own players personally. I have met MJ and he is a great person and does not deserve a personal attack because he had a bad game.

Is this a joke?  You're too fragile minded 
Reply/Quote
Dude has no bend, at all.

He is good at stopping the run and tipping balls just can't rush the passer cause he has no bend.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 09:01 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: There are many reasons to cut Johnson, but cap space isn't one of them. The Bengals are still sitting on almost $18m in cap space. Upgrades and extensions are/were possible without cutting Johnson.

Fair enough point. Like I said in a different post, the space only matters if we use it.

(08-14-2017, 10:28 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: So, had the Bengals just released PacMan and MJ, how much savings would that equate to?  13 mill/year?

So with the release of those 2, we could've been sitting on 31 million in cap space. We could've added a couple impact players and extended Burfict with that. Of course, we can still extend Burfict, but instead of fresh impactful players, we have a time bomb and dead weight.

(08-14-2017, 11:27 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why do we have to make attacks personal? I agree he did not play well, but I hate when we trash (call them names) our own players personally. I have met MJ and he is a great person and does not deserve a personal attack because he had a bad game.

He's not attacking him personally, Luvnit. He's talking about his play. It's pretty easy to see that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So with the release of those 2, we could've been sitting on 31 million in cap space. We could've added a couple impact players and extended Burfict with that. Of course, we can still extend Burfict, but instead of fresh impactful players, we have a time bomb and dead weight.

Do it. Mellow  Do it. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 10:03 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Geathers, peko, 58, MJ , thornton, crocker all guys that should have been cut rather then letting them play out their contacts

We can only hope the FO has learned something by now. If not, we are going to be really frustrated. Come on Katie, do it!
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So with the release of those 2, we could've been sitting on 31 million in cap space. We could've added a couple impact players and extended Burfict with that. Of course, we can still extend Burfict, but instead of fresh impactful players, we have a time bomb and dead weight.

Not our MO. We'd rather pay guys to be mediocre than release them and sign impact guys when it costs about the same price.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 01:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Not our MO. We'd rather pay guys to be mediocre than release them and sign impact guys when it costs about the same price.

We need to change our MO. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Johnson was on his back more than my ex on that first drive. Gillberry looked bad this game too. To be honest, I know it's the first pre season game yada yada yada but I don't see the hype with Willis or even Lawson. If judging by this one game they didn't give me much reason to be excited.

We have no pass rush and our LB's can't cover for shit as always.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 09:19 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: This one?

https://twitter.com/BillyM_91/status/896155153266393088?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cincyjungle.com%2F2017%2F8%2F11%2F16136788%2Fbengals-vs-buccaneers-6-winners-2-losers-from-preseason-opener

Worst spin move ever. Just spins in place. Dude isn't even giving effort anymore.
WTF

Yup just as i suspected. MJ has checked out. He is coasting.

OR

He felt bad about taking all that money from Tampa and just didn't try.

Either way.....he's checked out. Planning for future endeavors.

We all can see it except for the people that matter.

Reply/Quote
MJ has lost it ! Lost the ability, lost the speed, lost the leverage, lost the strength, lost the desire, or all of them ? But at any rate he needs to be cut - period. It's nothing personal, it's not hate. But the fact is he was basically useless last season and it's time to move on.

Fingers crossed that the times they be a changing around here and they will cut him.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 08:19 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Jordan Willis looks good. Send Johnson out the door. Problem solved.

I'm an MJ fan. That said, his play has tailed off. Willis did look good against Tampa reserves. I like Willis. Definitely one to keep an eye on.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 10:28 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: So, had the Bengals just released PacMan and MJ, how much savings would that equate to?  13 mill/year?

I don't know man, Jones was ranked a top 5 CB in the NFL, last season.  The others were getting beat, until he came in, in the red zone defense.

And, to be fair, I was all in favor of the team dumping him immediately after his last off field stunt.  But, where else are you going to get top notch quality for bargain backup price?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 07:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know man, Jones was ranked a top 5 CB in the NFL, last season.  The others were getting beat, until he came in, in the red zone defense.

And, to be fair, I was all in favor of the team dumping him immediately after his last off field stunt.  But, where else are you going to get top notch quality for bargain backup price?

If it meant keeping Whitworth, they should have done it. They have 2 first round cornerbacks collecting dust.
Gotta find out if they can play or not.
Whitworth was a cornerstone. 
Pacman is a loose cannon. 

One is worth keeping, the other is not. 
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 01:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Not our MO. We'd rather pay guys to be mediocre than release them and sign impact guys when it costs about the same price.

Agreed. It seems like they'd rather stick with the known...even if the known isn't really helping us.

(08-14-2017, 07:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know man, Jones was ranked a top 5 CB in the NFL, last season.  The others were getting beat, until he came in, in the red zone defense.

While I do think some exaggerated Adam's demise on the field, I don't think what I saw last year looked like a top 5 CB. He fell off some, IMO. If it were up to me, we would've cut bait after his latest incident.

How many 1st round corners have we taken? Plus Keivarae Russell? Let those guys play. Adam is going on 35 isn't he? He's due to fall off hard at some point, and we've already seen signs...particularly with how he's fallen off in the return game.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 07:20 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: If it meant keeping Whitworth, they should have done it. They have 2 first round cornerbacks collecting dust.
Gotta find out if they can play or not.
Whitworth was a cornerstone. 
Pacman is a loose cannon. 

One is worth keeping, the other is not. 

For a team with such a rich history of drafting Tackles and CBs, this latest bunch hasn't really blown the world away.  Ogbuehi, Fisher, Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Jackson.  None of which produced much of anything their first couple years on the team.  However, I will say that Jackson looks promising to be a major contributor in year two.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote