Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown: Lack of honoring former players 'probably my fault'
(07-28-2015, 07:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think I should accept some of the blame
Whew! And here I thought I was going to get blamed for this. Thanks for stepping up here. LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There is a famous quote about nostalgia. . Something about nostalgia being a seductive liar..
To me it's a bit like big, fancy tomb stones in cemeteries surrounded by all the barely noticeable stones, but all of them tell stories. One point though is someone has to be left off of the ROH's and there will always be a large contingent of butthurt fans and players.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 10:45 PM)McC Wrote: It's well known how much good MB does for people and how low key and quiet he is about it.  No one's denying that.  And it's great he helps out his former players.

But this is a separate issue.  This is about honoring players publicly, not helping them privately.

actually the issue on here seems to be not to accept that he is taking blame and looking to change it.... 
Reply/Quote
Its embarrassing that this organization does not have a ring of honor.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 09:08 PM)Anderson HOF Wrote: Well maybe you missed the main part of the article, he actually took blame and said he is relooking at it.. does it really matter that much how he said it ?  We complain that Mike does not care about retired players and then we complain when he takes blame.. amazing

PS.. The Browns do a lot of good for old players and the community but they don't boast about it and keep it as private as possible..  Greg Cook is a prime example.... 

Denny? Confused

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I would have some respect for him if he said "Why honor anyone? This team has been fairly putrid since I took over, anyways!"
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 06:45 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: He acts like he is powerless to do something about it.  No excuse whatsoever.   Pathetic.  

Oh, nice. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
"We have no statues. We have no Hall of Fame. We have no Ring of Honor," he said. "We do have large pictures of the players in the foyer of the west side. But is that enough? Probably not. I confess it isn't. Maybe someone who comes after me can do better with this." - Mike Brown

Better than large pictures? That's a tall order there!
So basically he's saying, after he dies, maybe there will be changes. Is it really a wonder why we have no playoff (let alone Super Bowl) wins after all these years? It really does start at the top.

If it wasn't for Mike Brown, who knows where we'd be?
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown is coming close to some former presidents on the "How many ridiculous things can I possibly say while being an important public figure?" list.
Reply/Quote
How can we have a ring of honor when 3 or more of our most noteworthy players of the first 20 years of Mike's tenure demanded trades? Can you put a guy who demanded a trade from your franchise in a ring of honor?

Esiason, Dillon, Palmer, Johnson(?)

Now that's hardly a 4-man HOF squad but I would imagine those are some of the names that the average NFL fan might come up with when you say Bengals. Meh, oh well. How about we just have Marvin Lewis bronzed?
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:30 AM)Nately120 Wrote: How can we have a ring of honor when 3 or more of our most noteworthy players of the first 20 years of Mike's tenure demanded trades?  Can you put a guy who demanded a trade from your franchise in a ring of honor?

Esiason, Dillon, Palmer, Johnson(?)

Now that's hardly a 4-man HOF squad but I would imagine those are some of the names that the average NFL fan might come up with when you say Bengals.  Meh, oh well.  How about we just have Marvin Lewis bronzed?

Because there was 20 years before that? 
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:34 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Because there was 20 years before that? 

Not demanding statues of Kenny Anderson and his compatriots is on Paul, but that's a good point.  Mikey actually has the easy out of honoring someone he DIDN'T have the chance to alienate and he still refuses.  Holy crap, that's way worse than I thought!
Reply/Quote
I really like the concept of the statues. Right next door...the Reds are doing it right in a way to greet their fans and show their history. A statue of both Paul and Anthony seems like common sense.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:58 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I really like the concept of the statues.  Right next door...the Reds are doing it right in a way to greet their fans and show their history.  A statue of both Paul and Anthony seems like common sense.

Fittingly, I live in Pittsburgh and all the Pirates do is honor and feature statues of the guys from the 60's and 70s because...well, they didn't win jack for 20+ years.  Sounds familiar, right?
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 05:40 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Paul Dehner/Cincinnati.com

"I understand the players," Brown said at the team's annual media luncheon. "They want to be remembered. I think it is a good thing to do that. We have never traded here on nostalgia. That's probably my fault. Because a little of it is a good thing. Fans like that sort of thing. What I'm saying is I'm stewing on it. I'm aware of the discomfort with our position."

Full Article
Says the guy who won't sell the naming rights to Paul Brown Stadium while poor mouthing to Hamilton County.

"Probably"?  LMAO
Reply/Quote
I understand the reasoning for ignoring individual accomplishments for any given year.

I don't understand how Mike Brown can't differentiate 1 year versus a 8 to 15 year career.

He missed the boat on this decision over the years in my opinion.

If worried about the selection process being fair, decide specific minimums and then have a committee of all time greats be involved in the final decision, start with Munoz being recognized. Then, once anyone is added, they become a member of the selection committee. Over time, the honored players could be the full committee.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I have to admit that I'm just jealous that when I'm at work and someone says "Hey, why don't you do ____?" I can't say "Meh, maybe when I'm dead someone else will do _____." and get away with it.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Not demanding statues of Kenny Anderson and his compatriots is on Paul, but that's a good point.  Mikey actually has the easy out of honoring someone he DIDN'T have the chance to alienate and he still refuses.  Holy crap, that's way worse than I thought!

He probably realizes that if he honors guys like Kenny and Munoz while avoiding guys like Pickens, Dillon, Palmer and Chad, it will be clear that he's avoiding certain players. 

He should let the grudges go and honor the disgruntled players as well. They had legitimate reasons to be upset. Of course, Mike Brown probably disagrees.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 09:08 PM)Anderson HOF Wrote: Well maybe you missed the main part of the article, he actually took blame and said he is relooking at it.. does it really matter that much how he said it ?  We complain that Mike does not care about retired players and then we complain when he takes blame.. amazing

PS.. The Browns do a lot of good for old players and the community but they don't boast about it and keep it as private as possible..  Greg Cook is a prime example.... 
A ring of honor or hof, statues, museum are done for the fans. Hence the justified criticism.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I'm amazed at how clueless he came off. He may be stewing on the decision of honoring our former greats, but I'm guessing we won't see one of them honored until Katie takes over.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote