Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown Calling Out Coaching For Poor Start
(09-28-2017, 09:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Dude...all these theories that Katie is running the show and calling the shots...we've seen no evidence of that. None. It's all wild speculation.

Marvin has had 15 years to build a winner. 15 years! Other teams fire coaches after 2-3 years in the same spot. Other teams lose playoff games and fire their coach. Marvin is 0-7.

It's OBVIOUS TO EVERYONE that he ISN'T THE ANSWER.

I didn’t say she was running show. I said maybe she has wanted Marvin gone and maybe mikey was finally listening. Maybe mikey got some new bifocals and is starting to see it himself.

Regardless, the only thing that keeps marv here is a playoff win. And I think he looks done regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Being there are only 32 head coaches in the league and only so many assistant coaches currently employed in the league that leaves a lot of potential coaches still out there who could be hired. Then you have to whittle away those who don't want the job, those who wouldn't really fit, those who would want full autonomy and so on. There's probably plenty we don't even know are available. I certainly don't have some extensive list of unemployed genius coaches sitting around in my tool box...I kind of doubt ol Mikey does either..
IF Marvin is canned sometime during the season they'll likely name an interim coach to pretend for the remainder of the season and start finding potential replacements soon as the last game of the season is over. 
Whoever may or may not be the interim would really have to have the team winning and winning big to stay on the following season you would think, but it's the Bengals so that's still up for debate. Heck, with Mikey he might not even have to win to keep the job for the next 15 years as long as he's good at sipping cocktails at the Brown mansion and has the ability to say, 'Please pass the sweet and sour shrimp!' with the right cadence and doesn't get the idea that we have to win to keep the NFL money train bringing in car after car of cash rolling in.  
Alright, that's my cynical side. After all, I am a conspiracy theory guy and don't necessarily buy into the idea that winning is required to keep the family in plenty o' dough ..That much has been proven already. 

Hey, I'd LOVE to be proven absolutely wrong and this team can and will win the super bowl, but thus far all we've ever seen is the Brown family still getting rich, the team not winning and Marvin still at the helm steering the ship right into the rocks in hurricane season.  

God, I hate being so cynical!  (ok, not really) 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 09:35 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A midseason firing essentially guarantees us more of the same old. They'd slide Guenther or Alexander into the HC spot...and slide the other coordinators up a slot.

Then, seeing as they didn't have a full year to evaluate this coach...they'd retain him into the future.

There is a real chance if Lewis is fired that Alexander takes over.

Or.......maybe Piano Man is the "coaching issue" Son of Paul is referring to..... Hmm 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 03:05 AM)GodFather Wrote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/09/26/nfl-hot-seat-rankings-marvin-lewis-winless-cincinnati-bengals-chuck-pagano-colts/705588001/

“1. Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals: NFL Media reported Sunday morning that owner Mike Brown had previously "informed the coaching staff that the talent is not the problem" with his winless team. Then, despite their best performance of the season at Green Bay, the Bengals subsequently fell to 0-3, virtually guaranteeing consecutive seasons outside of the playoffs for lame duck Lewis, who's never won a postseason game in 14 years on the job. Last week: 1”

Anyone else hear that Mike Brown is actually saying this?  C’mon Mikey pull the trigger and make a statement on your 50th anniversary that the fans don’t have to endure a full season of Lewis at head coach!

This is the pot calling the kettle black. 

Not standing up for any coaching going on here, but just maybe MB should look in the mirror as well. 

Because even though I do not hate Ross. We had way more pressing needs and it reeks of a MB selection to sell tickets and jerseys to me. 

The OL is the main problem this season and everybody seen it coming when it was not addressed. 

Believe it will be an assistant that gets axed if anybody. Hopefully PA, but him and Pacman seem to be grandfathered in.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 09:39 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That's scarier than a horror movie.  My only consolation is I can't recall any position coaches going straight to head coach before.  It may have happened and if someone knows of an instance of this, please share.  Mike Brown isn't happy and that pleases me immensely because he wants to win.

I think there is a chance that Haslett is the interim as he has been a HC before.

If that happens, I doubt they go Guenther in the offseason.

Moving Haslett into that role doesn't disrupt the defense though.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 09:41 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The talent is the problem. No one is winning games with that offensive line. Don't take the bait, people. MIKE BROWN is the problem with this team. If his cheap ass would have resigned at least one of our best offensive lineman from last year maybe we would have a win by now.

MIKE BROWN hasnt wont a playoff game in nearly two decades. What a loser.

Yeah. The headline should read:

GM who hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years calls out coaches who haven't won playoff game in 15+ years.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 09:43 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I didn’t say she was running show.  I said maybe she has wanted Marvin gone and maybe mikey was finally listening.  Maybe mikey got some new bifocals and is starting to see it himself.

Regardless, the only thing that keeps marv here is a playoff win.  And I think he looks done regardless.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marvin is in the last year of his contract. This is easy for Bengals management. If he had 3 years left they'd never do this.

This is classic misdirection. Blame the coach for failing while the offensive line is in shambles and you make a profit.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 10:07 AM)Go Cards Wrote: This is the pot calling the kettle black. 

Not standing up for any coaching going on here, but just maybe MB should look in the mirror as well. 

Because even though I do not hate Ross. We had way more pressing needs and it reeks of a MB selection to sell tickets and jerseys to me. 

The OL is the main problem this season and everybody seen it coming when it was not addressed. 

Believe it will be an assistant that gets axed if anybody. Hopefully PA, but him and Pacman seem to be grandfathered in.  

Said GM offered Zeitler $5.5 million a year. $5.5 million AFTER DeCastro signed for $10 million a year.

Then, once free agency started, they didn't offer him a contract.

That is just being painfully out of touch with NFL salaries. $5.5 million for a Guard is 2005 salary numbers.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown no longer has the mental capacity to formulate and act on a plan. He wears diapers for Christ sakes. The only positive change I'll see in my lifetime is when the league forces Katie to sell the team and moves them to London. Might be decent with genetically varied, competent ownership.
Reply/Quote
All we have to do is beat the Browns and we'll already be 25% of the way towards Marvin's extension quota, right?
Reply/Quote
Lol its funny

All we hear all the time is..."Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis never hold anyone accountable." Both do so in following weeks and we get two different threads bashing them for that very reason.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Job opening: A Washington Generals type who isn't afraid to toss every single player under the bus to keep the team as perpetual loss leader. Must have excellent giggling skills and able to deflect tough questions from the media to show who's really in charge! Has knowledge of how to squander talent at every level and get the most out of season ticket holders who hope against all odds that team can win despite you. 
I'm sure I'm leaving out plenty of requirements.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 10:17 AM)Synric Wrote: Lol its funny

All we hear all the time is..."Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis never hold anyone accountable." Both do so in following weeks and we get two different threads bashing them for that very reason.

I've never had any such delusions. Accountability?  Shirley you jest! And don't call me Surely.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 10:17 AM)Synric Wrote: Lol its funny

It's a Too Little Too Late Scenario at this point.

When we had a Top 5 roster 3 years ago was the time to do it. Not now that our roster has been decimated by free agency and poor drafts.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 07:25 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I could never, under any circumstances root for the Browns over the Bengals. However, if a loss was to happen and Lewis was fired? Well, it would be the most satisfying loss in my fan history.

I hear ya buddy and basically feel the same way, but, I'd be willing to do whatever for change to take place ! We're running out of time - fast.

(09-28-2017, 08:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Marv is done without a playoff win, end of story.  Firing him midseason would not allow the Bengals to interview the best candidates and would likely accomplish very little.  I would like, however, to see more of the other pieces and less of the retreads that we know suck.  

Agree, but in the same breath it would fire a shot across the bow of this team that accountability is now taking place. I can't imagine Mike Brown actually doing it. It's needed done for a long, long, time ! And without something shaking these guys up this season it's all but done anyways.

Hire an interim HC and go thru the process this off season. Culture change is very badly needed here ! Will Mike Brown actually do it ?

I'd be surprised
Reply/Quote
And who the **** do you people think Katie can possibly convince to come hear to coach? Hey come be a HC and do the work of 10 people on our non existent scouting dept! We throw family style gatherings at our pool for the coaching staff each year! Sounds fun huh! Oh and my drooling geriatric father will be in your ear about nonsense all day. Come to cincy... for a few years till we move.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 10:35 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I hear ya buddy and basically feel the same way, but, I'd be willing to do whatever for change to take place ! We're running out of time - fast.

Agree, but in the same breath it would fire a shot across the bow of this team that accountability is now taking place. I can't imagine Mike Brown actually doing it. It's needed done for a long, long, time ! And without something shaking these guys up this season it's all but done anyways.

Hire an interim HC and go thru the process this off season. Culture change is very badly needed here ! Will Mike Brown actually do it ?

I'd be surprised

So you say culture change and talk about a new HC...but company culture is set at the top of the organization down. Which is why we've lost for 26+ years. Changing the coaches is putting paint on a wall with cracks in it.

The same management team that reportedly offered Zeitler $5.5 million a year after DeCastro signed for $10 million will still be in place. And don't you think that demotivates the current players here when they see one of their own low-balled by that much? Maybe if the Bengals offered $8 or $9 million I could see it...but $5.5 million??? That's 2005 salary numbers.
Reply/Quote
One can only hope/wish this will happen but this is all smoke and mirrors. ML will return next year.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 10:04 AM)Wyche Wrote: Or.......maybe Piano Man is the "coaching issue" Son of Paul is referring to..... Hmm 

Honestly I think this may be the case. Think about it. What is the biggest issue (maybe the only real issue) with this team?

People are ripping Mike Brown (myself included) for not spending on o-line, but maybe in Mike's mind "we have the talent" already, just like he supposedly said in OP's quote.

That talent would be Ogbuehi, Fisher and Bodine. High picks and a guy we traded up for, all hand selected by the ivory tickler himself.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 10:08 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think there is a chance that Haslett is the interim as he has been a HC before.

If that happens, I doubt they go Guenther in the offseason.

Moving Haslett into that role doesn't disrupt the defense though.

This was my thought as well.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote