Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Lombardi's Take on Zac Taylor (Homers Beware)
This was posted in another thread:

Cincinnati Bengals: Zac Taylor

I saved the Bengals for last in hopes that, by allowing more time, I might understand how Zac Taylor became an NFL head coach when less than 10 years ago, he was a graduate assistant at Texas A&M. Usually, coaches with meteoric rises (like Sean McVay) have past performances that justify that ascent. However in Taylor’s case, there were no surges, just lousy offensive football at every stop until he reached Los Angeles. And the more authority he achieved, the less productive the team became.

In those 10 years, Taylor has been a coordinator twice. In 2015, Taylor was the offensive coordinator of the 6-10 Miami Dolphins. That year, the Dolphins scored 20 or fewer points 12 times and were just 63-for-205 on third down (30.7 percent). You might believe that Dolphins team was not talented, but with the likes of running backs Lamar Miller and Jay Ajayi, as well as receivers Jarvis Landry and Kenny Stills, the Fins scored just 310 points all year, averaged 19.4 for the season and could barely convert third downs.

At the University of Cincinnati in 2016, Taylor inherited a team that scored 440 points the year before. However, the next season, under the direction of Taylor, the Bearcats scored 232 points for the season, had four games in which they scored fewer than 10 points, and were 69-for-182 on third down, converting just 37.9 percent.

So with these less-than-impressive numbers, how did Taylor become a head coach? The only logical answer: “the Sean McVay factor,” since Taylor was the quarterback coach in Los Angeles during the last two seasons.

Look, I am not some old NFL veteran who does not believe youth deserves its opportunity, but did anyone watch the Super Bowl this year? And let’s say Taylor is the second coming of Sean; wouldn’t that brilliance show up in Miami during the ‘15 campaign, or on the campus of the University of Cincinnati? If McVay was coaching at either place, I bet the numbers would be way different.

How can this work in Cincinnati now? The Bengals needed a tough coach. They needed a drill instructor to get their team to become more disciplined and focused. The Bengals have talent but lack attention to detail on both sides of the ball. They might believe Taylor will bring out the best in Andy Dalton. But even if Dalton’s play improves, who will keep the team in line and handle the different personalities? Can Taylor do this? Call me skeptical.

The other area in which Taylor lacks experience and expertise in is player personnel. And in Cincinnati, the head coach and staff must be good coaches but also good evaluators because the front office relies on their opinions. With the right head coach and staff, this could prove to be an effective way of team building. But with the wrong crew, this could become toxic fast.

I wish I were more optimistic about the Bengals’ future, but this move reminds me of when Bengals owner Mike Brown hired David Shula in 1992 at the tender age of 32, passing on Bill Cowher. Brown felt that he and Shula shared the same background, being sons of famous coaches. Shula lasted four-plus seasons and had a career record of 19-52. I keep looking for reasons why this time might be different. Unfortunately, I cannot find any.

Eight new coaches in one year. Why do I have a feeling one of these eight might just become one and done and the remaining might only have two seasons to prove they belong?
Reply/Quote
Homer translation--people who don't see the absolute worst in every little thing that happens or look for things to whine about or act like the sky is falling or the world will end tomorrow.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Not sure how it will all turn out. Probably somewhere in the middle. It's good to be reminded of what could be though. He is very young and to me seems a bit naive for the position. The stats from Lombardi's article were pretty crazy.

Hopefully he shocks the world. lol
Reply/Quote
The only thing looking bad right now is not having a Defensive staff set. And he didn't even mention that. He's just spitting the regular Bengals doubt. That's where the money is. You'd be foolish to give them the benefit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:21 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Not sure how it will all turn out. Probably somewhere in the middle. It's good to be reminded of what could be though. He is very young and to me seems a bit naive for the position. The stats from Lombardi's article were pretty crazy.

Hopefully he shocks the world. lol

The stats definately are a red flag of sorts.

He could end up being a better HC than an offensive coordinator. That happens from time to time.

He could also grow into the position over time and be a good HC.

I think the notion that it's a slam dunk that he's better than Marvin is a false narrative though. He may end up better. It's not a guarantee.
Reply/Quote
Not taking a stance here....but maybe whoever this guy is could just do a simple Google search next time before he spouts out a half truth. Wasn't he only OC like 5 games with the Dolphins? Yep, that was Bill Lazors squad. 

I mean at least be right when you hammer someone. Jesus, that's common knowledge. Talk about shit shock journalism. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
"Call me skeptical, but when a guy doesn't even have his facts straight, I put little stock in that guy's opinion." Mellow

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:37 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Not taking a stance here....but maybe whoever this guy is could just do a simple Google search next time before he spouts out a half truth. Wasn't he only OC like 5 games with the Dolphins? Yep, that was Bill Lazors squad. 

I mean at least be right when you hammer someone. Jesus, that's common knowledge. Talk about shit shock journalism. 

I tried pointing out how bad that Dolphins offense was when Lazor was brought in and nobody thought it would foreshadow anything he did here. Remember how that worked out?

Not inferring anything on Taylor from that Dolphins team, just that people can allow optimism to blind them sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:42 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I tried pointing out how bad that Dolphins offense was when Lazor was brought in and nobody thought it would foreshadow anything he did here. Remember how that worked out?

Not inferring anything on Taylor from that Dolphins team, just that people can allow optimism to blind them sometimes.

You were correct. That said, damn....we couldn't roll with Zampese! LOL.

I don't know how all of this will turn out. I'm waiting until opening day. The DC shit is bad. That said, I can't put much stock in an "expert" that doesn't even know what a bunch of a schlubs on a message board know.

Reply/Quote
Michael Lombardi on Doug Pederson, yeah, remember him, the guy who outfoxed Bill Belichick and won a SB:

“He might be less qualified to coach a team than anyone I’ve ever seen in my 30-plus years in the NFL,” Lombardi said of Pederson in September. “Everybody knows Pederson isn’t a head coach. He might be less qualified to coach a team than anyone I’ve ever seen,” Lombardi continued. “When will the Eagles admit their mistake? Will they throw away 2017 by stubbornly sticking to the Pederson Principle?”

Yeah, Michael Lombardi, the guy who has been fired from every NFL job he ever had. So, being panned by that guy is actually a ringing endorsement. He knows coaches alright.

Thread--giant fail.

There goes one horde of Mongols shot down coming over the hill.

NEXT!!!
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:48 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: You were correct. That said, damn....we couldn't roll with Zampese! LOL.

I don't know how all of this will turn out. I'm waiting until opening day. The DC shit is bad. That said, I can't put much stock in an "expert" that doesn't even know what a bunch of a schlubs on a message board know.

I’m waiting for the season to make any permanent opinions. Currently trying to stay cautiously optimistic/pragmatic.
Reply/Quote
No one knows with certainty how Taylor will perform as a Head Coach of an NFL team. The most pundits can do is extrapolate from prior performance in related but in less influential roles. Taylor was the OC at a UC but did not have control over many factors that could influence the results i.e., player personnel, and more importantly a limited time to develop players and relationships with players. The head coach at the time seemed to be detached from the program the last year according to UC fans.

Taylor did not have a long stunt with the Dolphins and again, Lazor was involved. He worked as a QB coach for LAR and learned from an innovative head coach and took part in the development of a highly talented albeit young QB.

Taylor has more control over personnel decisions and more control over the outcome. He may succeed or he may fail. No one knows.

But this is known; Marvin Lewis did a wonderful job elevating the culture of an NFL laughing stock franchise to many playoffs appearance. Lewis did what he could over 16 years working with an owner that is stubborn, traditional, and infamous for how the franchise was perceived as a bottom feeder. Lewis was done. A change was needed.

The Front Office of the Bengals took a gamble and allowed a new and bright minded coach in Taylor take control and change the culture of the coaching personnel and eventually will get players to fit what he believes is the "new" blue-print of a high powered, innovative NFL team. It is shocking of all the changes the front office made this off season. The fact is the Cincinnati Bengals have changed the face of the franchise with who they believe will raise the bar of team performance to the level of the LAR, KC, or NOS.

Sure, the Bengals could have hired an experienced, traditional coach. But the rules this day and age have changed the way the NFL is played. Taylor and Bieniemy are considered coaches on the cutting edge. It is a risk and the change may take time but kudos to the front office for taking that risk.

Taylor has yet coached and pundits and some fans are already predicting doom. I know this, I am excited. I know some players are hopeful and excited for change. I could care less what the pundits think. If you are a true fan of the Bengals, give Taylor time to change things and get the right players. Trust the process.

