Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michelle wolf, Sarah huckabee, and the WHCD
(05-03-2018, 03:39 PM)PhilHos Wrote: To be fair, most comedians who aren't stand up comcis (and even many who are) will have cue cards or teleprompters when giving a speech even one that's supposed to be a comedic speech.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/roastmaster-general-jeff-ross-message-to-the-white-house-correspondents-association?via=twitter_page&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

Good read about the "outrage" and the jokes.

In reference to the cue cards:

Quote:
  • Lower your expectations. This isn’t Broadway. This isn’t opera. When a comic performs at a roast they are essentially trying out new material written just for that night. Not every joke works. And when the room is filled with powerful people, like at the WHCD, the tension is raised and the humor hits more intensely. That’s why I enjoy watching this event year after year—especially when the comics take big swings the way Michelle did. When a comic finally gets to the podium, they are giving a final performance of a work in progress. Some lines work and some don’t. Some are meant for “the room” and some are meant for those watching at home. For the performer, this isn’t just a high-profile gig—it’s an act of patriotism. It’s a rare and precious opportunity to get adversaries in the same room laughing at the same things, which can only help to humanize both sides.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Michelle Wolf is unwatchable for me. I like the Daily Show. When she comes on i generally change the channel.

Could care less about the jokes she made. Should have got someone who doesnt make my ears bleed when she talks and i would have paid a little more attention
(05-03-2018, 11:11 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm not really interested in the opinions of people who abandon their professional ethics in the name of partisan politics.

So your not interested in the opinions of the majority of members of congress. Got it.
(05-03-2018, 04:59 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: So your not interested in the opinions of the majority politicians in congress. Got it.

Fixed it for you. ThumbsUp
(05-03-2018, 04:59 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: So your not interested in the opinions of the majority of members of congress. Got it.

I don't really consider politician a profession.  Even if you do, I certainly wouldn't associate ethics with it, regardless of party.
(05-03-2018, 04:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.thedailybeast.com/roastmaster-general-jeff-ross-message-to-the-white-house-correspondents-association?via=twitter_page&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

Good read about the "outrage" and the jokes.

In reference to the cue cards:

Throughout the years and in his book, I believe, Ross has also said not to roast someone you hate and to intersperse praise amongst the burns. I have no idea if that's what Wolf did because I haven't watched a WHCD ever which is why I haven't commented on anything she did or said in this thread.
(05-03-2018, 12:48 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm not saying Trump deserves a Nobel prize, but what exactly did Obama do to earn his?

Ha ha, whataboutObama. I think he said some nice words, at least.  For the record I don't see what he did to deserve it beyond that. I think the world was just releived Bush was gone. It may even been an attempt to encourage Obama to stay on the peace track.

My questioning Trump supporters early enthusiasm is just a reminder of 1) how little Trump is actually involved in the process and 2) how doubtful any positive outcome remains.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-03-2018, 03:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: My point is that Obama certainly didn't deserve it; might as well give it to Trump. Complete the process of making the Nobel Peace Prize completely meaningless.

Obama hated that he got the prize when he did and in his acceptance speech acknowledged how undeserving of the award he was. What do you think Trump's reaction would be to receiving it?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-04-2018, 04:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Obama hated that he got the prize when he did and in his acceptance speech acknowledged how undeserving of the award he was. What do you think Trump's reaction would be to receiving it?

Let's wait and see how the meeting with Kim Jong In goes, and if he can help avert a war between Israel and Iran, before we go handing out the award.

However, if those two events go well, he might be most deserving.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-04-2018, 04:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Obama hated that he got the prize when he did and in his acceptance speech acknowledged how undeserving of the award he was. 

He still accepted it, no? I personally can't stand when someone gets an award and then expounds on how undeserving they are. I just want them to shut up and say 'Thanks'. It's not just Obama, but ANYONE. 

(05-04-2018, 04:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote:  What do you think Trump's reaction would be to receiving it?

Oh, I don't doubt Trump would wax "eloquent" about how deserving he was and how it proved something about the kind of president he is.
(05-04-2018, 04:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Obama hated that he got the prize when he did and in his acceptance speech acknowledged how undeserving of the award he was. What do you think Trump's reaction would be to receiving it?

More appreciative.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-04-2018, 04:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's wait and see how the meeting with Kim Jong In goes, and if he can help avert a war between Israel and Iran, before we go handing out the award.

However, if those two events go well, he might be most deserving.

Since no one seems to care about the logic of not meeting with Kim I just focus on the second part:

If we can help avert a war that has happened?

What he prevents a zombie apocalypse? What if he keep the Spanish Flu from coming back?

It's pretty unreal how far Trump fans will go to lower the bar and celebrate what he has "done".
(05-04-2018, 04:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: Since no one seems to care about the logic of not meeting with Kim I just focus on the second part:

If we can help avert a war that has happened?

What he prevents a zombie apocalypse? What if he keep the Spanish Flu from coming back?

It's pretty unreal how far Trump fans will go to lower the bar and celebrate what he has "done".

I thought I read this morning that a time and date for the meeting had been set.  Did it get cancelled?

Also saw that Rasmussen has Trump at 51% approval rate.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-04-2018, 04:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I thought I read this morning that a time and date for the meeting had been set.  Did it get cancelled?

Eh, that's an outlier and Rasumussen is a notoriously biased pollster. His approval rating has been climbing, hovering a little above 40% based upon a meta-analysis of the various polls.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-04-2018, 04:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I thought I read this morning that a time and date for the meeting had been set.  Did it get cancelled?

I heard the same, and it won't get cancelled.  I'm talking about why no sitting POTUS met with a NK leader before.
(05-04-2018, 04:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: I heard the same, and it won't get cancelled.  I'm talking about why no sitting POTUS met with a NK leader before.

So, you think he should just pay him off, like Clinton did?  Or like Obama did to Iran?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-04-2018, 05:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, you think he should just pay him off, like Clinton did?  Or like Obama did to Iran?

Obama didn't pay off Iran. Those were Iranian funds that were being given back to them.

(05-04-2018, 05:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, you think he should just pay him off, like Clinton did?  Or like Obama did to Iran?

Funny, you left out Bush. Hilarious

Like I said:  No one wants to look at the history of Nk and what they have promised and what has happened.  Trump Fans think he and he alson can do this because...Trump.

I am always hopeful for peace.
Wolf was mild. You want to watch funny and biting youtube Seth Meyers and Jimmy Kimmel's set at the WHCD. I peed my pants. Bush and Obama had the balls to show up. Hilarious