Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock!
(02-27-2023, 03:59 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Woah, woah, woah.

Its one thing to think Mayer will be good. Its another to discredit everything Glass Man did for this organization. Acting like Eifert wouldn't have been able to compete with Gronk for TE1 of his generation if it weren't for injuries is a mass disservice to the man.

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

There's no way you're serious with that!

Don't get me wrong because I definitely think he could have been a lot better if not for the injuries, but to pretend like he was Hall of Fame level is a bit far-fetched.

He was more of a glorified receiver than the traditional tight end.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 04:12 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: That is all fair, but we want guys who can play both ways at TE. If not, then you are giving up the play via personnel. Or our run blocking will stink, and it needs all the help it can get. It is why I think Mayer, Washington, Musgrave, & Kraft are much more likely for us than a guy like Kincaid. 

If you want an elusive guy you can split out and make people miss, just go ahead & take a WR (Flowers, Hyatt, etc) or a RB (Gibbs, Spears, Achane). I don't want to waste a Rd1-Rd2 pick on a guy who isn't capable of playing in our base offense. A receiver only TE could be had much later, a guy like Mallory out of the U. 

To be fair to Kincaid, it looks like he has bulked up some. But still has that rep as an off line TE who played split out more than in line. 

Imma be honest - I can totally see Darnell Washington being the Bengals' selection at 28, and quite a few fans being like, "BUT HE ISN'T A GOOD ENOUGH RECEIVER!"
But he's hands down the best blocker of this group, and we know the Bengals put high value on TEs blocking.

He is one of the dudes I'm most excited to see perform in Combine drills this week.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 03:22 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Why? Gresham and Eifert weren't anything to write home about and weren't even traditional tight ends.

Mayer is the traditional tight end but then can also offer more of a receiving threat than Gresham and Eifert did.

I guess that solidifies it for me.  I don't want a "traditional TE" for this offense.

And, to be clear, he isn't anywhere near the receiving prospect that Eifert was. Not even in the same ball park.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 03:22 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Why? Gresham and Eifert weren't anything to write home about and weren't even traditional tight ends.

Mayer is the traditional tight end but then can also offer more of a receiving threat than Gresham and Eifert did.

Sorry but Mayer is nowhere close to the receiving threat that Eifert was. Eifert was a seam splitter and dynamic with the ball in his hands. Eifert was a huge wide receiver that could block.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2023, 08:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't think Eifert or Gresham are good comparisons to bring up in the discussions about Mayer because they were more receivers than tight ends. Mayer's a good receiver but he's more of the conventional tight end in the receiving aspect than Eifert or Gresham and Mayer can also block a hell of a lot better.

Tight end isn't a big part of our offense we've never had a tight end like Mayer but he'd be a hell of a weapon in our offense because safeties will obviously be doubling or at least shadowing Chase and then either they let Mayer try and be covered by a backer, which isn't happening, or a safety, which leaves little to cover our other receivers or keep a safety in the box to stop the run.

You'd also have to think that Burrow would tell Zac "let's go to Mayer more!"

It's a good debate to be had. 

I just see more value in getting a dynamic running back in round one than drafting a tight end (if we are going skill position). 
He'd get the ball 20 times a game vs. a TE that would see maybe 5 catches on a good day, but more likely 2 or 3.

We drafted Sample in the 2nd to block and it hasn't panned out yet. TE takes time to develop too.

I haven't looked into the draft class but if there is similar value later in the draft I wouldn't spend an early pick on TE.
A blocking tight end in the 1st is a hard one for most fans to get behind.

I'd love to see a pass rusher, blocker, corner, or dynamic playmaker. It would move the needle more for a team looking to win it all this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 08:27 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: It's a good debate to be had. 

I just see more value in getting a dynamic running back in round one than drafting a tight end (if we are going skill position). 
He'd get the ball 20 times a game vs. a TE that would see maybe 5 catches on a good day, but more likely 2 or 3.

We drafted Sample in the 2nd to block and it hasn't panned out yet. TE takes time to develop too.

I haven't looked into the draft class but if there is similar value later in the draft I wouldn't spend an early pick on TE.
A blocking tight end in the 1st is a hard one for most fans to get behind.

I'd love to see a pass rusher, blocker, corner, or dynamic playmaker. It would move the needle more for a team looking to win it all this year.

I offer you:

Payne Durham Purdue
Josh Whyle UC
Luke Schoonernaker Michigan
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 09:48 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I offer you:

Payne Durham Purdue
Josh Whyle UC
Luke Schoonernaker Michigan

Like just about everything about Whyle, and think he could end up being very good.

Every time I watch Durham, I see Drew Sample. Nice blocker...but so awkward and lumbersome.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 10:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Like just about everything about Whyle, and think he could end up being very good.

Every time I watch Durham, I see Drew Sample. Nice blocker...but so awkward and lumbersome.

i can see that assessment. He was probably the best blocker on the whole team against Michigan so I'm curious if he wasn't able to develop in college because of how much he had to do on the line for them to have any success. I'd say though he's a better catcher of the ball imo. He's not gonna get in the end zone and have the ball stolen from him. 

He's not an athletic freak but fits what the Bengals like in their TEs (sample example, Sample). He just seems like one of those guys who is gonna catch everything in his range and try to bully for the extra yards. He also was more productive than Sample in college despite the extra time blocking (higher stats in just his senior year than Samples college career).
Reply/Quote
Kiper has us taking Mysgrave at #28 in his latest mock. In a vacuum it is not crazy. But the following guys were all on the board, all at positions with higher value:

1. Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia.

Laughable to take a TE who missed almost all of last year with an injury when there is a franchise LT just sitting there. Plus, this makes it a LOT easier to just oet Jonah walk next year or transition him to another spot (RR, G) that pays less and/or allows us to move on from Collins, saving us more $$$. The others might be slight Rd 1 reaches, but not by much. But I guess one could say that we do have 2 playable LTs (Williams & Carman) and RT is more of an 8mmediate need & we can explore LT next year. OK, but then...

2. Dawand Jones, RT, Ohio State.

Boom, RT solved. Can move on from Collins.

3. Cam Smith, CB, South Carolina.
4. Keion White, DL, Georgia Tech
5. Calijah Kancey,,DT, Pitt
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 10:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Like just about everything about Whyle, and think he could end up being very good.

Payne Durham should give more confidence when it comes to receiving ability though, as he's put up nearly triple Drew Sample's stats in college.
He's definitely not going to be an elite receiving weapon though, at least if his YPC is any indication (10.1 YPC).
Durham is definitely someone the Bengals could pursue in Rd 3-5 though. He has that blocking and size they prefer.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

I would be thrilled to get Whyle from the middle down in the draft. This kid has put in the work at UC to improve every aspect of his game. Has put on mass and improved his strength and while he may not be an outstanding blocker yet he is not a liability in the department either. He is willing and wants to be better at it. When it comes to receiving I would compare him to an Eifert. The kind of guy you better pay attention to in the seams or he will make you pay.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 04:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Payne Durham should give more confidence when it comes to receiving ability though, as he's put up nearly triple Drew Sample's stats in college.
He's definitely not going to be an elite receiving weapon though, at least if his YPC is any indication (10.1 YPC).
Durham is definitely someone the Bengals could pursue in Rd 3-5 though. He has that blocking and size they prefer.

Maybe double down with Whyle and Durham on the mid rounds!!! Double down ftw.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 05:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Imma be honest - I can totally see Darnell Washington being the Bengals' selection at 28, and quite a few fans being like, "BUT HE ISN'T A GOOD ENOUGH RECEIVER!"
But he's hands down the best blocker of this group, and we know the Bengals put high value on TEs blocking...

Why would you waste a 1st round draft pick on a TE that is mainly a blocking TE?  Did we not learn anything about wasting the 2nd round Drew Sample pick?  And we should do the same thing again but with a 1st round draft pick?  Thats a horrible idea.  Im not in favor of taking any TE with the 1st round draft pick much less on a guy who is mainly a blocker.  If we are going to go that route, why not just re-sign Drew Sample.  Im sure he would be cheaper and you dont need to waste a 1st round pick on a TE.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 07:40 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Why would you waste a 1st round draft pick on a TE that is mainly a blocking TE?  Did we not learn anything about wasting the 2nd round Drew Sample pick?  And we should do the same thing again but with a 1st round draft pick?  Thats a horrible idea.  Im not in favor of taking any TE with the 1st round draft pick much less on a guy who is mainly a blocker.  If we are going to go that route, why not just re-sign Drew Sample.  Im sure he would be cheaper and you dont need to waste a 1st round pick on a TE.

You would not waste a 1st round pick on a TE that cannot also be a good factor as a pass catcher, I agree.

The only reason you would spend a 1st rounder on someone like Darnell Washington is that you think he can become a really good pass catcher and just was not given enough opportunities and/or not quite developed enough at this point but could get there. 

Think of like OJ Howard when he came out.
While not used heavily as a receiver in college, his athleticism and speed combined with his pass catching tape convinced people he could be a better receiver than he was able to demonstrate at Alabama.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 02:25 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Kiper has us taking Mysgrave at #28 in his latest mock. In a vacuum it is not crazy. But the following guys were all on the board, all at positions with higher value:

1. Broderick Jones, OT,  Georgia.

Laughable to take a TE who missed almost all of last year with an injury when there is a franchise LT just sitting there. Plus, this makes it a LOT easier to just oet Jonah walk next year or transition him to another spot (RR, G) that pays less and/or allows us to move on from Collins, saving us more $$$. The others might be slight Rd 1 reaches, but not by much. But I guess one could say that we do have 2 playable LTs (Williams & Carman) and RT is more of an 8mmediate need & we can explore LT next year. OK, but then...

2. Dawand Jones, RT, Ohio State.

Boom, RT solved. Can move on from Collins.

3. Cam Smith, CB, South Carolina.
4. Keion White, DL, Georgia Tech
5. Calijah Kancey,,DT, Pitt

If the Bengals take the 3rd best anything in the 1st round I will vomit. I think they should BPA in the 1st & 2nd.... Fill needs/depth/development in the 3-7th
Reply/Quote
Brad, just to make you happy, Bengals met with Mayer (And Washington, and Kincaid, and Laporta) at the combine per Malik
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 01:16 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Brad, just to make you happy, Bengals met with Mayer (And Washington, and Kincaid, and Laporta) at the combine per Malik

He's killing interviews and everything, so I'm having doubts that he falls to us!

At his combine press conference, he said that "catching passes from Burrow would be awesome" and he said that his NFL comparison is Kelce. 

Said his strength is receiving but he's a willing blocker.

You can see the interview here.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 01:16 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Brad, just to make you happy, Bengals met with Mayer (And Washington, and Kincaid, and Laporta) at the combine per Malik

Love how Malik says the Bengals didn't meet with Luke Musgrave at the combine. He forgot to mention Musgrave met with all 32 teams at the Senior Bowl. From what I can tell most of the meetings he mentioned weren't Senior bowl guys.

Tucker Kraft is high on my list of guys I want to see at the combine agility drills will be big for him but I want to see him run routes, drop his hips, and show a little explosiveness as a route runner. Right now he is a TE-Y with a ton of talent but can he step out and play WR and beat corners consistently.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 03:28 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He's killing interviews and everything, so I'm having doubts that he falls to us!

At his combine press conference, he said that "catching passes from Burrow would be awesome" and he said that his NFL comparison is Kelce. 

Said his strength is receiving but he's a willing blocker.

You can see the interview here.

Not going to lie though, statements like that (from any prospect, any position) annoy me to no end.

"Um, yeah, clearly I compare to the GoAT at my position group". Yes, I know its not exactly what he said but how it came across when I read the interview.

That may be just me though.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 03:45 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Not going to lie though, statements like that (from any prospect, any position) annoy me to no end.

"Um, yeah, clearly I compare to the GoAT at my position group". Yes, I know its not exactly what he said but how it came across when I read the interview.

That may be just me though.

I wish I could find the video, but I remember seeing a pre-draft interview with Burrow where the reporter brings up Tom Brady. Burrow basically says, "Please don't compare me to the GOAT." Another "Burrow is the man" moment that aligns with your thinking.
Reply/Quote