Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microfracture Surgery in the NFL
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2007/microfracture-nfl

Seems to be more common in basketball with more successful recoveries in that sport.

Dan Marino had it early in his career, but was a pocket QB not as mobile.

Seems the more stress put on the knee the less likely successful recoveries.

LBs definitely put a lot of stress on their knees, but if anyone is onery enough to overcome it would be someone like Burfict.

Time will tell.
Reply/Quote
Time will tell but also keep in mind that the surgery itself is more refined than it was done in the analysis you posted from 2007. Different physical therapy techniques also improve the outcome. Tez's biggest advantage is that he doesn't have a long history of knee surgeries behind him so his knee isn't all gunked up with scar tissue.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
That article was from 2007, microfractrue surgery has gotten alot better.
Reply/Quote
http://www.stoneclinic.com/blog/why-microfracture-fails

Here's one from 2015.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2015, 10:19 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: http://www.stoneclinic.com/blog/why-microfracture-fails

Here's one from 2015.

Can't you find one with any sort of success rate information?
Reply/Quote
http://www.miamiherald.com/living/article1959841.html

An article from 2014.

An excerpt from the article:

"A recent study in professional athletes revealed that 40 percent of the athletes who received microfracture surgery return to play at their previous level, 40 percent return to play in a diminished capacity and 20 percent were unable to return to professional sports. Even if successful, the fibrocartilage that fills the defect is not as durable as the original articular cartilage and can break down."
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2015, 10:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Can't you find one with any sort of success rate information?

Revis has had it... No?

Amare Stoudemire came back fairly well, and Jason Kidd didn't totally suck afterward.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2015, 11:29 PM)jason Wrote: Revis has had it... No?

Amare Stoudemire came back fairly well, and Jason Kidd didn't totally suck afterward.
"The knee injury, suffered in Week 3 of the 2012 season, was one of the factors that prompted the Jets to trade Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Revis admitted he didn't feel 100 percent healthy until Week 4 or 5 last season, when he was playing for the New England Patriots. He still managed to make the All-Pro team, becoming a vital piece on the Patriots' Super Bowl championship team."

Above is an excerpt from the article below.

Revis said he didn't feel 100% until 2 years after the injury.

http://abc7ny.com/sports/darrelle-revis-mulled-retiring-following-microfracture-surgery/869733/
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2015, 11:29 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: http://www.miamiherald.com/living/article1959841.html

An article from 2014.

An excerpt from the article:

"A recent study in professional athletes revealed that 40 percent of the athletes who received microfracture surgery return to play at their previous level, 40 percent return to play in a diminished capacity and 20 percent were unable to return to professional sports. Even if successful, the fibrocartilage that fills the defect is not as durable as the original articular cartilage and can break down."

40%--I like those odds when you add the will of the player to the equation.

We get it.  It's not a sure thing.  My question to you is why are you taking such delight in painting the gloomiest possible picture? 

Anyway, we just have to wait and see so just give it a rest already, please.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2015, 11:53 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: "The knee injury, suffered in Week 3 of the 2012 season, was one of the factors that prompted the Jets to trade Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Revis admitted he didn't feel 100 percent healthy until Week 4 or 5 last season, when he was playing for the New England Patriots. He still managed to make the All-Pro team, becoming a vital piece on the Patriots' Super Bowl championship team."

Above is an excerpt from the article below.

Revis said he didn't feel 100% until 2 years after the injury.

http://abc7ny.com/sports/darrelle-revis-mulled-retiring-following-microfracture-surgery/869733/
I've been skeptical about Burfict playing this year, but I seem to remember the biggest factor in the Jets trading Revis was the fact that he wanted a new deal, or a restructuring of his contract after every season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 12:02 AM)McC Wrote: 40%--I like those odds when you add the will of the player to the equation.

We get it.  It's not a sure thing.  My question to you is why are you taking such delight in painting the gloomiest possible picture? 

Delight?  Since when is being real mean delightful?  Expect the worst, hope for the best.  

It's amazing how this karma, during the good times, is praised, but the same karma and looking for the positive, after a loss, or losses, turns into 'homer' bashing!
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 12:12 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Delight?  Since when is being real mean delightful?  Expect the worst, hope for the best.  

It's amazing how this karma, during the good times, is praised, but the same karma and looking for the positive, after a loss, or losses, turns into 'homer' bashing!

That might have been true the first few times you said it.  You wanna call it being real, go ahead.  But don't  piss down my neck and try to tell me it's raining.   It's not that hard to see through you, believe me.

Also, if he comes back like he was, will you be here admitting what a turn you've been? Doubtful.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
It takes ANY joint for anybody 12-24 months after a major invasive surgery before it feels as good as it will so Revis's experience was pretty normal. While on one hand it might seem like you can compare basketball players and football players the reality is they actually put different forces on their knee joints. In addition to the sharp turning and abrupt starting and stopping they do, basketball players JUMP and do that on an unyielding surface, that puts tremendous pressure on the knee joint. Basketball players height also plays into their outcomes, the taller you are the looser the support tissue is around the joints. That helps prenvents some of the ligament and tendon injuries we see in football but it also allows for greater normal wearing of the cartiledge.

Tez is young and in excellent shape. he doesn't have a history of knee surgery for (most of those basketball players microfracture was a last resort surgery), as far as we know the support structure of the knee is intact. True, he may not be 100% back to the player we know but the odds are in his favor for a good outcome. Though it will likely be next season before he can play without thinking about the knee.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 10:30 AM)McC Wrote: Also, if he comes back like he was, will you be here admitting what a turd you've been?  Doubtful.

Fixed it for ya.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 12:12 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Delight?  Since when is being real mean delightful? 

There is nothing even close to "real" about predicting the Bengals will finish 2-7 and miss the playoffs.

There is nothing "real" about calling people "delusional" for expecting something that happens almost half the time (40%)

You must still just be a beginner troll.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 10:30 AM)McC Wrote: That might have been true the first few times you said it.  You wanna call it being real, go ahead.  But don't  piss down my neck and try to tell me it's raining.   It's not that hard to see through you, believe me.

Also, if he comes back like he was, will you be here admitting what a turn you've been?  Doubtful.

Again, expect the worst, hope for the best, rejoice if the best shines through. Being real.

As far as the hate and attacks in your post, I will not return hate for hate.

Using hate and attacking members should get me banned!
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 11:17 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Again, expect the worst, hope for the best, rejoice if the best shines through. Being real.

As far as the hate and attacks in your post, I will not return hate for hate.

Using hate and attacking members should get me banned!

Loser talk. 

You wanna call that being real, have at it.  Just don't think you're fooling anyone.

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 12:02 AM)McC Wrote: 40%--I like those odds when you add the will of the player to the equation.

Don't worry, after we beat his team tomorrow he'll disappear. I guess from his perspective it doesn't hurt to hope Burfict can't make it back ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is arguably the worst surgery an athlete can have. As others have noted it's very rare in the NFL and in the NBA most never get back to form. The only thing Burfict has on his side is that he's fairly young when he had the procedure and could eventually get back to form. I don't think that will be this season (back to form meaning playing at an all-pro level).
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 12:47 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: As others have noted it's very rare in the NFL and in the NBA most never get back to form.

I don't care what "others" say.  The only recent study I have seen on this says that 40% of players return to their previous level of play, and another 40% are able to return and play at a lower level.

I call 40% "almost half of the time" instead of "very rare".
Reply/Quote