If things don't work out, the Bengals could always hire someone else. But the Bengals future could be bright; no one really knows at this point which leaves room for hope for most fans, and room for doubt by haters.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I have no idea how the Taylor era will go or how long it will last. As a Bengals fan I hope they do well.

So far, it's not going smoothly. There are red flags. If Taylor isn't the right guy then I hope we find out quickly. If he's not the right guy, players like Mixon and Hubbard are going to speak out.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 05:12 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I have no idea how the Taylor era will go or how long it will last. As a Bengals fan I hope they do well.

So far, it's not going smoothly. There are red flags. If Taylor isn't the right guy then I hope we find out quickly. If he's not the right guy, players like Mixon and Hubbard are going to speak out.

Why Hubbard?

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 05:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why Hubbard?

He spoke out this year.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 02:23 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’m waiting for the season to make any permanent opinions. Currently trying to stay cautiously optimistic/pragmatic.

This is me.  I'm excited to see how the changes look, I like what he did on the offensive side, sans Turner, I'm concerned a bit with the defense. That said, cautiously optimistic is the Bengals' fans mantra for the better of a decade, right? The FO seems to have held true to the NFL rule about coach tampering, and it bit them a bit. Getting such a late start due to a stupid rule isn't doing us any favors.

(02-16-2019, 02:26 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: No one knows with certainty how Taylor will perform as a Head Coach of an NFL team.  The most pundits can do is extrapolate from prior performance in related but in less influential roles.  Taylor was the OC at a UC but did not have control over many factors that could influence the results i.e., player personnel, and more importantly a limited time to develop players and relationships with players.  The head coach at the time seemed to be detached from the program the last year according to UC fans.  

Taylor did not have a long stunt with the Dolphins and again, Lazor was involved.  He worked as a QB coach for LAR and learned from an innovative head coach and took part in the development of a highly talented albeit young QB.  

Taylor has more control over personnel decisions and more control over the outcome.  He may succeed or he may fail. No one knows.

But this is known; Marvin Lewis did a wonderful job elevating the culture of an NFL laughing stock franchise to many playoffs appearance.  Lewis did what he could over 16 years working with an owner that is stubborn, traditional, and infamous for how the franchise was perceived as a bottom feeder.  Lewis was done.  A change was needed.  

The Front Office of the Bengals took a gamble and allowed a new and bright minded coach in Taylor take control and change the culture of the coaching personnel and eventually will get players to fit what he believes is the "new" blue-print of a high powered, innovative NFL team.  It is shocking of all the changes the front office made this off season.  The fact is the Cincinnati Bengals have changed the face of the franchise with who they believe will raise the bar of team performance to the level of the LAR, KC, or NOS.

Sure, the Bengals could have hired an experienced, traditional coach.  But the rules this day and age have changed the way the NFL is played.  Taylor and Bieniemy are considered coaches on the cutting edge.  It is a risk and the change may take time but kudos to the front office for taking that risk.  

Taylor has yet coached and pundits and some fans are already predicting doom.  I know this, I am excited.  I know some players are hopeful and excited for change.  I could care less what the pundits think.  If you are a true fan of the Bengals, give Taylor time to change things and get the right players.  Trust the process.  

If things don't work out, the Bengals could always hire someone else.  But the Bengals future could be bright; no one really knows at this point which leaves room for hope for most fans, and room for doubt by haters.

Very well said doc.

Reply/Quote
It is somewhat possible that this guy could be a better HC than an OC or position coach. That happens.

Cowher was a special teams coach.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 10:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It is somewhat possible that this guy could be a better HC than an OC or position coach. That happens.

Cowher was a special teams coach.

I read a Doc piece outlying the first year HCs, and from past hire history, there’s a 40% chance it works. And some of the names where it works, it really works (Cowher, McVay, Tomlin, and another one I’m forgetting). So that’s actually pretty good odds
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
There certainly are red flags, but you also can't see the future so ehh. This sort of reminds me of my 3rd marriage, actually.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:13 AM)Nately120 Wrote: There certainly are red flags, but you also can't see the future so ehh.  This sort of reminds me of my 3rd marriage, actually.

C'mon man, a smart fellow like yourself should have learned from the 1st two go arounds..   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote